Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Jeremy Renner Was Disappointed in Hawkeye role - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1wE
Old 08-08-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
Jeremy Renner Was Disappointed in Hawkeye role - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1wE
We need a Hawkeye film!
Old 08-08-2012, 03:04 PM
While Whedon did a great job juggling the characters for the most part, Hawkeye and Black Widow were both boring characters compared to their super-powered friends. At least Captain America was slightly compelling in his blandness.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
While Whedon did a great job juggling the characters for the most part, Hawkeye and Black Widow were both boring characters compared to their super-powered friends. At least Captain America was slightly compelling in his blandness.
This. Honestly, while I do think he juggled the characters pretty well in the sense that it didn't feel overstuffed, the only characters I found remotely interesting were the Hulk and Iron Man. Thor had a couple of good scenes and the flying monkeys Cap bit was funny, but that's about it. Hawkeye and Black Widow were useless. Having said that, the Hulk and Iron Man were good enough to carry the movie and make it a solid summer blockbuster.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:26 PM
If I were to rank the characters I'd put Black Widow just below Iron Man and Hulk. Hawkeye was cool too and I like the way he was used when the bad guys controlled him for a big chunk of the movie.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Full Story and Statement from the Studio on The Avengers 2 Release Date - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1GL
Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Well that was about average. Far too much shitty CGI, Chris Hemsworth sucks, Scarlett Johansson was dull, Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo, and Mr Jackson were surprisingly wooden. Only thing entertaining was when RDJ was doing what RDJ does, chew up scenery being a sarcastic smart ass. I would much rather have another 2 hours of just him in Iron Man than this drivel. Pretty much what I expected I guess so at least I wasn't letdown.

I'm not really the target audience for this but I gave a watch since everyone was talking about it. Glad I didn't spend any money on it. As far as its rank among movies with men in tights (comic book films), its pretty much like the rest IMO, about average. The darker, more violent, graphic novels still make far superior movies to all of the Spiderman, X-men, Avengers, etc stuff. Aside from Downey Jr as Iron Man, I think I'll pass on any more of these PG-13 kiddie movies from here forward.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:21 AM
WATCH: The Avengers Gag Reel and Extended Scene featuring Loki, Hawkeye and more - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1Lh
Old 08-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post
I'm not really the target audience for this but I gave a watch since everyone was talking about it. Glad I didn't spend any money on it. As far as its rank among movies with men in tights (comic book films), its pretty much like the rest IMO, about average. The darker, more violent, graphic novels still make far superior movies to all of the Spiderman, X-men, Avengers, etc stuff. Aside from Downey Jr as Iron Man, I think I'll pass on any more of these PG-13 kiddie movies from here forward.
I'm inclined to agree. I've pretty much had my Marvel fill as well. Heck, aside from Man of Steel and the unlikely event of a Hellboy 3, I've pretty much had my fill for the whole genre too.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corran horn View Post
I'm inclined to agree. I've pretty much had my Marvel fill as well. Heck, aside from Man of Steel and the unlikely event of a Hellboy 3, I've pretty much had my fill for the whole genre too.
Me too....I had enough of Marvel.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:30 AM
Just watched this last night and I had an absolute blast with this with my father (watching the movie with him definitely carried my experience, as a disclaimer). But I geeked out during most of the fight scenes and loved RDJ. I still prefer the Batman universe but loved this and I do think it is the quintessential blockbuster.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Make Mine Marvel!

The big dog always gets the backlash but 1.5 billion says let's roll through Phase Two and beyond!

Avengers is still the best film produced this summer. Everything that followed seemed so damn dull by comparison. That's a huge reason why box office numbers were coming up short for most everything else. When the best adventure film in a decade hits in early May, everything else seems boring by comparison all summer long.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Well..you are going to have to wait 3 years to see another Avengers movie. The other movies that we are going to get bombarded with in the next three years are going to be average at best....I mean they are not even trying to get decent directors for them.

And the Avengers was good not great , TDKR is a far more important movie , it may not have that kiddy fun you like , but it was not boring at all....but what can be expected of you if you gave Iron man 2 10/10 , Captain America 9/10...it's seems that Marvel does no wrong in your eyes.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
Well..you are going to have to wait 3 years to see another Avengers movie. The other movies that we are going to get bombarded with in the next three years are going to be average at best....I mean they are not even trying to get decent directors for them.

