Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by labialover View Post
I don't think Gio has a chance at winning the Cy. Dickey, Cueto, and Kershaw. Possibly the reliever from the Braves. Seems like Posey has the MVP locked up, Harper or Miley for ROY, and Davey Johnson as Manager.

AL Cy, Price or Verlander. Manager, Showalter. ROY is obvious. MVP, still havent the slightest clue, both men are having historic seasons.
Cueto doesnt K enough guys compared to the rest and reading now that Dickey pitched pretty much all of the season with a torn abdominal muscle makes what he did even more remarkable

I think AL MVP Miguel Cabrera has possibly taken the lead part to possibly winning the triple crown but probably more due to the Tigers are making the playoffs and the Angels arent.

All things considered Angels by far most disappointing team of the year with the Marlins a close 2nd
Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorfreak13 View Post
All things considered Angels by far most disappointing team of the year with the Marlins a close 2nd
My Phillies gotta be in that discussion as well
Old 10-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
maybe but the phillies made it interesting in the end and at least tried all the free agent signings the Marlins made and they werent even close to the playoff and the Angels spent ridiculous amount of money signing Pujols and CJ Wilson and were most people's popular pick to win the world series or at least go there
Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 PM
True that....I'm just very sad at our playoff run ending this season...even if we did give it a great run at the end. We'll be back next year!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
Not in my opinion. We all knew the Phils would be hurting in the first half missing the right side of the infield. I thought last year was to be their best shot at a World Series.

Lee and Roy are older now and this is not the 90's and 00's. Both are on the down side of career.

They just overpaid for a guy who won his career high of 17 games.

Their closer sucks. The Yankees routinely beat him in big spots.

They have no bullpen

They have no outfield

They don't have a 3B

Their 1st base and 2nd base are both on the down side of career and injured yearly.

Both LA teams deserve most disappointing. They both brought in tons of new money in people.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
It will be interesting. Moneyball has never won a series.
Moneyball is about the full season not just short series. Anybody can win a series. Roll the dice and even a team like the Astros can win a short series against some good team once in a while. Since every team basically employs this thinking now in some degree or another its almost impossible to quantify.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:27 AM
I'd like Dickey to win the Cy Young but I have a feeling Kershaw will win. Kimbrel shouldn't even be in the top 3. Dickey had a stretch where he put up similar #s to him in almost the same amount of innings he pitched the entire season on top of pitching almost 4 times as many innings as he did. If you believe Kimbrel should win the Cy Young (or any closer for that matter) then you should start considering injured players with only 150-200 ABs in a season for the MVP. Gio shouldn't win either just because his team was good. Its the 'Cy Young award' not the 'Cy Young award out of the playoff contenders'.

Last edited by creekin111; 10-04-2012 at 04:01 AM..
Old 10-04-2012, 03:57 AM
Quote:
So is the fact the Dickey plays in a pitcher's ballpark.

inside the numbers
Splits
RA Dickey
Home 10-3 Away 10-3
ERA 2.59 H 2.81 a
GS 17 h 15a
Opp B Ave .211 h .241 a
H 94 h 91a
ER 36 h 32a

Gio G
9-4 h 12-4 a
ERA 2.38h 3.31a
GS 14 h 18a
opp b ave .202h .208a
h 67h 82a
er 24 h 40a

What does it mean?
For Gio: He has more games started and won on the road and a lower ERA at home, he has a lower opp batting ave for both home and away and gives up less hits, earned runs at home.

For Dickey: He has a lower ERA on the road, started more at home, and has given up less Earned runs on the road.

Plus for Gio, his games mean more, because they are in first place. The Mets have been a joke since the all star break. I do not believe wins are a miss leading stat. There are times when it can be, but in the real world across every industry stats do not lie. This is not the case like Felix a couple years ago when he was losing games 1-0.

They both have about the same wins against playoff teams and last place teams.
It means more? So an individual award should depend upon a teams success? An individual award is not a team award. The final #s are the final #s. If Gio didn't pitch as well as Dickey then that shows he was folding under pressure in a bigger stage then when it counted. Its not Dickey's fault the Mets were terrible in the 2nd half. There's no way you can prove that Dickey would pitch any worse if he was pitching on the Nats. I could say he would have pitched better and there is no way you can prove otherwise. Ever heard of thriving under pressure? Yes that happens too. These awards should be separated from the teams success as much as possible. Again this is not the Cy Young award for playoff contenders only. No way Gio should be voted over Dickey or Kershaw or Cueto.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 AM
Wins are a convenience stat. The criteria is completely arbitrary and made up.

Why do they have to go five innings? Why isn't it six? Why isn't it four?

Why isn't there a limit to the number of runs you can give up and get a win? Why no caveat saying you can't give up more than 5 runs?

Why doesn't a pitcher get credit for a team's win if he doesn't leave the game with a lead? Why can you pitch 8 shut-out innings and not get a win if your team wins it in the bottom of the ninth? Why does the guy who pitched the top of the ninth get a win?

The win stat tells you nothing except whether or not a pitcher met a set of completely made up criteria.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
It means more? So an individual award should depend upon a teams success? An individual award is not a team award. The final #s are the final #s. If Gio didn't pitch as well as Dickey then that shows he was folding under pressure in a bigger stage then when it counted. Its not Dickey's fault the Mets were terrible in the 2nd half. There's no way you can prove that Dickey would pitch any worse if he was pitching on the Nats. I could say he would have pitched better and there is no way you can prove otherwise. Ever heard of thriving under pressure? Yes that happens too. These awards should be separated from the teams success as much as possible. Again this is not the Cy Young award for playoff contenders only. No way Gio should be voted over Dickey or Kershaw or Cueto.
With Kershaw's last start he might win it
I dont agree with your other statement, but such is life.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 AM
Quote:
With Kershaw's last start he might win it
I dont agree with your other statement, but such is life.
Which one?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Which one?
All of them. I forgot an S
Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Quote:
All of them. I forgot an S
OK.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 AM
Mr. Allen H. "Bud" Selig is cordially invited to die in mortal agony.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:06 PM
How the hell is starting on the road a home field advantage? I realize that they get 3 games at home after two on the road, but it still doesn't make any sense. What was wrong with the original format?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
Mr. Allen H. "Bud" Selig is cordially invited to die in mortal agony.
LOL I don't like him either and makes me sick how people say he is the best commissioner in sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
How the hell is starting on the road a home field advantage? I realize that they get 3 games at home after two on the road, but it still doesn't make any sense. What was wrong with the original format?
AFter thinking about it, I like it. Less pressure. Normally, if you split at home, you lost home field. If you split on the road, you are happy. I know when I am starting out on the road in any series in any sport, the goal is to split. YOu can even lose both away knowing you are coming home for the rest. Not like in 96 when the Yanks lost both at home and then went to Atlanta.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:51 PM
OH yeah, fuck MLB. I am no fan of the cardinals, but that was not an in field fly rule ball. You see that almost once a week every week in baseball. That was a miscommunication and the ump blew it. I wish MLB would have just said they blew it and sorry. I do not liek Joe Torre and if it happened to him he would not say what he said in the press conference.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:06 PM
It was an atrocious call. Even if they let the ball drop how the hell would they pull off a double play. It negates the purpose of the rule. Umpiring is getting worse and worse.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Detroit's got this tonight. Then onto the next round of fun!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Detroit spanks Oakland and onto the ALCS we go!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:29 PM
I think this was the first playoff division series where each series went to 5 games. I really think they should go to a 7 game format in the first round. If they go to November or have to start the season a few days earlier then so be it.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Fuckin' Yankee$.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
Fuckin' Yankee$.
Orioles choked big time again. Just when they could have gotten revenge their offense shuts down.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:33 AM
What a huge fiasco the Nationals/Strasburg situation is now. Player >>>> team.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:19 PM
So now we've got the fucking Yanks vs. Tigers and the Cardinals & Giants. I'm hoping for a Detroit/St. Louis World Series.... Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
So now we've got the fucking Yanks vs. Tigers and the Cardinals & Giants. I'm hoping for a Detroit/St. Louis World Series.... Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
The last 3 world series winners out of the 4 again in the championship series. Nothing more boring in sports outside of the fan base than watching teams that have been there in prior recent years. The only teams non-fans should be rooting for are the Tigers.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm rooting for the Tigers because I'm originally from Michigan and have liked 'em since I was a kid. I don't give a damn who they face in the World Series, so long as they beat that New York ass!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:46 PM
All closers in the majors are the most overpaid overrated jobs in the world.
The ones not named Mariano Rivera.
All of them.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:11 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no-show...ving-fans.html

