Old 03-21-2012, 11:04 AM
The Raid (Redemption)

Directed by Gareth Evans

Written by Gareth Evans

Genre: Action/Crime/Thriller

Plot Outline: A SWAT team becomes trapped in a tenement run by a ruthless mobster and his army of killers and thugs.

Starring:Iko Uwais, Ananda George and Ray Sahetapy

Rated R for strong brutal bloody violence throughout, and language

Runtime: 101 minutes

This is popping in the city of NY this Friday, and I've been anticipating this since the first trailer. So, consider my train and movie ticket bought.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 AM
This movie looks all kinds of epic.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Can not wait. My most anticipated movie of the year so far.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 PM
I'll be seeing it Friday or Saturday. I've heard that the action is brutal and spectacular. I just hope there's a good story and/or characters to go along with it.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:08 AM
Any idea when this is being released in the UK?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Ebert panned the film. He give it 1 star out of 4. He calls it a violent video game.

"I am dismayed. I have no prejudice against violence when I find it in a well-made film. But this film is almost brutally cynical in its approach."
Old 03-22-2012, 01:56 PM
This is the best action movie I've seen in a long time. I can't wait to watch it again. Pretty much the only downside for me was that some of the fighting got a bit too repetitive, especially when taking place in the same location. It's not a big deal though considering the action is so well done. Try to see this with a large crowd.

9/10
Old 03-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Real men are gonna watch this this weekend.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
Ebert panned the film. He give it 1 star out of 4. He calls it a violent video game.

"I am dismayed. I have no prejudice against violence when I find it in a well-made film. But this film is almost brutally cynical in its approach."
So what?...that' what its aiming.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Gah, I wish I lived in an area where this was showing this weekend.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:34 PM
There are times where a movie can be an experience. The action and/or drama are hot, the audience is eating everything up, and the sense of joy in the theater is palpable. It’s a beautiful thing, and if Gareth Evan’s film, The Raid: Redemption, is able to open in more theaters than it has, fans of the action genre can all ban together at their local cinema and share those feelings together. This is truly an action film for the ages, a film that knows where the boundaries of the action genre go, but likes to go even further to surprise and gratify the audience.

For plot, its “cops vs. criminals” formula at it’s basic. A group of elite SWAT members are meeting up with their lieutenant to take down a notorious crime boss, who owns a shanty apartment that is the forefront of drug operations. Director Evans lets the viewer know everything right in these opening moments, with a bit of twist and turns as the brisk 101 minutes goes by in the flash. Then, once the players are established, the tension cuts like a knife until the fireworks are set off and it is a frenzy of shootouts and incredible fight choreography. It is brutal, heinous, but edited and shot crisply. There is a small bit of frenzied shaky camera, but it is used to great dramatic effect to the tense scenes that it is shot for. The fight scenes, on the other hand, are handled masterfully. Evans never allows the viewer to feel bored as these fight scenes pop up, utilizing various ways to keep the viewer engaged and enthralled.

This is certainly helped by the actors who are well known in the fighting style used in the film, known as Silat. Iko Uwais, whom Evans has introduced to the world in his previous film Merantau and also the fight choreographer of The Raid, is all presence as the SWAT member that the film mostly focuses on. He’s the clean cut protagonist that, when push comes to shove, will take anybody out to save his fellow SWAT members. If this movie is any indicator, he could rise to the ranks of Tony Jaa or Jackie Chan in due time. The rest of the cast certainly leaves their effect as well, with Yayan Ruhian as the ruthless right hand villain Mad Dog, Joe Talsim as the leading SWAT sergeant who’s simply concerned on the safety of his men, and Ray Sahetapy, who simply oozes smarminess as the head boss of the apartment.

