Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 AM
The DC Comics Relaunch thread

I've always considered myself a Marvel guy personally. I read Batman from a young age though, and the DC Universe always intrigued me.

Now that they've rebooted the company-wide line of comics back to #1, I've found myself reading and pulling more DC books than Marvel now.

The best of the DCnU (DC New Universe), so far:

Batman (Scott Snyder, writer, Greg Capullo, artist)

No surprise here that Batman would be the top of the heap for me. While many other DC titles jettisoned their continuity, Batman's stories of the last few years still remain intact (Batman RIP, Batman Inc., etc). Snyder is building a nice little conspiracy against Batman and Bruce Wayne, and Capullo's art crackles with a nice edgy energy that the character hasn't really had in some time. Win win.

Action Comics: Superman (Grant Morrison, writer, Rags Morales, artist).

I used to follow Superman around the "Reign Of The Supermen" story way back in the day, but usually I find Superman as a character rather boring to read about or watch. Thanks to Grant Morrison, the character seems fresh and reinvigorated. Action Comics is one of the line that takes place some five years past where the rest of the company action is happening (like the current Justice League comic), and shows a young Clark Kent coming up in Metropolis and gaining the attention of Lex Luthor and the military. Superman has been depowered a bit for this iteration and we see him pretty roughed up in the 2nd issue. A really promising start.

Justice League: Dark (Peter Milligan, writer).

It was also decided that certain Vertigo characters like Constantine would be subsumed back into the company-wide continuity, which brings us to JL: Dark. I don't know what the hell's happening in the first issue yet, but it managed to be intriguing and creepy, and since Zatanna is on this team, this makes it a must-pull for me. Also, Milligan has written some nicely trippy comics in the past, so I'm liking the first issue (2nd comes out like next week).

Wonder Woman (Brian Azzarello, writer, Cliff Chiang, artist).

If there's ever a comic character I've never read and never thought about reading, it's Wonder Woman. Consider me hooked now--this new WW is slightly darker take, and like a horror tale mixed with a Greek mythology story. Mix with some strong visuals by Chiang and I have yet another book on my pull list.

The Flash (Francis Manupul, writer, artist).

Too early to tell if this is going to be a mainstay on my pull list, but this new Flash issue boasted incredibly strong visuals and layout by Manupul, even if the story is slightly forgettable in the first issue. I'll buy it for the art alone, but will have to drop it if the story doesn't pick up.

Batwoman (JH Williams III, writer, artist).

Probably the strongest art of the whole line-wide relaunch, Williams' Batwoman is another book that mixes extremely bold design and layout with supernatural story elements. I'm a bit lost as I've never read a Batwoman comic before, but two issues in and I'm hooked. The art is vibrant and basically radiates off the page.

Animal Man (Jeff Lemire, writer, Travel Foreman, artist).

Not sure what to make of this series yet, but had read Morrison's Animal Man in the past and enjoyed it, and took a chance on this new series. Creepy art (and the best you'll read by an artist with the first name of Travel), and a somewhat intriguing story linking the powers of A-Man with a force of nature called "The Red", which links him with Swamp Thing, who's power is given by something called "The Green".

Honorable mentions:

Peter J Tomasi's writing on Batman & Robin helps distinguish it from the 3 other Bat-titles by focusing on the relationship between Bruce Wayne and his somewhat troubled son and new Robin, Damien. I wasn't really blown away by issue #1, but #2 lays some good groundwork for things to come.

Justice League by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee is like that quarter pounder and fries you know you shouldn't eat if you could find a healthier option, but it satisfies that craving for junk just the same. Justice League is rebooted and damn near like an Image comic from the 90's. While I found #1 very light on story, #2 has a really nice battle between Batman, Green Lantern and Flash against a super pissed-off Superman. Lee's visual's stun, but don't innovate. Johns' story is doling out just enough info to keep me interested, but I'm not sure I'll continue to pull this.

