Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Large sized soda ban in NYC

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1880868.html

Let's celebrate by buying a pack of cigarettes and a large bottle of whiskey.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:47 PM
so you can't buy more than a 16 ounce soda in NYC anymore...

Something something, big government, something something, freedom of choice, something something, personal responsibility.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:53 AM
Sad fucking times.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:41 PM

fuckin bullshit.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Looks like I'm never moving to New York.... my typical friday night of going to a strip club with a massive coke-a-cola i can't do there! (I think, arent strip clubs banned there?) (also note the sarcasm, i don't want people actually thinking that is my Friday night, it is my wednesday, that is when they have the free buffet)
Old 09-14-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm just wondering what effect this will ultimately have. Are ppl going to drink less pop cause they can't get a Large or are they just going to buy 2 mediums?

Also what about places that offer free refills?
Old 09-14-2012, 06:04 PM
You're exempt as long as you run a 7-11 and not a small business. Big gulps are ok... yes I'm not kidding.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
I'm just wondering what effect this will ultimately have. Are ppl going to drink less pop cause they can't get a Large or are they just going to buy 2 mediums?

Also what about places that offer free refills?
Won't do anything except create more garbage and cost individuals more money.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Well l seen this on the news this morning and the media were showing you the size of the cup

it was also said that there are cups even bigger than the one that was banned

I prefer to have a medium drink the a large drink and have to agree that you dont need super sized drinks and to think about it the sugar level would be huge in the cup that was banned
Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Well l seen this on the news this morning and the media were showing you the size of the cup

it was also said that there are cups even bigger than the one that was banned

I prefer to have a medium drink the a large drink and have to agree that you dont need super sized drinks and to think about it the sugar level would be huge in the cup that was banned
You also "don't need"...
Beer
Liquor
Cigars/cigarettes
Sleeping pills
Candy
Cookies
Red meat
Cars
Air travel
Razor blades

Those things kill people and you don't need them. Why not ban them? Are you familiar at all with the alcohol prohibition era in the United States? Are you also familiar with the term slippery slope? Again this is something you need to look beyond 'the intentions' of. If you think this issue stops at soda then you really need an education and to learn more about things.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
You also "don't need"...
Beer
Liquor
Cigars/cigarettes
Sleeping pills
Candy
Cookies
Red meat
Cars
Air travel
Razor blades

Those things kill people and you don't need them. Why not ban them? Are you familiar at all with the alcohol prohibition era in the United States? Are you also familiar with the term slippery slope? Again this is something you need to look beyond 'the intentions' of. If you think this issue stops at soda then you really need an education and to learn more about things.
I agree. If the people of NY lets this slip then it will never stop.

Who would have thought that Demolition Man would have been the most accurate prophesying sci-fi film out there?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:55 PM
This still doesn't stop people from just going to to grocery store and buying all the liters of soda and other shit they want.

Seriously, there are liberals who are shaking their heads at this and are dead set against it. As liberal as New Yorkers are portrayed to be, there are still over half of the population who are against this.

This is partly an issue of poverty. Poor people buy cheap food that's bad for them. Ghetto neighborhoods lack grocery stores and stores that sell a variety of fresh fruit and vegetables, its why those neighborhoods are known as "food deserts". Those people are still going to be able to buy super-sized meals, KFC, Burger King or whatever, stop by the local bodega and take home a liter of whatever they fancy.

FAIL.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:11 AM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 06:25 PM..
Old 09-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
Yes you do.

I know the pseudo scientists love their bruh science, but red meat is good for you (depending on how its cooked). It contains essential amino acids, and other essential nutrients.

Veganism is unhealthy, you would lack important nutrients. Vegetarianism would result for either a lack of important nutrients, or too high cholesterol if over dependent on eggs for essential amino acids, or too high an intake (overdose) of particular nutrients if over dependent/consuming greens and other incomplete proteins to create a combined intake of complete essential amino acids. We need meat for optimal health. We're omnivourous.
Not to get off of the topic but I said red meat not including white meat or fish which isn't veganism.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
Sad fucking times.
It potentially gets even worse. One day soon it will cost too much for toilet paper. So, one won't be able to afford to wipe one's won backside.
That's ok, I already have a small hose attachment to wash my ass with. I come prepared. The Frenhcies have got it all figured out ages ago.

