Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 PM
End of Watch

Directed by David Ayer

Written by David Ayer

Genre: Crime

Plot Outline: Two young officers are marked for death after confiscating a small cache of money and firearms from the members of a notorious cartel, during a routine traffic stop.

Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Peņa, Anna Kendrick

Rated R for strong violence, some disturbing images, pervasive language including sexual references, and some drug use

Runtime: 109 minutes

The trailers were solid, but the reaction so far has been really positive. I'll probably check it out next weekend.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:48 PM
I wonder why no one is talking about it? It is getting good reviews, one review claimed "better than Training Day" (which I doubt), and everything I've seen or read so far has been positive.

Gritty cops and criminals is right up my alley so I was hooked from the first TV spot I saw. Even if its half as good as Training Day and similar in vibe that makes it a must see to me. I am definitely looking forward to this.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm definitely pumped for this but I'll probably wait until it hits dvd and I can rent it at RedBox - times are tight
Old 09-18-2012, 01:34 PM
I think it looks solid enough but some of the reviews I've read have confirmed my initial suspicions that this is an LAPD recruitment video. AKA, supermen, squeaky clean flawless police officers.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
I think it looks solid enough but some of the reviews I've read have confirmed my initial suspicions that this is an LAPD recruitment video. AKA, supermen, squeaky clean flawless police officers.
I agree that that's a bummer in some ways, but on the other hand, at least it's original, right? I mean, corrupt cop movies are basically rom-coms for guys. And there are some solid real policemen. The whole "real" camera stuff turns me off to this immensely.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:10 PM
I agree that dirty cop movies are done to death, as well, but I'm generally drawn to characters with at least ONE flaw. Doesn't have to be the cliche dirty cop, or drunk cop, but something three-dimensional. That said, it does like intense as shit and while I hate the shaky cam/found footage...I loved Training Day and I enjoy the two leads.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Looks great and Jake Gyllenhaal is one of the most dependable leading men today. Definitely the most dependable actor under 40 working today. He not only always deliver great performances, but his movies generally are great.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:09 AM
The JoBlo review has renewed my interest in this film. I'm now very drawn to this that it follows more the day-to-day terrors of being a city cop than just cops vs. drug cartel.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:50 PM
The cover features two uniformed LAPD officers. One of which is wielding a stockless AK-47 with what appears to be a chrome or gold-plated magazine. It screams high school action film. Make me feel like a man, so I can finger bang my girl on the ride home to Daddy's house.

No thanks. I'll save my money.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:08 AM
I saw this quite some time ago (Sat a few rows in front of the beautiful Anna Kendrick)... it was an amazing movie.

At first I didnt like the first person camera work, but it goes in and out of it in a way that isnt a distraction.

In reviews I have read the ending is a bit "Hollywood"... the cut I saw was not "Hollywood" by any stretch and was fucking amazing.

If anyone else can spoiler tag the ending for me in here, I'd appreciate it, then I can see if they changed it.

It was just a great movie with 2 characters that are good friends and have a great relationship and joke with each other, and the story follows them uncovering a drug cartel in southern california.

Really solid movie that everyone should go check out.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU80 View Post
The cover features two uniformed LAPD officers. One of which is wielding a stockless AK-47 with what appears to be a chrome or gold-plated magazine. It screams high school action film. Make me feel like a man, so I can finger bang my girl on the ride home to Daddy's house.

No thanks. I'll save my money.
I'm not detective but I'd bet that AK-47, they take from the cartel and this just happened to be an action shot from the third act that the creative team felt was a one for the poster. You had this same general impression of Lawless without seeing that film, either.

I'm curious as to which action movies, can be based primarily on promotional material because that's what it's been in these two recent threads, that you actually do look forward to?
Old 09-22-2012, 05:01 PM
I found this film to be pretty intense and authentic. Gyllenhaal continues to prove why he is one of the best actors in Hollywood. Ayer is in his comfort zone, but this is different than any of the films he has don in the past. Check out my full review - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-27v
Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Saw it earlier today. It's pretty great. Visceral, emotional, surprisingly funny. The relationship between Gyllenhaal and Pena is natural and very believable. Pena should get Oscar consideration.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post
one review claimed "better than Training Day" (which I doubt)
It's better than Training Day, and I'm a fan of Training Day.

