Old 07-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Can't. Wait. Looks fantastic. Reportedly an HD trailer will be out online at 10am PST.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Trailer - Cloud Atlas - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1fo

This is the leaked trailer that was taken down last night - we should be getting the US trailer today
Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 AM
I have no idea what this is about besides having multiple stories somehow intertwined. Looks beautiful, no doubt, but can it deliver. I'm glad it's coming out in two months.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Well shit, looks like one hell of a mindfuck. Love, love, love the cast and the visuals look fantastic. Definitely on my radar.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Looks incredibly pretentious.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Looks incredibly pretentious.
It's interesting cause I don't remember the draft of the script that I read going into such detail as far as the connections from one story to another, as well as the more philosophical dialogue in this trailer. It had its share, but some stuff has definitely changed since the version I read, which was most likely an early draft considering its length. I recognize some of the back and forth dialogue from the script but it seems like they've wanted to make the thematic parallels between the different pieces more obvious.

That said, I think this trailer really has a tough job selling the movie and it makes sense to play up all the connectivity talk and bits because it's the only thing that ties everything together enough to showcase each segment as far as a trailer can go. If the core of the script I read remains intact, I think it won't seem as pretentious as you felt that trailer was. They're pretty straightforward genre stories with complete arcs of their own - the connections and parallels between the stories are definitely a big point but each story functions on its own as a complete piece without going into abstract philosophical territory - though ultimately, that territory is the whole point. But it's probably pretty difficult to sell all six stories within the timeframe of a trailer and make it all feel like a cohesive whole, so it makes sense that they would play up the themes rather than the stories.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 07-26-2012 at 12:41 PM..
Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 PM
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/cloudatlas

Also some director's commentary has been posted there as well...
Old 07-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Jesus Christ....that trailer. Mind blowingly ambitious it seems, I am definitely intrigued. I truly hope they don't go the Matrix route of incomprehensible and find a way to flesh all of this seemingly unendingly complex story out in a way that the average movie goer can enjoy.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:33 PM
This is probably the best book of the 21st Century thus far. Incredibly entertaining and well-written. Do yourself a favour and read it before the film comes out. There is no way to properly transform this book into a film, so you should be able to enjoy both as their own pieces.

Can't wait.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishop View Post
This is probably the best book of the 21st Century thus far. Incredibly entertaining and well-written. Do yourself a favour and read it before the film comes out. There is no way to properly transform this book into a film, so you should be able to enjoy both as their own pieces.

Can't wait.
Indeed. The book is fantastic and seemingly unfilmable, but this trailer certainly looks gorgeous and ambitious.

I never understand the use of the word pretentious as a pejorative, but that's just me I guess. Give me ambition and show off all you want.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:37 PM

I am not a fan of the Wachowski's, but this looks amazing. Looks too epic to fit into a 2 hour movie. I really hope that they pulled it off because now I'm excited as hell for this movie.

Plus, it kind of reminds me how much I miss seeing Tom Hanks in movies.

Also, I thought the whole Lana Wachowski was a debunked rumor.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:47 PM
I believe the official running time is 3 hours? It better be, because with all of THAT going on in the trailer, to cram it into 2 hours would certainly spell out: mess.

Don't know about you guys who've read the book, but that trailer completely SOLD me. I haven't been a fan of Tom Hanks for some time now, but I found myself rooting for him in that trailer and I have no idea who his character is! (That's when you know the role is perfect for Tom Hanks)

Loved the ambition, loved the back-and-forth of everything, I absolutely love interconnected and interwoven multi-character storylines so this sounds right up my alley. Oh and if the story turns out to be half-assed, at least we all know that it will be a visual orgasm.

I'm super excited for this movie now. If I make it to TIFF I'm definitely doing everything in my power to watch this one.

WOW.

Oh and M83 at the end? Perfection.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Mind bending trailer. M83 makes everything better.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm hoping this doesn't end up like another Sucker Punch.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
I'm hoping this doesn't end up like another Sucker Punch.
I don't think you have anything to worry about in that regard (for the record, I absolutely despise Sucker Punch). Actually, after watching the trailer, I realized the movie the script reminds me the most of is Jean-Marc Vallee's Cafe de Flore, albeit a much more expansive version of the same idea.

