Old 10-26-2012, 12:14 AM
The Legend of Conan

Arnold Schwarzenegger returns for The Legend of Conan.

In surprising news, Arnold Schwarzenegger is returning to the franchise that kick-started his acting career, taking the lead in The Legend of Conan for Universal Pictures.

Fredrik Malmberg and Christopher Morgan will produce for Universal, who hold worldwide rights to the film. Christopher Morgan may write the screenplay as well. This action adventure based on the works of Robert E. Howard will serve as Universal's tentpole picture for the summer of 2014. Christopher Morgan is currently working on the seventh Fast & Furious script for the studio now, and if he is not finished in time to write this himself, he will stay attached as a very active producer.

This will be Arnold Schwarzenegger's third time playing the legendary barbarian. Though there was an attempt to reboot the franchise in the summer of 2011 with Jason Momoa playing Conan the Barbarian, producer Fredrik Malmberg claims this is the movie they really wanted to make. Only, they couldn't do it while Arnold Schwarzenegger was still in the governor's office. "The original ended with Arnold on the throne as a seasoned warrior, and this is the take of the film we will make. It's that Nordic Viking mythic guy who has played the role of king, warrior, soldier and mercenary, and who has bedded more women than anyone, nearing the last cycle of his life. He knows he'll be going to Valhalla, and wants to go out with a good battle.

After the original seminal movie, all that came after looked silly to me. Robert E. Howard's mythology and some great philosophy from Nietzsche to Atilla the Hun was layered in the original film. People say, he didn't speak for the first 20 minutes of the film, but that was calculated in depicting this man who takes control of life with his own hand. This movie picks up Conan where Arnold is now in his life, and we will be able to use the fact that he has aged in this story. I love the property of Conan so much that I wouldn't touch it unless we came up with something worthy. We think this is a worthy successor to the original film. Think of this as Conan's Unforgiven."

There are no plans for Jason Momoa to return to the character, with The Legend of Conan completely skipping over that failed installment of the franchise. It will also skip over the 1984 sequel Conan the Destroyer, which actually starred Arnold Schwarzenegger. This new incarnation will serve as a direct link to the original film.

Though an R rating is not set in stone for this follow-up, the producers plan to stay true to the material.

"I loved the choices they made in that film. You start with the wholesale slaughter and death of Conan's village at the hand of the warlord played by James Earl Jones, and you see young Conan chained to a wheel as he becomes stronger. Then he's a pit fighter, and later basically a stud bull before he meets the first kind person of his life, who lets him go. All of that horrific stuff happened for a reason, and then an act of kindness sends him on his journey. Will that level of violence be there? Absolutely, but only if it serves a character who lives by that barbarian law of the wild, who is capable of extreme violence and rage, but who has created his own code and operates from within it. By the end of that film, Conan became a certain character, and this film picks him up there, as he faces different challenges that include dealing with age."

This is what Arnold Schwarzenegger had to say.

"I always loved the Conan character and I'm honored to be asked to step into the role once again. I can't wait to work with Universal and the great team of Fredrik Malmberg and Christopher Morgan to develop the next step of this truly epic story."

The Legend of Conan comes to theaters in 2014 and stars Arnold Schwarzenegger.

LINK

Last edited by God of War; 10-26-2012 at 01:22 AM..
Old 10-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Any Arnold project is good by me, though they really should've went with Milius' "King Conan: Crown of Iron" - I heard good things about that script
Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Any Arnold project is good by me, though they really should've went with Milius' "King Conan: Crown of Iron" - I heard good things about that script
Agreed. I was waiting, hoping, and praying that it would have come to fruition. But it suffered way too many setbacks. One of the biggest, being Arnie in office at that time. But being a big Conan fan for many years, I feel that Milius' project would have been awesome. Who knows. We may see something a bit later. But I feel that this is a stand alone film, which only links directly to the original.