Catwoman, likewise, isn't winning over a lot of fans for its "fan-fiction"-esque portrayal of Catwoman and Batman getting it on, very graphicly, at the end of the first issue. But something about this new Catwoman book by Judd Winick has me intrigued--there's lots of T & A, blood, violence. Many are put off by how much characterization is jettisoned by this relaunch, but it's good for newbs like me, even though I know the story's slightly crap. At least the art by Gulliem March is nicely crisp and detailed.

Batgirl by writer Gail Simone sounded interesting--Simone takes Barbara Gordon, who has been wheelchair-bound since the late 80's after being gunned down by the Joker, and puts her back in the Batgirl costume. How this is possible hasn't been explained yet, but meanwhile Batgirl is busy fighting a villain called the Mirror, with a literal kill list with Barbara and her father Commissioner Gordon's names on it. The first two issues haven't really grabbed me, but it seems like there is some kind of potential here.

Is anyone else checking out the DCnU?

Last edited by Ayestrain; 10-25-2011 at 01:03 AM..
Old 10-25-2011, 03:02 AM
I picked up the first 2 issues of Action - Just not gotta chance to read 'em yet. I've heard nothing but good things about it. The ONE thing I don't like (just from seeing the cover & flipping through it) is that Superman wears fucking jeans! JEANS! I hate that. But with him being younger/more brash and slightly de-powered, I think that's interesting.

I HAVE read the first issue of Superman - It'll take some time for me to get used to Clark's parents being dead, and the fact he & Lois never were married. I AM getting used to his new costume/suit however. It's growing on me. The first issue was ok - It was decent for what it was. I will continue to read this, Action Comics and I'm also considering picking up Supergirl as well.

The rest of the titles I could care less about. (Notta Batman in the comics fan or a fan of any of the other characters outside of Superman/Supergirl and their enemies/mythos).
Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 AM
LOL, the jeans thing didn't bother me in Action, nor the Lois and he not being married, or dead parents again, over in regular Superman. But I'm not a Superman diehard.

I thought George Perez did really good work in the regular Superman title too, even if it was overly talky, it had a nice old-school comic feel to it. I do like the new Superman suit, especially the way Jim Lee draws it.

My LCS owner commented that DC didn't really need to restart all these books to get the effect they're going for, but I replied that of course they wouldn't have made as big a splash, or gotten the media attention, that 52 new #1's get.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:30 AM
So far i've read the following:

Action Comics #1 & 2

Tremendously entertaining. I just love the whole angle that Morrison has gone for here. Not only with Clark Kent/Superman but also with Lex Luthor. I loved how Luthor kept insisting that Superman should be referred to as "it" not "he" or "him". Also loved the torture scene and how he shrugged it off after a minute respite.

Batwoman #1 & 2

Wow. J H Williams' artwork here is an absolute delight. He really is a master of layouts. Plus the story is dark and intriguing. Loving the whole supernatural element as i'm a big fan of horror in general. And doesn't Batwoman's red hair just leap off the page? Defintely the most gorgeous comic i've seen in some time.

Swamp Thing #1 & 2

Really like the direction this is taking. It's both welcoming to new readers while providing enough of a twist to capture the attention of people (like me) who have read pretty much every Swamp Thing comic since Alan Moore took over (yes...I even suffered through the mostly awful Doug Wheeler years).

That's all i've had the chance to read so far. I do intend to read plenty of other titles (Wonder Woman, Justice League: Dark, Animal Man etc). Just don't have the time just now.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocandy View Post
Batwoman #1 & 2

Wow. J H Williams' artwork here is an absolute delight. He really is a master of layouts. Plus the story is dark and intriguing. Loving the whole supernatural element as i'm a big fan of horror in general. And doesn't Batwoman's red hair just leap off the page? Defintely the most gorgeous comic i've seen in some time.

Swamp Thing #1 & 2

Really like the direction this is taking. It's both welcoming to new readers while providing enough of a twist to capture the attention of people (like me) who have read pretty much every Swamp Thing comic since Alan Moore took over (yes...I even suffered through the mostly awful Doug Wheeler years).
Really liking Batwoman, and I'd never read the book before. JH Williams art is a massive draw, and his rendition of the character is irresistible.

