Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Loved the trailer. Really looking forward to this.

(Just don't know when I'll get to see this. My son is due at the end of October/beginning of November.)
Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Daveyjones: Thanks for the find. I knew about most of the other cast members but not about JEH. Perhaps now he'll start being in good movies again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Loved the trailer. Really looking forward to this.

(Just don't know when I'll get to see this. My son is due at the end of October/beginning of November.)
Off-topic, but congratulations! My sister just gave birth to her second child, a baby girl, yesterday. So, again, congratulations.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 PM
This is having its world premiere the day before it opens. If they are confident in the film, they sure aren't showing it.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
This is having its world premiere the day before it opens. If they are confident in the film, they sure aren't showing it.
I think people are finally getting sick of Spielberg's bland, sentimental crap.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Where did all this Spielberg hate come from?
Old 09-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Spielberg's too predictable, come on. Feels like Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, next! with him and his movies.

Lewis will kill it, I have little doubt about that, but I'm just hoping the story is rich with a little more complexity instead of countertop melodramatics.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 View Post
Where did all this Spielberg hate come from?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 PM
lol, good call, echo.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I honestly have little issue with Spielberg. Since 2000, he has made some really good stuff, including A.I.: Artificial Intelligence (a masterpiece, in my opinion), Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can, War of the Worlds, and Munich. Of course, he also made Indy 4, but I think the good certainly outweighs the bad. In terms of sentimentality, War Horse is really his only recent film where I can recall him going overboard with it.

Unfortunately, regardless of my opinion of Spielberg, I was not impressed by the Lincoln trailer (looks like Amistad levels of dull). Maybe it'll be fine, but I'm kind of already looking ahead to Roboapocalypse, which I think has a lot of potential.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
The transformation of Daniel Day-Lewis into Lincoln - behind the scenes with Producer Kathleen Kennedy - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-26u
Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Damn good flick in my book.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:10 AM
The Beard treads a very fine line, in my book, between outstanding and uninspired when tackling historical dramas. The trailer did have more of a schmaltzy (War Horse) feel...but when I see Daniel Day-Lewis doing his Lincoln and a look of that outstanding cast - in a Steven Spielberg film, one that's been a passion of his for over a decade - damn right I'm a little excited.

I will say, though, after a helluva good run, leading up to Munich, nothing he's done since then has been that high of quality. I enjoyed The Adventures of TinTin in a "damn this feels like the Indy flick I was waiting for" kind of way. War Horse did very little for me, despite it's beauty. Crystal Skull? Next question.

So I'm waiting for The Beard to blow me away again.

Last edited by blankpage; 09-21-2012 at 12:12 AM..
Old 09-21-2012, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I was not impressed by the Lincoln trailer (looks like Amistad levels of dull).
And I've always thought that Amistad was one of Spielberg's unsung masterpieces. I LOVE that movie. It's incredible and so powerfully acted. Especially the incredible Djimon Hounsou, who should have gotten an oscar nomination IMO, and Anthony Hopkins.

If Lincoln is only half as great as Amistad, it'll be great.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Spielberg's type of cinema just doesn't appeal to everyone. Correct me if I'm wrong ilovemovies but you loved War Horse too didn't you?

It's been talked about before on these boards many a time, but Spielberg, in my mind, has only really made a couple of outstanding films (one masterpiece) since Schindler's List and those are Munich and A.I.:Artificial Intelligence.

It gives me hope that Munich writer Tony Kushner wrote Lincoln and reportedly said that it's the best script he's ever written, that it's a passion project for Spielberg and that the cast is amazing. All of this stuff was making me look forward to Lincoln, but now that the trailer hit, my skepticism is back.

Can't wait to read initial reviews after its premiere at the AFI festival.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 PM
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...ncoln-20121003

Certainly less dull than the first trailer, but I'm still not sold.

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-03-2012 at 10:27 PM..
Old 10-04-2012, 01:27 PM
^ I feel like that new trailer really played up the drama I was already looking forward to it but DDL looks on point, and if I even had no interest I would still see it just for his performance.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:09 AM
New international trailer for Lincoln may be the best one yet - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2jC
Old 11-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Sooo...shall I be the first to submit my thoughts on the actual film? This thread is a valuable tome chronicling filmgoers' thoughts spanning from the first rumors to the trailer weeks before release. Let's continue.

The final 5 minutes turn an otherwise consistent telling of slavery's abolition into a hagiography geared toward a final tug of the heartstrings before the fade to black, made all the more artificial to me because it had the perfect final shot before it decided to tack on what one would feel is an obligatory end to a film about Lincoln, when in reality Lincoln's life has not been the focus, but an extraordinary and arguably still-relevant achievement.

That gripe aside, Spielberg has fashioned a compelling civics lesson and poignant portrait of he who has become an icon, made all the more witty, realistic and dignified by how self-contained a window into his life it mostly is, how it alone demonstrates how rare a figure he was. The characteristically inspired DDL's rendition of Abe is, as he is in all his roles, he is incredibly magnetic. But he's not alone in an impeccable cast featuring everyone and his brother, all doing top-notch work, as are all other departments.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 PM
I agree with everything you've said.

You should continue posting your thoughts on this thread: http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147262

The movie's out now, no longer upcoming.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Where The Hell Is It?!

I've been chomping at the bit to watch this movie...so has my mother, and my 10 year old daughter. Problem is...it's frickin' dragging around getting to the damnable theaters. I have 2 crappy theaters in my town, but live within an hours drive of 2 really great cinemas. Problem is...they all have fell under the sway of "Twilight" and still haven't even procured "Lincoln". This thing should've been pushed by the studios into more theaters.

What's a man to do?!