"CROM!"
Old 10-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Here is what scars me, Fredrik Malmberg's first choice for directing the Conan remake was Brett Ratner. He even said that they were trying everything they could to persuade Ratner to direct.

Hopefully they get someone worth a damn to direct.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:28 AM
Pass....Jason Mamoa was way better than Arnold. Anyone who knows the source material would not say otherwise.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
Pass....Jason Mamoa was way better than Arnold. Anyone who knows the source material would not say otherwise.
Jason Mamoa played Conan as if he were a fratboy without any kind of character arc. Mamoa certainly has the skills to play Conan, we've seen them in Game of Thrones, he just didn't have a director that could pull the performance out of him.

I'm a huge Howard fan, and have been since I was a kid. Schwarzenegger's version of Conan has so far been the best. Conan the Barbarian had a very well written character arc, similar to Batman Begins.

Spoiler:
Barbarian starts off with Schwarzenegger's character being as far away from Howard's Conan as possible. He is a dangerous child of a man bumbling around without purpose. Then as the movie progresses we see Schwarzenegger's character slowly evolve. He is beaten & broken down, crucified, and finally reborn as Howard's Conan. It wasn't until nearly the end of the movie that we finally saw the birth of Conan.

John Milius claims that we don't truly see Conan until after he decapitates Thulsa Doom.

Then 'Destroyer' came along threw all of that character evolution out the window. And then the remake came along and followed in the footsteps of the Kevin Sorbo movie 'Kull the Conqueror'.

Last edited by Silverload; 10-26-2012 at 07:52 AM..
Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Jason Mamoa was way better than Arnold.
At what exactly, screwing a potential disaster of a remake? In that case, I agree with you.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Quote:
i have to disgree with you

geez every Arnie film l have seen has been brilliant

Well hang on there was only one l didnt like it was Twins where Arnie went inot comedy

it didnt suit him because he is more of a action man

well if Arnie is going to make a new Conan film l will be seeing

I remember seeing Conan and really enjoyed the role he played in it
Old 10-27-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm definitely cool with this...has the potential to be better than any Arnold related Terminator sequel....with a pudgy, wrinkly T-800.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:22 PM
I've actually never seen the Arnie Conan movies. But they, along with this, can't possibly be worse than the Conan movie that came out last year.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I've actually never seen the Arnie Conan movies. But they, along with this, can't possibly be worse than the Conan movie that came out last year.
The original Conan The Barbarian movie starring Arnie is leagues ahead of the Mamoa botch up. Also, forget the Destroyer. Apart from a few nice fight scenes, its' pretty awful compared to the first film. If handled correctly, Arnie's new Conan film will be awesome! Jason Mamoa should have stayed in Stargate. He was good in that. As Conan, he looked the part, but had/has nothing on Arnie.

Here's the trailer for Conan, dude. It also features great music by Basil Poledouris. Who also did the score for the original Robocop. Try and check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5wwd...eature=related
Old 10-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Did they have old people walkers back in that time period?

Watched the original Conan a coupla years ago and thought it sucked all kinds of fucking balls. I still wanna see the reboot/remake/whatever that came out though. THIS movie? No thanks.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Infact, the best thing about Marcus Nispel's take on the Cimmerian is Cliff Linn's cut of End of the Universe in the actual trailer. It's awesome. The trailer music that is. And Ron Perlman's portrayal of his father was decent. Conan (2011) was very poorly written. And most fans are trying their best to pretend that it never existed. Sure, John Milius' Conan had its faults too. But so do all films. The remake of Conan is one of those things that happened, and we wish it didn't happen. Hopefully, Nispel got the message loud and clear. I hope to God he doesn't attempt a Kull The Konqueror remake.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 PM
God of War...let me get this straight. You're lampooning the robocop remake without even seeing a trailer, yet your on board for The Legend of Geriatric Conan? I love Schwarzenneger, but this is fucking ridiculous, even if we are meant to see his character in old age.

