Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Watching WHITE ZOMBIE (1932) tonight.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Currently on CARNIVAL OF SOULS (1962), like the music. Creepy.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:30 AM
I've done it before and will be doing it again. Glad to see other people are doing it, as well.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 AM
update of my list

1. 9th configuration
2. werewolf vs vampire woman
3. lucio fulci zombi
4. long weekend
5. body snatchers
6. she-beast
7. razorback
8. road games
9. the craft
10. shutter (2008)
11. candyman
12. lord of illusions
13. return of the living dead
14. magic
15. graveyard shift
16. 3 extremes
17. the convent
18. ginger snaps
19. cherry falls
20. kaidan yuki jorou
21. nightmares (stage fright)
22. the town that dreaded sundown
23. burial ground: the nights of terror
24. night train murders
Old 10-01-2012, 03:03 PM
IT HAS BEGUN!

I'll be posting my progress/impressions here. Hopefully I can hit 31 again this year.

#1) The Cabin in the Woods (2012) (Oct 1)

"This isn't right. We should split up."

I've had this Blu-ray sitting here, waiting to be watched... clawing to get out... but I was saving it for the start of my 31 days. Was it worth the wait? Did it live up to the hype? Yes and HELL YES.

I'm not going to get into details on the plot since it's one of those movies you should go into knowing nothing at all, and luckily aside from the trailer and other marketing materials giving away the basic setup - I was pretty unaware of what to expect. From the way the opening title was handled, I knew this was a movie for me and I had a stupid grin on my face all the way up to the ending.

If I were to complain about anything, it would be the CG shots. I'm not a fan of CG in horror movies unless it's used to accentuate or enhance practical effects so the few CG shots in this did bring me out of the movie a little. It's not really an issue with the film though, it's just me being anal. Also, while I'm a fan of the brisk runtime and think it works wonderfully, I really wonder how this would have played out if it had say, been a 6 episode-mini series on cable and had a little more room to expand on things.

Last year Basket Case was the most fun I'd had with my new viewings, this year it's going to be tough to beat Cabin in the Woods. I fear I may have already peaked and it's only the first day! I've pulled together some classics I haven't seen before so I'm sure I'll see some better all-around movies, but it's hard to imagine having more fun than I did with this.

HIGHLY recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. And if you haven't, do so before being spoiled.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:17 PM
The Week Before Halloween . . .

1) Final Destination 2 (2003) - on Encore. This movie kicks so much ass and is so much fun.

2) And Then There Were None (1945) - The first of many film adaptations of Agatha Christie's "Ten Little Indians" novel. I have enjoyed plenty older movies by now, and this one came with a strong reputation, but it just didn't do anything for me. It's not bad. Just average.

3) The Day the Earth Caught Fire (1961) - as covered at my Video Store. Similarly to "And Then There Were None," it was a little too dated for my taste, but has a cool "end of the world" premise going for it.

4) The Possession (2012) - Ever since "The Excorcism of Emily Rose" seven years ago, there has been an endless parade and resurrection/regurgitation of mediocre "Exorcist" knock-offs. Thanks a lot, Emily! This one, released in theaters over a month ago, is the only one I've bothered seeing and it was a good time. It has good actors in it who wouldn't settle for a lousy script to pay the bills - Kyra Sedgwick and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. It might have worked in my favor that I hadn't seen the other three dozen knock-offs to come before it, all looking so derivative of each other. This one did have its spooky moments and a good payoff.

5) the Legend of Hell House (1973) - as covered at my Video Store. Not a bad a haunted house movie, but fell a little short of my expectations.

These are before Halloween and don't count. They're warm-ups. I've been waiting to get a start on the "Children of the Corn" movies, and now I can. Halloween is now on and I may already have seven movies lined up for the first week.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 10-01-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 10:31 PM
I have my list ready and will be doing this. You can view the original post here: http://thetrendguys.com/2012/10/01/h...-of-halloween/

