Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Michael Bay lashes out at "unhappy actors" (AKA Hugo Weaving)

Michael Bay On Complaining Actors: 'Be Happy You Even Have A Job'

The Huffington Post | By Christopher Rosen Posted: 10/18/2012 11:36 am EDT Updated: 10/18/2012 11:40 am EDT

Michael Bay has shot back at "Transformers" voice actor Hugo Weaving without even mentioning Weaving's name.

"Do you ever get sick of actors that make $15 million a picture, or even $200,000 for voiceover work that took a brisk one hour and 43 minutes to complete, and then complain about their jobs?" Bay wrote. "With all the problems facing our world today, do these grumbling thespians really think people reading the news actually care about trivial complaints that their job wasnít 'artistic enough' or 'fulfilling enough'?"

Weaving, who voiced Megatron in Bay's three "Transformers" films, called the work "meaningless," while also saying he never even met Bay face to face. In his retort, Bay cites THR as publishing Weaving's comments (again, without mentioning Weaving by name), but the original interview was published by Collider. (HuffPost Entertainment picked up Weaving's remarks as well.)

"Thatís a weird job for me because it honestly was a two-hour voice job, initially," Weaving said. "It was one of the only things Iíve ever done where I had no knowledge of it, I didnít care about it, I didnít think about it. They wanted me to do it. In one way, I regret that bit. I donít regret doing it, but I very rarely do something if itís meaningless. It was meaningless to me, honestly. I donít mean that in any nasty way. I did it. It was a two-hour voice job, while I was doing other things."

Weaving isn't the first "Transformers" star to ding the films. Megan Fox famously compared Bay to "Hitler," while also claiming that the films were dangerous. "Shia [Labeouf] and I almost die when we make a 'Transformers' movie. He has you do some really insane things that insurance would never let you do."

LaBeouf, who has often spoken out against projects he didn't like -- "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" and "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" among them -- also knocked the franchise.

"We got lost [on the second movie]. We tried to get bigger. It's what happens to sequels. It's like, how do you top the first one? You've got to go bigger," LaBeouf said. "Mike [Bay] went so big that it became too big, and I think you lost the anchor of the movie. ... You lost a bit of the relationships. Unless you have those relationships, then the movie doesn't matter. Then it's just a bunch of robots fighting each other."

For Bay, that kind of talk is exhausting.

"What happened to people who had integrity, who did a job, got paid for their hard work, and just smiled afterward? Be happy you even have a job -Ė let alone a job that pays you more than 98% of the people in America," he wrote.

For more from Bay, including his offer to any actor not pleased with their "unhappy job money," head over to MichaelBay.com.

Link

The link to Bay's website at the bottom of the article seems to be bad. Perhaps Bay posted a message and then later took it down? Don't know.

On one hand, I kinda agree with Bay here. Hugo Weaving knew what he was getting into, and did it three times (at apparently 200K a pop for less than two hours work each).
Old 10-18-2012, 05:07 PM
I agree with what he's saying, I respect the statement, but I just wish Bay cared more about story and character development than spectacle with his films. Even if Hugo is wrong to complain about his job, the Transformers films deserve every bit of criticism they receive. He would be such an excellent director with better scripts, I think The Rock is one of the best action movies of the 90s.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 AM
No wonder why Michael Bay likes the Transformer franchise so much. He doesn't want to work with people who have opinions. He wants to work with robots.

I personally think there is nothing wrong with what Hugo Weaving said. He said he doesn't regret doing the movie, but that it was meaningless. Well, you know what? He's kind of right. Although I actually dug the third Transformers flick, they are pretty meaningless.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:15 AM
how about Bay leaves Elrond alone. Jesus i hope something bad happens to Bay.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 AM
I kind of agree with Bay. Where were these feelings and attitudes about doing these voice-over roles when Weaving and Bettany took the jobs? Next time, don't do the work, don't get paid a shitload of money for a few hours work, and stick with whatever work floats your boat.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:14 AM
Once again: all Weaving said was that it was meaningless work. He said he DIDN'T regret doing it, but it was meaningless. What's wrong with what he said?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 AM
The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of self-respecting actors would never, EVER do these 'disposable-piece-of-shit' projects if the more artistic, substantial stuff paid the same.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 AM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 06:21 PM..
Old 10-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Bay obviously took Weaving's comments as direct insults toward him, and his work, WHICH THEY WERE NOT. It's Transformers, and Weaving is an old British guy, so does that come as a surprise to anyone that the project held zero meaning to him? The man's not complaining, just answering a question honestly, and if Transformers were my movie, and he said that, I would completely understand where he was coming from. Michael Bay calls it whining and questions their integrity? So he would have preferred Weaving say that a movie inspired by children's toys really connected with him? HE DIDN'T EVEN GET A COMPLETE SCRIPT!

I'm not surprised that people are siding with Bay, because his comments would be true, IF these actors were really complaining, however they're not. Once you realize that, you realize what a baby Michael Bay is for even feeling he needed to address this.

Last edited by Preston_79; 10-19-2012 at 01:29 PM..
Old 10-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post

The blame lies with those who pay and subsequently create a demand for films like Transformers. Having said that, I'm overjoyed that John Carter flopped, and probably prevented its franchise.
John Carter is a billion times the movie any of the Transformers movies are. I wouldn't compare the two.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
Bay obviously took Weaving's comments as direct insults toward him, and his work, WHICH THEY WERE NOT. It's Transformers, and Weaving is an old British guy, so does that come as a surprise to anyone that the project held zero meaning to him? The man's not complaining, just answering a question honestly, and if Transformers were my movie, and he said that, I would completely understand where he was coming from. Michael Bay calls it whining and questions their integrity? So he would have preferred Weaving say that a movie inspired by children's toys really connected with him? HE DIDN'T EVEN GET A COMPLETE SCRIPT!

I'm not surprised that people are siding with Bay, because his comments would be true, IF these actors were really complaining, however they're not. Once you realize that, you realize what a baby Michael Bay is for even feeling he needed to address this.
Weaving is actually an Aussie, but yeah... Bay is ridiculously defensive about these shitty, disposable movies. As SS mentioned, things are unfortunately not going to get any better for serious actors until the mainstream audience starts demanding a little more from its entertainment (as opposed to treating it as a pleasant little time-killer and then, after it's over, proceeding with your life as if it had never happened )... but with the gap continuing to widen between the general 'thinkers' of this world and the 'non-thinkers' as time goes on, that's never going to happen.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of self-respecting actors would never, EVER do these 'disposable-piece-of-shit' projects if the more artistic, substantial stuff paid the same.
Most would do better quality work, but I'm betting not all.

Corporate Hollywood negated original thought in the film industry and went the extra mile marketing eye candy instead. Like the rest of corporate America, Hollywood is completely backwards.

Last edited by jeo4; 10-20-2012 at 09:50 PM..
Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 PM
well , if Peter North did 2 gay movies in the early 80s , i don't see how Hugo Weaving makes a big deal out of a pay-for-play performance. It's not like all actors are always hyped about there new project. * LOOKING AT YOU SAMUEL L. JACKSON !!*
Old 10-20-2012, 08:47 AM
The films are for s***.
"Meaningless" is a nice way of putting it.
Go, Hugo.
Bay, go blow something up and collect YOUR check.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
well , if Peter North did 2 gay movies in the early 80s , i don't see how Hugo Weaving makes a big deal out of a pay-for-play performance. It's not like all actors are always hyped about there new project. * LOOKING AT YOU SAMUEL L. JACKSON !!*
He's not making a big deal about it, just explaining that he usually picks projects that he actually cares about.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:21 AM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 06:16 PM..
Old 10-20-2012, 11:32 AM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 06:16 PM..
Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 PM
"Be happy you even have a job."

I agree with Bay there when it comes to LeBeouf and Fox.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Wow I actually agree completely with Bay on this one.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 AM
It's well known that plenty of actors do "paycheck" movies, but I think it's some kind of unwritten rule among voice actors that you never, ever talk bad about jobs doing voice over. But, then Hugo Weaving is no mere voice actor...

I do agree that for a man as rich and powerful as Bay, he is pretty sensitive about what people say about his movies. However, I do fully believe that there isn't a harder working person on the set than him, and that he has little patience for those who can't keep up with him.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:21 AM
+ 1 for Bay
- 1 for Weaving

Interesting.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRazor View Post
Bay, go blow something up and collect YOUR check.
Even though Weaving is doing essentially the same thing by choosing to work with Bay?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Isn't this the same Michael Bay that blamed his actors for the box office failure of The Island?

Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMovie View Post
+ 1 for Bay
- 1 for Weaving

Interesting.
I don't think either one won or lost. And if one of them did win or lose I would be incline to say it's Bay since he's coming across as a tad whiny.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I don't think either one won or lost. And if one of them did win or lose I would be incline to say it's Bay since he's coming across as a tad whiny.
Lol I didn't mean to imply that either had 'won' or 'lost'. It was more like + and - respect, as a joke more or less. I find it interesting that I lost respect for Weaving in a situation where I find myself begrudgingly agreeing with Bay.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 AM
So, something that was lost in all this is that Hugo Weaving also kinda threw Captain America under the bus as well. Here's a link to Weaving's actual interview, but specifically on appearing in Captain America sequels:

I think the tendency, with those films, would be to probably not bring a villain back. They might for The Avengers, but I didnít think Iíd be in Captain America 2 or 3. I donít think Red Skull will be there. And itís not something I would want to do again. Iím glad I did it. I did sign up for a number of pictures and I suppose, contractually, I would be obliged to, if they forced me to, but they wouldnít want to force someone to do it, if they didnít want to. I think Iíve done my dash with that sort of film. It was good to do it and try it out, but to be honest, itís not the sort of film I seek out and really am excited by.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:51 AM
It's a shame he feels that way since I loved Captain America and thought he was perfect as the Red Skull. But I still think there is nothing wrong with what he said. If that is his opinion, then it's his opinion.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
It's a shame he feels that way since I loved Captain America and thought he was perfect as the Red Skull. But I still think there is nothing wrong with what he said. If that is his opinion, then it's his opinion.
Precisely, and his comments are tame, tame, tame. It's like him complaining that his hybrid doesn't have enough power, or that the bread was a little dry on the sandwich he just ate. He's not complaining about people he worked with, or that any of these movies he's done are shit. What's the statute of limitations on an actor speaking freely about what projects he enjoyed and which ones he didn't?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:18 AM
If he didn't want to do Part II, why the fuck did he sign on? Now he's ruined whatever arc there might have been planned for the character. Fuck Bay but fuck Weaving too.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Weaving has ruined the Transformers franchise!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!