Also, yes, M83 does make everything better. I will be seeing him in concert with Justice next Saturday so I'm pumped .
Old 07-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Hmmm looks like it could be a mess or an instant classic. Either way I wanna see it.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
Also, yes, M83 does make everything better. I will be seeing him in concert with Justice next Saturday so I'm pumped .
Oddly enough I will be seeing Justice next Friday and M83 next Sunday.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
Oddly enough I will be seeing Justice next Friday and M83 next Sunday.
(Offtopic)
Spoiler:
Nice, I assume you're doing Osheaga then. We were thinking of doing Osheaga but then my buddy bought tickets to the Toronto Sigur Ros concert so we just decided to see Sigur Ros there on Wednesday and Justice/M83 on Saturday. Really, I think we should've all just went to Osheaga in the end but oh well.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
Also, I thought the whole Lana Wachowski was a debunked rumor.
Me too. Well, now we know. Kinda surprised they even did that little intro as they are notoriously reclusive.

As for the movie. It looks like it could be a potentially epic train wreck, like the worst parts of The Matrix 2/3 with the worst parts of The Princess and the Warrior meets Southland Tales meets Sucker Punch meets The Tree of Life...

That said, it certainly does look unique, and I'll give it a chance, hoping for the best.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 PM
I had no idea the trailer came out until now, but I will definitely see this in theaters. I admire the ambition behind the project, and I recently just saw the Matrix again reminding me that when the Wachowskis have the right project, they can do wonders.

The one film that I kept thinking this reminds me of in terms of the scope and connecting the stories across different generations is D.W. Griffith's Intolerance. I hope Twyker and the Wachowskis pull it off.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
The one film that I kept thinking this reminds me of in terms of the scope and connecting the stories across different generations is D.W. Griffith's Intolerance.
I agree, I was thinking the same. Intolerance is every bit as epic in scope and it works, so we know it can be done. Plus, unlike Intolerance, Cloud Atlas isn't a pandering apology for creating THE single most racist & intolerant film out there.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
I agree, I was thinking the same. Intolerance is every bit as epic in scope and it works, so we know it can be done. Plus, unlike Intolerance, Cloud Atlas isn't a pandering apology for creating THE single most racist & intolerant film out there.
That, and it most likely won't be eight hours long.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:27 PM
For anyone interested, here's an excellent read about the Wachowskis. This is the first time they've done press, so read on!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/the...orker-profile/
Old 09-04-2012, 03:57 AM
Very cool find, Digi! I really enjoyed the article. It's gotten me even more pumped to see the film. I've actually been rewatching their films lately, and finding how much I enjoy them. I just have to give Speed Racer another go, but the Matrix trilogy has held up incredibly well over the years. I'd say it's easily my favorite of all the trilogies we've gotten in the last decade.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:05 AM
IMO, Speed Racer is the most underrated movie of the last 12 years. I truly love it. It's actually my favorite movie of their's even more so than The Matrix and Bound.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
IMO, Speed Racer is the most underrated movie of the last 12 years. I truly love it. It's actually my favorite movie of their's even more so than The Matrix and Bound.
That's cool. I can't wait to see it now. My first viewing was impaired by a giant spider that was crawling out of the movie screen singing "Hello, My Baby." The last thought I had about Speed Racer was that it was the most terrifying film I'd ever seen.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Haha. I wouldn't take my word for it though as I'm in the minority in loving it. Most people consider it the worst movie from the Wachowski's. I mean, a part of me understands as the movie is unabashedly sentimental and corny. A lot of people found the little brother and monkey to be irritating. I can understand that even though I don't agree with it. It's definitely a corny movie, but the movie touched me since it was all about family. It has a LOT of heart. It was about this family vs this evil corporation. And I loved the story surrounding the Racer X character. I'm a huge fan of Matthew Fox and thought he was great as Racer X. Also, Emile Hirsch is probably one of my favorite actors under 30. Loved him in The Girl Next Door and Into the Wild (in which he should have gotten an academy award nomination IMO) and he's great here too. And of course visually, it was unlike anything I had ever seen before.

But again, most people hated the movie and I'm very much in the minority. It is, though, a movie I liked when I first saw it, and has only grown on me the more I've seen it. It's now among my favorites.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Great article Digi. Thanks for the link. The passion they have for this project only has me salivating even more. The bit about Hanks' character is especially interesting because that's something that you can't grasp immediately from the script (where there's no indication of which actor is playing which roles).
Old 09-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:
It saddens me this movie was made before the IMAX 3D movement...this would have owned in 3D...
Old 09-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Haha. I wouldn't take my word for it though as I'm in the minority in loving it. Most people consider it the worst movie from the Wachowski's. I mean, a part of me understands as the movie is unabashedly sentimental and corny. A lot of people found the little brother and monkey to be irritating. I can understand that even though I don't agree with it. It's definitely a corny movie, but the movie touched me since it was all about family. It has a LOT of heart. It was about this family vs this evil corporation. And I loved the story surrounding the Racer X character. I'm a huge fan of Matthew Fox and thought he was great as Racer X. Also, Emile Hirsch is probably one of my favorite actors under 30. Loved him in The Girl Next Door and Into the Wild (in which he should have gotten an academy award nomination IMO) and he's great here too. And of course visually, it was unlike anything I had ever seen before.

