Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Assault on Precinct 13 (2005)

The first Carpenter remake released in 05, the year of the Carpenter remakes. Amazingly this isn't a shot for shot remake but actually a reasonable attempt at something slightly different. Must give kudos to the script writer/s for trying a new angle with the plot to add a touch of originality.

Its pretty much the same type of film as before accept this time the cops and crooks holed up within Precinct 13 are against crooked cops who want one of the convicts inside dead. Nice twist.

You don't really expect that to be honest, I just expected the same old thing with a load of gang thugs but this adds a new dimension. The fact its a whole team of crooked cops led by the nasty Byrne is really good. Bryne merely stands around and sneers a lot ordering his men to do stuff, but his presence really boosts the bad guys, faceless no more.

The good guys are now of course a group of big names but the choices are OK. Hawke is the Sgt in charge of the station and Dennehy is the cliched fat old moustached vet cop, whilst Fishburne leads the bad guys with Leguizamo doing another good twitchy gun nut.

On one hand this is a fun film, plenty of decent action, pretty violent, good visuals and good performances from the main leads. On the other hand it does get silly in places, very predictable of course and feels like they are trying too hard. I did wonder if they were having a swearing competition throughout, how many times can you say 'f**k'!?, as if that will make the film better saying it a hundred times.

The main issue is the simple plot point of a small group of convicts and beat cops up against a crack team of elite cops. Not just dumbass thugs but fully suited special ops type guys, yet they can't seem to crack this band of misfits, all of them end up getting killed! so much for elite cops huh.

This is a fairly decent action romp I can't deny, stupid in places and with a slightly lame finale but its fun to watch. A slightly different beast to the original which is good but at the same time you lose the mystery and suspense of the original. The unknown lurking shadows in the bushes of the originals bad guys.

There is a lot of stuff which has been tossed in here to flesh the whole thing out a bit more. Trying to make the film feel more of a serious Hollywood action thriller but its all pointless and not required, the beginning sequence especially. Think of this as a venture into 'Die Hard 2' territory, snow included.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - 7/10

It struck me as a convoluted mess to start. I didn't have the foggiest what was going on for a good duration of the film. I think you may have to be a member of the Circus to be in on it. I played a game called 'spotting the orange object in each shot', which kept me glued to the screen. That and Gary Oldman's suits. I did admire the camera-work and the entire casts performance, but struggled with the scope of the story. However, I'm quite keen to return to it soon.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Lost Junction (6/10)
Anyone seen this? It's a low-budget, straight-to-DVD road thriller with Neve Campbell. She's great in it. The movie features some clever black comedy, and is very effective in general for the first half as you try to piece the plot together and figure out Missy's motives. However, there's a couple of cheap-looking flashbacks filmed through an ugly blue filter (would've been better off to go with black-and-white). The third act is, all in all, a bit underwhelming - especially the resolution of the killer. Billy Burke isn't convincing 100% of the time, though he does work up a nice chemistry with Campbell, but flaws and all, this surpassed my expectations. If you're a fan of Neve I'd check it out, it's a particularly interesting role for her.

Green Lantern (6/10)
I don't understand why everyone thinks this is so terrible. It was enjoyable enough, even though it didn't offer much new to the superhero genre. My main problem was that some of the special effects were just overkill, and the main villain was totally lacking in personality. The way it was defeated was a letdown - one big punch, really? I would've rather seen a face-off with Peter Sarsgaard's more interesting character. Overall though, not as bad as the scathing reviews would have you expect.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Frankenweenie(2012)-7/10
Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Soul Survivors - What a piece of crap. The lead actress was terrible and the ending was ridiculous. The only people that weren't completely terrible were Wes Bentley and Eliza Dushku and they weren't exactly giving the performances of their careers either. 2/10

