Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Spider-Man - 6.5/10
Psycho (1960) - 9/10
Old 09-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Coffy (Jack Hill, 1973)

Decided I need to see some more exploitation movies, this was a fun place to start. Although some thing tells me that regardless of what subgenre they belong to, all will fall under the category of "sexploitation".
7/10
Old 09-17-2012, 12:12 PM

Resident Evil: Extinction(2007)-7/10
Old 09-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Dredd 3D - 7/10

3D is agony on my eyeballs. I've yet to see a film use the medium and sway me. In spite of this, Dredd is quite an enjoyable experience. For some time. It has an easy-as-ABC plot and is small on surprises, but it's wickedly gaudy, unashamed, adult FUN. It dwindled for me when it missed the shot to effectively utilize a plot thread involving the other Judges. It had the opportunity to rack up the tension, but it was all over too soon and then it was on to more level-stepping gun-mayhem.

I'd like to see it make some moolah to give some decent funding for another as I can see some potential here.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Confidential Agent with Charles Boyer and Lauren Bacall - A decent spy thriller in which Boyer travels to England to seek support during the Spanish Civil War. I'm not sure why this was such a bomb when it was released - it's hardly a great film but it does have its merits. Boyer was solid in the lead role and Peter Lorre was fun too. 6/10

Road to Bali - This isn't as good as the other Road films I've seen (Morocco and Singapore) but there are still some good laughs. Bob Hope had plenty of good jokes and the ending was hilarious. 7/10
Old 09-18-2012, 02:35 AM

Resident Evil: Afterlife(2010)-6/10
Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Resident Evil: Retribution - * 1/2

Awful movie. Easily the worst entry of the franchise. Makes the mediocre installments 1, 3 and 4 look like masterpieces by comparison. The second film remains the only one that I enjoyed. One of the year's worst movies.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Resident Evil: Retribution - * 1/2

Awful movie. Easily the worst entry of the franchise. Makes the mediocre installments 1, 3 and 4 look like masterpieces by comparison. The second film remains the only one that I enjoyed. One of the year's worst movies.
That's so funny.
I really liked 1 the most. Part 2 I hate more than anything else I can compare it to.
The others... they pretty much sucked real bad. I actually saw all of them in theater. This will be the first installment I'm skipping.
I just happened to see the others by happenstance in theater (part 4 because my mom wanted to see a horror movie and none others were playing... part 5 because it was free on base, etc...)
Old 09-18-2012, 03:34 PM

Resident Evil: Retribution(2012)-7/10
Old 09-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Cop - 6/10
Old 09-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1

Very good. Surprisingly violent actually

8/10
Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 PM
The Heineken Kidnapping - 6/10
Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Voodoo Moon - What a horrible pile of shit. Charisma Carpenter was the only one who looked like she had acted before appearing in this turd. 2/10

From Prada to Nada - A decent interpretation of Sense and Sensibility. I liked Camilla Belle in one of the lead roles even if Alexa Vega didn't really fit as the other lead. 6/10
Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Trespass (1992)

Directed by action maestro Walter Hill and with a lead role for Bill Paxton this sounds like a great combination. Alas this turns out to be a very by the numbers thriller that can't really muster up anything overly exciting.

The film is quite similar to another thriller by the title of 'Judgment Night' plot wise. Some out of town blue collar guys get themselves into a difficult situation with a local gang or hoods. In this film the two men are trapped within an old vacant building whilst looking for some lost stolen treasure while in the other film some men are lost and trapped within a broken down dodgy neighbourhood.

The problem with this film is the bad guys, a gang made up of stereotypical cliched black hoods that are covered in bling and can't speak proper English. The casting has big names admittedly and includes most well known black character actors but for some reason Hill chose to cast Ice-T and Ice Cube...oh dear. Needless to say the acting from this pair is dire and ruins any potential tension whenever they are on screen.

Overall there isn't really much tension a tall frankly, not enough to make you care whether Paxton or Sadler (good guys) make it out alive or not. Its an old film now yes so you could excuse the predictable obligatory stuff that's included, you know Sadler is the unhinged guy that will crack through gold fever (the lost stolen items) and you know all the hoods will turn on each other. Ice Cube makes that rather obvious the moment he utters his first words.