1. Halloween * Halloween 2 Halloween 3 * Halloween 4 Halloween 5 Halloween 6….or till our eyes bleed!
2. Its the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!
3. Trick ‘r Treat *
4. Simpsons: Tree House of Horrors XXIII 10/7/2012 (23 episodes pick a few)
5. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors
6. Sleepy Hollow
7. Alone in the Dark (1982)
8. The Addams Family
9. Magic (1978)
10. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003 remake) *
11. Pet Sematary 2
12. Coraline
13. Jeepers Creepers
14. Fright Night 2011 (we’ve never seen this)
15. Beetlejuice
16. Carrie
17. Zombieland
18. Hocus Pocus *
19. Phantasm
20. Feast
21. Cabin Fever
22. Monster House
23. Idle Hands *
24. Inside
25. The Haunted Mansion
26. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
27. Pans Labyrinth
28. The Exorcist
29. Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas
30. The Orphanage
31. Roseanne (Halloween Episodes): S2/E7 Boo!, S3/E7 Trick or Treat, S4/E6 Trick Me Up, Trick Me Down, S5/E7 Halloween IV, S6/E6 Halloween V, S7/E6 Skeleton In the Closet, S8/E5 Halloween The Final Chapter.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 PM
One day late in posting these, but I started my marathon.

The Ninth Configuration

I donno why I thought this was horror. Not exactly. More like a drama with some elements of thriller. It's ok.

6/10

Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell

Just like Matango, atmospheric on the surface, and dare I say deep, underneath? What surprised me is just how true it is to the modern day. Japanese loved their social commentaries didn't they.

8/10
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Started yesterday and here is what I watched so far.

#1 Halloween III: Season of the Witch

Seems like every time I watch this I appreciate it more and more. This one actually has some pretty brutal deaths in it. Even though Michael Meyers isn't in this story I still found it to be pretty damn entertaining and engaging. Also I love the fucked up ending. 8/10

#2 Event Horizon

I've always loved this one, a bit of sci-fi horror mixed with religion, along with a great cast and some cool images. 9/10

#3 Return of the Living Dead

It's been years since I seen any of the "Return" movies, even so I loved it just as much as I remembered. Definitely gives off the 80s horror vibe which I dig a lot so I can't wait to see the other entries. Braaaaaains! 8/10

Last edited by kru3ger; 10-03-2012 at 04:22 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 AM
1) Van Helsing
2) The Addams Family

not sure what I'll watch this evening...
Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 PM

#2) Piranha (1978) (Oct 2)

"People eat fish, Grogan. Fish don't eat people."

The first of my Seafood Double Feature, I decided to go with the original Piranha because I had never seen it and I really enjoyed Alexandre Aja's remake.

So what we have here is a pretty standard Jaws ripoff (obviously), which would have been fine, however... a red herring near the beginning
Spoiler:
(the little ghoulie looking thing in the military facility)
got my hopes up that this would be little closer to Dante's Gremlins, which only made the piranha attack sequences more disappointing.

Aside from that, this was one of the stronger Roger Corman produced films I've seen, but I think I'll stick with Humanoids from the Deep for my go-to sea creatures flick from Corman's library. This is one of the few examples where I feel the remake vastly improves upon the original.

And what the hell was up with the head camp counselor? Not only did he
Spoiler:
interrupt the skinny dipping just as it was about to begin, but he lived too? I thought they were supposed to kill off the a-holes in these kinds of movies. There is no justice!

#3) Piranha DD (2012) (Oct 3)

"Welcome to rock bottom."

Part 2 of my Seafood Double Feature. Boy, you know you watched a stinker when the best footage is outtakes and bloopers during the end credits. I really enjoyed Aja's Piranha remake and I LOVE Feast, so adding those guys to the mix sounded like a perfect idea to me.

Sadly, the movie just didn't go as far as I had hoped it would. Piranha DD delivers on what it promises (piranha carnage and boobs) but it doesn't get nearly as over the top as it should and the piranha attack sequences just don't come close to living up to the previous movie. The plot also does nothing new, it's your usual lead character knows there's something in the water and greedy businessmen don't believe them. Considering how insane Feast 2 and 3 got, I really wanted them to do something other than yet another Jaws movie. The setup for the sequel (yeah, wishful thinking guys...) should have been the direction this one took.

There's still fun to be had though. All returning characters scenes are very fun and the stunt casting of Gary Busey and David Hasselhoff turns out surprisingly well. There's way more of the Hoff than I had expected and I really enjoyed his stuff. Danielle Panabaker also turns in a solid performance for such a low brow movie and I'll never complain about the presence of Katrina Bowden.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Today marks day 3 and I'm four movies in. Will probably watch and review a movie from my Video Store tonight.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Hellbound: Hellraiser II

I'll admit, the only Hellraiser I've seen is the first, so I thought this month I just go through all of them. Really enjoyed this one, I don't know why I never watched any of the sequels before. What a mythology, so creepy and surreal. Reeks of atmosphere, these films were definitely ballsy back in the day.