The Witches of Eastwick - This was a fun movie. Hardly a classic but there were some enjoyable scenes. Jack Nicholson got to act crazy which is always fun. The final showdown was a little overdone however. 6/10
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Some thrilling high-seas adventure, Russell Crowe in a commanding performance as the ship’s captain you could easily see yourself following into the abyss if he asked, and some truly striking seafaring cinematography by director Peter Weir and his team of visual aces. The downside? The film really does capture the essence of a 19th Century voyage – that is, it’s occasionally exciting but mostly filled with uneventful anticipation of the chase at hand. That chase being a sort of Moby Dick tale of obsession with a similar oceanic twist, only minus the white whale and plus the bigger, faster Napoleonic frigate that Crowe’s Captain Jack Aubrey is determined to make his plundered bitch. In the end it’s a sweeping tale of grand ideas that has a lot of good things going for it, such as Aubrey’s playfully combative friendship with the ship’s doctor played by Paul Bettany, not to mention the final battle sequence that brought all filmmaking weapons to bear out of Weir’s arsenal. But it’s also laden with a lot of subplots and melodrama that bloats the running time more than was necessary, with a lot of repetitive scenes of the crew bonding and/or bickering between battles.

-> 7/10
Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 PM

8.5/10 and what i think is one of the best horror sequels ever
Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 AM

7/10
Old 10-12-2012, 01:56 AM

The Raven(1963)-7/10
Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 AM

8/10
Old 10-12-2012, 04:38 AM
Been to the flicks quite a bit with my kid,

Paranorman - 8/10
Frankenweenie - 6/10
Hotel Transylvania - 5/10
Old 10-12-2012, 04:38 AM

7/10
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 AM
One in the Chamber - ***

Surprisingly extremely well made for a movie that was made for a meager 6 mil. Looks like it cost at least 3x the amount. Cuba is solid, as is the drop dead gorgeous main girl. And Dolph is quite fun to watch although, despite having 2nd billing, he's more of a supporting character and truth be told, his character was rather extraneous. A good, solid action flick.

Taken 2 - ** 1/2

Delivers what you expect. Nothing more, nothing less. Enjoyable but forgettable.

End of Watch - ** 1/2

Disappointing. Shot from the camera's POV and it got in my way of being able to enjoy the movie for the first two thirds. Climax is good though. Good chemistry between leads but the bad guys, the Mexican drug cartel people, are wildly cartoonish caricatures. They were quite annoying.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:47 AM
watched the following this morning

8/10

#38 first time viewing

8/10

8/10
Old 10-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Safety Not Guaranteed (8/10)
Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 PM
A Better Life - That was a pretty intense and wonderfully acted drama. Demian Bichir was great in the lead role as a father trying to make sure his son succeeds in life while barely being able to provide for him. 8/10

Contraband - A pretty decent crime thriller. I especially liked Giovanni Ribisi playing a badass gangster. One problem I had though is
Spoiler:
I doubt Kate Beckinsale could have survived being tossed in a bag and buried in cement.
6/10
Old 10-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Margaret (9/10)
Old 10-12-2012, 09:55 PM
There Will Be Blood - Amazing piece of cinema. Saying that Daniel Day-Lewis is phenomenal in this film would be an understatement. About as perfect as a performance as you can get--What he did on screen was truly a work of art. I can't go without mentioning Paul Dano. Thinking back to when I saw him in The Girl Next Door, I never would have thought he'd be cast in such a roll that would allow him to showcase this type of acting ability, and it was such a stellar performance. The cinematography is beautiful, you really feel the camera telling the story and it's paired so nicely with the performances. Such a spectacular journey into one man's decent into madness.

I can't go without saying that I love films where the story doesn't truly resonate until the final scene. I understood what was going on in the film the entire time, but it doesn't truly sink in until the credits roll. Truly a brilliant film.

9.5/10
Old 10-12-2012, 11:06 PM

7/10
Old 10-13-2012, 12:30 AM
The Man from Nowhere - Let me start off by saying that this Korean action thriller is like Taken, on steroids. I might even go as far to say it's Léon: The Professional meets Taken. At any rate, it's a fantastic film about a pawnshop keeper with a mysterious and extremely violent past who is up against a drug/organ trafficking organization. He's thrown into the mix after a little girl who befriends him is kidnapped. Cha Tae-sik, the main character, was developed wonderfully for an action film. After learning about his past, and just watching his sheer determination to find the only person in his life that even remotely cares about him, you truly become attached to Tae-sik. The action is probably this films most dominating aspect. The high-octane choreography is spectacular, and just plain brutal. Forget Liam Neeson's throat chops, this film brought knives!