Reasonably entertaining but lacking real bite. The reason 'Judgment Night' was so cool was down to the great casting of Leary as the main bad guy, this similar film is missing that key casting. Paxton is limp, Sadler is better as a villain and action is AWOL. The ending is slightly unique in the fact it doesn't end as you would think, doesn't make it any better though.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 PM
The Legend of Nigger Charley (Martin Goldman, 1972)

The start of a trilogy of films bearing titles that are bound to inspire initial lulz, little do people know they might actually be worth a watch though. I haven't seen many (or any) slavery movies so maybe that's why I think this film does well to capture the journey of a newly free man and how he feels. Yes the dialogue is exploitative, but it certainly hit a nerve with me and made me think rather than simply accept the "right on!" vibe that is a trope of these films. It is slightly let down by a repetitive third act, but otherwise it's a good movie.
7/10
Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 PM
wow ... the RE franchise is really polarizing opinion lol

fine with me

anyway ... i'm not here for that

Magic Mike

not the kind of movie i really wanted to watch but then you meet some classy lad who wants to see it but not alone ... so you get promise some "action" afterward . Fuck yeah ! i'll see some dicks on screens if need be.

Well the bitch lied ... i got no action. Still , the movie isn't the sausage fest everyone think it is. Actually it's an OK movie. Could have been better without the open-ended ending. Olivia Munn goes topless for 10-15 seconds at the beginning so YEEEEEEEAAAAAH ( like Horatio Caine would say ).

Found it enjoyable overall .... Chanum does 2-3 awesome dance numbers. The dubstep one with the 100 "spin-on-yourself" monkey ring number was awesome. Maybe he can't act but he can dance ( he was in 1 of the Step Up movie afterall .. i think ).

7/10
Old 09-18-2012, 10:05 PM
watching my 10th favorite film of all time

10/10
Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Red Lights - 5/10
Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 PM
The Wizard of Oz

The kind of classic that you should (and probably have, let’s not be naive) seen as a kid to really appreciate its timeless charm. But even not having seen Victor Fleming’s indelible adaptation in full till now, I still couldn’t avoid it in general, in my case as a stage performance at a local theatre. So this was pretty much just a formality of a long overdue viewing. It’s a family movie with a big heart, a big imagination, and a big obsession with Technicolor’s many severely colorful benefits. Even for those jaded grunts like me who don’t dig on musicals can find a lot to enjoy in the iconic characters and catchy songs that, despite my not having seen them in their element like this, I immediately knew the lyrics to anyway. If you don’t recognize “Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead” or “Somewhere Over The Rainbow”, you’ve probably been living under a rock. Or wherever Mitt Romney’s from. Judy Garland’s performance is a bit over the top now, but she commits to it with such passion and gusto that I can’t find fault in it. It’s just too earnest. And Toto! Best dog performance ever, perhaps? Suck it, Rin Tin Tin.

-> 7/10
Old 09-19-2012, 04:34 PM
The Bourne Legacy

Well ... i had no/low expectations when i went in the theater. A Bourne sequel without Matt Damon didn't sound great. Paul Greengrass not helming the project sounded worst.

To my surprise , the movie stands on its own while incorporating the original storyline since The Bourne Legacy happens between the 2nd & 3rd Bourne movie. To be precise , it happens in the same timeline as The Bourne Ultimatum.

While Bourne's story was about him trying to remember and wanting to be left alone , Aaron Cross comes out as one who knows what's happening and doesn't want to be left out in the cold.

The movie retains the pace of the original trilogy while bringing something new to the table

7.5/10
Old 09-19-2012, 07:08 PM
The Mack (Michael Campus, 1973)

A good pimp movie with some nice performances, loved Richard Pryor in the buddy role.
7/10
Old 09-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Red Lights - 5/10
Bummer! What's bad about it though?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:38 AM
Crimson Tide (1995)

Where would we all be without the good US of A to save the world at the drop of a hat huh. This time its the proud US Navy that gets to show us their stuff and stop those pesky Russians once again, darn pesky Russians.

A Bruckheimer/Simpson production and boy can you tell, a veritable feast for the eyes with the standard graphic novel-like adaptation imagery that looks glossy, sharp and always exciting (with the assistance of some guy called Michael Bay). All together these three guys created some memorable action flicks that really are the true meaning of blockbuster.

'Crimson Tide' is no exception, well maybe one small exception, and that's the fact this film is probably the most sensible, realistic action flick they've created. Now if you will, this is my little videogame analogy of these flicks. Most of the Bruckheimer/Simpson flicks are what I would call 'arcade' type action flicks, they're big, loud, flashy and give plenty of bang for your buck.
'Crimson Tide' is more of a 'simulator' action flick in the simple fact its more realistic with deeper tension. This of course would be down to the brilliant direction of Ba...errr Scott who knows his way around a good looking military action flick.

So in short the visuals here are crisp, smoky and sweat inducing in nice shades of green, blue and red. Life aboard a sub has been created seriously well and you really get that tight feeling as the camera peers down steel tubes and stairwells. Despite the fact almost the entire film takes place in the sub you never once lose interest as we go from action stations against Russian subs to one mutiny after another as Washington faces off against Hackman.