Last edited by God of War; 09-15-2012 at 01:34 AM..
Old 09-15-2012, 01:57 AM
In other news there was actually a town in NJ that banned texting while walking in public at the same time, they were enforcing it too.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:13 AM
Yo, New York,
I got your Big Gulp

... right here.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriclite View Post
This still doesn't stop people from just going to to grocery store and buying all the liters of soda and other shit they want.

Seriously, there are liberals who are shaking their heads at this and are dead set against it. As liberal as New Yorkers are portrayed to be, there are still over half of the population who are against this.

This is partly an issue of poverty. Poor people buy cheap food that's bad for them. Ghetto neighborhoods lack grocery stores and stores that sell a variety of fresh fruit and vegetables, its why those neighborhoods are known as "food deserts". Those people are still going to be able to buy super-sized meals, KFC, Burger King or whatever, stop by the local bodega and take home a liter of whatever they fancy.

FAIL.
Water is a helluva lot cheaper than Sodas all day, and a helluva lot healthier.

This isn't so much about actually banning soda, if they wanted to do that, they would do outright (or try.)

It's more about educating.

This is what you're drinking.

We definitely don't need that.

Obesity is absolutely a growing epidemic in this country. 300,000 people die every year due to obesity, but it leads to other things as well, like heart disease and diabetes.

We need to stop the obsession with sugary foods and drinks. It's in EVERYTHING we eat now, and it shouldnt be.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post

This isn't so much about actually banning soda, if they wanted to do that, they would do outright (or try.)

Obesity is absolutely a growing epidemic in this country. 300,000 people die every year due to obesity, but it leads to other things as well, like heart disease and diabetes.

We need to stop the obsession with sugary foods and drinks. It's in EVERYTHING we eat now, and it shouldnt be.
I don't think we need the government butting into our lives and telling us what we can and can't eat. I'm chubby but I make it a point to eat a minimal amount of junk food and snacks. It's called willpower, and if people want to get fat and die, then I think we should let 'em. At the very least, don't ruin things for everyone else by banning large sodas.

What it ends up doing is sending a message that says that the world will cater to the problems of others rather than letting them deal with it. I don't think that's a good message to send.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:

I definitely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
I don't think we need the government butting into our lives and telling us what we can and can't eat. I'm chubby but I make it a point to eat a minimal amount of junk food and snacks. It's called willpower, and if people want to get fat and die, then I think we should let 'em. At the very least, don't ruin things for everyone else by banning large sodas.

What it ends up doing is sending a message that says that the world will cater to the problems of others rather than letting them deal with it. I don't think that's a good message to send.
I strongly disagree--especially with the outlook that "[I]f people want to get fat and die, then I think we should let'em". It's like when some parents in my state got mad when public schools took vending machines out and started offering Sun Chips as opposed to Doritos and Cheetos. Having this naive outlook that people will eventually just help themselves with no intervention whatsoever from an outside force is just problematic. When you're raised by overweight parents that teach their children unhealthy eating habits, you can't expect the children to put two and two together and realize they shouldn't be eating the way they are. Also, when these people just continue eating and eventually seek medical help when they're inevitably diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure, and/or high cholesterol, and they can't afford health insurance because their premium is too high, then it falls on the rest of us.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:

If government was so concerned about people's health then they would be building free public gyms in every town and giving tax credits for gym memberships. Now that more people will be spending more on soda that means more taxes will be collected for each soda. Its all about money. Crap like this law has nothing to do with public health. Absolutely nothing. Especially since 7-11s are exempt.

Again if you're banning things because "we don't need that" then you've obviously never heard of a slippery slope. Again this goes way beyond just banning soda.

Diet sodas are exempt. There are many studies that have shown that they are actually even worse than regular sodas.

