Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 05:01 AM
Not sure what to make of this.I guess it will be fun to watch Jamie kick Leo's ass
Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 AM
The trailer looks alright. I'm assuming they're still shooting some of the movie, and thats why they weren't able to load up the trailer with awesome character quotables.
But who knows. Maybe Django Unchained will just be a really decent but not great Tarantino movie.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
thats why they weren't able to load up the trailer with awesome character quotables.
I think that has more to do with it being a G-rated trailer. Trust me, there are a ton of awesome character quotables.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I think that has more to do with it being a G-rated trailer. Trust me, there are a ton of awesome character quotables.
Indeed there are. Hopefully we get a red band by October or so.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Love the James Brown. But going in you know the soundtrack is going to be awesome given Tarantino's fetish with 70's soul and R&B.

Aside from that, a little taken back by Foxx. Not sure if he is going to pull this off. He was awesome in Ray, Collateral, and Miami Vice. But the rest of his work, meh.

I hope he nails it because this looks like it has the potential to be great.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Jonah Hill must have the best agent in HOllywood. He's now been cast in a Tarantino film AND a Scorsese film.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Too bad he won't be playing Scotty Harmony. Any thoughts on who it might be?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Jonah Hill must have the best agent in HOllywood. He's now been cast in a Tarantino film AND a Scorsese film.
He is getting quite the resume.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Don't think this has been posted yet, but here's an international trailer with some new footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANHnYf9Yqqg
Old 06-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Leo is definitely what has me most excited for this movie. Everytime I have seen him in the trailer his character cracks me up with his whole demeanor and attitude and I am excited to see the more villianous side of him as well, because we haven't really seen that in the trailers yet.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:15 PM
I don't know. It looks like Leo hams it up a little too much from the trailer. I mean, so did Chrstoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds, but he was still able to be an intimidating presence on screen in that movie, until the ending at least.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I don't know. It looks like Leo hams it up a little too much from the trailer. I mean, so did Chrstoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds, but he was still able to be an intimidating presence on screen in that movie, until the ending at least.
It's not the first time Leo's been caught overacting.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Doesn't really look like overacting to me. The character is bold, sure, but I don't think he's overdoing it. Are you referring to the part where he cheers? It'll make more sense in context. Other than that, he seems to be nailing the tone from the script; charming, sly, and slightly on edge. A nice change of pace for him, since his characters are usually consumed by depression and anxiety. It's nice to see him having a bit of fun. I also think he will be pretty intimidating, once we see more of the character and hear him dropping lines that may make him lose a fraction of his fan base.

Last edited by Bourne101; 06-17-2012 at 04:02 PM..
Old 06-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Hopefully he can keep his southern accent consistent so we can avoid another Gangs of New York issue.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:40 AM
I like Leonardo Dicaprio is a great actor.
But....
He really has seem to play the same character since catch me if you can. I mean he plays it very well. But it makes it harder for him to disappear into a role. When I watch him in a movie, I see Leo first, than the character.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:20 AM
The international trailer was more definitive..ok im in
Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
Hopefully he can keep his southern accent consistent so we can avoid another Gangs of New York issue.
I don't think it'll be an issue. It's been quite while since I've seen Body of LIes but he had a bit of a Southern draw in that and it worked quite well. I think he'll knock it out of the park in this one.

And I just watched the International trailer and man, this looks like a lot of fun.

Last edited by echo_bravo; 06-18-2012 at 05:25 PM..
Old 06-19-2012, 03:09 PM
nm

Last edited by echo_bravo; 06-19-2012 at 08:11 PM..
Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 AM

Last edited by Bourne101; 06-26-2012 at 05:23 PM..
Old 06-25-2012, 12:33 PM
New Image - Leo DiCaprio as the evil Calvin Candie in Django Unchained - http://bit.ly/LvYDFe
Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 PM
New trailer/spot with a taste of what to expect from Samuel L. Jackson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vjys4fjvdM
Old 07-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Quote:
New trailer/spot with a taste of what to expect from Samuel L. Jackson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vjys4fjvdM
Very nice. The more footage I see the more my anticipation increases. DiCaprio looks all kinds of insane
Old 07-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Liked the new spot, Leo seems batshit crazy which is awesome.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post
Love the James Brown. But going in you know the soundtrack is going to be awesome given Tarantino's fetish with 70's soul and R&B.