I did pick up Swamp Thing #1, and I wouldn't say it was entirely welcoming to new readers. It would require you to know that the creature that was never actually Alec Holland under Moore, was and is in fact Alec Holland. A simple internet search would set me straight, but I'm not getting why that matters.

I think my time would be better spent reading up on more of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing--I read one of the collections the library had and was blown away.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
Really liking Batwoman, and I'd never read the book before. JH Williams art is a massive draw, and his rendition of the character is irresistible.

I did pick up Swamp Thing #1, and I wouldn't say it was entirely welcoming to new readers. It would require you to know that the creature that was never actually Alec Holland under Moore, was and is in fact Alec Holland. A simple internet search would set me straight, but I'm not getting why that matters.

I think my time would be better spent reading up on more of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing--I read one of the collections the library had and was blown away.
Issue #2 has some well written exposition that should assist to fill you in. But...Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is up there with the very best comics i've read. I actually prefer his run on Swamp Thing to Watchmen, V For Vendetta and pretty much everything else he's turned his hand to. It gets my heartiest recommendation.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:31 PM
I just read the first 2 issues of Supergirl and the first 2 issues of Action Comics.

I just want to say I hate, HATE HATE the new "Superman" in Action Comics! HATE HIM!

First the "jeans" thing fucking pissed me off to no end. Now he's running around like a jerkoff, being 'brash' and destructive.... It didn't feel I was reading Superman, I felt like I was reading "Superboy" in these two issues. Fuck YOU Grant Morrison!

I will say Morales' art was about the ONLY redeeming thing about the issues. But again, piss on this fucking turd!

The Superman in the self-title and in Supergirl is THE Superman I know. Responsible, level-headed, intelligent and just over-all fantastic. Apparently I hear it's the same Superman from those two titles that is also over in the JLA book as well, which I'm thinking about checking out.

Anyway, as far as the first two Supergirl books, I enjoyed 'em. I like how she's basically on earth for the "first time" and trying to find her way, with Big Blue there to help her out. I'm curious to learn how she got to earth, and how this whole thing is going to play out.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
The Superman in the self-title and in Supergirl is THE Superman I know. Responsible, level-headed, intelligent and just over-all fantastic. Apparently I hear it's the same Superman from those two titles that is also over in the JLA book as well, which I'm thinking about checking out.
I've found the Superman in JLA to be a massive jerk so far as well. A far cry from what Perez is doing over in Superman.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up Ayestrain, I'll be sure to steer clear of JLA then!

I appreciate it!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:22 PM
So, I've been piling into the DC stuff too. I was originally a marvel fan back in the day, but now, my pull list is DC primarily. Few books that stood out:

Wonder Woman - this book was freakin awesome, and I love the direction Azz is taking the character.

GL New Guardians - this is a curiosity book for me, in that I'm curious to see what DC does with Kyle in this role.

Batgirl - Babs back in the suit has been very, very cool.

I thought the new Action was Okay, and that the new Batman was above average. Definitely worth sticking around for and seeing where they go with it.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 PM
The Batman from the New 52, is really, really good. I just picked up the first two issues and I love the series...so far.

This series, and the Uncanny X-Force are prob the best comics out right now.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
The Batman from the New 52, is really, really good. I just picked up the first two issues and I love the series...so far.
Agreed. Really enjoying it, and I've never read a Batman comic in my life. Good stuff.

Last edited by jaw2929; 12-26-2011 at 02:05 PM..
Old 12-26-2011, 01:29 AM
I've read all the the new Justice League, Flash, Wonder Woman and Catwoman to date. (12-26-2011)

Catwoman is awful. But she looks amazing.

The Flash is really good with the exception of the over-writing. Seriously I feel like every panel is packed sometimes. Art is pretty fantastic.

