Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Just listened to Overkill's The Electric Age. Probably the best thing they've done in a decade. Bobby Blitz can shriek just as good, if not better, as he did 25 years ago. Their last few albums have been good, but unremarkable. If you played me Iron Bound, Imortalis, and Relixiv, I couldn't possibly tell you which was which, but The Electric Age is top shelf stuff. Great album.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:50 PM
ORLY ? haven't been into Overkill since their "Under the Influence/Horroscope" days. Good to know they are still going strong ... i'll check it out

awww the memories i get from Hello from the Gutter ... sporting a mullet with my torn jeans and listening to my yellow Sony Walkman
Old 05-10-2012, 07:26 PM
I've always considered Overkill to be just outside "The Big Four" - a second tier metal band along the lines of Testament. When I was growing up, I did not like Overkill at all. It wasn't until Horrorscope that I changed my mind, but it still took some time for me to really warm up to them. I credit Killbox 13 for turning me into a full on fan, but it's the album that came out right before that one, Bloodletting, that I still consider to be their best.

Of The Big Four, I think Megadeth is most like Overkill, and until the 90s, Megadeth was the superior band, but in the years since 1999 (Risk), I would say that Overkill is now the better band.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:43 AM
Well i checked the new Overkill on Youtube ....

Overkill - Come and get it musically it reminded me of old-school trash metal and it's a pretty good song but Blitz's voice seemed undertuned ... either a bad rip or the sound guy failed.

The good thing about Youtube is the right side links ... with Overkill i found a slick Dave Lombardo drum solo HQ

ok , it didn't best Flo Mournier from Cryptopsy but still it was good (Phobophile rehearsal was awesome )

I'm still waiting for a new Gorguts album tho .... IT WAS SUPPOSED TO COME OUT IN 2011 !!!

All i got was this Untitled song 2011
Old 05-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
Well i checked the new Overkill on Youtube ....

Overkill - Come and get it musically it reminded me of old-school trash metal and it's a pretty good song but Blitz's voice seemed undertuned ... either a bad rip or the sound guy failed.[/url]
Ack. That's a pretty bad rip. Sounds like an old Real Audio file, circa 1998.

My favorite Overkill song is Thunderhead.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:09 AM
Early call for album of the year:

Old school metal/doom
Old 05-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Can you name some metal bands with a singer who has rough vocals (Motorhead, High on Fire)?

Idk too much about metal. I like motorhead and having read this thread I started listening to High on Fire, with Warhorn played on repeat. Great music. Metallica are alright too. I'm not liking the death metal i've heard like Marduk or Cannibal Corpse, but i do like Skull Full of Maggots. When I was younger I was mostly put off metal because of Iron Maiden, I hated that drama queen metal. It was mostly motorhead and that was all I liked. And now High on Fire, so it got me thinking what else was out there.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:48 AM
FUCKYEAH !!!!! Fear Factory cd "The Industrialist" is out today.

Free legal streaming -> http://music.aol.ca/new-releases-full-cds/#/14

So far it's really close to the classic Demanufacture and i'm digging Godeater alot ( the intro ā la John Carpenter is pretty sweet ).

Full review later but forecast is most likely a buy when i get my next paycheck
Old 06-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Ok here's my full review

This CD -The Industrialist- is probably the closest output to their classic Demanufacture CD back in 1995.

At this point , if you don't know the Demanufacture album or lack knowledge of the Fear Factory history , just stop reading. This is not an album made to enlarge the fanbase , this is a work of recognition to the old-timers fan like me.

I loved Mechanize. The return of Dino on guitar was the best thing that could happen to the band and the addition of Gene "The Atomic Clock" Hoglan on drum was the icing on the cake. Yet i was not convince on the future on the group , it could be a lucky shot ( like Archetype ) and the feud between Dino and Burton is legendary. I'm glad they sorted their shit out and finally admit that 2 heads is better than 1. The Industrialist is in the same vein as Mechanize - yeah no more Digimortal shit - but more focused in another concept album ā la Obsolete.