If there was ever one film that didn't need to be made...
Old 10-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Fact-The Robocop remake will suck. I don't need to see a trailer to know otherwise. And even then, if the trailer looks promising, that still doesn't guarantee a good movie. The Legend of Conan will be fun. I'm all for it. The same way I'm all for Arnie returning for a decent Terminator film. All of you people the who are putting crap on older actors, whether you're joking or not, seriously need to appreciate the older generation of good movie stars. Comments like "Geriatric" are completely unnecessary. Arnie still has it as far as I'm concerned. I love his movies. Always have. Always will. And I will go and see each and every single one of his films until the day he retires for good. And that day will be a sad day indeed. Arnie is one of the al-time absolute greats of action adventure movies. I own just about every movie he ever made on dvd.

If there was one film that didn't need to be made, it's that fucking retarded looking Robocop remake. Now that is, to quote you, "fucking ridiculous". One more thing. This new Conan will link directly from the original. I think that will work just fine. So, to quote you for a second time, I am "onboard". And I am willing to go out on a limb by also saying that you may very well go and see it. If not, then so what. If so, then ok. Either way, I don't care, but I am still excited to see what Arnie can do with this new project. Remakes sicken me for the most-part because they are nothing but worthless shit. At least this isn't a remake, but a long awaited sequel of sorts. Who knows. The whole thing may fall through as quickly as it came to light. But I hope not. I just wish that Milius was onboard in some capacity. Oh well.

Last edited by God of War; 10-28-2012 at 05:54 AM..
Old 10-28-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm not a fan of the original Conan. It's too serious and too slow. Quite the opposite of the sequel that is almost too goofy. As a kid I loved Destroyer (and it's spiritual successor Red Sonja). The remake was OK. I enjoyed it, but there is nothing that really makes it stand out.

The last decent movie Arnold did was Eraser back in 1996. His sudden resurge in popularity is more because of nostalgia than because of his latest movies. Old Conan might work, but I hope he skips being even older Terminator. Senior citizens in leather don't look cool.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
I hope to God he doesn't attempt a Kull The Konqueror remake.
Did you like the original Kull the Conqueror movie, GoW?
Old 10-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Fact-The Robocop remake will suck. I don't need to see a trailer to know otherwise. And even then, if the trailer looks promising, that still doesn't guarantee a good movie. The Legend of Conan will be fun. I'm all for it. The same way I'm all for Arnie returning for a decent Terminator film. All of you people the who are putting crap on older actors, whether you're joking or not, seriously need to appreciate the older generation of good movie stars. Comments like "Geriatric" are completely unnecessary. Arnie still has it as far as I'm concerned. I love his movies. Always have. Always will. And I will go and see each and every single one of his films until the day he retires for good. And that day will be a sad day indeed. Arnie is one of the al-time absolute greats of action adventure movies. I own just about every movie he ever made on dvd.

If there was one film that didn't need to be made, it's that fucking retarded looking Robocop remake. Now that is, to quote you, "fucking ridiculous". One more thing. This new Conan will link directly from the original. I think that will work just fine. So, to quote you for a second time, I am "onboard". And I am willing to go out on a limb by also saying that you may very well go and see it. If not, then so what. If so, then ok. Either way, I don't care, but I am still excited to see what Arnie can do with this new project. Remakes sicken me for the most-part because they are nothing but worthless shit. At least this isn't a remake, but a long awaited sequel of sorts. Who knows. The whole thing may fall through as quickly as it came to light. But I hope not. I just wish that Milius was onboard in some capacity. Oh well.
If there's one thing I've learned about remakes and reboots, it's that I've enjoyed at least a few of them, (Batman Begins, Dawn of The Dead) so I figure it's a good idea to remain somewhat open to the possibility that they could be enjoyable. At the same token, I think you have to be honest with yourself when an actor has passed his prime and can no longer portray a character without inspiring laughter and scrutiny in the audience.