Quote:
I didn't really get that vibe. They're certainly not flawless and it certainly shows how brutal the consequences can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
The whole "real" camera stuff turns me off to this immensely.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. It isn't used throughout the whole film, and when it is it's extremely effective. It's either used when they are driving in the streets and you see from the POV of the police camera or when Gyllenhaal and Pena are documenting their work, in which case they have a small camera attached to their uniform. That latter method makes for some really intense scenes (like running through hallways, not knowing what's around the corner). I'd say probably 50-75% of the film is shot normally, albeit very gritty. It provides a glimpse of LA that would make Michael Mann extremely proud.

Quote:
It's misleading marketing. He's not really wielding it, he just seized it from a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
In reviews I have read the ending is a bit "Hollywood"... the cut I saw was not "Hollywood" by any stretch and was fucking amazing.

If anyone else can spoiler tag the ending for me in here, I'd appreciate it, then I can see if they changed it.
The ending is totally not Hollywood.

Spoiler:
Gyllenhaal gets shot and Pena is leaning over him trying to stop the bleeding when the cartel members come up behind them. Pena looks back and sees them and one of them says "checkmate puto" and they kill him. The cops roll up and kill the cartel members. It then cuts to Pena's funeral and we see that Gyllenhaal survived and he struggles to get words out during the eulogy. There is then a little clip before the credits showing the two joking around, indicating how special their friendship was.

I guess Gyllenhaal surviving is what makes it seem "Hollywood", but it's a pretty somber ending nonetheless.

Quote:
I'm not detective but I'd bet that AK-47, they take from the cartel and this just happened to be an action shot from the third act that the creative team felt was a one for the poster. You had this same general impression of Lawless without seeing that film, either.
Yep.

Anyway, as for my thoughts on the film... it will be in my top 10 of the year, no questions asked. It's one of those rare films that you aren't really anticipating all that much and the trailer is just kind of OK, and then it sneaks up on you and blows you away. The cartel members may be a little thin, but the relationship between Gyllenhaal and Pena is so damn good and their characters are fully developed. It's also really fucking intense. It basically shows you the day-to-day South Central routine and how one false move, be it intentional or unintentional, can cost you. Like Spike said, it's just incredibly visceral, emotional and quite funny (the rapport between Gyllenhaal and Pena is terrific). Unlike Training Day, which is an excellent film, it stays on the rails right through to the credits.

Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Last edited by Bourne101; 09-23-2012 at 03:37 PM..
Old 09-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Yep.

Anyway, as for my thoughts on the film... it will be in my top 10 of the year, no questions asked. It's one of those rare films that you aren't really anticipating all that much and the trailer is just kind of OK, and then it sneaks up on you and blows you away. The cartel members may be a little thin, but the relationship between Gyllenhaal and Pena is so damn good and their characters are fully developed. It's also really fucking intense. It basically shows you the day-to-day South Central routine and how one false move, be it intentional or unintentional, can cost you. Like Spike said, it's just incredibly visceral, emotional and quite funny (the rapport between Gyllenhaal and Pena is terrific). Unlike Training Day, which is an excellent film, it stays on the rails right through to the credits.

Do yourself a favor and check it out.
This is why the film works as well as it does. I loved their friendship, cared deeply for both of them, and was fully invested in anything that happened to them. It makes the few things that work a little less not that important.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Quote:

I'm curious as to which action movies, can be based primarily on promotional material because that's what it's been in these two recent threads, that you actually do look forward to?

First: They do not send uniform patrol officers to single handedly take down a drug cartel. Unless, of course, they are planning two extra funerals into the budget that year.

Second: I have since watched Lawless. My opinion has not changed. Sorry.

Third: Movies with a complete and utter lack of anything that resembles reality, in even a slight sense, I have zero time for. Sorry again.

Fourth: My opinions are my own. They are not meant to be a judgemental middle finger towards anyone who enjoys this movie or any other movie for that matter.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
I found this film to be pretty intense and authentic. Gyllenhaal continues to prove why he is one of the best actors in Hollywood. Ayer is in his comfort zone, but this is different than any of the films he has don in the past. Check out my full review - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-27v
How do you determine what is authentic?

Are you a cop?

Are you a drug dealer?

I don't think 99.9% of the bullshit that the Hollywood action movie scene throws out is even in the same ballpark with the word authentic.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
First: They do not send uniform patrol officers to single handedly take down a drug cartel. Unless, of course, they are planning two extra funerals into the budget that year.

Second: I have since watched Lawless. My opinion has not changed. Sorry.

Third: Movies with a complete and utter lack of anything that resembles reality, in even a slight sense, I have zero time for. Sorry again.