The concept album is a lost art on most modern artist and when done right , it's memorable ( Queensryche - Operation : Mindcrime comes to mind ). For Fear Factory , Obsolete was a really good concept album but it falls a bit flat on The Industrialist. I think the main problem is the song order. Honestly dont put the 2 "ambiant-noise-weird" songs at the end of the CD , use them to moderate the anger.

My other "cringe" is the fact that Gene Hoglan is not on drum duty , Dino is the guy programming the electronic drum. Gene is a legendary drummer in the metal world and FF couldn't keep him on hold for 2 years , sadly. The electronic drum is fine ... too fine/clean actually. I know they got a good replacement for the tour but the sound of the drum is souless ( praise the machine! )

Production value is very high with Rhys Fulber back on ambiance/keyboard duty and Greg Reely as producer ( 2 ex-Front Line Assembly .. legendary canadian industrial act). This album is the concrete proof that FF is Burton and Dino , nothing more nothing less. The Industrialist is the proof that Mechanize was not a fluke.

People can like or not like Fear Factory ( i like them ) but the general consensus is that they have a very unique sound. The Industrialist is a proof of skill.

Favorite tracks : God Eater , Recharger and Virus of Faith

TL'DR it's a pretty relentless album and i'm happy but it's not perfect

Rating : 8/10
Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Just listened to the whole Burzum album again for the first time in 10 years. It was really fulfilling, still one of the banners of Black Metal.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Demanufacture/Re-Manufacture are the only Fear Factory albums I like. I thought Obsolete was terrible, and the others that came after where just meh. I might give this one a shot, though.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:17 AM
I just discovered a band called The 69 Eyes. I can't believe I've never heard of them, as their sound is right up my ally. They're like a cross between The Cult and Sisters of Mercy, by way of Type O Negative and maybe a little bit of Brides of Destruction thrown in. And they've been around for quite some time. I'm loving the hell out of their album Back in Blood.

Back in Blood

Some Kind of Magic (my favorite song so far)

And you know a band has earned their goth-rock cred when they do a tribute song to Brandon Lee.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Anyone also chilling to the new [B]Kreator[/B - PHANTOM ANTICHRIST]? Itīs a very solid record with some slamming songs like "Death to the World" (which fucking kills). I liked Hordes of Chaos a bit more because thereīs some parts on the new one that donīt rock my boat (such as the manowarish "From Flood into Fire") but if youīre trash fan you canīt go too wrong with it.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm always impressed how old metal group are still going strong. I haven't really listen to anything from Kreator since their Extreme Aggression/Coma of Souls heydays.

will check it out
Old 07-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Am glad to see there's a metal thread here! I report to metal duty

Does anyone here know Mercenary? One of my favorite metal bands.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:28 AM
This might be considered blasphemy in the metal world, but I really don't think Slayer is that great of a band.

Don't get me wrong. Seasons in the Abyss is a fantastic album - easily a top ten all time metal album, but I think it's the only great thing they've done. I also like God Hates Us All, though that seems to be an unpopular album of theirs. South of Heaven is a good song (I wouldn't say "great"), but their stuff prior to Seasons in the Abyss just does nothing for me. Nor has their more recent stuff.

I guess I don't really understand how they were ever considered part of The Big Four, especially before Seasons came out.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
This might be considered blasphemy in the metal world, but I really don't think Slayer is that great of a band.

Don't get me wrong. Seasons in the Abyss is a fantastic album - easily a top ten all time metal album, but I think it's the only great thing they've done. I also like God Hates Us All, though that seems to be an unpopular album of theirs. South of Heaven is a good song (I wouldn't say "great"), but their stuff prior to Seasons in the Abyss just does nothing for me. Nor has their more recent stuff.

I guess I don't really understand how they were ever considered part of The Big Four, especially before Seasons came out.
Because without their first three albums the term "trash metal" wouldnīt exist, at least not in the now common sense. Hell, even "death metal" would be unthinkable as it is without that influence. The only band equal in that terms is Metallica. "Reign in Blood" was also one of the main albums that made trash popular to a big enough audience to fill arenas with. I think the term "big four" came around in the 2000s because someone figured out it would be good for each bands record and merch selling business.