It's no secret that arnold is in terrible shape these days. He's not Conan anymore, and the possibility of him reprising the terminator role is even more laughable. Sometimes, if you love something you have to let it go. Returning to something based on nostalgia only works under certain conditions. If you plan to reboot and recast an entire film, then you really aren't limiting yourself as far as action scenes go. What's Arnold got to offer now in the action department as old Conan?

The type of roles he should be accepting now are the type that play to his "seasoned" condition, like The Last Stand and The Tomb. It's too late for Arnold to relive his glory days in his classic roles. 2003's Terminator 3 was the last time he could ever reprise the Terminator role because that was the last time he was in even remotely good shape. That was nearly 10 years ago. Time to pass the torch and let it go.

There may be an audience for this thing, but it won't stop me from thinking this is a bad idea. This is especially true when you consider that Conan was rebooted quite recently, which makes this new entry about as necessary as the spiderman reboot, with or without Arnold.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
It's too late for Arnold to relive his glory days in his classic roles. 2003's Terminator 3 was the last time he could ever reprise the Terminator role because that was the last time he was in even remotely good shape. That was nearly 10 years ago. Time to pass the torch and let it go.
Just a correction, he was not in a "remotely good shape" in T3, he was in exactly the same shape he was in T2, down to the body mass and body fat. If he could do that at 50, 10 years later while he can't hit that anymore - he still looks built, and in no way like some crippling grandpa. He's aged, but he didn't age THAT badly. Personally, I think he looks good for his age. I see what you're saying, but he hasn't hit that laughability mark just yet

Old 10-28-2012, 03:31 PM
I have to admit he does look good in that promo pic, but it's because his hair fits his age. I don't know if it's a grey streak or a bald streak around his ears, but that makes him look cool.

This is an old dude in sunglasses:
Old 10-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Just a correction, he was not in a "remotely good shape" in T3, he was in exactly the same shape he was in T2, down to the body mass and body fat. If he could do that at 50, 10 years later while he can't hit that anymore - he still looks built, and in no way like some crippling grandpa. He's aged, but he didn't age THAT badly. Personally, I think he looks good for his age. I see what you're saying, but he hasn't hit that laughability mark just yet

Show me the article or something that proves he was in the same shape as T2 when he made T3. IMO, I don't think he was. I'm just going with what I can see, and I'm willing to admit my eyes could have been deceived, but for right now I think there was a major difference. The aging in his face is also another major problem with reprising the terminator role. It was noticeable in T3, and it's sure as shit going to be noticeable now. Also, show me a recent picture of Arnold with his shirt off. I could be wrong, but I don't think the image is going to be that flattering. I can recall that wrinkly shot of him in his bathingsuit while he was in office. All I could think of to say was "oh, how the mighty have fallen."

As ridiculous as Rocky 6 and Rambo 4 were, at least Stallone stayed in pretty decent shape.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Quote:
The aging in his face is also another major problem with reprising the terminator role.
Don't forget, The Terminator is a living organism except for the robotic endoskeleton. It sweats & has bad breath. It has to eat to provide nutrition to the living flesh. So there is no reason that it should not age as well.