But, the most surprising addition to this film is the newly added soundtrack by Linkin Park front man Mike Shinoda and Joseph Trapanese. It’s soundtrack complements it’s preceding scenes extraordinarily well, adding ambience and mood to the lighter or more intense scenes in the film. One track near the end was a burst of energy to an already furious and bloody fight scene, and ratchets up the high tension to an exceeding degree. But as great as the music is handled, it’s Gareth Evan’s world, and viewers are just experiencing it. Oh, and what an experience it is! The film is as if Evans has seen every high-octane action film, and then went through the process of what it will take to make the audience engaged and enamored with his film. Well, to say it worked would be an understatement, because it works like gangbusters!

The Raid: Redemption is the action film that will leave viewers on an adrenaline high when the credits roll. It’s a film where hyperbole will compliment your feelings when someone asks how what it was, much like what this review is doing right now. It’s just that good an action flick in this day and age, and certainly an incredible experience if the viewer is at a sold out screening.

9/10
Old 04-03-2012, 01:17 AM
I really disliked it. I found the film ugly, repetitive, monotonous, and without personality or feeling. There is barely a script and the film instead chooses to show essentially the same scene of people punching and fighting in a hallway over and over again. None of the characters are likable or worth caring about, and the film becomes a nonstop barrage of violence and bone-cracking nonsense.

I don't get the praise for this at all.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 08-01-2012 at 08:50 PM..
Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
I really disliked it. I found the film ugly, repetitive, monotonous, and without personality or feeling. There is barely a script and the film instead chooses to show essentially the same scene of people punching and fighting in a hallway over and over again. None of the characters are likable or worth caring about, and the film becomes a nonstop barrage of violence and bone-cracking nonsense.

I don't get the praise for this at all.

3/10
I felt the same way. I went into this flick expecting to be amazed and seeing a new step in the Action genre created. I wasn't all wrong, the fighting in the film is really superb, very well choreographed and executed. That's about the only positive thing I can think so say though. I had absolutely no connection to the characters, fuck the characters in ACt of Valor were more likable. The fact that it all takes place in a very grey setting that rarely changes (ok they go from corridor to corridor and room to room, but really...) made all of the fight scenes feel repetitive. I would rather watch the expendables and see Syl shoot things in the face.

5/10 - if nothing more it's worth watching just the fight scenes to see some of the choreography
Old 04-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Movie picked up when the hand-to-hand fight scenes started. The action was amazing, albeit extremely repetitive. Some fight scenes dragged a bit too long. It did feel like a violent video game, as Ebert said.

The characters were pretty dull. No one was truly developed. There was potential for a few relationships to be interesting. There were also some motives that were still unclear (at least to me) at the end of the movie that I would've liked to see elaborated upon and explored. The whole thing felt a bit... choppy. Even at the end, they were mentioning names and I'm not sure if I was supposed to recognize them or not.

Fun movie for the action. Well-paced. Hard to understand how it could blow people away, though.

7/10
Old 04-15-2012, 05:25 AM
A swat team descends upon a huge apartment complex to rid an Indonesian neighborhood of a major drug dealer and his henchman.
Tons of action and relentless fight scenes.One of the best action films i have ever watched!!!
Scale of 1-10 a 9
Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 AM
This movie finally made its way to Northwest Indiana..Crossing my fingers that its awesome.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard_of_Meat View Post
This movie finally made its way to Northwest Indiana..Crossing my fingers that its awesome.
Saw it yesterday....It IS awesome! The whole theater was amped off of the fight scenes!

I know there is a U.S. remake of "The Raid" in the works, but really if they don't get someone like Jason Statham or anybody with real martial arts history/training it is going to suck!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:20 AM

Nothing groundbreaking or revolutionary here. Just a solid, well made, intense, frequently viscerally charged actioner, with a cool, charismatic hero, dastardly villians, lots expertly choreographed fight scenes and a couple of pretty cool twists that actually surprised me and gave a few characters some much needed and welcome back story to them. Yes, up until those twists are revealed, character development is virtually non-existant, but I found the hero of the movie to be likeable enough so that it wasn't too bad of a problem. And like I said, the couple of twists we get give a few characters some development that allows the characters to grow as the movie develops.

