Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Beating Games On Their Hardest Difficulty

Who else does this? I just started this not long ago. I started over in playing all the games I've already beaten and from now on, I beat games on only their hardest difficulty. (This only includes whatever the hardest mode is available right from the start, not counting games where you have to beat the game at least once before they will let you playing the hardest difficulty.) If the game has more than one character, I have to beat it with both (if the games are different depending on which character you play, otherwise I don't bother with it.) If there is more than one ending, I have to get the best ending. And absolutely no cheating.

So far, this is the list of games I've ran through:

Alone In The Dark 4: The New Nightmare (PS1)
Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout (Nes)
Clock Tower: The First Fear (Snes)
Clock Tower (PS1)
Clock Tower 2: The Struggle Within (PS1)
Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64/X-Box)
Contra (Nes)
Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1)
Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (PS1)
Crash Bandicoot - The Wrath Of Cortex (PS2)
Crash Bandicoot - Twinsanity (PS2)
Die Hard Trilogy 2: Viva Las Vegas (PS1)
Donkey Kong (Nes/Gameboy)
Donkey Kong Jr. (Nes)
Donkey Kong Country (Snes)
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (Snes)
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (Snes)
Double Dragon (Genesis)
Double Dragon 2: The Revenge (Nes)
Evil Dead: Hail To The King (PS1)
Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko (PS1)
Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)
Hitman: Silent Assassin (PS2)
Hitman: Contracts (PS2)
Hitman: Blood Money (PS2)
Medal Of Honor (PS1)
Medal Of Honor: Underground (PS1)
Medal Of Honor: Rising Sun (PS2)
Megaman (Nes/Gameboy)
Megaman 2 (Nes/Gameboy)
Megaman 3 (Nes/Gameboy)
Megaman 4 (Nes/Gameboy)
Megaman 5 (Nes/Gameboy)
Megaman 6 (Nes)
Megaman 7 (Snes)
Megaman 8 (PS1)
Megaman Legends (PS1)
Megaman Legends 2 (PS1)
Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PS1)
Resident Evil 2 (PS1)
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS1)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica (PS2)
Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
Silent Hill (PS1)
Splinter Cell (PS2)
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (PS2)
Super C (Nes)
Super Mario Bros. (Nes)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nes)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (Nes)
Super Mario Land (Gameboy)
Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins (Gameboy)
Super Mario World (Snes/Gameboy Advance)
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Snes)
Super Mario 64 (N64)
Super Mario Sunshine (Gamecube)
Syphon Filter (PS1)
Syphon Filter 2 (PS1)
Syphon Filter 3 (PS1)
Wolfenstein 3-D (Snes)
Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 AM
There are only a few i can think of:

Resident Evil 4 (PS2) - A buddy and i wrecked this game over a 2 month period. the only thing we didn't do were the shooting ranges cause i don't care about gettiung little figures. For Prof mode i played the first half the game and he ended up playing the sencond while spliting duties on the final boss fight. In Mercs i had lvls 1 and 3 and he had 2 and 4 to get 5 stars with all 5 characters, i thnk he beat me by 1 character lvl and our record score was something like 112k and you only needed 60k for 5 stars. Still have the memory card.

Capcom vs SNK2 (PS2) - got all the way to Ultimate Rugal and got stone walled. Spent more then an hour with a friend passing back and forth until one of us finally got him, i think it was him but i cant remember.

Goldeneye (N64) - Everything but Control. I hate Control

Starfox (N64) - One of those ones where the final boss fight isn't anywhere near as tough as he final planet that leads to the fight. The temple was crazy hard on the top difficulty.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 PM
All of the God of War games.
RE4, RE5

That's about it. I will only complete a game on the hardest difficulty if it yields rewards. Like trophys, extra content etc etc.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Fight Night Round 4- I beat Mike Tyson as Roy Jones on GOAT setting.

That's it.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
I have a hard time getting out of the first lvl i suck at the Ghosts & Goblins games
Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Ghosts N' Goblins (on Nes) might literally be the hardest game I've ever played. And it's not even that good of a game either.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:10 PM
I never play games on their hard setting, even the ones I really like. I just don't have the time or patience to care about that. And it never adds anything except arbitrary frustration to the game.

I almost always play on Normal or Easy (depending on the difficulty of the game I am playing, sometimes Easy really is obscenely easy, but sometimes it is still challenging (think Dragon Age: Origins))

And yes, I just put parenthesis inside parenthesis. That's just how I roll.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:16 PM
The first thing I do when starting a new game is make sure it's on the hardest available difficulty (fuck games that require you to complete it on easy/normal first), there's no challenge otherwise.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 PM
I generally play all games on normal; I guess I'm more laid back now. There are times when I play games on the hardest difficulty setting though. And usually they end up being games that are flat out insane and notorious for their difficulty. For example, I played through and beat Ninja Gaiden (original Xbox) on the hardest setting. And I've also beaten a few of the older Call of Duty games on veteran mode (haven't bothered playing the newer ones). Maybe it's nostalgia. I did grow up during the painfully hard NES and arcade games era.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm like jolanar.
I like games to entertain me, provide some challenge but not to the point of absolute frustration. I play in "normal" usually, but sometimes even play in easy mode.

After I beat NINJA GAIDEN on the Xbox in normal mode, I played the "hard" version for about a half hour and realized it was just the same damned game but with harder-to-kill baddies.... and I was a little frustration the FIRST time around so I said "fuck that".
Old 10-07-2012, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
And yes, I just put parenthesis inside parenthesis. That's just how I roll.
WE GOT A BAD-ASS OVER HERE !

hehe

personnaly .... althought i like the resident evil franchise to death , i never got a better note than D in any of the game. I just want to know the story , not waste 100s of hours to get a cool costume or access to a flamethrower weapon bonus.

I did play Diablo II on hell level but the rampant hacking when playing online multiplayer turned me off.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Games that I own and love, I play on their hardest setting on a second play through. I'm hesitant to play on the hardest setting initially because if I get stuck and it's not a game I really like, I might just quit. Also, when I rent and beat games, I never put it on its hardest difficulty, as that might prevent me from beating it before it's past due.