And the Avengers was good not great , TDKR is a far more important movie , it may not have that kiddy fun you like , but it was not boring at all....but what can be expected of you if you gave Iron man 2 10/10 , Captain America 9/10...it's seems that Marvel does no wrong in your eyes.
Well, I and it seems most of America enjoys how Marvel does things. You obviously don't. I just want to know who is forcing you to go to these movies? If you resent them or the reaction to them or simply don't like them, stay away. It seems easy enough to me.

(I did get a chuckle calling TDKR an "important movie"... thanks for that at least.)
Old 08-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Well, I and it seems most of America enjoys how Marvel does things. You obviously don't. I just want to know who is forcing you to go to these movies? If you resent them or the reaction to them or simply don't like them, stay away. It seems easy enough to me.

(I did get a chuckle calling TDKR an "important movie"... thanks for that at least.)

I don't see what's so funny...it complete's one of the greatest Trilogies of all time. It's far more important than The Avengers.

Well , I am obviously staying away from the new barrage of movies coming out in the next three years , Unless the come close to being great as the TDK trilogy which I doubt.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post

You, and a lot of movie fans, are obviously not reared on the term "Marvel Zombie". You go to any convention in this country, heck any LCS, and you're likely to run into a Marvel Zombie, a guy who denies that the house of ideas can do any wrong, a guy who has a distaste for anything created by any other publisher. You can't really reason with guys like that. Guys like that have lost a lot of their objectivity. Guys like that became fans when Marvel was re-writing comics during the Stan/Jack era, and haven't let go.

You look at DC, or any of the other publishers out there, and there's no such thing. Marvel fans tend to be more hard-core single publisher than DC fans, or really fans of any other publisher. Years ago, I heard a guy who was a "Marvel Zombie" try to argue that the whole run of x-men comics in the 90s, and most of the 00s, was actually pretty good. (go to any convention and there's a guy trying to sell his 90s x-men books for a quarter a book, and finding no takers) It was at that point that I understood just how ingrained this thing is, its like following a sports team, or a religion, the "team" comes to define the person. It was at that point that I realized arguing was futile, don't do it, you're never going to make an inch of headway. People are going what they want to, and nothing you can say or do will convince them otherwise.

That's how I try to handle joechar. He says plenty of things that I find, frankly, off the wall. That's fine with me. That's fandome for you, and I have no problems with it. Quite often though, he says things that I agree with, and when we can find common ground on discussion (ie, when I agree somewhat, or think he's mostly right, or somewhat wrong) I tend to chip in, when he doesn't, I tend to just let it go. Its how I've handled "Marvel Zombies" for years now, and I find its the best method. Art is a very subjective thing, and everyone has their own tastes and preferences. Another person's tastes are unlikely to match your own. Let it go, is my advice.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:42 PM
I love me some Soda. His comments and insight are always a great read. I always look forward to his reviews whenever a comic related movie comes out. Having that said, I have to completely disagree with you here. DC fans imo are more of the fanatics and Marvel fans are less unbiased. The Xmen run in the 90's and early 2000's were not great but were no where near as bad as how things were going on at DC/Image/Darkhorse or any of the other publishers.

@CuatroDiablos To say TDKR was a more important movie than The Avengers is indeed laughable. The Avengers much like TDKR is the culmination of all the previous movies plots/storyline/characters. But not only was The Avengers a successful end result to tie in all the previous movies, The Avengers does something TDKR cannot/will not do. It opens up a whole new beginning for Marvel. The possibilities of where Marvel can go with their future projects starts off with The Avengers. That to me is much more important to the future of Marvel, comic book movies and fans like you and I.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post

@CuatroDiablos To say TDKR was a more important movie than The Avengers is indeed laughable. The Avengers much like TDKR is the culmination of all the previous movies plots/storyline/characters.
I have to disagree with you here. The Avengers is finishing off nothing. They're going to continue churning out individual films and Avengers film. I only make this point because the comparison TRULY can't be made until the "final" Avengers chapter film.

What makes it so tough, is that each individual Avenger and the Avengers films are going to have different writers and directors. So there is no singular vision/story. On that note, TDKR is far different and far more important, imho. This is was one directing and writing team's multiple-years long vision of a singular character and created a whole arc. We simply will not get that with the Avengers.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Maybe you haven't heard the news, but Joss Whedon is not only back to direct Avengers 2, but he has a contract with Marvel to pretty much over look all their projects until the end of 2015. Oh, and he will be helming a Marvel based TV show for ABC.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Maybe you haven't heard the news, but Joss Whedon is not only back to direct Avengers 2, but he has a contract with Marvel to pretty much over look all their projects until the end of 2015. Oh, and he will be helming a Marvel based TV show for ABC.
Then, certainly, with that news if The Avengers were to make a trilogy, an argument could certainly be made. I'll give you that. But is he writing or directing Thor 2? Iron Man 3? Captain America 2?