If you are tired of PG-13 rated action flicks, and want a balls to wall, intense and nicely brutal action, this movie definitely fits the bill. I didn't find the movie to be repetative at all. I actually thought they used the location of the building quite well. The cinematography is very good for the most part, although near the beginning of the movie, they overdo the shaky cam. It's not something I usually complain about, but this time it started to make me feel a little dizzy. All in all, this is a simple story but it's well told. R rated action flicks are so rare these days, so when we get them, like with this movie, it feels like a breath of fresh air.

7/10

Last edited by ilovemovies; 04-26-2012 at 03:07 PM..
Old 04-23-2012, 07:38 AM
If you're an action fan looking for a film to blow all other recent action titles clean out of the water, The Raid is it! It's such a fantastic film that really gets the heart pumping and the adrenaline flowing - I'd give it a 10/10 - an incredible experience at the cinema!

This is from the official forum - thought I'd share it here

“THE MOST EXCITING ACTION MOVIE OF THE YEAR.” (FIVE STARS) – EMPIRE.

Following their hugely impressive collaboration on the universally acclaimed martial arts extravaganza “Merantau Warrior”, Welsh-born writer-director Gareth Evans and Indonesian martial arts sensation Iko Uwais have reunited and increased the energy even more (if you can believe it) for “the most incredible action and fighting movie in decades” (IGN), the award winning action-thriller The Raid.

Already being hailed by Aint It Cool News as “one of the greatest action movies ever made”, as “spectacular… incredible… exhilarating… amazing” by Variety and as “a non-stop action bonanza” by Twitch Film, The Raid was the winner of the Midnight Madness People’s Choice Award at the prestigious Toronto International Film Festival in 2011 and the winner of both the coveted Audience Award for Best Film and the Dublin Film Critics Award for Best Film at the Dublin International Film Festival in February this year, marking the first time in history both awards have gone to the same film.

Deep in the heart of one of Jakarta’s most deprived slums stands an impenetrable high-rise apartment block. To most it is 30 floors of Hell to be avoided at all cost but for many of the city’s most dangerous killers and gangsters, including the area’s most notorious crime lord, it is a fortress-like safe house protecting them from the law. Even for the bravest and most experienced police officers it is considered a no-go area.

In a desperate bid to flush these violent criminals and their leader from their haven once and for all, an elite SWAT team is tasked with infiltrating the building and raiding the apartments floor by floor, taking out anyone who stands in their way. Cloaked under the cover of pre-dawn darkness, the SWAT members make their move and enter the block not realizing that this is the easier part of the mission. Once inside, it soon becomes terrifyingly apparent that the real problem at hand is surviving long enough to be able to get out again.

Featuring an electrifying kick-ass score by Linkin Park vocalist, keyboardist and rhythm guitarist Mike Shinoda, The Raid is a “hard-driving, butt-kicking, pulse-pounding, bone-crunching, skull-smashing, blood-curdling” (The Hollywood Reporter) action-thriller that reaffirms Gareth Evans’ reputation as a director to watch and further confirms Iko Uwais’ status as both an outstanding fight choreographer and as one of world’s most impressive new action movie stars.

The Raid (cert. tbc) is released by Momentum Pictures and will open at selected UK cinemas: 18.05.2012

VISIT DIGITAL SPY FOR AN EXCLUSIVE FIRST LOOK AT THE UK TRAILER

CHECK OUT THE DIGITAL SPY REVIEW
Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Meh

A couple of good fight scenes involving the little bad guy but that's it. Not nearly deserving of the praise some people are throwing at it.

6/10
Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Seeing it tonight!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Not the kind of entertainment I'm used to, but there are times when action pushes story aside to take the wheel, and the journey can be pretty sweet if you let it. That's how I felt about The Raid. Just a modicum of emotional investment was needed to get completely invested in the brilliant action. All you had to do is pick a side to root for and that wasn't hard.