8/10
Old 10-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Sinister - 5/10

being startled does not equal being scared
Old 10-13-2012, 02:12 AM

The Masque of the Red Death(1964)-8/10
Old 10-13-2012, 02:13 AM
Videodrome

First viewing. 7.5/10

Sinister

6.5/10
Old 10-13-2012, 03:50 AM
The Intouchables (9/10)
Old 10-13-2012, 05:08 AM
Tape - ***

Starts off rather iffy, but gets more and more compelling as it goes along. Excellent performances from Hawke, Leonard and Thurman. Dialogue in the beginning of the movie is so-so, but like the movie itself, it gets much better as it goes along. The movie really picks up when the start talking about whether what happened between Leonard and Thurman some night 10 years ago to be rape or not.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:44 AM
The Seamstress- 5.5/10
Old 10-13-2012, 11:34 AM
The Factory - 6/10
ReGeneration - 6/10
Old 10-13-2012, 05:31 PM

8/10
Old 10-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Searching for Sugar Man (9/10)
Old 10-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Safety Not Guaranteed - This turned out to be a sweet story with two people who aren't quite normal finding each other. The guy was pretty paranoid as well as crazy since he was trying to go back in time and put out an ad looking for a partner while trying to evade the authorities but it was still a fun story. The very end was a bit of a surprise when
Spoiler:
it appeared that he actually built a time machine that worked.
7/10

Moonrise Kingdom - Another quirky story form Wes Anderson. The two kids were actually pretty good and there were some fine actors in supporting roles. 7/10

Seeking a Friend For the End of the World - Other than the somewhat disappointing ending I enjoyed this film too. I'm generally not a fan of Steve Carell but he did a solid job here. 6/10
Old 10-14-2012, 12:06 AM

9/10
Old 10-14-2012, 12:16 AM

Goon(2011)-7/10
Old 10-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Nightbreed (1990)

Cool film title, much better than the original novel title of 'Cabal', guess Morgan Creek was right on that little change. Unfortunately this film was one of those productions that suffered from heavy interference from the studio and thusly ended up being nothing like it was intended.

I can't even place what 'Nightbreed' is suppose to be really, a kind of horror, thriller, fantasy or translation...'Beetlejuice' with blood. Yes it is! this film is basically a grown up nasty version of 'Beetlejuice' with Danny Elfman doing the score even!.

The plot makes no sense whatsoever frankly, no real point behind it, no real motivations, explanations or reasons. Basically a diverse race of monsters that live below an ancient graveyard called 'Nightbreed'. Some young guy wants to join them and errr ends up helping them fight against the nasty humans that wanna destroy the city of 'Midian', the city of monsters.

Read between the lines there...the plot is saying we the regular folk are the real monsters, not the actual monsters. Not exactly an original concept huh.

This film is really quite odd. Chock full of bizarre creatures of the night, most of which look utterly stupid and not a tall scary. The effects are of course dated but makeup and prosthetic work is in good form with heavy hands on work, plenty of blood and some interesting gore, no CGI here folks. The problem being that most of the creature ideas are pretty daft looking, like a collection of cartoon characters. For example there is a female creature that seems to be a humanoid porcupine? eh?? and a male humanoid with a head shaped like the crescent moon for some reason.

Casting is just as unique to be truthful. Oddball character actor and usual badguy Craig Sheffer is the young hero here, he fits the bill perfectly really with his strange features. In for the ride is Cronenberg as a psycho trying to destroy the 'Nightbreed' race. Again he fits this film perfectly as the guy himself is pretty eerie and odd with his calm pleasant unsuspecting manner. Its his eyes that do it.