I loved Avengers, I really did. I also openly admit I'm a Bats fanboy. I "enjoyed" Avengers more than TDKR. But for the time I vested into this Batman trilogy, the emotional satisfaction I got out of TDKR and the conclusion of this Bats saga, and to overall filmmaking, TDKR was far superior, IMO.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda View Post
You, and a lot of movie fans, are obviously not reared on the term "Marvel Zombie".
Oh please, there is a whole legion of "moviefans" who would love to eat every meal they will ever have out of Nolan's asshole just because of Batman and now they are claiming guys who liked The Avengers better are biased.

Just the slightest whisper someone enjoyed Avengers better than Dark Knight Rises and you all bend over and start farting Nolan's semen in his face incoherently screaming "bwwarrghhlll if you don't worship Nolan you are a Marvel Zombie. Eat Nolan's cum and convert to our camp. And when you still think Avengers surpasses, then you have our permission to die, brrgggaaawlll".

Talk about how ingrained this thing is, like following a sports team, or a religion, when the "team" comes to define the person. I know arguing is futile, so I won't do it, you're never going to make an inch of headway. People are going what they want to, and nothing you can say or do will convince them otherwise.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:55 PM
My thoughts exactly but without all the harsh words. I think the Noloan/DC fanboys are the more biased group of the two. Just because I believe The Avengers is a much better and more important movie than TDKR, that automatically makes me a Marvel Zombie? I'm unknowingly ingrained to love everything Marvel? I'm a fanatically obsessed follower of all things Marvel? I lose my objectivity and ability to be rational and bipartisan? NOPE. It's as simple as taste and opinion. That's all there is to it. Nothing to do with a pre conceived notion that everything from the house of ideas is better than DC or any other publisher. I've said it before and I will say it again; TDKR is a good movie but no where near great. There were way too many flaws that I could not over look.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald View Post
Oh please, there is a whole legion of "moviefans" who would love to eat every meal they will ever have out of Nolan's asshole just because of Batman and now they are claiming guys who liked The Avengers better are biased.

Just the slightest whisper someone enjoyed Avengers better than Dark Knight Rises and you all bend over and start farting Nolan's semen in his face incoherently screaming "bwwarrghhlll if you don't worship Nolan you are a Marvel Zombie. Eat Nolan's cum and convert to our camp. And when you still think Avengers surpasses, then you have our permission to die, brrgggaaawlll".

Talk about how ingrained this thing is, like following a sports team, or a religion, when the "team" comes to define the person. I know arguing is futile, so I won't do it, you're never going to make an inch of headway. People are going what they want to, and nothing you can say or do will convince them otherwise.
Wow this is an incredibly vulgar and disgusting post. It's also the debating equivalent of "I know you are but what am I?" One side calling the other the "true fanboys" over something that's vague and impossible to quantify makes everybody look childish.

Last edited by DaveyJoeG; 08-27-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Old 08-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Quote:
My thoughts exactly but without all the harsh words. I think the Noloan/DC fanboys are the more biased group of the two. Just because I believe The Avengers is a much better and more important movie than TDKR, that automatically makes me a Marvel Zombie? I'm unknowingly ingrained to love everything Marvel? I'm a fanatically obsessed follower of all things Marvel? I lose my objectivity and ability to be rational and bipartisan? NOPE.
It sounded like Soda was talking about a specific poster and not making a generalized statement about every poster. To boot, it didn't seem like Soda was intending to insult the poster.

But considering the rantings going on I'm starting to figure all ya'll are some kinda fanboy. Luckily this is a website for fanboys, so we're good. As long as nobody's a commie.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald View Post

Old 08-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
It sounded like Soda was talking about a specific poster and not making a generalized statement about every poster. To boot, it didn't seem like Soda was intending to insult the poster.

But considering the rantings going on I'm starting to figure all ya'll are some kinda fanboy. Luckily this is a website for fanboys, so we're good. As long as nobody's a commie.
Yep, he was talking about me and I wasn't insulted at all. Soda is a cool JoBlo poster.