But again, most people hated the movie and I'm very much in the minority. It is, though, a movie I liked when I first saw it, and has only grown on me the more I've seen it. It's now among my favorites.
Thanks for the encouragement man. I just saw Speed Racer and thoroughly enjoyed it! I thought it was a solid family film, and also really enjoyed its themes and overall story since I come from a pretty tight family. The visuals were also a treat. It felt like a live action cartoon, which I really dug. I also liked that they embraced that aspect without being ironic, which most remakes or TV show adaptations have done this decade. I'd say it would make for a great double feature alongside Kung-Fu Hustle, which also completely embraced the corny side of cartoons and pulled it off in spades. I enjoyed that the CGI didn't look real and wasn't trying to. It enhanced the style of the film. I also liked how the races weren't just races, but we'd get scenes within the minds of the characters. It's also nice to see a family film have an anti-conglomerate/corporation theme. You don't see that much in films targeted for kids, and it tied in nicely with the story of the family trying to stay together. The film was eye candy with principles.

Not to mention, I used to love the cartoon as a kid, so it was nice to see the Wachowskis put their own spin on the Speed Racer world. They've very good at creating universes within their stories.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Brand new theatrical trailer And this one isn't 40 minutes long!

http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1WV

Thoughts?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Nice....I prefer the 5 minute trailer though.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Looks good. But yeah, that five minute trailer was staggeringly beautiful, I thought.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 PM
The new trailer is a hacked up mess of the first trailer. It's clear they took pieces of the original trailer with a few new connective shots and lines and tried to maintain the tone of it but it probably would've been better if they just tried to cut a completely new trailer to fit in the 2min30sec mark.

Unfortunate since this is the one that'll go out to theatres and that most people will see...
Old 09-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Yeah, if all I had to go by was this new trailer than I wouldn't be excited for this movie at all. Good thing the five minute trailer already sold me.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I think the Wachowski's and Tom Tykwer had the right idea with releasing the 5-minute trailer first. This is not a movie that can be easily sold, period, let alone in a short two minute trailer. I was half-hoping they would show the longer cut in theaters as well, but I guess it's just too damn long...
Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 PM

They played the trailer before Looper and when it ended some dude in the crowd said "WTF did I just watch" and most of the audience laughed.

Honestly the more footage I see from this, the more intrigued I am

Without question, I'll smoke a bunch of ganja before viewing it. That goes without saying.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 PM
The reviews are crazy divisive. Ranging all over the spectrum from one of the best movies ever to biggest disaster ever and all the mixed reactions in between. From the TIFF thread, someguy saw it and seemed to enjoy it overall, while abishop was positive but closer to mixed.

One of my buddies also saw it. Of my three former roommates, he's the one who we all thought had the greatest chance of hating it. He's generally all about grittiness and realism in his films (favourite show is The Wire, loves documentaries and character stories and isn't so down with anything too fantastical) and I figured at best, he would mildly enjoy it.

Well here are his three tweets from after he saw it:

wow I need a moment to gather myself after CLOUD ATLAS. This is one of the best movies I've ever seen. #tiff #nobullshit

"Cloud Atlas" 10/10 This is why I watch movies. It transcends/transforms in a way so unique to film as a medium. This is a masterpiece #TIFF

I can't shake Cloud Atlas. It may be the ultimate humanist film. I feel brighter about the future of human existence. #tiff

http://twitter.com/simoncharette

He also called me up to rave about it and said he felt like it actually spoke to him directly at this point in his life. And while it certainly has its share of negative reactions, I've read more than a few of the wildly positive reviews that have considered the movie to have that effect. And any movie that can have that effect on some people has to be at least worth a watch.

Anyway, that has me all the more hopeful and excited that this will be something special.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 PM
BUMP!

Linked below to an AMAZING interview with the Wachowskis and Tykwer about Cloud Atlas conducted a day after the world premiere at TIFF. One of the most passionate, in-depth interviews with filmmakers I've read in forever and gets right into the details of the movie's construction, layers and choices made from script to casting to editing. The press these guys have done in the past few weeks has been some of the most interesting stuff I've read in general from filmmakers and this is the best and by far the most in-depth of the bunch.

Absolutely worth reading especially if you have interest in "cinema's potential as it relates to art" but beware of some relatively meaty spoilers (I'll repost in the Cloud Atlas Current Movies Talk thread when it opens).

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-capture...er-ascending/1