Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 AM
Does anyone go to the cinema alone?

I don't get to go to the cinema as often as I would like. I miss a lot of new releases because my girlfriend doesn't want to see them. I'd love to go to the cinema on a weekly basis, more if the time was available. Unfortunately due to having a lack of cinema-going mates, this would involve me going to the cinema on my own.

I don't know why this bothers me so much. I have done it in the past, when I was at University, I'd nip up town and check out the latest releases. Maybe it's my imagination, but there seems to be some stigma about going to the cinema on your own. I must say I've never remarked upon anyone sitting on their own in a cinema before. I worry I would feel self-conscious.

I'm going to go on my own this weekend though. I really want to see Lawless.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:44 PM
I do ... usually because it's off the "normal" hours and usually there's no more than 20 peoples in the theater like a sunday at 10pm or a friday afternoon.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:06 PM
I do it all the time and almost prefer it. No need to worry about seating preferences, talking, etc etc. I'm definitely not a loner in general, but I enjoy the process of a film by myself.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:07 PM
I do, I'm generally interested in films my friends don't want to pay $10 to see.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Ya, i go to the theater all the time by my oneseys! Mainly because I have unreliable friends who are always like "Hey lets see so and so" and then the time comes and they either forget or just bail! So I just get sick of waiting and if there is a movie I want to see, I will go at a time when it wont be super busy and see it, and then sometimes my friends will say Hey lets go see so and so today" and I may end up seeing the same movie twice!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:29 PM
i prefer going alone. i can't focus on the film if someone is with me. i also tend to sit at the very back in the corner away from most.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:14 PM
I usually enjoy going to the cinema with my wife but when there's a movie that I want to see and she doesn't,I have no problem going by myself
Old 09-10-2012, 04:42 PM
All the time since I have conflicting schedules with some of my friends.

Also, a lot of my friends are not big time movie buffs like myself so they probably wouldnt be all about seeing stuff like The Master or Tree of Life
Old 09-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
I do it all the time and almost prefer it. No need to worry about seating preferences, talking, etc etc. I'm definitely not a loner in general, but I enjoy the process of a film by myself.
Indeed. I go alone all the time. I love it. Peace and quiet so I can focus on the film. Plus my girlfriend doesn't like to see a lot of the stuff I do.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
I don't get to go to the cinema as often as I would like. I miss a lot of new releases because my girlfriend doesn't want to see them. I'd love to go to the cinema on a weekly basis, more if the time was available. Unfortunately due to having a lack of cinema-going mates, this would involve me going to the cinema on my own.
Dude. I go to the cinema on my own 90% of the time. And no offense intended to you or your girlfriend, but just because she doesn't want to frequent the theater as much as you, why does that stop you? I actually hear this exact same thing from many people, both online, and in real life. There's absolutely nothing wrong or abnormal about going to see a movie on your own. If your girlfriend has any grasp of how much of a movie buff you really are, then she should allow you to go with your mates, or on your own. And she should not feel left out. I'm guessing that she has her own friends, and does the whole shopping for hours on end thing, right?

Just my 2 cents worth, dude.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Lack of women out there interested in someone is the main reason why i go to the theaters alone.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I friggin love going to the movies by myself...a huge reason is that my job sometimes depends on weather so if there's a rainy day on a Friday and I have off I will not hesitate to go to the movie theater at 11 a.m. with me, myself and I. My friends think I'm strange but then again they just don't have the same passion I do for film...

My two big "rules" are that if I know somebody else wants to go see the movie, I'll wait for them and comedies....I would just feel weird watching a comedy in a theater by myself...I guess because I feel that laughter is always better when shared but who knows.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Well l have to admit l have gone to the cinema alone

When my daughter was a baby l wanted to see a film and the only way l could go was alone

my brother and his wife told me they would look after my baby for the night so l could go

i walked into the theatre and sat down with the rest of the crowd and felt like a fool at first but l realized that you get so foused in a film that it just doesnt matter whether you are alone or not

I still feel that it is good to go to see a movie with a freind but sometimes you get to the point that if you want to go you just force yourself to go and in the end it can still be a good night

I am glad l went and really enjoyed my self
Old 09-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
I would just feel weird watching a comedy in a theater by myself...I guess because I feel that laughter is always better when shared but who knows.
It is always better when shared. Much better.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 PM
i was just thinking that when you go on a date with a man

it is lovely to hug and kiss in the dark plus watch the film too grins
Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 PM
I did in high school because there weren't many people that would go see the kinds of movies I wanted to see.

But I got spoiled by being amongst all sorts of other film fans in university and I have almost never seen a movie by myself since then except for the occasional film at a film festival.