Still, just because I enjoy my Marvel doesn't mean I'm crazed or have to judge everything I see based on how it compares to a Marvel movie. To me, Avengers set up that way being the kick off to a summer that has led to less at the box office for other films. There were other good movies released this summer but I enjoyed Avengers the most.

For the record, three movies with Marvel characters were released this calender year and to me, TDKR was better than 2/3 of them. While I did find TDKR to be flawed, Ghost Rider and Marvel's flagship character Spider-Man landed below TDKR in my book.

Quote:
I love me some Soda. His comments and insight are always a great read. I always look forward to his reviews whenever a comic related movie comes out. Having that said, I have to completely disagree with you here. DC fans imo are more of the fanatics and Marvel fans are less unbiased. The Xmen run in the 90's and early 2000's were not great but were no where near as bad as how things were going on at DC/Image/Darkhorse or any of the other publishers.

@CuatroDiablos To say TDKR was a more important movie than The Avengers is indeed laughable. The Avengers much like TDKR is the culmination of all the previous movies plots/storyline/characters. But not only was The Avengers a successful end result to tie in all the previous movies, The Avengers does something TDKR cannot/will not do. It opens up a whole new beginning for Marvel. The possibilities of where Marvel can go with their future projects starts off with The Avengers. That to me is much more important to the future of Marvel, comic book movies and fans like you and I.
Amen to that.

Avengers is important in that regard but even it is not in the league of films like Schindler's List, Jaws or Passion of The Christ. Those are the films that spring to mind when I think of "important" films.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 PM
I also actually wasn't even talking about The Avengers movie versus TDKR. I was making a generalization about fans of Marvel comics that I've met in real life, and JoeChar in particular. In the world of comics (the stuff that they print on paper) the phenomenon of "Marvel Zombie" is a very real thing. My post wasn't meant as a dig at those fans, and it wasn't meant to compare fans of the two big summer movies. I was just pointing out how I've related with this particular group in the hope that it could be insightful to CD, nothing more.

Here's my thing thought about JoeChar and Marvel Zombies. I don't think you should make this kind of observation unless you are a fanboy. As Jeff Foxworthy once remarked: "I don't think you can talk about rednecks unless you are one, and I are one." It would be hypocritical for me to bash JoeChar in any way, shape or form for his fandome, because I'm just as fanatical. The difference between me and many fans I know is that I'm not a straight ticket voter, I won't buy just one publisher or the other, if something looks interesting, I'll read it. My pull list is actually pretty balanced between the big two. As my comic book store guy says all the time: "read what you like and like what you read." There are too many good creators, too many good books out there to waste a life on bad comics. That was the point of my 90s x-men analogy. I was simply making an observation that I've found to be true, nothing more.

Again, like I said, I'm just as guilty as anyone. When Scott invades the mystical city of K'un L'un and comes face to face with the mystical Dragon Shao Lao, the source of the iron fist energy, I nearly lost it. When that issue of Avengers came out, where the Illumanati re-gather and Steve hopes that Namor will show up, I found it touching, however, it was also a clear signal as to how hopeless the Avengers felt their situation was. I nearly dropped the book at screamed at the characters on the page when one of them proposed stopping the Phoneix five by using the infinity gems. Didn't you guys learn your lesson? No wonder the Marvel U is a mess. Didn't you separate those gems after you defeated Thanos to prevent the guantlet from ever being reassembled and used?

I also think that this one page is the coolest single page I've read all year:

Comic book fans are SUCKERS for the hand reaching up through the rock scene, and when the character in question perfectly parallels what the big theme of the previous 21 pages of the book was about (+50 karma points if you can answer who this is and how he parallels the theme of this particular book. This is not easy. Expert fanboys only.) it strikes me as beyond cool.

So yes, I'm as guilty as anyone else. Probably a lot more so. I find fandome to be an honorable thing, everyone should have passion about something in their life, everyone should be an artist in some way shape or form, or at least admire the art of those much more talented than we are. I have no problem with that, and my comments about JoeChar were meant as complimentary. He knows his stuff, he loves what reads and sees. I respect that, 100%.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Well, back to the film itself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnLm3KlakNE

This deleted scene should have stayed in the film IMO. I love the lonely nature of Cap and another Stan Lee line is always a good thing.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Well, back to the film itself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnLm3KlakNE

This deleted scene should have stayed in the film IMO. I love the lonely nature of Cap and another Stan Lee line is always a good thing.
I love that Cap scene. It's awesome. I still feel that Cap should have had more in the film.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:50 PM
That sounds like Joss Whedon's voice.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Make Mine Marvel!

The big dog always gets the backlash but 1.5 billion says let's roll through Phase Two and beyond!

Avengers is still the best film produced this summer. Everything that followed seemed so damn dull by comparison. That's a huge reason why box office numbers were coming up short for most everything else. When the best adventure film in a decade hits in early May, everything else seems boring by comparison all summer long.

Well I can't say exactly how much money the Colorado shootings cost TDKR, but one thing is for sure; The Avengers didn't have to contend with anything like that. Oh yeah, you might want to take into account that 3D ticket sales bolster any film's earnings significantly. Still, I'll admit 500 something million is impressive, but this achievement hardly makes every other summer release boring. You're getting into subjective territory there.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:31 PM
The summer season for movies is over and IMO The Avengers was the best blockbuster this year, possibly one of the best movies of the whole year.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
I'll admit 500 something million is impressive
Domestic Total as of September 9, 2012: $621,414,627

A little bit more impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDevil View Post
The summer season for movies is over and IMO The Avengers was the best blockbuster this year, possibly one of the best movies of the whole year.
Agree, no possibly about it.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDevil View Post
While I'll agree that Avengers is definitely one of the better films released this year, I disagree that it was the best film released this summer. I could never really get into each individual film that help setup the Avengers, (with the possible exception of Thor). While Whedon should bear no responsibility of what came before, it inevitably affected my anticipation and enjoyment of Avengers.

Another reason I thought it wasn't the cream of the crop this summer is because, for me, the Avengers never really elevated itself above a really good popcorn movie. It's a fun, silly, and visually exciting movie with a little more substance than your average popcorn flick, nothing more. There weren't that many surprises delivered in the film; we pretty much knew what we were getting based on the trailers. While the kid in me was enjoying what I saw, the adult in me was never really that engaged, (with the exception of a few key scenes).
Old 09-25-2012, 12:59 AM
Delivered much more than popcorn and I can't wait to pick up the DVD tomorrow. Great film, period.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Watched most of the extras with Joss' commentary yet to come.

I'm glad they cut all those deleted scenes. The only one's I liked were Loki/Hawkeye underground and the Steve man out of time stuff. I'd have liked the Steve scene to stay but if they're covering that ground in Cap 2, let it have begger emotional punch there.

The Target exclusive bonus disc is excellent if you're a Marvel fan. They go over EVERYTHING leading to the Marvel cinematic universe. Seemed longer than 90 minutes to me.

Also... Holy Crap Is That Collector's Box Set From Best Buy Awesome! Anyone see it?

I already had the movie but had to buy this thing. I don't even have Blu-ray 3D nor care about the music but the box is just so damn cool. It's leather-like and that cool 3D Avengers scene lights up when you press a button. Looks GREAT at night.

The Marvel character guide is substantial and there's also a $30 gift card to Sideshow Collectibles. $70 is a steep price tag but worth it to me.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:04 PM
The Dark Knight Rises cinematographer Wally Pfister calls The Avengers film "appalling" - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2hx
Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Leaving out counterarguments I could make about some of his work on the Batman films, I agree with him. There is an abundance of terrible shot selections in The Avengers. I just watched it again recently and some of the selections make absolutely no sense. There are a ton of really random angles as well as some poorly shot action that is so terribly edited, it seemed like there was footage missing. Maybe it's because McGarvey has only done smaller-budget movies in the past, but I think a lot of it has to do with Whedon. I've heard rumblings that he had an extremely difficult time shooting this movie due to his inexperience on a project of this size. He even kind of implies in the commentary that a lot of strings had to be pulled in order to save his ass. He may have written a decent screenplay, but I'm not so confident in his directing abilities. There's a reason that he's claiming the next Avengers will be a "smaller" movie.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 PM
As much as I dug The Avengers (in fact I even liked it more than TDKR), I do agree that it was rather dull and uninspired in the visual department (in terms of cinematography). It's definitely understandable given, as Bourne mentioned, Whedon still has a lot of honing to due in the director's chair and that a movie of this size must have been supremely daunting for him, but what is surprising is how such a great DP like Seamus McGarvey (Atonement, We Need to Talk About Kevin) didn't really bring anything special to the table either as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 AM
The Marvel franchise can be more accurately described as products than films.