The film is known as a huge cult and you can see why. Clearly a lot of work was put in with monster designs, sets, makeup and matte work but the whole thing is just so damn surreal and without real reason that you lose interest. The monsters aren't scary and neither is the attempted creepy location/set work and atmosphere, but you do get the odd moment of nasty gore, so where do you stand?.

The wonderful familiar musical score from Elfman lures you into thinking your watching a fantasy film for teens, something like 'Legend' mixed with 'Batman Returns' with the weird undead creatures from 'Beetlejuice'. Some lovely visuals throughout and some terrific imagination but its all wasted on a poor plot and overall badly edited film.

You get the feeling this really could/should of been a classic epic horror fantasy, the foundations are there but it just hasn't been constructed correctly.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 AM
Safety Not Guaranteed - 6.5/10

Keep The Lights On - 7/10
Old 10-14-2012, 02:28 AM
They Live (1988)

probably one of the most overlooked and underrated films by Carpenter yet possibly his most clever. All his own work and a quite beautiful look at how paranoia and fear within an ever decreasing economy can be exploited for a good story.

Now I'm not saying all Americans are suspicious conspiracy theory doom mongers but this film exposes that ever present trait whilst also scratching at the notion of constant gross consumer consumption, greed and subversive subliminal messages touching on hypnosis and domination.

To be honest the whole idea just shows how some Americans (including Carpenter) think most of the time, always looking over their shoulder and suspicious.

As for the film its a romp that just keeps going and you wanna know how it ends. The start is slow and dull, it takes time to get going but once 'Nada' finds the sunglasses of truth things get really interesting in a good way. I love how Carpenter made this film, its dated but still looks great as it has that nice B-movie look which is mainly down to the budget. Think of it as an unintentional result that happens to fit the whole films concept perfectly. Classic 50's alien B-movie fluff enhanced with time.

The whole idea is really very clever and imagined so well. We see the alien corrupted world controlling the now unaware obedient humans in their daily lives through the black and white shades 'Nada' finds. Without the shades the world appears normal, an illusion created to blinker or fog human eyes.

The aliens only appear when the shades are on and boy do they look creepy. Even though its obviously a simple mask the makeup and design is superbly created and really gives an eerie effect.

I have always been surprised with the great performance by Piper also. The guy was a WWF wrestler at the time for gods sake yet his acting here is great, just perfect. He really carries off the suspicion and awakening of the story to a tee. As for his character of 'Nada'...all I can say is the guy certainly has an element of 'Jack Burton' if you ask me.

'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum'

I also like how this film isn't predictable. It keeps you guessing and your never sure how it will end or who will survive.

The subtle political jabs, crazy ass humour and out n out action is a curious blend but like Carpenter's 86 film 'Big Trouble in Little China' he manages to pull it off with ease and create another cult on his filmography. A great comicbook tale of mindless media/advertising supremacy on an Orwellian alien monitored Earth.

'Brother, life's a bitch... and she's back in heat'
Old 10-14-2012, 02:58 AM

Rosemary's Baby(1968)-8/10
Old 10-14-2012, 03:47 AM
The Lodger - 7.5/10

Chawz - 8/10

Jim Norton: Please Be Offended - 8.5/10
Old 10-14-2012, 05:22 AM
Rewatches:

Dracula 2000 - ** 1/2

Enjoyable in a guilty pleasure kind of way. I was surprised by how many good actors are in this. Even in minor roles like Nathan Fillion playing a priest briefly.

Scream 2 - ***

Based on his work here, I never would have thought that Timothy Olyphant would become such a badass that he has become on Justified.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 10-14-2012 at 09:01 AM..
Old 10-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
Been to the flicks quite a bit with my kid,
Where have you been hiding, BCV? I don't see you post half as much (creepy).
Old 10-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - 7.5/10

- Although I felt like it was a perfectly fine and even pretty fun popcorn flick with a few things going for it, it was pretty much just a big budget bore.

Equinox - 6/10

-WTF was that? Weird and pretty badly funny at times but at least it was competently shot and the premise was promising. Weird shit though.

Last edited by UseYourIllusion; 10-14-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Closed Thread