8/10
Old 10-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Here is my list from yesterday

#4: American Werewolf in London

It's been years since I've seen this. I saw the Paris version plenty of times so I decided to go back to london, and I'm glad I did. The trasformation scene is just plain awesome and one of the best if not the best in any werewolf movie. Plus the ending while abrupt was pretty badass and different from most happy ending horror flicks. 8/10

#5: Chopping Mall

This movie was pure 80s awesome. A so bad it's awesome kind of movie. A mall uses a new hi-tech designed robots as security guards. The bots out of no where for no reason start killing everyone...Awesome 7/10

#5: Diary of the Dead

There were some good things about this movie, and some bad things. I've been avoiding watching this but I finally gave it a go. Nowhere near as fun as Land of the Dead but for the most part it was decent. 6/10
Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 PM
#4: Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth

7/10
Old 10-05-2012, 12:31 AM

#4) The Living Dead Girl (aka La morte vivante) (1982) (Oct 4)

"They should've known I'd always love you, even if you are different."

My only previous experience with director Jean Rollin was the abysmal Zombie Lake so I didn't know what to expect going into The Living Dead Girl. Luckily for me, the Living Dead Girl was much, much better.

While released in 1982, the Living Dead Girl still has that late 70s European films feel, similar to the low budget Italian zombie films of the time. It has that slow-burn, atmospheric pacing, intermittently spiced up with scenes of graphic violence that was common with those films.

Where it differs from those films though, is it's not your typical corpses rising from the grave film. It's more of a melodramatic tragedy (with heavy lesbian overtones) involving a re-animated woman and her bond with her childhood friend.

Overall, an enjoyable flick for those that don't mind the slow-burn feel. Once you get past the stupidity that a two-year old corpse hasn't decomposed at all and a few very poor gore effects at the start, that is.

Final Viewed List

Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 AM
Little Shop of Horrors
The Lost Boys
Addams Family Values
The Village
Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 PM
House [1986]

Like Return of The Living Dead , this movie features a good dose of humor but it's not nearly as gory like ROTLD.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
House [1986]

Like Return of The Living Dead , this movie features a good dose of humor but it's not nearly as gory like ROTLD.
That shit scared me when I first watched it as a kid, I rewatched it 2 years ago and obviously doesn't have the same effect, but still I can admire it, and it's pretty creepy at times. The Vietnam soldier makeup is fucked. up.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 PM
I guess there's no sense in reporting at the end of each week. From day 1 to day 5 . . .

1) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - Through convention Q & A's and now Doug Bradley's book, I have learned so much about Gunner Hanson's miserable experience on the set of the original "Chainsaw" flick. He didn't have to sit for hours for make-up, but it was hot and he felt alienated from the cast and crew. All that hell and work amounts to a classic.

2) Children of The Corn (1984) - For something based off a short story by Stephen King, this was a good try. They did what they could with a tight story. But it does feel drawn out and is below average, despite committed performances by the adult and child actors.

3) Bride of Frankenstein (1935) - It is a classic. It evolves the story, the monster speaks, and he comes to the realization that he and his bride are better off dead. Something that stuck out was the mini-people the other mad scientist created. Those were real actors shrunk down to size and this was 1935! I can't believe special effects could do that back then!

4) Children of The Corn II: The Final Sacrifice (1992) - The final sacrifice? This was just the beginning of Dimension's re-launched series! It has an equally poor reputation as the original movie, but I find it underrated. It has a nice, if predictable and cliched, story. It is also stupid fun and has a cool meanstreak.

5) Shock Waves (1976) - As covered at my Video Store. What is it about? Underwater Nazi zombies!

X) Beauty and The Beast (1946) - This is a French, live-action adaptation of the fairy tale and is very different from the Disney film. It's more of a light fantasy than a horror film. The beast is more romantic, self-pitying and sad than a monster who attacks others. There is no confrontation between him and the "evil prince," whose only beastly feature is wishing to steal the riches from the beast. The beast never attacks anybody, but is moody at times, and is sympathetic all the way. Remarkably, it does feature inanimate objects that live on in some magic form (just no talking, singing and dancing). It is a stunning version of the fairy tale.