I'm living in Ottawa again now where most people I know are not into the films I really love but I find it hard to go out and watch movies by myself anymore (plus the selection in Ottawa is often lacking with arthouse theatres playing the movies I want to see far later than in Toronto and the whole experience - sound quality, etc being far more mediocre). For me, film - like music, is best as a communal thing, I enjoy the shared experience with friends, the chats afterwards, etc. I mean, I guess that's why I first found this forum after all, to find other people to discuss with. But then I had uni and roommates who were always willing to talk movies and watch pretty much anything and it just doesn't feel the same any more to go watch a movie by myself.

I've actually slowed the pace of watching movies by myself at home as well which is why I have a lot of films from the past year or two to catch up on and why I've seen more shitty mainstream movies than interesting ones as of late.

Don't get me wrong, I still think you can be wrapped up in and enjoy a film by yourself - when I do actually sit down and catch up on movies that I've missed, I still enjoy them immensely - but I find after living with friends for four years and missing that, nowadays I almost always pick hanging out with friends over watching a movie alone. Ideally of course, the two would mesh and I'd be hanging out with friends by watching an interesting movie in a theatre.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with seeing a movie by yourself. I've never looked at people alone at a theatre strangely or anything. The experience is just missing something for me personally. But I think I'm the opposite of many people on these forums in that I much prefer a packed house (even with some annoying people and cellphones thrown in) over an empty theatre. I really enjoy art the most when I can share in it with others, as corny as that sounds. It's the same reason I don't go to art galleries or concerts on my own.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 09-10-2012 at 08:37 PM..
Old 09-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
I've never looked at people alone at a theatre strangely or anything.
Not even if they're wearing a big trench coat, and you can't see their hands?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Oh God Of war
Why did you have to bring that in to the discussion

Just thinking of it makes me want to put a huge cover on my theatre seat
Old 09-10-2012, 08:54 PM
I really like going to the movies by myself, often even more than with company, although I'll always call a friend to see if he/she wants to go with me.

I don't think there's a stigma behind it. I watch a lot of movies that other people might not want to, so many times I find myself going alone and that's fine by me. Sometimes I'll even spend all day at the movie theater just watching movies by myself.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Well you are right there are diffrent movies some freinds do not like and the only way you can go is by yourself

I dont see there is any shame in going to a movie on your own

At least you can see the movie and tell the members on the forum
Old 09-10-2012, 09:49 PM
No one wanted to or were not able to see The Descendants, My Week With Marilyn, The Artist, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Crazy, Stupid, Love., or Moonrise Kingdom with me so I flew solo on those missions.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't have seen 70% of the films that I have seen in my lifetime if I didn't go to the theatre alone.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 PM
yeah, I actually enjoy it. If it's a big premiere like TDKR or The Avengers then I like the midnight showing with a few friends. But if it's something that's more run of the mill I'll wait a few weeks and then try to catch an afternoon show by myself and hopefully I can even have the entire theater to myself.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 PM
i always do because none of my friends are movie buffs.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 PM
If you're not a loner and are used to having friends around, it must seem unusual to go to the theater on your own. I've always been a loner, and when my family moved to a new town, in which I could ride my bike to the movies, it was great. That was in 1997. 2002 and 2003 were very particular years. The last two years of high school were awful, and my second home was the movie theater. Every week for almost every new mainstream release. Saw 110 total movies both years. That aspect of those years were wonderful.

When commercials started getting out of hand, I began taking my CD walkman with me to avoid them and the previews that were becoming longer and more spoilerific. Nowadays, most previews are unbearable! They spoil everything! I still take my CD walkman, because I don't care for all the new iTechnology crap.

But in all this, I never felt out of place in the theater alone. And neither should anyone else not used to going by themselves. People don't point at you out and stare at you as if you're an alien. And by all means, if the commercials and previews are unbearable (and you are alone with no one to help you survive them), bring your MP3 player or whatever new music device people listen to nowadays. It will save you from the misery.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 09-10-2012 at 11:09 PM..
Old 09-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Damn Duke, 110 movies? That's impressive. As far as the show put on before the film these days it's funny you point that out. I recall being at TDKR midnight showing and just happened to scan the theater an hour before the show. All I saw were phone screens and tablets. As a society we have become so dependent on multimedia and tech devices to keep up occupied so we don't look "foolish" not doing anything. God forbid someone brings a book or has an insightful conversation with the person they came to the theater with. As the great Bob Dylan said, Times they are a-Changin'.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:42 PM
I could go on and on about how annoying it is see most people becoming so dependent on mini-computers and mini-TV's they can take with them everywhere. At least give them a break at the movies. Leave them at home or in your car. Relax. As a result, I make sure to go to the movies earlier in the day, or wait a week or two, to avoid the stupid crowd. People might notice me listening to an old-school walkman before the movie, and assume that I traveled here from the 1980's or 1990's, and I don't care one bit.

