Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Dredd 3D

Director: Pete Travis
Budget: $50,000,000 (estimated)
Runtime: 95 min

Did nobody go to see this?? It's holding very well @ Rotten Tomatoes at 76% and from pretty much all accounts its flat out bad ass...I'll be honest I wrote this off as a "Punisher-esque" style reboot from the beginning but was definitely surprised at all the positive feedback.

I have yet to see it as well because times are kind of tight for myself and I'm being very selective what I decide to drop money on these days, but overall I was pretty shocked at how hard this bombed with all the buzz around the reviews. Has anyone seen it? And whats some of your thoughts on why it has totally bombed, lack of character interest? Poor marketing? Not widely known lead actor?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
Not widely known lead actor?
Because that hurt Thor so much as well right?

Thank god they slapped Liv Tyler on the posters of Lord of the Rings, otherwise people would've avoided that movie too.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the awesome input
Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 AM
It must have tanked badly. It's already out of my local theater this Friday. I'll definitely try and see it before then. It looks alright.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Lmao! I knew this film would flop even before a trailer hit. I have no inclination of seeing it. Not even on dvd, Same goes for that shit Total Recall, starring dickhead Farrel. But crap comes in three's. And guess what will be the biggest piece of shit remake yet? Yup, you guessed it. Robocop. Or in this case, Robocrap.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
Thanks for the awesome input
I'll second that.. LMAO!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Lmao! I knew this film would flop even before a trailer hit. I have no inclination of seeing it. Not even on dvd, Same goes for that shit Total Recall, starring dickhead Farrel. But crap comes in three's. And guess what will be the biggest piece of shit remake yet? Yup, you guessed it. Robocop. Or in this case, Robocrap.

This is not a Remake of the "classic" Stallone Dredd , that one should not even count as a Dredd film since it's an abomination , this one is leagues ahead of that piece of shit.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
This is not a Remake of the "classic" Stallone Dredd , that one should not even count as a Dredd film since it's an abomination , this one is leagues ahead of that piece of shit.
It's still got the name Dredd in the title. It's a definitive reboot/remake/whatever. I like the Stallone version. And you have seen Dredd, have you? You know for a fact it's leagues ahead of the original? I'm willing to bet it's the other way around. 90% of these new versions are SHIT.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:02 AM
Quote:
It's still got the name Dredd in the title. It's a definitive reboot/remake/whatever. I like the Stallone version. And you have seen Dredd, have you? You know for a fact it's leagues ahead of the original? I'm willing to bet it's the other way around. 90% of these new versions are SHIT.
I haven't read one person who has seen it say the Stallone one is better, I've heard nothing but great things about Dredd and hope to see it next week.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 AM
best 3D movie i seen, alot of my friends rated avatar for best 3D lol hell i like avatar but dredd isnt pg at all like most movies that come out these days its brutal. very brutal and dark. i love it for that. avatar just threw 3d for no reason at you. very well used budget. dredd is a awesome character. most underrated movie of 2012 imo. shame they didnt go hard on marketing, instant bluray buy for me very impressed. if they dont make more sequels its a mega disappointment for me. really wanna see the dark judges if done right they could be one of the top screen villains of all time.

had no idea who mama was but still was a decent villain anyone with taste on these forums will have a soft spot for this movie. what did jimmy o give it or whpever reviewed it for this site 8/10?

p.s typed this on a phone at work

Last edited by Machinist_X; 10-04-2012 at 05:29 AM..
Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 PM
It's a fun action movie, but little else. I thought Karl Urban did a great job as the lead character, but I didn't think much of the rest of the cast. The 3D was well done, particularly with the drug euphoria sequences and gory violence. The story itself is alright, not too much to it really, but there were parts to the movie that were weak or wasn't explained all that well: the psychic and the ending are the two that stood out to me that weren't too well done. In the end, it's an entertaining, blood-and-guts action movie, with little else going for it.

6/10
Old 10-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Quote:
It's odd because having been around these forums for a while and having half an idea as to what kind of shite rocks your boat and I think you would at the very least like this. Perhaps even like it a lot. I was kind of already programmed to enjoy it because I've been reading 2000AD since 1977 and Dredd is one of my favourite strips. This is a far more faithful representation of the character and his world than that served up by the Stallone version. It's not perfect. It lacks the budget to do full justice to the material aesthetically (that said...it's no slouch in the aesthetics department). But it captures the spirit of the comic strip almost 100%.

A fair indication of how good a movie it is comes in the form of my wife who accompanied me. She was not looking forward to it. She knew next to nothing about the character and doesn't really care for explicit violence. She enjoyed it. I was surprised even though I loved it. Figured as the end credits rolled it had probably been an endurance test for her. That wasn't the case. Add to that the fact that a film critic friend of mine had to be cajoled for weeks before he relented and went to see it...as much to shut me up as anything else. He liked it too. It's a really good action movie. You should definitely check it out.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:20 AM

This movie fucking rocked. Dredd here is a far more badass character than when Stallone played him, I have to say. Now does that mean I liked more than the Stallone movie? I'm not sure. They are kind of equal to my eyes. There are things I liked about the Stallone film and there are things I liked about this movie.

I also can understand the comparisons this movie has been getting to The Raid, from earlier this year. Again, I'm not sure which one I like more. They are both extremely badass movies. Although they both are very different. The Raid had far more martial arts action where this is purely gun fights. It's a shoot 'em up and a very cool one at that. And god, Lena Heady is such a babe and a great bad guy.

Another thing I have to mention is the use of slow motion. I've seen slow motion technique used so badly in so many movies but I gotta say, this movie contains some of the best and coolest use of slow mo in a long time. The ending in particular.

I walked into the movie with low expectations but this movie was definitely one of the year's more pleasant surprises. I enjoyed the hell out of it!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Saw it, the other day, a lot of fun (7/10)