This of course leads me to the cast which is really superb here. Even the small fry roles played by small fry character actors are decent. The big guns naturally fire on all cylinders, Hackman is pretty intimidating as the sub Captain whilst Washington easily gains your support as the 'good guy' of sorts. Supporting roles are also solid with Gandolfini in his usual slightly nasty persona, the guy who likes to make his presence known, and Mortensen as the guy torn between his captain and friend.

Nice early build up into the film as we gather the crew and see what each are like. There isn't too much in special effects either as most of the action is simply viewing the crew and sub innards as each suspenseful situation looms, kicks off and passes. Brave move that pays off as you would expect lots of fancy CGI sequences. Finally a stirring moving bold musical score to really bring home the seriousness and heroism of the story...less you forget this is an American military thriller damn it!!

So end of the day yes you know how it will all end, pretty obvious of course. You know which man will stand tall and victorious by the end credits. You know there will be a change of character by the loser and you know there's bound to be a scene where men get trapped in the bowels of the sub and must be sacrificed to save the rest of the crew. Many typical scenes where the crew must decide who is in charge and if they're doing it the right way, the Navy way, the American way...cue rousing musical score and close ups of sweaty stern jawed faces.

I like to think of this as Scott's grown up follow up to 'Top Gun' (had to mention it). All the hallmarks of a slick military action flick but much more sensible without 80's pop music and male posing. I saw this opening night at the cinema (ye olde Warner Village cinema's) back when I was a young teen and liked it, I still like it now, what more can I say!?.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:14 AM
getting ready for next thursday

9/10

i say next thursday because that's when i get paid
Old 09-20-2012, 08:06 AM

8/10
Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Brake (6/10)
Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 AM
I watched Hour of the Wolf, Ingmar Bergman's only horror film. Man, what a fascinating picture. It's his most abstract film, and full of creepy, symbolic moments. It's about an artist living with his girlfriend on an isolated, rocky island, who slowly grows mad. He stays awake each night during the Hour of the Wolf, the hour of night where most people die, and those who are awake feel fear. What's interesting is that his madness starts to rub off on his girlfriend.

You're never really sure what is actually happening, or what is some sort of hallucination. Typical of Bergman, there are moments of introspection and shame of past actions. It's one of those movies that you'll probably change your mind about every time you watch it. Great visuals and fascinating cinematography. The lighting in each scene reveals as much as the dialogue. There is a dinner scene with upper class inhabitants of the island that reminds me of a Fellini scene(perhaps La Dolce Vita) through a filter of despair and resentment.

It's something I need to watch again during the actual hour of the wolf. I've yet to see a Bergman film I didn't love.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I watched Hour of the Wolf, Ingmar Bergman's only horror film. Man, what a fascinating picture.
added
Old 09-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
added
Cool, I should point out that it's available on Netflix instant watch for anybody who is interested.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Greed - The full version of this must have truly been a masterpiece. As it is with stills being a large part of the film it is still quite a good story. I only wish someone could find a print of the full length film. 8/10
Old 09-20-2012, 07:32 PM
The Encounter - 3/10
Christian trash.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Daylight (1996)

Take 'The Poseidon Adventure' and simply place the whole idea underground in a tunnel and you have the film 'Daylight'.

This film has everything you would expect from your typical disaster film. The film starts by slowly building the characters one by one, giving them each reasons why they all end up using Holland Tunnel, whilst at the same time another sub plot sets up the reason for the disaster.

The reason for the outrageous incident is merely a car chase that causes a major crash into some toxic waste trucks...yeah so kinda lame then. All the survivors are the perfect line up of cliched stereotypical types which enables you to know who will live or die straight away. The setups for each type of character are all so obvious too...convicts and a cop, the old man, the panicky women and the one calm one etc...

You have a mouthy young black man who's also a touchy convict (gee I wonder if he lives?), a frail old white guy, screaming panicky women, the suit wearing business man, a wannabe hero, some other young convicts including Stallone's son, a cop and a tunnel worker. So you have one or two folk who are trapped there conveniently so all hope is not lost straight away eg. tunnel worker and cop. Most are obvious fodder for the collapsing/flooding/flaming tunnel.

What disaster film would be complete without the obligatory animal within the death and destruction?. Well this film doesn't let you softies off as there is (as usual) a dog involved which ALWAYS gets the viewers upset. Such an easy way to get the emotions running when the little doggie is in peril, its cliched, predictable and cheesy as hell but it never fails to work.

So into the fray leaps Stallone who has nothing to do with anything but just turns up and decides to save the day single handily against all recommendations from everyone. Oh wait, he used to be a chief medical something or other, meh...its Stallone, doesn't need a reason.