I personally drink about 4 or 5 small sodas a year. I think its unhealthy but I'm not going to tell some stranger what they can or can not put into their bodies. Some of the same people who like this law are probably the same people who drink beer/booze and smoke cigarettes/cigars. Also probably the same ones who want weed legalized (which now has studies that it causes testicular cancer and other forms of cancer).

Can nothing be said about the benefits of mental health? If it makes someone feel good that they can drink a large soda, smoke cigarettes/weed, drink booze then great. Who the hell are you to take away some complete stranger's right to feel good?

I don't take the monopoly of force of government to order people I don't know what they can or can not put into their bodies. But that's just me. Personal responsibility... yeah I know what a wild, insane crazy concept.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
I definitely agree.

I strongly disagree--especially with the outlook that "[I]f people want to get fat and die, then I think we should let'em". It's like when some parents in my state got mad when public schools took vending machines out and started offering Sun Chips as opposed to Doritos and Cheetos. Having this naive outlook that people will eventually just help themselves with no intervention whatsoever from an outside force is just problematic. When you're raised by overweight parents that teach their children unhealthy eating habits, you can't expect the children to put two and two together and realize they shouldn't be eating the way they are. Also, when these people just continue eating and eventually seek medical help when they're inevitably diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure, and/or high cholesterol, and they can't afford health insurance because their premium is too high, then it falls on the rest of us.
It has nothing to do with health. Nothing at all. This is about law. Personal responsibility? What's that? Again see what I wrote above.

Government is not our parents. And now you're getting into health care insurance which has been another government overreach for a long long time for many decades now but that's a whole other conversation and we're not getting into that.

If government was here to protect us from ourselves then we would all be locked in a padded cell, wearing straight jackets with our teeth pulled so we wouldn't bite off our tongues. Where does it end? What's the end game here? Grow up, be adults and accept responsibility for your actions. If obesity news upsets you so much then maybe perhaps you need to stop watching the news.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Quote:
It has nothing to do with health. Nothing at all. This is about law. Personal responsibility? What's that? Again see what I wrote above.

Government is not our parents. And now you're getting into health care insurance which has been another government overreach for a long long time for many decades now but that's a whole other conversation and we're not getting into that.

If government was here to protect us from ourselves then we would all be locked in a padded cell, wearing straight jackets with our teeth pulled so we wouldn't bite off our tongues. Where does it end? What's the end game here? Grow up, be adults and accept responsibility for your actions. If obesity news upsets you so much then maybe perhaps you need to stop watching the news.
But its not REALLY banned. Sodas aren't now ILLEGAL, after all. It's a statement, and I dont think its a permanent one.

It IS the governments job to ban things that are unsafe.

My personal plan is to make it a law to divulge every ingredient in a food, everything, even in secret ingredients. The secret ingredient in Coke used to becocaine after all. We trust our society to not sell us things that are dangerous, drinks with this much sugar ARE dangerous.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm sorry, but this whole "obesity epidemic" is bullshit.

It has been proven over and over that genetics play a major role in obesity: http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...-obesity_n.htm

I know people who are health nuts, and are still over weight. I personally eat a lot of junk and I'm a thin person. Back in grade school my lunch consisted of a coke and sour patch kids (imagine the sugar!). Doctors have always told me that I'm in great health. I certainly don't work for it. Yet I have a cousin who works out daily, eats healthy (refuses to drink soda), and she is obese. Why? Her mom is obese, and everyone on her mom's side of the family is obese. Now if she ever has a heart attack, or dies of any other natural cause that can be linked to obesity, then she'll be chalked up as another statistic. No one will take into account that heart complications are prevalent in our family.

The statistic that 'over 300,000 people die a year because of obesity' is misleading, because these people didn't die from obesity. They died from problems linked to, but not necessarily caused by, obesity. Such as stokes and heart attacks, which are common problems even for healthy people.

I'm not saying that there aren't people who are addicted to food, because there are. But that is a personal problem that the government has no business butting into, especially since it is a problem that harms no one except the person willing overeating. No one is going to die from second hand sugar consumption.