Justice League is decent. Art is top notch but I feel GL is dominating the story for me. He gets a lot of face time.

Wonder Woman, in my opinion, is probably the one that's turning out the best. Seriously. They made her origin nice and simple. Done. The story drags but the art makes up for it. This is how WW should look.

Let's get some more reviews! Anyone caught up on Batman? I haven't even looked through it, just because I'm not sure about it.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:35 AM
I'm still buying quite a few of the titles. I'm just not caught up on all of them (Action, Catwoman, Wonder Woman, Animal Man).

The ones I am read up on, like Flash, I would definitely agree with you EvilHomer, that book is very over written. I'm not sure what Manupul is going for sometimes. Definitely doesn't feel like a Flash book as I've ever read, but it's decent.

I bought and read up all the way to #4 on Detective Comics, written and drawn by Tony Daniel. I'm through with that title, as Daniel's writing is godawful and his first arc went nowhere. The art was nice but I'm really shocked DC would let TD write a book like Detective, as his ideas are rather stale.

Likewise, I read up to #4 on Simone's Batgirl. It was a decent title with decent art and writing, but I'm cutting that book loose as well.

Snyder and Capullo's Batman is still really good, though I've only read up to #3. That book and Batman and Robin--both really ambitious titles that actually feel like they're taking the Bat-mythos in new and interesting directions.

I'm only up to #3 on Justice League, but was very entertained by that issue, which focused on Wonder Woman.

Still liking Justice League Dark, even though the story feels like it's building and building. Not sure where they're going with it, but the art is fantastic and there's a good dynamic between the characters.

Last edited by Ayestrain; 12-26-2011 at 05:39 AM..
Old 12-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Agreed with the Batman title, really fucking good writing and good art work make this my favourite one currently. Still sticking with Superman and Supergirl as well. I like Supergirl's new arch enemy Tycho - Very interesting.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Just an update.

The Flash: I'm letting this one go. Enough said.

Batman: I finally read all of these. It's done really well. All around good work.

Batman and Robin: It's a little hard to digest, in my opinion. The artwork doesn't really wow me, but it shines in some parts. The only real thing I have against this title is Damian Wayne. A bit over the top? Maybe... maybe not. Also, can this really be considered a re-boot or whatever the hell they're calling it? For those familiar with Grant Morrison's previous work should know what I'm talking about. Still, I'm going to hold on to it for a while.

Is anyone reading the Planet of the Apes series? I hear good things. I'm a huge "Apes" fan and would really enjoy a good story. I think I might look into Action and/or Superman next. Also, is anyone reading Green Lantern?

Happy reading, dudes.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I for one really appreciated the relaunching at #1. In the last year or so I've got into the Green Lantern TPBs in a big way, so it was an excellent time to start a subscription.

Just waiting for the WOTGL Aftermath Hardcover to arrive so I can start reading them...
Old 02-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Update on the three titles I'm reading. I've since traded in Supergirl in for Action Comics. Initially I hated the Superman being written in the Action relaunch. But now I kinda like how it's his early years in Metropolis, and he's not fully powered so he is vulnerable to an extent. It's entertaining & engaging and that's all I can ask outta a comic book.

Still reading Superman & Batman and still loving them. I'm pleased with DC's New 52 based off these three titles (4 if you include Supergirl) alone. So well done to them!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Homer View Post
Is anyone reading the Planet of the Apes series? I hear good things. I'm a huge "Apes" fan and would really enjoy a good story.
I'd consider myself somewhat of a die-hard Apes fan, and from the one issue I picked up of the series was very impressive. I like it. I really do need to check out the others, but my comic budget is about one or two issues a month, as I'm saving up for an apartment and the adjustments of moving in to college. I know this isn't DC-related, but the new Godzilla series has been enjoyable as well.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Detective Comics New 52

I've read all of them so far and love them! I just got into comics so its hard to say whats good and whats bad, but I can see myself buying Batman comics for the rest of my life if these story lines are this good! I love all the villains, art, and the direction its going. I highly recommend picking it up.