Despite the heavy grilled cheese the film does actually look really sound. All the effects/stunts look great and don't look seem to use too much CGI, bluescreen is evident and obvious but its not that bad. The initial disaster that sparks a chain reaction of events and a huge fireball is pretty impressive I must say, some good model work in there I think also. From there on the whole film constantly looks impressive with great sets that really give a good impression of a crumbling death trap with plenty of water, fire, rubble, metal debris and sparking electrics into the brew.

So yes the entire thing is one huge melted cheese sandwich which we've all seen before and know off by heart. You could say if you've seen one disaster film you've seen them all. Certainly this is very obvious stuff but its still quite enjoyable to watch mainly because it all looks really good. The tunnel setting is also quite original methinks.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:59 AM
Kill List (6/10)
Old 09-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Police Story - 6/10
Police Story 2 - 5/10
Old 09-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Chronos

I've been meaning to check this one out forever, finally did. I'm a huge Ron Fricke fan, his photography and timelapse is just stunning work. This is an earlier film he's done, way before Koyaanisqatsi, and Baraka. I watched it with the commentary too, which was pretty insightful, and funny.

How do you even put a rating to an experience like that? It's great, check it out
Old 09-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Raging Bull

Finally finished this. I ain't gonna write my thoughts, instead I'll tell you a quick story.

So I'm watching Raging Bull w/commentary on, and I stopped to get some milk and cookies. I go back, resume the film.. and take a sip of milk from the glass as it cuts to DeNiro as Lamotta in his "fat" period, and as Scorsese talks I stop paying attention to what he says, I see the images before me, and I hear DeNiro say something like "lose weight, lose weight" and I look at him all fat and with a busted nose. I nearly spilt the entire glass from the outburst of laughter.

8/10
Old 09-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Flesh and the Devil with Greta Garbo - A decent melodrama with an unexpected ending. Garbo was fantastic as was John Gilbert who plays her lover. It may be a bit predictable through most of the film but it was fun. 7/10

Blood Diamond - This was really intense. Some of the scenes in the civil war were very tense. The lead actors were all good even if some of the minor characters weren't very interesting. 7/10
Old 09-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Resident Evil: Damnation (2012)

Right I'm gonna be honest here and admit I lost the plot with 'Resi Evil' along time ago. I had the very first original game and followed the plot easily. Since then the story has spiralled off in various directions and has morphed into something quite different from the original simple idea.

Thusly I am completely unable to determine if this new CGI animated sequel is accurate or follows on from any part of the numerous videogames. Of course the bottom line is if you wanna see a good proper Resi Evil flick then this is what you watch, unlike the comicbook style live action films.

Yes this film is bloody and violent with no holds barred on what you expect from the Resi Evil franchise. I'm confident any fans will get a kick outta this new offering with some great creature action, zombie action and your obligatory slow motion action sequences which show off the crisp CGI to the smallest pixel.

For me...I didn't really like it. Why? because the plot is sooooo so unexplained, do you have to be a Resi Evil fanboy to get this?. No reason for anything that happens or why, characters are dull and stereotypical plus it just feels like a long videogame ingame sequence, but I guess that can't really be helped. I also found the CGI to be very very good on the human characters, especially facial close ups, but rather average on pretty much everything else!. Lip syncing on speech is still somewhat lacking and looks a bit crappy hehe.

As for plot points, I didn't like the fact certain humans can now control the Bio-Organic Weapons through their mind via some kind of 'technological advancement'. That advancement being an 'Alien 3' rip where by the Bio-Organic Weapon uses a human host to live in which creates a connection between the two, eh?. I also didn't understand where all this 'BOW's' came from either, this one guy controlled them and there seemed to be a never ending stream of the things...from nowhere.

Other issues cropped up like the zombies going round stuffing these embryo type things down uninfected peoples throats. I guess they were the BOW embryo's that would enable humans to control them, but why would the zombies be doing that? who is controlling the zombies? oh my!.
Finally who or what on earth were these huge pale bald 'Mortal Kombat' looking characters in the finale??. Just popped up from nowhere, virtually indestructible and looked like the alien space jockeys from 'Prometheus'.

What really bugs me about Resi Evil now is the fact its become a kind of monster mash with no real suspense anymore. Its just a guns blazing, blood spilling, in your face monster brawl along the lines of 'Mortal Kombat', the original spooky horror element has faded away for pure adrenaline soaked action. I also feel the whole idea has been milked too much and the 'Umbrella' company lost its mystery yonks ago.

This is definitely the kind of Resi Evil film your looking for if your a fan but for uninitiated folk like myself it may seem a bit hectic and raise many questions. Questions like...what on Titan is going on here!?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:31 AM
Crowsnest - 6/10
Watchable but unimpressive (with one insanely annoying actor/character) found footage horror.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:16 AM
watched on bluray

8/10
Closed Thread