Last edited by Silverload; 09-15-2012 at 08:18 PM..
Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 PM
IMO, this is akin to banning matchbooks to keep people from smoking. A superficial 'victory' that doesn't address the real problem.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Quote:
But its not REALLY banned. Sodas aren't now ILLEGAL, after all. It's a statement, and I dont think its a permanent one.

It IS the governments job to ban things that are unsafe.

My personal plan is to make it a law to divulge every ingredient in a food, everything, even in secret ingredients. The secret ingredient in Coke used to becocaine after all. We trust our society to not sell us things that are dangerous, drinks with this much sugar ARE dangerous.
Its the government's job to ban things that are unsafe? I just want to be clear on the point you're making. You're telling me, "its the government's job to ban things that are not safe."? That's their only function, I just want to be absolutely clear on your logic. Just say yes or no on this or if there's anything else you think you should add to your phrase feel free to do so. Also specifically define what "safe" is please.

Last edited by creekin111; 09-15-2012 at 06:09 PM..
Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Banning extralarge cups of soda. What's next banning tv shows and video games that aren't appropiate for US citizens?(currently happening in Venezuela and China)
Old 09-15-2012, 05:57 PM
If the government is supposed to ban things that are unsafe, then there should be a federal law forcing everyone to switch to plastic cutlery. Oh, and of course we can't have guns. Everyone must eat according to government health regulations. We can't have more than one person in a car and we can't have radios because they're distracting and that's unsafe. In fact, maybe we should abolish driving altogether. No more alcohol or cigarettes. No more sports, because they can lead to concussions, broken spines, and other types of possibly permanent injuries.

Am I missing anything?
Old 09-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
If the government is supposed to ban things that are unsafe, then there should be a federal law forcing everyone to switch to plastic cutlery. Oh, and of course we can't have guns. Everyone must eat according to government health regulations. We can't have more than one person in a car and we can't have radios because they're distracting and that's unsafe. In fact, maybe we should abolish driving altogether. No more alcohol or cigarettes. No more sports, because they can lead to concussions, broken spines, and other types of possibly permanent injuries.

Am I missing anything?
Exactly. Wait he's going to amend his "It IS the governments job to ban things that are unsafe" comment.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:43 PM
My problem isn't necessarily with them banning large sodas. It has more to do with the extreme nutritional ignorance of banning large sodas.

Just sad how little people understand about nutrition, especially the government should be more responsible and not pass terrible laws like this.

Also, Bloomberg is overweight and has no room to talk to anyone about fitness. I might respect this more if it was someone like Paul Ryan who actually spends effort on health and fitness instead of some fat rich guy in a suit.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
My problem isn't necessarily with them banning large sodas. It has more to do with the extreme nutritional ignorance of banning large sodas.

Just sad how little people understand about nutrition, especially the government should be more responsible and not pass terrible laws like this.

Also, Bloomberg is overweight and has no room to talk to anyone about fitness. I might respect this more if it was someone like Paul Ryan who actually spends effort on health and fitness instead of some fat rich guy in a suit.
See the pic in my first post? Yes he actually promotes a hot dog eating contest. lol
Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Its the government's job to ban things that are unsafe? I just want to be clear on the point you're making. You're telling me, "its the government's job to ban things that are not safe."? That's their only function, I just want to be absolutely clear on your logic. Just say yes or no on this or if there's anything else you think you should add to your phrase feel free to do so. Also specifically define what "safe" is please.
Certainly things that are harmful like cocaine are illegal, yes? Sugar is INCREDIBLY addictive. Sugar/soda isnt banned after all, or illegal, its sort of just an inconvenience, like taxing cigarettes higher.

I fully expect this ban to be lifted in iike a year, after everyone's sort of proven their point.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Certainly things that are harmful like cocaine are illegal, yes? Sugar is INCREDIBLY addictive. Sugar/soda isnt banned after all, or illegal, its sort of just an inconvenience, like taxing cigarettes higher.