For big movies like TDKR, I had to see that immediately. Even though I don't care much for Christopher Nolan's very dark vision of the comic (too dark and not fun imo). Had to see it for myself. There are certain event movies in which even the stupid, inconsiderate people know they want to see it without distraction and show respect. TDKR was one of them. You can count on bigger, more respected franchise movies sometimes for a better experience. The lesser known big movies, watch out.

110 movies in both of those years was something. After that, I started slowing down. 80 movies in 2004 and lower. I used to keep track of every movie I saw on file with the date I saw each one and their rating. Stopped in 2008. It had to break down after those explosive years. Now, I feel like I've seen everything. And have become more interested in seeing older, forgotten horror movies I can get my hands on at horror conventions. I must have seen 15 to 20 movies at the theater last year and probably this year, too. Will be seeing "Resident Evil 5" this week without question. It remains an old-school and reliable franchise, even though it should have stopped at "Resident Evil 4" two years ago.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 09-10-2012 at 11:54 PM..
Old 09-10-2012, 11:50 PM
You're right about big crowds and respect for certain films. For TDKR once the the Zimmer score started and the SYNCOPY logo popped up everyone got silent. A very respectful, sold out crowd. Hell, I even remember seeing a midnight showing of 'The Amazing Spider-Man' and people being obnoxious during the previews. But when TDKR trailer hit everyone got silent. Respect really has to be earned by the yuppies that go out to theaters on opening night and Nolan has certainly earned it.

What suggestions do you have about older horror films? With October coming up I want to broaden my horizon in that genre that I love so much.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:01 AM
I have been reviewing numerous older horror films in the Horror Reviews forum. I wrote a lot of full-length reviews for a year, and am now writing shorter reviews in "The Video Store" thread. Check out the first five pages of that forum. There are a lot of older horror movies I recommend, too many to list here. Or give me a day to go through those lists of movies.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 09-11-2012 at 12:03 AM..
Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 AM
I'll save you the time and take a look at the thread. Thanks
Old 09-11-2012, 12:25 AM
yes. usually when I used to go with a girl we always went to see a movie I wouldn't mind seeing, not necessarily that I wanted to see, but at that point I think it's more about hanging out with her.

I usually take my movie watching more seriously so I don't really mind going alone
Old 09-11-2012, 07:49 AM
I go alone most of the time. I'm a film fan and none of my friends are. So occasionally they'll join me for a blockbuster, but the rest of the time, it's just me.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Well it seems that going to the cinema alone is not that uncommon, so I'll be checking out a couple of flicks this weekend. Probably try and see Lawless and The Amazing Spiderman (that's at my small local cinema which get's all the art-house flicks and the blockbusters later on)
Old 09-11-2012, 09:13 PM
It's been awhile, but I used to go alone to movies all the time. My favorite thing when I lived in NYC was to go into an Indie movie house, and watch whatever was playing there w no prior knowledge of the film. I'd make a point of not reading any reviews ahead of time, just loved watching it unfold w no preconceptions. Hard to get people to do that w you. Also, easier to do that alone, cuz if it ends up being a dud, you don't have to listen to anyone's complaining afterwards. I've very rarely ever regretted an Indie movie, tho.

I live in the suburbs now, and find that fewer people go to the movies by themselves. Maybe people in urban areas are freer thinkers, or feel more independent for some reason.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:32 AM
Early in the day when there aren't many people. It's also cheaper sometimes.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:50 AM
I go to the movies alone all the time. I enjoy going with my wife or with friends, but my wife doesn't want to see every movie I do and work schedules sometimes get in the way of going with my friends. Sometimes, it's a last second thing and I go to a movie to kill time.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:23 AM
Yep. I go alone all the time as well. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:48 AM
nice post for us film geeks.we wouldnt b here in this forum if we hadnt done that.i often go to movies alone.sometimes i go to movies with my friends on first day first show for blockbuster movies,which my friends r interested in.i go alone to 1)even blockbuster movies when my friends r not available 2)to watch some non-mainstream films when my friends r not interested 3)if i like a film and want to watch it Repeat times,my friends dont come with me as they hav seen it once. First i used to feel weird abt going to films alone bcoz i used to think that someone might feel weird abt me coming alone.and i used to fear that it wud b awkward if someone we know wud bump into us, in the theatre and ask me why i came alone.but now ,i got over those kinda feelings.i got used to goin alone when i hav to.what i like abt watchin the movie alone is u can focus on the movie more.i feel better if no one sits beside me,so that i can sit freely.i hate it when some annoying person with bad body odour sits beside me.i like havin some crowd in the theatre bcoz i like observing audience reactions to the scenes in the movie
Old 09-15-2012, 05:15 AM
All the time, in part because I tend to wait a few weeks before seeing something (by which time everyone else has seen it) and also because I'm there to sit in the dark for 2 hours and watch a film, not socially engage with people.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Probably about half the films I go see, I see by myself. Usually just a case of it being too short-notice to invite anyone, or noone else can be bothered to come, lol.