Iīm not too much into trash metal (never got into Testament, Overkill or Anthrax) but I like some Slayer because theyīre just beyond that simple genre term. My favorite is "Hell awaits" closely followed by "Seasons in the Abyss".
Old 07-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehydrator View Post
I think the term "big four" came around in the 2000s because someone figured out it would be good for each bands record and merch selling business.
The term has been around since those bands were dominating the late 80s, because they were The Big Four at the time. There's a reason the Clash of the Titans tour in 1992 was such a big deal, because it had three of the big four in it.

Slayer didn't invent thrash. They came up right alongside bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Overkill, Annihilator, etc. To say the genre wouldn't exist without them would be to ignore the genre itself. Slayer wasn't born in a vacuum, they simply pulled away from the pack.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Anthraxīs "Fistful of Metal" doesnīt sound all that trashy too me (it sounds like a slower and lesser version of "Kill em all" to my ears), neither does Overkillīs "Feel the Fire". Megadeth were born from Metallica. Slayerīs "Show no Mercy" was the most extreme and fastest thing around that time, properbly only rivaled by Exodus. Any trash band from that time took a bite out of it. Itīs properbly a matter of definition. When it came up in the early 80s trash was considered fast, aggressive and "trashy" and Slayer did these terms more extreme than anyone else. Donīt get me wrong, Iīm not too much of a Slayer fanboy either. But their influence canīt be denied and itīs rather their first three albums (up to "Reign in Blood") that fits my description above than any of their later stuff.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:11 PM
I've been watching Metal Evolution lately ... pretty interesting stuff.

Never thought Slayer - Diabolus in Musica was that much influenced by the Nu Metal wave. Probably why it's not my favorite Slayer cd ( Reign in Blood is ).
Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 PM
New Between the Buried and Me song off their upcoming fall release that I know some of you (my man SkyNet especially) may be interested in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Xi_TafYAcd8

Fuck, these guys never fail to disappoint me. One of the most consistent bands in metal today.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:48 AM
Quote:
The term has been around since those bands were dominating the late 80s, because they were The Big Four at the time. There's a reason the Clash of the Titans tour in 1992 was such a big deal, because it had three of the big four in it.

Slayer didn't invent thrash. They came up right alongside bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Overkill, Annihilator, etc. To say the genre wouldn't exist without them would be to ignore the genre itself. Slayer wasn't born in a vacuum, they simply pulled away from the pack.
Fuck me I feel old. The term "The Big Four" orginated in the mid to late eighties when the bands were at their peak. I reckon I first heard it in 1986/7 after Reign in Blood, Peace Sells, Master of Puppets and Among the Living were released.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:01 AM
Do you remember the opening band for the Clash tour ? Alice in Chains ! hehe

BTW Lamb of God had to forfeit the HEAVY MTL/HEAVY T.O. shows since their singer is still in jail in the Czech Republic awaiting his trial for manslaughter. The good news (for me at least ) is that In Flames have confirmed they will replace Lamb of God. RAAAAAWR !
Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Currently drooling allover Dopethrone by the great Electric Wizard. Fuck this album rules. I just found out that Jim Mattheos and John Arch did a colabo album earlier this year, anyone checked it out? I will soon enough but Iīve got too much music on my hands at the moment.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:14 AM
I just found out that Nightwish/Kamelot are coming to town. Too bad neither band has their original singers. I saw Nightwish four years ago and they were... okay. Anette got winded pretty quickly. But I mostly want to go to see Kamelot, who have apparently picked a new singer (some guy from a band called Seventh Wonder). I'll reserve final judgement until I hear him actually sing with Kamelot, but I can't say I was too impressed by what I've heard in his other band.

On a side note: the new Sonata Arctica album is great.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Anette got winded pretty quickly.