Fourth: My opinions are my own. They are not meant to be a judgemental middle finger towards anyone who enjoys this movie or any other movie for that matter.
I did not view your opinions as a judgmental middle finger because I found nothing malicious in your replies. But this is a movie forum in which discussions are supposed to take place and I was trying to evoke a discussion.

But you've soured on two generally well-received movies of recent and I'm trying to find out why.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Ummm first of all no one sends the cops on a mission to take down the cartels... Maybe figure out the actual plot before posting. Moreover one doesn't have to be a cop or drug dealer to know if the film is authentic. Having been one of those two I can say its not too far off from the truth, but my point is you can study the culture and roles... You know... The same way an actor prepares for a new role? As for end of watch, 7/10

Last edited by WormMagic; 09-23-2012 at 11:08 PM..
Old 09-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Quote:
First: They do not send uniform patrol officers to single handedly take down a drug cartel.
You're right... and that's totally not the plot.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Quote:
You're right... and that's totally not the plot.
Perhaps not. However, the end result, in real life, would be they both end up in a box at the end.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Yay! Let's talk about movies we haven't seen!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 AM
one of the best of the year. what a surprise! low expectations going in, was pretty much blown away.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:16 AM
Okay. Decided to stop talking shit about a movie I haven't seen, so I went to see it.

Guess what? It sucks.

To the guy who responded to me saying that the films authenticity wasn't too far off the mark. Really? Based on what factors?

It was an X games pump up video with guns.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Okay. Decided to stop talking shit about a movie I haven't seen, so I went to see it.

Guess what? It sucks.

To the guy who responded to me saying that the films authenticity wasn't too far off the mark. Really? Based on what factors?

It was an X games pump up video with guns.
Also, better than Training Day? Is that a joke? I really hope so.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 AM
Training Day was hardly a great movie. I liked it and Denzel was amazing in the movie. But the movie itself was merely just good, not great.

I haven't seen End of Watch yet, but as far as David Ayer's previous movies, I would say Harsh Times is better than Training Day. I thought Christian Bale and Freddy Rodriguez both gave fantastic performances in that movie.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Quote:
That's commitment man. Deciding at 8:30PM last night that you needed to validate your preconceived notions, and subsequently going to a late show of End of Watch? Well done.

Last edited by Bourne101; 09-25-2012 at 08:09 AM..
Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Quote:
The ending is totally not Hollywood.

Spoiler:
Gyllenhaal gets shot and Pena is leaning over him trying to stop the bleeding when the cartel members come up behind them. Pena looks back and sees them and one of them says "checkmate puto" and they kill him. The cops roll up and kill the cartel members. It then cuts to Pena's funeral and we see that Gyllenhaal survived and he struggles to get words out during the eulogy. There is then a little clip before the credits showing the two joking around, indicating how special their friendship was.

I guess Gyllenhaal surviving is what makes it seem "Hollywood", but it's a pretty somber ending nonetheless.

Awesome, ya that is the exact ending I saw.. I didnt find it Hollywood at all, no idea what the critic I read was talking about.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Training Day was hardly a great movie. I liked it and Denzel was amazing in the movie. But the movie itself was merely just good, not great.
Blasphemy! They got room for you at the booty house, you ever been to the booty house. Big boys have you grab you ankles...
Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 PM
I wasn't impressed with the movie. The found footage style was annoying, it doesn't make me feel part of the action at all. It makes me wonder what the hell is happening because it's all filmed too close on the actors. It makes me wonder how it's possible everybody just happens to film everything. Thank god the movie wasn't only found footage.

Most of the movie is the bantering between two cops and if you've seen one cop in LA movie, you know someone will bite the dust at the end. So they ham it up with the personal drama of the two cops just to make the end more sad. I watch movies, I know cops are brothers. I don't need to watch two hours of male bonding for that.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:23 PM
For everyone who liked this, what were your thoughts on Harsh Times?

I quite like Training Day but I absolutely despise Harsh Times so I've been quite skeptical about this one. The positive reactions from some schmoes here have me a little more optimistic...
Old 10-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post

I quite like Training Day but I absolutely despise Harsh Times so I've been quite skeptical about this one. The positive reactions from some schmoes here have me a little more optimistic...
Haven't seen this movie yet, but as I have already noted, I liked Harsh Times a lot and I think that movie contains one of Christian Bale's best performances. Why didn't you like it?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 PM
I know his performance had its share of fans but I actually didn't like Bale in Harsh Times. I remember thinking it was an over-the-top caricature with little depth to mine or understand. It felt surface-level to me. But perhaps that's more of a problem with the script than anything. All the repetitive ebonics in the dialogue might have gone over better if the film had given me a better understanding of the characters.