The plot couldn't be simpler but just as comedy uses jokes and horror uses fright, this one uses fists. You either appreciate that, or you don't. Mr. Ebert and some of you obviously don't.

The intensity and adrenaline rush, helped along nicely by the virtually non-stop soundtrack, is something to experience. Someone above gave the best advice: watch it with a big crowd. This is Midnight Madness magic. It'll be hard to step into your living room or kitchen after without looking at them as war zones.

I'm amped for a sequel that I hear is in the works.

8/10
Old 04-27-2012, 06:15 AM
Just came across this fan made picture and thought I'd share

Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM
There's a great new fascinating Behind The Scenes video of The Raid here - well worth taking a look at...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8DHi...layer_embedded
Old 05-22-2012, 03:39 PM
I thought it was dull. Too little plot and too much fighting. A 2 minute trailer for it is fun but after 100 minutes of it I just wanted it to end.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Fuck ..this film was amazing , everything I want in a martial arts film. Intense bloody fights with an amazing soundtrack , fuck the plot even though it has a few twists.....for a 1 million dollar budget this film puts every American action film of the last 100 years to shame.

10/10

Last edited by CuatroDiablos; 05-30-2012 at 09:50 AM..
Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 AM
It is very rare a film lives up to the hype that is thrust upon it. It is very rare when a film delivers on its promise. The Raid is one such film.

With the internet, message boards like this one, constant 24 hr access to news and events and marketing, most films are talked about, leaked out, hyped up, etc only to disappoint upon arrival. The list of movies that didn't meet the expectations is endless. In fact, I would say 90% of movies disappoint today. And the hype machine is a big reason for this.

The Raid had about as much hype as a foreign film can get. So going in I had my doubts. Well I am here to say that this film not only met the hype, it blew it away. This movie grabs you by the throat from the get go and only lets you up for air a couple of times during its run time.

What an absolute visceral experience this film is. In you face, non stop, extremely tense, and thrilling from start to finish. I've read and heard a few people comment on lack of character development. I liked the fact we really didn't know these cops outside of the lead guy. It made me view them as a team or a unit instead of a bunch of individuals. And anyone who has ever been in the military or involved in organized athletics can relate. I can only imagine the police force pushes this mentality as well. So to me, it adds to the film not detracts from it.

Either way, whatever you read or think going in, do not worry. This is one film you can go into with huge expectations and will not be let down. A very rare find indeed.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Saw this a couple of weeks ago. Will need to watch it again on Blu-ray since the copy I streamed had subtitles that I'm pretty sure were created using Free Translator, but damn this was good. The action might get a bit repetitive, but I found that it was always creative, always hit hard, and the stakes were always high. The scene where the two guys are hiding behind the wall and buddy is stabbing the wall with the machete was incredibly intense.

I'd probably give it an 8/10.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Fucking awesome, I agree with Bourne, this is one of the most intense experiences I've had in a movie theater in a long time. My nerves were shot hours after I left the theater. This movie puts American action films to shame.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 PM
9/10. One of the most intense, technically proficient actioners I've ever watched. I was never once bored or had to stop and think about character development or an emotional attachment. Complete visceral assault on the senses.

I personally loved the small-scale, isolated environment. The final 3-way fight is nothing short of exhausting and spectacular.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:14 AM
Has anyone else here pre-ordered The Raid yet? It's out next month and I cannot wait for it! If you didn't catch it in cinemas - you missed out big time. This is easily one of the greatest action movies of ALL time and that's no exaggeration.

There's a very cool site for The Raid that I think you guys will enjoy (I do!) - http://www.totalfanhub.com/the-raid/ - well worth checking

Last edited by iluvdvds; 09-19-2012 at 04:21 AM..
Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 AM
I've had the Raid on BluRay for a couple of weeks now..