So far, 5 for 5.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 10-05-2012 at 07:14 PM..
Old 10-06-2012, 12:57 AM

#5) Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980) (Oct 5)

"He's dead... he's meat... I will survive from him!"

Seriously, how cool is that poster? Crazy stuff.

So here's one from everyone's favorite Italian sleaze peddler, Joe D'Amato. I'm not sure if I've actually seen any of his work before and looking at his IMDb, it's 200 Italian titles and only a few appear to be horror flicks, so I probably haven't seen any.

Anyway, I've read that Anthropophagus (or Antropophagus as the movie's title card misspells it) was one of the most gory movies ever made so I decided to check it out. I must have gotten that confused with something else though because this sure isn't it.

While there's two really disturbing scenes, the first is ruined by an effect so poorly done/shot it isn't convincing at all, and it cuts away before fully getting to sicken the audience. The second gets the job done, but again is too brief to have the full impact it should in this type of exploitation cinema. The rest of the gore is your standard 70s-80s low budget schlock you'd expect from an Italian movie of this nature.

That aside, there isn't much else to the movie. The characters have no depth. Aside from one guy hitting on Tisa Farrow's character, another girl being jealous and one being pregnant, there's nothing to these paper thin characters. Hell, I couldn't even remember if one of them was killed off, or just stopped being in the movie until the end. The majority of the scares are very predictable, though to the movie's credit there are a few that worked really well. Music is a mixed bag. Some of it is awful and bizarre, some of it is actually really effective and reminded me of Coil's more experimental/dark material.

There's almost nothing to keep your attention in the first hour of the movie. I kept finding myself losing interest and getting distracted by other things because it was so dull. The last half hour picks up because they decided to shove everything into it, but man, that first hour... skip this one. It's too bad too, because all of the elements are in place for a pretty disgusting exploitation movie, they just forgot to exploit stuff.

But hey, at least the poster is cool.

Final Viewed List:

Old 10-06-2012, 02:31 PM
#6: Re-animator

This still remains one of my all time favorite horror films. A different take on the "living dead" genre. Tons of gore, great humor, and Jeffery Combs steals the show. 9/10
Old 10-06-2012, 06:58 PM
#5: Hellraiser IV: Bloodline

a bit of a stepdown, but not by much. The whole mythology gets confusing though.

6/10
Old 10-06-2012, 08:38 PM
#6: Survival of the Dead

George Romero directs a comedy.

3/10
Old 10-06-2012, 10:56 PM

#06) Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) (Oct 6) (rewatch)

"What are you going to do with those pies, boys?"

My first rewatch of the marathon. I had seen this on TV when I was a kid and liked it then but I think I enjoyed it even more now. I'm sure I had liked it then because of the premise, but the absurdity of the whole thing was probably lost on me as a youth. The ridiculousness of the dialogue is probably the best part. Every time someone says "cocoon" I start laughing, I have no idea why. It's just so silly and they're so into it.

This is one of those rare movies where everything about it, while not the greatest on its own, works perfectly in context with everything else. Highly recommended for fans of films like Night of the Creeps and Monster Squad.

I see there's a sequel in the works for next year as well, which may spawn into a trilogy of sequels (one per character from the original film) if the first does well. I don't know if they'll be able to recapture the magic in today's film climate, but it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

Final Viewed List:

#6) Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) (Oct 6) (rewatch)

Last edited by ThirstyFly; 10-10-2012 at 06:57 PM..
Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 AM
The title of this thread has gotten me to thinking.....
I really wish Halloween did last for 31 days.
I'd eat so much effin' candy, I bet I'd be that the fattest f#ck on this site.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
#5: Hellraiser IV: Bloodline

Is that the one where the whole space station transform into a cube ? I thought it was clever.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
Is that the one where the whole space station transform into a cube ? I thought it was clever.
Yes siree. I thought it was interesting. However, clearly the first and second films are the best so far, and try to stick to the mythology, with the third and now fourth, it seems like continuity doesn't matter. But maybe it's just me not truly understanding Cenobites and the whole damn mythos. The way I understood it, regular people who turn into Cenobites can't be turned in the real world, but they have to be in Cenobites' "Hell" for that. Third and fourth, it doesn't even matter - they just make them that way on earth. They're not even following the first two.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:43 PM
#7: Yokai Monsters: Spook Warfare

Trippy, and atmospheric. Just the way I love these films.