I also found it rather episodic and aimless with some heavy-handed directorial choices especially in the first half - which can be fine if each little bit added new dimensions to understand about the characters, but they didn't, instead just generally irritating me (even if I liked Bale's performance, I find this character grating as fuck to watch). I saw it in theatres so it's been quite a while but I remember being bored out of my skull for most of the film and irritated with Bale's character for the rest. I think it was my least favourite movie of 2005.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 10-02-2012 at 11:42 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Not really a fan. Kind of entertaining, but too over-the-top and it never really felt like there was any kind of build. The conclusion was also pretty unsatisfying.

Quote:
I like Training Day as well. I think End of Watch is very different than both of those films, and I also think it's better than both of those films. The cartel members are one-dimensional, but the film isn't really about them (they are only in a few scenes). It's more about Gyllenhaal and Pena, their daily routine, and the idea of the power that a cartel has.

Quote:
I also found it rather episodic and aimless with some heavy-handed directorial choices especially in the first half - which can be fine if each little bit added new dimensions to understand about the characters, but they didn't, instead just generally irritating me (even if I liked Bale's performance, I find this character grating as fuck to watch).
End of Watch is a bit episodic, but not aimless. I think you'll enjoy it.

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-03-2012 at 12:33 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM
I need to see this. Just havent had the time but hopefully I get around to seeing it this weekend.

Oh and I can completely understand the hate for Harsh Times. It was over the top BUT I found it entertaining enough and unintentionally funny too. Bale had me cracking up (Bale trying to pass a drug test had my laughing my ass off)
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Could of been better but I dug it for the most part.

The chemistry between the two leads was really good.

7/10
Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Disappointing. There were two things that kept this from working for me. 1) Director David Ayer makes one fundamental fatal flaw with this movie that ruined it for me. And that is filming it in POV/found footage type and it gets so annoying, particularly during the first half. Consequently, I was never truly able to get into this movie. Maybe it'll play better on television. I'll give the movie another shot when it comes out on Blu-Ray. For now, it just didn't work for me.

The other thing I really didn't like about the movie is that the bad guys are such wildly cartoonish caricatures that they are actually quite annoying.

On the plus side, it's well acted. The chemistry between Gyllenhaal and Pena is definitely the best thing about the movie. The best scenes in the movie, without a doubt, are the scenes between the two of them alone in their police car, talking and patrolling the area. Pena is especially good, delivering the movie's best performance and might even be worthy of an Oscar nomination. There were a few scenes where, not only did the POV stuff not interfere with the movie, but even kind of aided it. This is especially true during the movie's climax. And the ending was definitely moving. And kind of surprising too.

Spoiler:
I was surprised that Gyllenhaal turned out to be alive. Thought for sure he was dead.

But overall, I found this movie to be pretty disappointing. Definitely Ayer's weakest effort to date as both a writer and director.

6/10
Old 10-12-2012, 08:19 AM
I know that David Ayer wrote Training Day , but he didn't direct it. So far this is his best directed film to date , Harsh Times was alright and so was Street Kings.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 AM
Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peņa are equally outstanding as Los Angeles Police Department officers
who work in South Central Los Angeles in End of Watch
Gritty,moving,violent and humorous at times EOW is never boring and is as unpredictable as each crime
scene the duo enters.The good definitely outweighs the cliched and stereotypical moments in the film.
Great supporting work from David Harbour, Natalie Martinez, Anna Kendrick
and America Ferrera.
The leads should look for plenty of awards in a few months.

Scale of 1-10 a 9
Old 11-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Really good cop flick. And it had the potential to be as good as Training Day but in the end, came up short for a couple reasons. As someone mentioned above, the bad guys were pretty lame overall. Which brings me to my main gripe about this movie....

Spoiler:
When they are following the bad guy into the trap set for them, and they are crossing the square in the apartment complex, 4 people with automatic weapons open fire on them from less than 50 feet away, from a balcony above them and hit nothing????? Seriously, Ayer did that shit. First thing I thought was no fucking way a director this good can fuck up this bad. But he did. That scene was so unrealistic it ruined the movie for me from that point on.

But up until that scene, it was very good. I wouldn't say it was ever Training Day good, but it was definitely very good. Do something else with that scene, I don't know what but something else at least plausible and this is an 8 or 9 out of 10. But that one scene was very bad IMO so I give it a 7/10.