#41  
Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Trailer did nothing for me. It was filled with bad action, bad one-liners from Urban, and a story that didn't look all that interesting.

I may pass on this one after all.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-22-2012, 04:50 AM
This looks awful to me.

Looks like The Raid, but without the awesome kung fu.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-22-2012, 04:56 AM
It's funny how everyone is mentioning The Raid because that came first. Well, truth be told Dredd was written before The Raid was even known to anyone. I'm sure had Dredd came out first, everyone would be saying "The Raid looks just like Dredd"
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Well count me in. This looks fucking cool. Love the old school vibe it's giving off.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Looks like a higher budget tv movie that would come on Syfy. Count me out!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
It's funny how everyone is mentioning The Raid because that came first. Well, truth be told Dredd was written before The Raid was even known to anyone. I'm sure had Dredd came out first, everyone would be saying "The Raid looks just like Dredd"
Which begs the question of why exactly Dredd was in post-production for a year and a half. We know that films have similar stories almost every other year. The Armageddon/Deep Impact trend. Inevitably, one movie has to be better, and Dredd faces two disadvantages, many people have seen a very similar film and Dredd looks inferior to that film. It's not our fault the trailer is poor. Even if The Raid didn't exist, we'd be having negative reactions to it.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 PM
I can`t be as bad as that piece of shit Stallone movie.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Dredd faces two disadvantages, many people have seen a very similar film and Dredd looks inferior to that film. It's not our fault the trailer is poor. Even if The Raid didn't exist, we'd be having negative reactions to it.
You say it as if everyone thinks the trailer is poor. Personally I've rewatched it a couple of times, and I'm not alone. Something about the way in which it's cut creates excitement for me. I don't deny it could be a total piece of shit in the end so you always have to keep your expectations in check. Though just because it looks similar to The Raid, or vice versa I'm not going to shit on it. This film had a low budget, so it's to be expected that it won't exactly have the production value of say, Prometheus. However, like Cuatro says, it certainly looks better and much more grittier than Stallone's version. Besides, I'd rather take the low budget and similar plot over PG-13 action film. Script wasn't too bad, and they didn't show a few cool elements that was in it - just the SLO-MO bits and the familiar action you speak of. There's still some tasty stuff in the film

Last edited by Digifruitella; 06-22-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
You say it as if everyone thinks the trailer is poor. Personally I've rewatched it a couple of times, and I'm not alone. Something about the way in which it's cut creates excitement for me. I don't deny it could be a total piece of shit in the end so you always have to keep your expectations in check. Though just because it looks similar to The Raid, or vice versa I'm not going to shit on it. This film had a low budget, so it's to be expected that it won't exactly have the production value of say, Prometheus. However, like Cuatro says, it certainly looks better and much more grittier than Stallone's version. Besides, I'd rather take the low budget and similar plot over PG-13 action film. Script wasn't too bad, and they didn't show a few cool elements that was in it - just the SLO-MO bits and the familiar action you speak of. There's still some tasty stuff in the film
Yeah, I know there are plenty of people that are jazzed for the film, I was just speaking for those that were disappointed with the trailer. And I'd also have to say that people comparing it to the Raid doesn't necessarily have to be a critique. The Raid was a great action film. I do hope that this film successfully revitalizes the franchise, because I think Dredd is a pretty neat character, and I'm always down for more hard-R action films, especially if there are Sci-Fi elements. I wasn't crazy about the trailer, but I'm keeping an open mind for this one.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-23-2012, 01:31 AM
I thought the trailer showed some promise, however I love dystopian settting movies like this so that also has made me more excited for the film.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 06-23-2012, 04:16 PM
It wasn't especially new, but I liked some of the visuals in the trailer, notably the slow-mo segments (some of them reminded me of that opening bomb detonation in "The Hurt Locker, hyper-slow, hyper detailed), and a couple of the large scale shots showing the cities or the environments. We'll have to see about the action scenes and the characterization (the plot SEEMS straightforward, if we can take the 2-minute trailer at face value).
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
You say it as if everyone thinks the trailer is poor. Personally I've rewatched it a couple of times, and I'm not alone. Something about the way in which it's cut creates excitement for me. I don't deny it could be a total piece of shit in the end so you always have to keep your expectations in check. Though just because it looks similar to The Raid, or vice versa I'm not going to shit on it. This film had a low budget, so it's to be expected that it won't exactly have the production value of say, Prometheus. However, like Cuatro says, it certainly looks better and much more grittier than Stallone's version. Besides, I'd rather take the low budget and similar plot over PG-13 action film. Script wasn't too bad, and they didn't show a few cool elements that was in it - just the SLO-MO bits and the familiar action you speak of. There's still some tasty stuff in the film
I'm pretty sure the budget for this is more than double that of The Raid's. Yet that movie looked a lot more interesting from it's trailers alone. No one is saying anyone copied anyone else. It's just that we already saw a similar movie that was well done. Yes, it came out first so the fresh/new factor is obviously gone.

Also, I don't understand why they would want to cast someone as beautiful as Lena Heady just to make her look ugly. Arn't there ugly actresses who can act?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
I'm pretty sure the budget for this is more than double that of The Raid's. Yet that movie looked a lot more interesting from it's trailers alone. No one is saying anyone copied anyone else. It's just that we already saw a similar movie that was well done. Yes, it came out first so the fresh/new factor is obviously gone.
The Raid didn't have a futuristic setting with visual FX, did it now?