Aside from that, a little taken back by Foxx. Not sure if he is going to pull this off. He was awesome in Ray, Collateral, and Miami Vice. But the rest of his work, meh.

I hope he nails it because this looks like it has the potential to be great.
I think Foxx is going to get nominated again. Can't wait for this movie!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I think Foxx is going to get nominated again.
Eh. I don't know about that. The movie looks great. I'm greatly anticipating it. But it doesn't seem like the kind of movie that gets oscar nominations. Especially with SO much competition coming out this fall! The competition hasn't been this fierce since 1999!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Eh. I don't know about that. The movie looks great. I'm greatly anticipating it. But it doesn't seem like the kind of movie that gets oscar nominations. Especially with SO much competition coming out this fall! The competition hasn't been this fierce since 1999!
That's very true (though I will say that the best pic crops from the films of 2010 and 2003 were pretty good too). I can't recall another year where there were as many high-profile contenders.

Have to say I really liked the trailer for this. I knew Leo and Christoph would deliver, but I had doubts about Jamie. Judging from the trailer though, I think he'll do fine.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:40 PM
http://youtu.be/4fMQ2DrTu0o
Old 07-17-2012, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
I want to see that eight minute clip damnit!
Anybody? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:34 AM
For those who read the script and were disappointed with the ending, here is some news that may please you (minor spoilers)...

http://collider.com/jamie-foxx-djang...erview/181721/
Quote:
Do you see a musical quality to the way that Quentin Tarantino writes dialogue, and to the way that you speak it?

FOXX: Quentin Tarantino is a hip-hop artist. I told him, “You’re hip-hop!” You keep seeing surprises, and a clip here and there, because Quentin is hip-hop. A hip-hop artist will drop a single, leak something over here, and drop something over there ‘cause he knows it’s hot. He’s on the spot with the way he does things. The way his dialogue is, it is a musical. On the spur of the moment, he rewrote the end of the film. He blew up the house and said, “My ending doesn’t work.” We were like, “What do you wanna do?” He said, “Give me a second,” and he was walking on the rubble, and then said, “Okay, I’ve got it!” He went to his trailer, and then came back with the end of the movie. It was dope! Nobody does that. When a writer writes a movie, he goes and gets a cabin and is there for nine months, and then comes down with the tablets. This dude just went in his trailer [and did it]. That’s the difference. He has a musical quality where he’s riffing, but he’s riffing as a genius would, like Mozart.

How much better was the second ending than the first one?

FOXX: I don’t want to cuss, but damn, it was crazy! I was like, “There’s no way!” There are talented people and god-gifted people, and he’s a god-gifted person. You could tell that it was troubling him. When he came back [out of his trailer], he was like, “I’ve got this motherfucker now!” It was just amazing! You’ll see it in the movie. I don’t want to give it away. But, the end is classic. It ends up with myself and Samuel L. Jackson, at the very end of the movie. I even had mentioned to Quentin that Samuel Jackson was housing the part. People wouldn’t go to sleep at night because they knew they had to act against Samuel Jackson, the next morning. He was kicking everybody’s ass, in the scene. So, he made the ending appropriate.
I have to say, while I thought the original ending was fine, it did lack that extra something that Tarantino always has with his endings. I'm glad he did a little reworking to make it more memorable.

Last edited by Bourne101; 07-18-2012 at 09:38 AM..
Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Haha, the way Jamie describes QT is awesome. Based off that photo of them at the party and the way they interacted at Comic Con, they seem to have developed quite a friendship.

I agree with Bourne. The ending in the script isn't bad by any means, but it doesn't have the same level of energy as everything leading up to it.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Quote:
For those who read the script and were disappointed with the ending, here is some news that may please you (minor spoilers)...

http://collider.com/jamie-foxx-djang...erview/181721/

I have to say, while I thought the original ending was fine, it did lack that extra something that Tarantino always has with his endings. I'm glad he did a little reworking to make it more memorable.
Yeah, the ending did leave something to be desired but I still hope they can at some point work in
Spoiler:
the scene with the Australian idiots from the mining company (or something like it)
which I thought was great
Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 PM
This is old news but .. Anthony "Without a Trace" LaPaghlia dropped out saying the set was a disaster. This is like, what, the third actor to drop out? It's strange to me because it's the first time I hear something like this about a QT set.