7/10
Old 10-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Wishmaster

Man, this shit horrified me the fuck out when I first saw it as a kid. Rewatching it, it's still pretty effective, not as scary, but well done!

7/10
Old 10-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Urban Legend

Love me some slasher

7/10
Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 PM
#8: Long Weekend

Hoooooly shit. Where the fuck did this come from? I loved the shit out of this. What a gem, beautifully photographed ozploitation flick with, what seems to be absolutely nothing earth-shattering happening, yet it manages to be intense and suspenseful throughout until the end through the use of sound and imagery. And underlying social commentary is nicely executed without being in your face and preachy.

10/10
Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 AM
Fun with Power Tools Double Feature!

For this double feature I decided to go with the two very different follow-ups to the two Texas Chainsaw Massacre series.

#07) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) (Oct 7) (rewatch)

"You got one choice, boy, sex or the saw. Sex is, well, nobody knows. But the saw, the saw is family!"

Ah, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2... for those who haven't seen it, TCM2 is one of those rare sequels that doesn't just attempt to rehash the original and tries something new. It goes for a more comedic, over-the-top feel and I think it works wonderfully. Every member of the family is memorable, Dennis Hopper is absolutely hilarious as the bible quoting Texas Marshall hunting them and Tom Savini brings his A-game with some seriously grotesque makeup effects.

I can see why purists of the original wouldn't care for it because it's such a different tone, but for me the movie is lots of fun and full of great dialogue. If I had to make a complaint, it would be that even though it's only 101 minutes, it feels a little long by the time you get to the dinner scene. They probably could have trimmed out 10 minutes or so.

Brazos, Dennis. Brazos.

#08) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006) (Oct 8) (rewatch)

"That's the ugliest thing I ever saw."

And then we have TCM: The Beginning, the prequel to the 2003 remake. While TMC2 '86 made no attempt to rehash the original, The Beginning dives right in to the rehash pool and swims around until it drowns.

Taken on its own, it's not really a bad movie. The editing is a little rough at times and the ending is kind of crap, but it has some nice performances, a great pair of jeans and more R. Lee Ermey, which is never a bad thing. Gore hounds should be a happy as well, out of the 6 movies in the franchise (not counting Texas Chainsaw 3D) it's probably the goriest and has by far the most on-screen chainsaw carnage (something oddly lacking in the others considering the title...).

Where it really falters though, is it just doesn't bring anything new to the dinner table. There's nothing really new added to the family aside from a little history since it's a prequel and the plot is really just a rehash of both TCM '74 and TCM '03. I suppose it's closer in tone to the original than '03 was, but there's still really no feel of its own and it comes off as a bit of a bore.

Final Viewed List:

#6) Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) (Oct 6) (rewatch)
#7) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) (Oct 7) (rewatch)
#8) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006) (Oct 8) (rewatch)

Last edited by ThirstyFly; 10-10-2012 at 06:56 PM..
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm not done revisiting the TCM series, ThirstyFly. I used to despise TCM 2, one of the worst movies ever. Re-evaluated it within a year ago and now have my peace with it. It's still not very good, though. It has some things going for it, but is all over the place and not in a good way.

I love "TCM: The Beginning." It is not the best TCM movie, but a very watchable one. Compared to how all over the map the three original sequels are, it is a solid entry. Sometimes, you want suspense with your chainsaw. And other times, you want to see what that chainsaw can actually do. And my gosh! The things it does in this movie! Will definitely be re-watching this and may re-watch "TCM 3," the best of the original sequels.

From day 6 to day 9 . . .

6) To All a Goodnight (1980) - as covered at my Video Store. An average Christmas slasher and the first one to feature a killer dressed in a Santa suit.

7) The Psychopath (1973) - Mr. Rabbey is the the star of a children's show. He is also a disturbed man-child and a serial killer of abusive parents. You know it's wrong, but you find yourself rooting for him. Even though it is PG and cut-and-dry, it does manage a a fun meanstreak. It is a weird movie and a little creepy at times.

8) A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985) - This was the first "Nightmare" movie I caught on TV as a child. It's opening sequence left quite an impression and it still does. It is also the strangest entry in the series and an extremely unconventional horror film period. On one hand, it has a strong feeling of dread and a Freddy who still took himself seriously. And on the other, I can understand why others dislike it.