What I'm saying is that it's a double standard. Whenever there seems to be a similarity in plot everyone says "This looks just like..." as if insinuating that just because the given film came first, it was somehow better.

Quote:
Also, I don't understand why they would want to cast someone as beautiful as Lena Heady just to make her look ugly. Arn't there ugly actresses who can act?
Well, maybe there's a storyline to the character? And there actually is one. What's ugly actresses have to do with it. The scar is actually a plot point. It's not like her character was born deformed or something.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 06-25-2012, 07:21 AM
I quite enjoyed the Stallone version.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Looks cool, i've been a fan of the comics since i was a kid in the late 80s and Karl Urban looks terrific as Dredd.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06-28-2012, 06:19 AM
It looks, OKAY. Not sure about Karl Urban though. It sounds like he's almost trying to ape Stallone's voice or something. I don't know. Like the visuals. I'll give it a shot. The trailer has me currently at indifferent.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/...e-origin-story
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 AM
first Dredd review up

Quote:
Even one of the co-creators of Dredd, John Wagner, dismissed the entire project, saying that “Judge Dredd wasn’t really Judge Dredd." But thankfully, the failure of that project has led to a movie which really is Judge Dredd.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/12/dredd-review

Well, seeing a first positive review is good news. But then again, the script wasn't too bad either for what the film is.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
first Dredd review up



http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/12/dredd-review

Well, seeing a first positive review is good news. But then again, the script wasn't too bad either for what the film is.
That's encouraging, especially considering the trailer for the movie absolutely sucked. Jim Law and ElderPredator seemed to have enjoyed it too.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
That's encouraging, especially considering the trailer for the movie absolutely sucked. Jim Law and ElderPredator seemed to have enjoyed it too.
The trailer did not suck. However, The Raid sucked. I'm certain Dredd - written before The Raid - will not disappoint
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 07-12-2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
The trailer did not suck. However, The Raid sucked. I'm certain Dredd - written before The Raid - will not disappoint
The Raid certainly did not suck.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
The Raid certainly did not suck.
Yeah, it kinda did.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-12-2012, 09:15 AM
This was from joblo.com's fan page on facebook:

"Unanimous opinion from the JoBlo.com Team: Dredd 3D kicked ass! You have no idea what's in store for you. Full review tomorrow!"


The early reviews have been a pleasant surprise, since I found the trailer to be rather mediocre.

And I don't care what anyone says, I loved the Stallone movie!
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Red Band clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8lMmRe6Z44

Fuck The Raid.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Yeah, it kinda did.
You obviously don't like good movies. That's a shame.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 AM
I loved the Raid, one of the things I really appreciated about The Raid? Little-to-no slow motion. One thing that stuck out like a sore thumb in the Dredd trailer? So much fucking slow motion.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
You obviously don't like good movies. That's a shame.
That must be it! You totally got it.

Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 PM
So based on the trailer, this Dredd is basically a remake of the first scene from Judge Dredd? (He's even going in with a "Rookie" Judge.)

Looks okay, I guess. Can't say I'm excited. I really liked the Stallone version and think it looked way grittier than this new one. While it looks pretty, it also looks somewhat artificial - kinda like Repomen or Lockout.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
I like this poster alot but couldn't help myself in thinking of this immediately:
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 PM
HOLY SHIT!!

saw this at the Midnight Madness last night at TIFF, what an intense ride. The biggest surprise (well maybe not, since Garland wrote it) is the script, i never expected it to be THAT good. It was just a relentless, fun, gory, hilarious ride. The way the action scenes are shot, with the slo-mo drug effect, have to be seen.

this sort of reminded me of "The Raid: Redemption" , but with a much better story. Every one of the main actors shines, with Urban getting the best lines, and most badass scenes. Thirlby is solid, Avon from The Wire also shows up and does his thing well, he has some great scenes with Thirlby, and Lana Heady is the main villain, and is fuckin mean.

I can't wait to see this again when its released wide!

9/10
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 09-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmushroom View Post
I like this poster alot but couldn't help myself in thinking of this immediately:

You mean this? (I think that impa site has some sort of glitch?)




Yeah, I did too.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 09-08-2012, 08:23 AM
This is fresh in RT with 28 positive and 0 negative....

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/


Damn.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 09-10-2012, 09:59 AM
33 positive 0 negative now...WHY? cause its that damn good
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 09-10-2012, 10:16 AM
I didn't doubt it, cos the script was good. Take that all you nonbelievers, glad it's gettin the love it deserves.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm a big fan of the comic. Been reading it since 1977. I know this world and this character inside and out. The Stallone movie while having some cool aesthetics was a mess. This is a lean, brutal action movie with absolutely no flab. Basically this movie is 100% true to the spirit of the character and I really hope it goes well enough financially to allow for a sequel. Because good as this is...and it's very good...a bigger budget sequel could potentially be off the scale. There are epic stories to be told in this world. Here's hoping they get the chance to tell them.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 09-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Holy Positive Reviews, Batman!
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 09-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Garland talks Dredd
http://youtu.be/GGkKfs6kheQ

talks about the Raid comparison too, which I've always found stupid
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriclite View Post
You mean this? (I think that impa site has some sort of glitch?)




Yeah, I did too.
Yep thats the one. Dredd poster looks like TDKR and Daredevil posters got together
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 PM
What is the song in the Dredd 3D trailer?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump