Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 01:09 AM
The Protomen - awesome 80s style rock opera that's like Streets of Fire meets Megaman

So I just discovered this video game themed indie rock band called The Protomen. Holy shit are they good.

From Wikipedia:

The Protomen is an American rock band best known for composing original concept albums loosely based on the popular video game series Mega Man. The Protomen have achieved a cult following thanks, in part, to an active and vocal internet fan base, intensely theatrical live performances, and a heavy touring regimen.

For the band's second album the group, working with Meat Loaf producer Alan Shacklock, devised a prequel storyline to Act I. The second act details the rise of Albert Wily to power, the rivalry between himself and Thomas Light, and the tragic events which brought the City under Wily's control. The band states that Act II was designed to sound cleaner, reflecting a time "before the bomb dropped". Accordingly, the second album reflects a much broader range of musical styles and more lyrical instrumentation, embracing references from Ennio Morricone to Bruce Springsteen to Shacklock's own Babe Ruth. The album was mastered by Richard Dodd, a Grammy-winning recording engineer.

These guys sound awesome. They're style is clearly heavily influenced by 80s rock, but unlike other jokey bands like Steel Panther and The Darkness, I feel like these guys are completely sincere with their music. Their first album (self titled) is pretty good, but it's their second album, Act II: The Father of Death, that is truly amazing. (Album playlist on YouTube)

Some standout tracks are:

Light up the Night - This sounds like it could have come right out of Streets of Fire. It's like Meat Loaf meets Flock of Seagulls. I played this song countless times this past week.

Keep Quiet - More killer 80s style synth-rock.

The Good Doctor - The introductory song, a dark acoustic track that's like a brooding Johnny Cash or Nick Cave song.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 AM

I saw these guys live at a beer bar in my hometown in BFE Florida. They were pretty good.