Quote:
As ridiculous as Rocky 6 and Rambo 4 were, at least Stallone stayed in pretty decent shape.
I guess to each their own, because I thought Rocky 6 & Rambo 4 were some of the best films in those franchises. I loved both of those movies.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
Don't forget, The Terminator is a living organism except for the robotic endoskeleton. It sweats & has bad breath. It has to eat to provide nutrition to the living flesh. So there is no reason that it should not age as well.
That doesn't make any sense. Every time Arnold comes back as the terminator he portrays a different terminator with the same model. It's not like he was hanging around since the 80's the entire time, each terminator sent back that shared his design was terminated. The design of the T101 never changes, it's supposed to look like Arnold in his 30's. Therefore, I think it's going to look pretty strange when the T101 suddenly looks like a man in his 60's if/when Arnold reprises the role.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. Every time Arnold comes back as the terminator he portrays a different terminator with the same model. It's not like he was hanging around since the 80's the entire time, each terminator sent back that shared his design was terminated. The design of the T101 never changes, it's supposed to look like Arnold in his 30's. Therefore, I think it's going to look pretty strange when the T101 suddenly looks like a man in his 60's if/when Arnold reprises the role.
Exactly right on the money sir. He doesn't need to BE in another Terminator movie at all. I enjoyed the hell outta Terminator Salvation and it proved that Arnold isn't needed!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Come on man, put a little imagination into it. You're telling me that you can't imagine a future world where a T101 never went back in time? Maybe a future where the resistance reprograms a T101, they program it to learn (like in T2), and they keep it as protection for themselves. Then, as decades pass, the resistance loses. Mankind becomes extinct, and this old & very outdated T101 is all that is left of their memory.

We saw how much a Terminator can learn in T2, and that was within days. How much could it learn within decades? Would it get lonely? Would it take it upon itself to travel through time in an attempt to fix things?

There could be a million reasons why a T101 isn't terminated within its first few years of existence.

Last edited by Silverload; 10-30-2012 at 03:13 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Exactly right on the money sir. He doesn't need to BE in another Terminator movie at all. I enjoyed the hell outta Terminator Salvation and it proved that Arnold isn't needed!
Except technically Arnold did appear in the movie.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
I guess to each their own, because I thought Rocky 6 & Rambo 4 were some of the best films in those franchises. I loved both of those movies.
Rocky yes. Rambo no.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 AM

This is how he looked in T3.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Quote:

This is how he looked in T3.
I think they CGI'd his face on somebody else's body, and even then they fucked with his face.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I think they CGI'd his face on somebody else's body, and even then they fucked with his face.
That's what they did in Salvation, not Terminator 3.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
That's what they did in Salvation, not Terminator 3.
Salvation wasn't the third Terminator!?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:52 AM
While I enjoyed the Momoa movie, Arnold is Conan.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with this.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Come on man, put a little imagination into it. You're telling me that you can't imagine a future world where a T101 never went back in time? Maybe a future where the resistance reprograms a T101, they program it to learn (like in T2), and they keep it as protection for themselves. Then, as decades pass, the resistance loses. Mankind becomes extinct, and this old & very outdated T101 is all that is left of their memory.

We saw how much a Terminator can learn in T2, and that was within days. How much could it learn within decades? Would it get lonely? Would it take it upon itself to travel through time in an attempt to fix things?

There could be a million reasons why a T101 isn't terminated within its first few years of existence.
Why should anyone go to that much trouble trying to fit Arnold into the plot of a new terminator? First of all, this idea isn't very believable and the only reason why anyone would ever consider it is because of every terminator fan's undying love and appreciation for Arnold, (which I understand). Second of all, this idea isn't really imaginative at all. We've seen Arnold's model in 3 films, (4 if you count the CGI one) and we know that his particular model is only one small piece of a much larger machine army. Haven't they milked the T101 for all it's worth yet?

Salvation was a failure, but the writers behind it had the right idea concerning the continuation of the franchise. If they want to be imaginative, then they need to explore plot lines that don't involve the T101 at all.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Maybe a future where the resistance reprograms a T101, they program it to learn (like in T2), and they keep it as protection for themselves. Then, as decades pass, the resistance loses. Mankind becomes extinct, and this old & very outdated T101 is all that is left of their memory.
I'd see that movie.

Honestly, I have yet to see Salvation. I could care less if I ever see it. Schwarzenegger is The Terminator. He is the franchise. Without Schwarzenegger, you've got nothing. Salvation proved that.

But isn't the topic here Conan and not a movie that only hypothetically might happen?

Take what I said five lines up and replace the words 'The Terminator' with the word 'Conan', and the word 'Salvation' with the words 'The Remake'.

Now I'm on topic.