Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Halloween III's anthology concept any thoughts?

Who else likes the idea of turning the franchise into a big screen horror anthology about the title holiday every year?

I mean Michael's story was DONE WITH after Halloween 2 according to Carpenter as he had Laurie shoot both his eyes out then have Loomis commit suicide by blowing him with Michael up in the hospital then Michael was burned to a crisp to be sent to hell at the end of the film.

Carpenter had a unique and visionary idea to transform the franchise into a big screen horror anthology of different imaginative and unique Halloween themed horror stories with different baddies and different tales.

Unfortunately the slasher crazed audience just wanted more of the same shit thus Carpenter and co didn't tell anyone of this idea/plan not even in trailers and audiences were confused as the film bombed with the idea dead.

I would had loved to see this idea as we could have gotten fresh stories and not a bunch of remakes of the first classic.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Doesn't sound like a bad idea but Season Of The Witch was a terrible film, imo.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 PM
If Carpenter wanted to do an anthology series he shouldn't have had Halloween II continue Halloween. That gave the impression the Halloween movies were about Michael Myers. So yeah I understand that people were disappointed in Halloween III.

And there are still many Halloween themed horror movies, they just get their own name so they are fresh and original and aren't called Halloween 37: Night of the Demons part II
Old 10-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Instead of seeing the series become such a mess with one new start followed by disappointment and repeat, it would be cool to visit an alternate dimension and see how how the anthology route could have played out. I have no issues with "Halloween III: Season of The Witch." It has the feel and score of a John Carpenter movie and is a worthwhile Halloween-season-themed horror film.

My feeling is that John Carpenter was pressured into making "Halloween II" about Michael Myers again after his escape from the house. The original's ending with him walking away is so cool, but might not have been official enough for audiences to accept as closure for one story. So he went forward with it and didn't bother directing. He lets a crew member, Rick Rosenthal, direct. He did a good with it.

Finally, it is time to for "Halloween III" with a different story and he lets another crew member, Tommy Lee Wallace, direct it. Wallace didn't do a bad job at all. It was the marketing and Carpenter's quiet plan with the series' new direction that alienated fans and made them turn against the film. Although I'm sure there were fans back then who accepted the film for what it was and others who genuinely disliked for its own issues.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 10-05-2012 at 07:17 PM..
Old 10-06-2012, 12:49 PM
But what would the redeeming factor be of an anthology series about Halloween, when there are already a ton of standalone Halloween themed horror movies out there? What would make you look forward to the next installment if it has nothing to do with the predecessor?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 PM
The answer to that is, I don't know, because it didn't end up happening after all. If it was "Halloween" with the Michael Myers story ending ambiguosly, and followed by "Halloween II" with the Silver Shamrock story...it would have been way cool and more appropriate. However, "Halloween II," as is, is an acceptable sequel killing off Michael and Dr. Loomis. Onto H3 with the Silver Shamrock story.

What would we have looked forward to next? Hopefully a much better story to make up for the underrated Silver Shamrock story most people didn't enjoy. And more interesting Halloween-themed scary stories down the road. Sure, there are plenty of stand-alone Halloween-oriented horror films out there. To have had an official "Halloween" series with different scary stories to tell every other year might have been a fun idea. It might have been better than Michael looking good one Halloween and being embarrassed in the following season. But we'll never know. At least my mind would have been open to it.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 10-08-2012 at 07:58 PM..