9) The Phantom of the Opera (1925) - A silent, dated and very different film experience. I felt its age more than I did with "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" from 1923, but it is nonetheless a rewarding viewing.

10) Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest (1995) - Two brothers from the infamous town of Gatlin are taken in by a couple in the big city. The youngest brother is another possessed leader of the corn and forms a new cult out of the kids in school. The older brother is able to make friends with the other kids and has to stop his brother from starting a revolution. This is a very intentive and creative sequel, although very removed from Stephen King's original source material. Once again, we are presented with a fun meanstreak.

Refreshingly, there is a new movie in theaters to look forward to this week in the form "Sinister." Brrr! Definitely checking it out!

So far, 10 for 9.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 10-09-2012 at 09:49 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 AM
#9: Hellraiser: Inferno

The farther I go in the series, the farther the films distance themselves from Barker's mythology. Seemed more like a detective film in the vein of Se7en with only touches of the mythos as an excuse to make this part of the series. Feels like it'd be better off as a standalone film. By the end you wonder if you're watching Silent Hill, though it only bothers to tie itself into Hellraiser mythos in the last scene.

6/10

Last edited by Digifruitella; 10-10-2012 at 01:11 AM..
Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Nukem View Post
I'm not done revisiting the TCM series, ThirstyFly. I used to despise TCM 2, one of the worst movies ever. Re-evaluated it within a year ago and now have my peace with it. It's still not very good, though. It has some things going for it, but is all over the place and not in a good way.

I love "TCM: The Beginning." It is not the best TCM movie, but a very watchable one. Compared to how all over the map the three original sequels are, it is a solid entry. Sometimes, you want suspense with your chainsaw. And other times, you want to see what that chainsaw can actually do. And my gosh! The things it does in this movie! Will definitely be re-watching this and may re-watch "TCM 3," the best of the original sequels.
I'm kind of surprised to see you say TCM 2 is one of the worst movies out there. Like I said in my impressions I can see why purists of the original wouldn't care for it because of the tone, but wow, worst movie ever? Ouch.

TCM: TB is probably the best out of all of the sequels for me (after TCM 2), but that's not saying much. I did enjoy it during my first viewing when it originally hit DVD but this rewatch I was bored because it doesn't offer anything new to the series. It's well made enough though.

I never cared for TCM 3, but that's probably one I should rewatch since I've only seen it once. TCM 4 on the other hand, now there's a real piece of crap.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirstyFly View Post
I'm kind of surprised to see you say TCM 2 is one of the worst movies out there. Like I said in my impressions I can see why purists of the original wouldn't care for it because of the tone, but wow, worst movie ever? Ouch.

TCM: TB is probably the best out of all of the sequels for me (after TCM 2), but that's not saying much. I did enjoy it during my first viewing when it originally hit DVD but this rewatch I was bored because it doesn't offer anything new to the series. It's well made enough though.

I never cared for TCM 3, but that's probably one I should rewatch since I've only seen it once. TCM 4 on the other hand, now there's a real piece of crap.
I should probably be more specific. I used to consider TCM 2 one of the worst movies - * out of 4. I was younger when saw it on TV. Having given it a fair shot sometime last year and uncut, *1/2 or ** now. It has its problems, but is far from the worst movies list. Not all of Tobe Hooper's talent was wasted in that mess. But the funny tone doesn't help. I don't think going the funny route to avoid comparisons to the original's legacy was the right idea.

I found TCM 3 to be a decent movie even before getting its uncut DVD in 2003. Without question, it is best seen uncut. And there is definitely no need to re-evaluate TCM 4 to confirm that it is one of the worst movies.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:01 PM

#09) Motel Hell (1980) (Oct 9)

"No chemicals or preservatives, just 100% honest-to-goodness hickory smoked meat. And you get all this for just $2.95."

I've heard a lot of good things about this and have wanted to see if for a while so I decided to give it a go as a follow-up to my Texas Chainsaw Massacre revisits.

Motel Hell is pretty much a parody of both Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Psycho. Unfortunately, I felt it was neither funny enough to be a comedy or shocking enough to live up to the films if follows.

There's some things to like about it, Rory Calhoun and Nancy Parsons are great as the leads, Nina Axelrod is easy on the eyes as the love interest and there's some generally fun scenes, but it never takes anything far enough to really stand out. For a movie that's 101 minutes long, the hotel itself doesn't get fleshed out nearly enough and seems almost unnecessary to the plot.

