Old 03-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Chess

... is indeed a sport (or, at least the Olympics says it is).

Anyway, I'm addicted. I learned how to play when I was probably 8 or 9 but never really thought anything of it. Then, probably six months ago, I busted out the chess board and have been playing non-stop ever since. I find myself with three internet browser windows open - one for an actual live game of chess, the other on chessgames.com studying old games from the masters, and another open to a page concerning tactics (endgame, formations, attacks, etc.)

Anyone else completely smitten with this beautiful little board game?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:01 PM
I love chess and don't know enough ppl who actually even know how to play for some reason. Those who do don't like playing me either, heh.

I wouldn't say i'm all that good at it though by comparison to what is supposed to make you good at it. I can't do things like think a few turns ahead very well and usually come out on top due to being able to adapt what i'm trying to do turn by turn.

I used to love playing Battle Chess on old computers back in the day and seeing all the cool animations of pieces killing each other. Battle Chess was probably what cemented my general interest in the game at a young age.

I have a decent department store quality wooden chess set that i've had for more then 15 years now. Every once and a while i'll find someone to have a few games against though it has been a while. I can't really be bothered to play unless its with an actual board and person though. To me Chess is sort of like Poker in that you need to read your opponent to do well and you just can't do that over the internet, heh.

I love playing someone who tries to free up their Rooks first as i usually crush them in 4 turns. I usually play black as i like to have the second move and i mostly start by freeing up my Bishops and Queen.

Last edited by vesaker; 03-09-2012 at 05:34 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 10:35 AM
I used to play a lot in high school and early college. Yahoo Chess online. Got my ranking up to about 1800 (which was pretty good on their ladder system) but then lost to some real scrubs, ranking went down to like 1550, and lost interest.

I still play once in a while. The school where I work has a chess club, and although I'm not the faculty advisor, I still go sometimes to play with some of the kids. Pretty fun, but I'm not as good as I used to be.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:54 PM
I love it, even though I really suck at it. For me it's hard to come up with a long-term strategy. I can stay in the moment, or maybe a step or two ahead, but I've never even attempted to study the Bobby Fischer moves.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Chess is for wussies.

Chessboxing, now there's a sport.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:32 PM
I don't understand how it's a sport.... At all. Why isn't checkers a sport then? Monopoly? Pictionary? I mean come the fuck on!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Bishop to pawn 4, checkmate bitches.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:03 PM
I love chess and chessboxing

And I wouldn't lump it in the same category as checkers or monopoly. That's ridiculous. That's like lumping laptops in the same category as typewriters.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
I love chess and chessboxing

And I wouldn't lump it in the same category as checkers or monopoly. That's ridiculous. That's like lumping laptops in the same category as typewriters.

Uhm, really? Inferring that chess is the equivalent of a typewriter, right?
Old 03-11-2012, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Uhm, really? Inferring that chess is the equivalent of a typewriter, right?
Uhm, no. Uhm, Chess has been proven to increase your logic, reasoning, and abstract thinking skills. Monopoly hasn't. FACT.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:11 AM
I'm a member on chess.com and play under the name "thejointchief" there if any of you schmoes wanna make something happen...
Old 03-14-2012, 01:20 AM
I played Gata Kamsky.

I beat him.
But only after he checkmated me.

I was charged for assault.
So I guess he wins TWICE!

Zing!

I wish I liked chess, but I find that although I'm big into critical thinking, reasoning and have the kind of thought processes that go well with many people that love chess, I just don't care much for it. I'm not really fond of anything competitive when an opponent is involved.
I liked paying golf. I was a very good bowler at one time. I liked those because it was more about competing against myself and I didn't need someone else to assist me in accomplishing the new record that I wanted to attain.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
Uhm, no. Uhm, Chess has been proven to increase your logic, reasoning, and abstract thinking skills. Monopoly hasn't. FACT.
That's nice. I'm very proud of you.

Last edited by jaw2929; 03-14-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Leave it to you sports fans to argue about something as gorgeous and perfect as chess... let's talk the game schmoes!

And let's play!

Chess.com - get there now
Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Could we move this thread out of the sports forum?
Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 AM
I played chess as a kid. I got into it again after seeing the CHESS MUSICAL by Benny Andersson & Bjorn Ulvaeus of ABBA.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Started playing on chess.com recently, as I'm the faculty advisor for the chess club at the high school where I teach. Gotta get my game up.

I used to be really into it. Knew a bunch of openings, counters, and defenses. Now, I'm not really sure what the Sicilian Defense or a French Opening are any more.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:49 AM
I used to play long time ago with my dad, he taught me everything about it
hire wordpress developers
Old 06-30-2013, 10:19 PM
I love to play chess, although people find it boring still
wordpress developer