Like that the ending has been modified/changed. Have to say that the more I watch the trailer, the more the James Brown song is pissing me off. Can't put my finger on it, could be an overload of the QT style but I find it lazy by his standards...if he went with some less popular funk I think I could of dug that more.

Leo and Sam Jackson will be the highlights from this movie. And for those who've read the script:

Spoiler:
I hope that the character of Candie develops a little bit better, into something a bit more believable than what we got on script. The fact that he just trusted Django and the doctor like that made him seem like a moron, which takes away credibility

This has to be in post by now right? It's coming out in three months!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
This is old news but .. Anthony "Without a Trace" LaPaghlia dropped out saying the set was a disaster. This is like, what, the third actor to drop out? It's strange to me because it's the first time I hear something like this about a QT set.
Kurt Russell is the only other one that I think dropped out for reasons other than scheduling conflicts. Hill, Levitt, Cohen, and Costner all had scheduling issues (and Hill still ended up being in it anyway). As for LaPaghlia, I heard that his schedule kept getting switched around and he had another project he was starting on, so he had to drop out. All I've been hearing from Foxx, Goggins, and Hill is how great the experience was.

This is nothing new for Tarantino films. Jackie Brown, Kill Bill (especially) and Inglourious Basterds all had similar issues that I have heard of.

Quote:
This has to be in post by now right? It's coming out in three months!
Pretty sure it wrapped in early August.

Last edited by Bourne101; 09-19-2012 at 08:30 PM..
Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Kurt Russell is the only other one that I think dropped out for reasons other than scheduling conflicts. Hill, Levitt, Cohen, and Costner all had scheduling issues (and Hill still ended up being in it anyway). As for LaPaghlia, I heard that his schedule kept getting switched around and he had another project he was starting on, so he had to drop out. All I've been hearing from Foxx, Goggins, and Hill is how great the experience was.

This is nothing new for Tarantino films. Jackie Brown, Kill Bill (especially) and Inglourious Basterds all had similar issues that I have heard of.
I just never read that an actor said the set was a disaster. LaPaghlia had Underground to do and from what I understand he felt indebted to the director for that film (fellow Aussie, nowhere near as big as QT, etc.) so I get why he left but still...doesn't sound too good to me.

Quote:
Pretty sure it wrapped in early August.
Sweet!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Quote:
I just never read that an actor said the set was a disaster. LaPaghlia had Underground to do and from what I understand he felt indebted to the director for that film (fellow Aussie, nowhere near as big as QT, etc.) so I get why he left but still...doesn't sound too good to me.
If I recall the article correctly, he was calling it a disaster (I'm not sure he actually used that word) in the sense that it was over-budget and over-schedule. He said he was just sitting around while other stuff was being shot, waiting to shoot his scenes. Judging by his filmography, I don't think LaPaghlia has ever encountered a production of this size. A 170 page Tarantino western probably isn't going to be the smoothest of shoots. He should have known that going in.

This has happened with most of Tarantino's films. They're so large in scope that you end up with inevitable scheduling and budgeting issues. I remember hearing about Kill Bill's production and how out of control it was. I remember it being in production for an incredibly long time.

Ultimately, in the end, you know Tarantino got the footage that he wanted, which is really all that matters for those wanting to watch the film.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 PM
I did read the script and although visually striking I did see several problems with the script. here are just a couple

1. the exchange between him and his wife at the end of the film is lame.

2. not since Mark twain have I ever read something with more uses of the word nigger but tarantino is no twain. he really seems to be in love with the word. there are some instances where he says things like the place where the nigger slaves were kept but couldn't he just say the place where the slaves were kept? I don't see what is added by using the word nigger so much.

***Minor Spoiler*** (don't read if you haven't read the script)

3. Broomhilda's behavior when she is sold seems to be out of character for an African American woman during slavery times. I would think that her love for Django was stronger and she would of fought her new husband instead of giving in to him so easily. her behavior may fit in well with a modern day woman but that doesn't sound like the behavior of a woman during slavery times. I think Tarantino is confused. out of Broomhilda and her new husband she definitely comes across as the stronger of the two. Tarantino fails to show her strength in this scene. and isn't she raped in front of Django at the beginning? you'd figure this would make her grow some hate for white men but according to Tarantino it has no effect on her

Last edited by silentasylum; 09-24-2012 at 05:34 PM..
Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Quote:
This has happened with most of Tarantino's films. They're so large in scope that you end up with inevitable scheduling and budgeting issues. I remember hearing about Kill Bill's production and how out of control it was. I remember it being in production for an incredibly long time.
The problem here is that the final product didn't justify the production time or running length of the film(s). He's been doing B-movies for the past decade and if he were a better filmmaker, he'd be more prolific and/or efficient like Takashi Miike. I think he's seriously gone downhill after he peaked with Jackie Brown. The guy is not Stanley fucking Kubrick.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
The problem here is that the final product didn't justify the production time or running length of the film(s).
Agree to disagree.

Quote:
He's been doing B-movies for the past decade and if he were a better filmmaker, he'd be more prolific and/or efficient like Takashi Miike.
I disagree with this. Takashi Miike makes one good film for every 5 he makes. Tarantino, in my opinion, has made a great film every time out save for Death Proof. The lengthy productions aren't necessarily what holds him back from making two films a year, it's the fact that he spends time with his stories and scripts, making sure they are in top shape. Also, a lot of the production issues have to do with cast scheduling, something Miike probably has never had to worry about, whereas Tarantino has to worry about it with nearly all of his films.

Quote:
I think he's seriously gone downhill after he peaked with Jackie Brown.
Again, I disagree. There isn't another director working today making films as entertaining as Tarantino. Kill Bill is bold, epic, smart, entertaining, filled with great performances and featuring some of the best action sequences in decades. Most action directors wish they could direct a sequence as fantastic as the House of Blue Leaves showdown or structure a story in such a satisfying way. Same goes for Basterds (minus the action sequences, of which there are few). There are maybe 4 or 5 directors whose films I will unconditionally go see on opening day. Tarantino is one of those directors.

Quote:
The guy is not Stanley fucking Kubrick.
The sky is blue, death is certain. No one is Stanley fucking Kubrick, nor is anyone arguing otherwise. This is a completely arbitrary comment.

Last edited by Bourne101; 09-24-2012 at 07:16 PM..
Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Tarantino peaked with Pulp Fiction. He hasn't made a movie nearly as great since. Now, having said that, I still love the Kill Bill movies. And Jackie Brown was solid. Inglourious Basterds was alright but I find that movie to be severely overrated. Not even close to being a masterpiece. The first half or so of the movie is fantastic, but the movie kind of derails in the last third. It's still good, but a very flawed movie. Death Proof sucked, but that was a fluke.

So I still love Tarantino. I don't think this will be on the level of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs but I'm hoping for it to be at least on the same level as the Kill Bill movies.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Pulp Fiction was a revelation, a game changer and I doubt he'll ever make another film as good, or as important, as that but Jackie Brown is Tarantino's peak as far as anything substantial or focused is concerned.

It's the only thing he ever directed that wasn't one of his original creations and he reportedly said that he didn't like the experience. There was obviously a major shift after JB and my thinking is that he took it upon himself to start directing movies that he's always wanted, movies for himself first, his audience second. So this means a lot of fucking homage - genres, music, actors, titles, composition etc. - all ingredients from his past, or picked from his encyclopedic mind of obscure cinema, meshed together to make for one very entertaining Tarantino stew.

His movies are nothing but entertainment now and they are extremely entertaining for lovers of violence, quotable dialogue and a taste for catchy tunes. But he let his style completely overshadow any content in his films, and the turning point is definitely Jackie Brown. He's lost more fans than he gained by doing that, but I don't think he gives a fuck because his fanbase is practically a whole generation of people.

PS: I'm still looking forward to Django because it's going to be shittons of fun.