I fully expect this ban to be lifted in iike a year, after everyone's sort of proven their point.
You didn't answer my question. Its the government's job to ban things that are unsafe, yes or no? Pretend the government is your employer and you're telling them what their basic functions for a job is. What are you telling government their job is?

What do you think should be the standard by which government should ban things?

Government should ban things that are...

A. Harmful
B. Addicting
C...

etc. etc. etc.

Be specific and tell me why things like what I said above should or shouldn't fall into your standards.

Quote:
Beer
Liquor
Cigars/cigarettes
Sleeping pills
Candy
Cookies
Red meat
Cars
Air travel
Razor blades
Why should these be banned or not be banned? Prove to me why those aren't harmful or addicting. And I'm being totally serious about each of the above.

Last edited by creekin111; 09-16-2012 at 08:16 PM..
Old 09-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Quote:
You also "don't need"...
Beer
Liquor
Cigars/cigarettes
Sleeping pills
Candy
Cookies
Red meat
Cars
Air travel
Razor blades

Okay all l was refering to was soft drinks being in super sized cups

I was not looking at any other area
iI you want to go into the edcation of soft drinks all l can say is there has been studies by docors and health professions who say that if you buy a very large drink it is like drinking a load of sugar

Also in your above post l dont want to get into because this is nothing to do with the thread you have started which is soft drink cups being banned Creekin

Last edited by Bondgirl; 09-16-2012 at 09:24 PM..
Old 09-16-2012, 09:47 PM
If the government decides to ban the amount of soda a customer takes in per serving to limit his/her sugars and carbs at a theater, then why are we still seeing relentless commercials before shows, product placements in lobbies, and huge ads in Times Square?

How about the staff? Are they putting limits on how many sodas people buy? Are they suddenly permitted to tell a customer "no"?

Oh, right...that would hurt profits, so nobody (especially not politicians) will do a thing about the barrage of ads or the number of sodas bought.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Okay all l was refering to was soft drinks being in super sized cups

I was not looking at any other area
iI you want to go into the edcation of soft drinks all l can say is there has been studies by docors and health professions who say that if you buy a very large drink it is like drinking a load of sugar

Also in your above post l dont want to get into because this is nothing to do with the thread you have started which is soft drink cups being banned Creekin
It has everything to do with this thread. Again this is about law and this goes beyond soda. The subject is about the law here not health. If this thread was about studies about the harmful effects of soda then fine but its not again this is about law.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Well maybe l need to take a qiick trip to America and sus out all these laws you have on diffrent things

Last edited by Bondgirl; 09-16-2012 at 09:59 PM..
Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Are you seriously comparing sugar to cocaine? Give me a break.

Yeah, too much sugar is bad for you. It can give you diabetes, oh wait, no it can't!.

Too much protein leads to kidney disease. Many athletes consume protein like water.

Too much fiber can cause malabsorption, and some studies claim it could possibly lead to crohn's disease.

Too much sun can give you cancer. How many people die a year from cancer?

Too much water can cause Hyponatremia.

Eating fish daily can give you mercury poisoning. In fact it is recommend to eat no more than 6 ounces of fish a week.

Too much red meat has been linked to bowel cancer, heart failure, stroke, diabetes, etc... (oddly enough, red meat is linked to many of the same problems sugar is linked to)

Too much chicken can cause kidney problems and is linked to osteoporosis.

By the looks of it, the government is going to have to regulate nearly EVERYTHING we eat. If the government doesn't step in I might possibly die from something within the next 50 years.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:59 PM
The ban on large sodas will hopefully get lifted, not because it made it's point, but because it's stupid.

I can usually understand both sides of an argument, but I don't get people that are for this sort of thing. Maybe I have more faith in humanity, and that people can be educated, and that will reduce obesity. You're delusional though if you think you can pass enough legislation that eventually there will be no more over weight people.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 PM
When I first heard of it, I liked it. After some thought, I decided that I am not in favor of government trying to make decisions for the masses of stupid people who can't practice impulse control.

ON a side note, if you do not support this law, you arre starting to think like a conservative and should be on the side of the republicans regarding obama care and many other government programs. too many government programs trying to control the lives of the people