Quote:
For the second consecutive playoff game, swaths of empty seats filled Yankee Stadium, entire rows without a single fan. And on Saturday night, instead of letting them sit embarrassingly open for Game 1 of the ALCS, ushers were told to fill them with fans from other sections.

"We were up there," said Bill Brady, 46, of Roxbury, N.J., pointing from his new seat in Section 334 to the top of 434b. "Way up there."

Entire rows of Yankee stadium were empty for the opening game of the ALCS. (Yahoo! Sports)Brady was one of dozens of fans ferried by ushers in the bottom of the fourth inning to Section 334 down the left-field line, which just an inning earlier had nine people sitting among more than 100 unfilled seats. One usher, who asked not to be identified, said he was told by a superior to start sending fans to the higher-priced seats.

"I don't know what it's about," the usher said. "I guess they want to make it look better on TV."

While some Yankees fans mobilized on Twitter and other social networks to rationalize the second consecutive non-sellout, fans in Section 334 were miffed and disappointed that a metropolitan area of 22 million couldn't sell out a stadium with a capacity short of 51,000. The announced attendance was 47,122.

I mean we're not talking an early season game during school hours in the middle of the week. The biggest city with the biggest team in game one of a championship series on a Saturday night with all those empty seats? The ticket prices were pretty reasonable as well for this kind of venue. That's pretty awful.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Shows what kinda fans they have. They lost anyway, I was SO happy that Detroit managed to hold on and win last night. Three more left to go!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:48 PM

Its 70 degrees and beautiful out on a Sunday afternoon, can't even use the excuse for the cold today. This reminds me of the Braves in the early 2000s only worse because this is the biggest sports town and supposedly the biggest fan base on Earth. Laughable.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:48 PM
Quote:

Its 70 degrees and beautiful out on a Sunday afternoon, can't even use the excuse for the cold today. This reminds me of the Braves in the early 2000s only worse because this is the biggest sports town and supposedly the biggest fan base on Earth. Laughable.
I love how Yanks fans think their team is so great, etc. but don't even fucking show their support by showing up! You're 150% correct Creekin. What a joke!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Those pics are crazy! WTF? Sad to see Jeter go down like that...
Old 10-14-2012, 07:32 PM
They were booing their players all game long. "Boo! You bums only won 100 games for us this year! We haven't had a World Championship in 1,000 days!" If there ever was a franchise fan base that deserves a multi-year playoff drought its the Yankees. The Orioles should have advanced.

Now they're down by 2 games. Only 3 teams have ever come back going down 0-2 at home and one needed the help of the worst call in MLB history to do it....85 Royals, 86 Mets, 96 Yankees....you can add that another team needed some bonehead error and an amazing 2 out rally.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Quote:
They were booing their players all game long. "Boo! You bums only won 100 games for us this year! We haven't had a World Championship in 1,000 days!" If there ever was a franchise fan base that deserves a multi-year playoff drought its the Yankees. The Orioles should have advanced.
There are a few issues at play here. It's the same shit, different year. The Yankees make the playoffs every year, and save for 2009, they have been unable to hit a beach ball for a while. You would think that a team with experience in the playoffs would realize that you are going to face great pitching every night and that constantly swinging at pitches 10 feet from the plate probably isn't a good idea.

The second thing is, the Yankees fans know that most of these players (especially A-Rod) are getting paid an incredible amount of money, and to go 0-30 in the playoffs and strike out time and time again gets really frustrating. Kuroda pitched a gem today, but they lost because they lacked discipline at the plate. They should have won in extra innings last night, but as usual, they failed to cash in on numerous opportunities. Nothing against Detroit's pitching, but the reason the Yankees are losing isn't because Detroit's pitching has been so good (Fister was rather mediocre last night, and had the Yankees cashed in he would have been out in 2 innings), it's because the Yankees have zero discipline at the plate (save for Jeter, who is out for the playoffs, and Ibanez, who is a freak of nature).