I admit that she was out of touch on Dark Passion Play but she's great on Imaginaerium.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:16 AM
She was definitely better on the album, but when it came to a live performance, she just couldn't keep up. Some singers just don't sound very good performing live.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:29 PM
I just re-discoverd this overlooked norse black metal titans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELOBj...eature=related

Funny they also have a new album out, their first since 18 years or so
Old 08-14-2012, 03:28 AM
after HeavyMTL , i went back to my old catalogue.....

My Dying Bride - Catherine Blake

have they actually crossed the ocean and toured in North America ?

Their music is incredibly beautiful yet so depressing.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:29 AM
I am laughing so hard atm wahahahaha!!!

Slayer - Angel of Death (Radio Disney Version )

this guy is awesome
Old 08-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Quote:
I am laughing so hard atm wahahahaha!!!

Slayer - Angel of Death (Radio Disney Version )

this guy is awesome
This one is my second favorite..Nothing tops his version of Hammer Smashed Face ..Everytime I hear that shit I am crying with laughter
Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 AM
That guy is serious business .... not only does he makes "disney version" of metal song , he also makes "metal" version of other style

Joe Cocker - Summer in the city (death metal version)

and whatever mixed with whatever

Ozzy Osbourne - Children of the grave (Reggae version )

That's talent .... especially when you consider he adapted his work to match the videos
Old 09-18-2012, 10:20 PM
going to see Nightwish this wednesday night .....

i was afraid coz Tarja won't be there and while i like the 2 albums with Anette , i was scared for the old school material

then i saw this video on Youtube

Anette singing Nemo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXEJFm7yGhQ

of course , it's not Tarja caliber but it's good imo

/reassured
Old 09-21-2012, 03:52 PM
just discovered this band

it's canadian

it's all female !!!!

Kittie - Cut Throat

Kittie - What I Always Wanted

Kittie - Charlotte

I'm in love !
Old 09-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Wait, you JUST discovered Kittie?
Old 09-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Berry View Post
Wait, you JUST discovered Kittie?
yup , guess the name never appealed to me
Old 09-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Quote:
yup , guess the name never appealed to me
Hello Kittie?

Some new stuff I'm digging:

Ufomammut - Oro: Opus Alter
Witchcraft - Legend

And if you're a fan of Neurosis check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rezrv...layer_embedded
Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 PM
the new As I Lay Dying came out yesterday

1st video : A Greater Foundation

not bad , not bad at all !
Old 09-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Just got back from Nightwish/Kamelot - great show. And there was no extra opening act, so Kamelot started off the show right away. They played for about 45 minutes and then Nightwish took the stage for about 90 minutes.

Kamelot - They played a great variety of songs from several albums, including a song off their new album out in October. The sound was a little distorted and hard to understand, and that's just about my only complaint. The new singer is damn near an exact vocal doppelganger of Roy Kahn, which was a huge relief to me. I mean, he sounded exactly like him, so now I'm really looking forward to their new album. The band also had a great stage presence and goofy sense of humor about them.

Nightwish - Much better than when I saw them in 2008. The set list was very solid and flowed well (not to mention that they came out to the theme from Crimson Tide). I was surprised that they played Wish I Had an Angel for their second song as I assumed that would be their finale. Oddly enough, they didn't play anything prior to Once, save for Over the Hills and Far Away. Their entire set was from their last three albums. Annette was constantly running off stage to cool down (plus, I swear she's put on a few pounds). They were also good about interacting with the crowd. The only real disappointment with them was that they didn't do an encore.

The crowd was awesome. There was a wide range of ages, though the vast majority was clearly under 30. There were some families with young kids, and I even saw an old lady who had to be 70 or so, rocking a freshly bought Nightwish shirt. Lots of fat girls with big boobs. It was fucking jam packed.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Just got back from Nightwish/Kamelot
Well ... that show was surely a classic since i got this on Facebook today

"Press statement

Another chapter of the Nightwish story has ended today. Nightwish and Anette Olzon have decided to part company, in mutual understanding, for the good of all parties involved.

In recent times it has become increasingly obvious that the direction and the needs of the band were in conflict, and this has led to a division from which we cannot recover."

The singer from After Forever is replacing her for the remaining on the tour.