Full disclosure, I think the crap DVD transfer really hurt my enjoyment of the film too. It's so dull and dark there's almost no clarity and it's hard to make out a lot of the nighttime scenes. Oddly enough, the trailer on the same disc is much brighter and colourful.

Here's some direct caps from the MGM Midnite Movies double feature DVD with Deranged. I've only adjusted size and converted to JPEG. No brightness or colour balance has been changed. I know it's also been released in a 3 movie set, but I don't know if that transfer is different. Awful quality on this one.

#10) Deranged (1974) (Oct 10)

"I'm just trying to show you I got talents, too."

And here's the first movie on my list to not involve people being eaten!

Anyway, Deranged is yet another movie based on the crimes of Ed Gein. Where this one differs is it's actually a lot closer to the actual events than the other movies inspired by Gein (renamed Ezra Cobb for the purposes of this movie), but still not close enough to be considered a true story.

I don't know if I'd go far enough to recommend this one, but it was decent. It's fairly dated and oddly told with a narrator literally stepping into the scenes to tell the story. There is a bit of a hump at the beginning of the movie thanks to some very goofy scenes with Ezra's mother and the narrator, but once you get past that it's pretty interesting.

Roberts Blossom's wide-eyed, rubber-faced performance as Ezra is weirdly captivating and really elevates this above being just a cheesy 70s movie. While Ezra does do some pretty nasty stuff, it never gets to the disgusting depth Gein's real crimes did and sadly the MGM DVD is censored, missing a scene where
Spoiler:
Ezra scoops out a corpse's brains with an ice cream scoop.

Final Viewed List:

#01) The Cabin in the Woods (2012) (Oct 1)
#02) Piranha (1978) (Oct 2)
#03) Piranha DD (2012) (Oct 3)
#04) The Living Dead Girl (aka La morte vivante) (1982) (Oct 4)
#05) Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980) (Oct 5)
Old 10-11-2012, 12:01 AM
#10: Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies

Lol. Horrible, but falls into the so bad it's good category. Obviously the first Wishmaster is the best. Some good moments here, but overall pretty bad. Funny shit though.

4/10

Last edited by Digifruitella; 10-13-2012 at 12:21 PM..
Old 10-13-2012, 02:37 AM

#11) The Burning (1981) (Oct 11)

"Man, this guy is burned so bad, he's cooked! A fucking Big Mac... overdone!"

I checked this one out because they covered it on this week's Arrow in the Head podcast and man, am I glad it was brought to my attention. I loved it!

Sure, it's a pretty blatant Friday the 13th ripoff, but it's by far better than the majority of Friday's sequels. I really enjoyed how it took its time setting up the camp and the characters before getting on with the slashin'. It actually felt like one of those goofy 80s teen comedies with the bad jokes and gratuitous nudity that I grew up on.

The characters were pretty fun too. Jason Alexander was good and it was hilarious seeing Fisher Stevens so young. Brian Backer was also good as the weird nerd without being too annoying and the token asshole was just the right level of asshole. The female cast was quite good too, they did a nice job of setting up their personalities besides being the usual T&A from these kinds of movies. Apparently Holly Hunter is even one of the campers (in her first film role), but I didn't notice her.

This is exactly the kind of pleasant surprise that makes doing this marathon worthwhile for me.

#12) Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) (Oct 12) (rewatch)

"What's the matter? Don't you have any Halloween spirit?" "No!"

I don't know what I can say about Halloween III that hasn't already been said. It doesn't fit into the franchise anywhere and the plot doesn't really make a lot of sense but man, is it a fun movie. It's so bizarre and unique.

Genre legend Tom "Thrill Me" Atkins is once again doing his thing, Dan "BEHAVE YOURSELVES!" O'Herlihy plays a great villain and Stacey Nelkin brings a nice level of innocence and fear to the flick.

And how about that ending? Hah!

Final Viewed List:

#01) The Cabin in the Woods (2012) (Oct 1)
#02) Piranha (1978) (Oct 2)
#03) Piranha DD (2012) (Oct 3)
#04) The Living Dead Girl (aka La morte vivante) (1982) (Oct 4)
#05) Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (1980) (Oct 5)
#11) The Burning (1981) (Oct 11)
#12) Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) (Oct 12)