As a Yankee fan, I personally wouldn't boo the players, but I can certainly understand why it's happening. They should have rolled over the Orioles, who are a decent, but noticeably inexperienced team, but instead they relied on 9th inning antics and a 5 game series to pull it off.

I also take issue with making generalizations about Yankee fans. Yeah, you're going to get your phonies, because of the size of the city, bandwagon jumpers, etc., but many of them are great, life-long fans.

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-14-2012 at 08:52 PM..
Old 10-14-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm saying a playoff drought would actually be good for the Yankee fan base. Then they'll come back and perhaps sell out some playoff games to full capacity. They'll appreciate what a playoff berth means instead of them feeling automatically entitled to it.

I can't understand frustration for a team that makes the playoffs 15 out of 16 years, win 90 to 100 games every year and wins a World Series every 5-10 years. I'm sorry I just don't get it. If they lose 5 out of 8 playoff games against the best teams in their league then shouldn't be booing. I don't care how bad some of your players perform that's pretty outrageous and ridiculous by any high standard.

Most of them do live in a "what have you done for me lately" world. Yeah and of course like every fan base not all of them are bad but a lot of them are you just have to face it. A lot of them only know Derek Jeter and one or two other players, watch a handful of playoff games like its a 2-3 week football season and call themselves die hards. Most other fans stick with their teams all year round let alone from April through October. They always say shit like "LOOK AT OUR RINGZZZ!" shoot down whatever your team accomplishes and expect people to take them seriously.

You don't boo. You just shake your head appreciate their effort and move on to the next game/year with their payroll they really only have to watch 3-20 games a year because they're gonna make the playoffs just about every year. I would be embarrassed as a fan if I heard my fellow fans booing my players in a LCS game.

I also don't get the hate for Arod who can be regarded one of the top 10 position players of all time. Being consistent in a short 15-20 AB sample size as soon as the clock strikes game 163 is completely random. He even had an amazing '09 postseason and he still gets shat on.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Quote:
I can't understand frustration for a team that makes the playoffs 15 out of 16 years, win 90 to 100 games every year and wins a World Series every 5-10 years. I'm sorry I just don't get it. If they lose 5 out of 8 playoff games against the best teams in their league then shouldn't be booing. I don't care how bad some of your players perform that's pretty outrageous and ridiculous by any high standard.
Leaving out those who are just fans because of the name and the success attached to it, how can you not expect fans to be frustrated? If I'm watching the game and 5 batters in a row swing at pitches 10 feet outside the strike zone, I'm not going to sit there and go, "Ah, good try, at least they made the playoffs". No fan for any team does that. I agree that the booing is over the top and not something that most true Yankee fans would do, but to not be frustrated is simply silly.

Quote:
Most other fans stick with their teams all year round let alone from April through October.
Again with the generalizations. Just as many Yankee fans stick with the team all year as fans of any other team do, there's just an additional fanbase on top of that that consists of bandwagon jumpers and phonies.

Quote:
I also don't get the hate for Arod who can be regarded one of the top 10 position players of all time. Being consistent in a short 15-20 AB sample size as soon as the clock strikes game 163 is completely random. He even had an amazing '09 postseason and he still gets shat on.
I've stuck up for A-Rod throughout his time with the Yankees, but the guy gets paid more than anyone in baseball and his production has been on a steep decline since 2010.

Ultimately, New York is just a different environment for various reasons. You can shit on the Yankees and their fans all you want, but in the end, there are still as many great fans as any other team has who stick with them through the thick and thin. I've been at games in stadiums outside of New York where at the end of the game if the Yankees are losing there are more Yankee fans still there than fans of the home team. So forgive me if I get slightly agitated at the generalizations made about Yankee fans.

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-14-2012 at 10:32 PM..
Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 PM

Old 10-14-2012, 11:25 PM
What's your point? A drunk fan?

Phillies fans throw batteries at players, so...
Old 10-14-2012, 11:31 PM
As John Wayne says, "Just funnin' son just funnin'."