Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Blu-ray is clearly better than DVD. I don't know what any of you are talking about. There may be bad transfers but the resolution is still larger, which allows you to see details much better than on DVD, even on the most crappiest DVD transfers.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
I like my dvd collection but fuck blue-ray .... if dvd was a cute girl , BR is just a cute girl with big tits. I'm already in real digital and surfing the clouds.

so much money sunk into

NO MORE !!!
Geez that is a huge collection
At home l have a huge collection of VHS and Dvds
But Bluray is still new to me and what l have heard it is crap

maybe l need to fork out for a more expensive brand to get abit of quailty

Do you think it is better to get a expensive Bluray dvd player or do you think that a cheaper model is better
Old 10-20-2012, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Geez that is a huge collection
At home l have a huge collection of VHS and Dvds
But Bluray is still new to me and what l have heard it is crap

maybe l need to fork out for a more expensive brand to get abit of quailty

Do you think it is better to get a expensive Bluray dvd player or do you think that a cheaper model is better
So you have a bluray player or not?
Old 10-21-2012, 02:55 PM
I wasn't a fan until I got HD television. now I see what the difference is. but I grew up watching movies on a VCR, I think this new technology tends to impress the younger crowd more. us old school movie watchers take a while longer to catch on.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
So you have a bluray player or not?
Well at the momnet l dont have a Bluray dvd recorder
but the way things are going l will have to get one very soon
if l want to buy or rent dvds to watch
Old 10-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Blu-ray is clearly better than DVD. I don't know what any of you are talking about. There may be bad transfers but the resolution is still larger, which allows you to see details much better than on DVD, even on the most crappiest DVD transfers.
I agree..The worst transfer I own is Robocop which IMO still looks pretty decent...In fact the only DVD's I will buy are the seasons of TV shows because usually they are a lot cheaper then the Blu-Ray's
Old 10-28-2012, 03:18 PM
I own close to 400 blu rays and can definitely appreciate the difference in both picture and sound quality. I originally wanted nothing to do with the format until I bought a PS3, back during its original release (initially intended solely for the games). I wasn't wowed by Talladega Nights (the BD that came with it at the time) but over time, after calibrating my settings/reading up on bluray.com, I began to appreciate the difference between DVD and blu-ray. Old movies look fantastic, although you must understand that not every upgrade is a huge improvement. Films with amazing cinematography usually benefit the most, as well as solely digital films, and I'm glad to be on board the HD wagon.

EDIT: Btw it is not called a "Blu-ray DVD"... Blu-ray and DVD are two separate formats.

Last edited by ScaryFreak1827; 10-28-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Old 10-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFreak1827 View Post
I own close to 400 blu rays
Geezus man, I own two! Hah! That's some big fucking money you've put into a collection like that, awesome stuff boss!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Geezus man, I own two! Hah! That's some big fucking money you've put into a collection like that, awesome stuff boss!
Haha yeah I began collecting back in 2008 and with the crazy hours I work now I can afford a lot more.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm still only buying 3 kinds of films on Blu-ray:

1. my all-time favorite films
2. films that, in their DVD incarnation, were split over 2 discs/both sides of the same disc ("Lawrence of Arabia," "Doctor Zhivago," "Gangs of New York," the Directors Cut of "Kingdom of Heaven," etc.)
3. films that haven't been made available in DVD-only format for whatever reason ("The Tree of Life," "Shame," "Restless," "Another Year," etc.)

Blu-ray may look better than DVD, but it's really not necessary for some films (e.g. talky little indie films).
Old 10-29-2012, 09:13 PM
If the final cut of BLADE RUNNER in blu-ray can't covert someone, there is no hope
Old 11-21-2012, 02:16 AM
Every angle of the dvd/blu ray argument has been hit, my opinion goes along with what most have said already.

Depends on the movie (Evil Dead isn't a must buy on blu ray if I already own the ultimate 3 disc edition),

if I already own it

prices, and etc

One thing that doesn't get mentioned is the packaging, most blu rays come in smaller cases, packages which yes saves on shelf space but sometimes it's kind of sad. Point in case Mad Men, I have seasons 1-4 of the show and they whoever oversees the packaging making really do a good job on the fold out case, layout, I like it I'm a sucker for that stuff if the film or show deserves the goods. Now blu ray is on my shopping list this end of the year and I'd like to get season5 on blu ray but damn it's a skinny case, nothing big or grand about it.

Just a personal thing.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:37 PM
I've only got about 90 Blu Rays so far and I am actually being quite selective when it comes to buying them for example I will only buy movies I like, or if I respect the director and finally rewatchability comes into play.

I've traded a lot of my old format for blu ray upgrades and it was well worth it. I am happy I'm being selective with the titles because with my dvd collection, well it looked like it mostly belonged in a frat house (lot of dick and fart joke humor movies).

I am buying a lot of classics 70s on up and I have not been disappointed yet and some of the older movies are my favorite upgrades.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:49 PM
I only really get Blu-ray when I know it will be something special or 3D - yes, I am one of those that don't mind 3D. My favourite has to be How to Train Your Dragon - love that movie. The problem I find, is getting a BD disc you actually want. Because of the moronic regional coding, like the original poster, I am in Australia, we are not on the US Region A, which means you have to hope it is either a Region Free release or available Region B. Lots of the rarer and special releases are only Region A. The other thing that pi55es me off, is the new release compiling - in the past if you wanted the DVD - $25, BD - $30+. Now the BD comes with the DVD and an Ultra-violet copy and another version copy, so your $30 now are over $40. That really starts to bite, considering I only wanted the BD and am having to pay for crap I don't want or need.

My 2c

Cheers
Old 11-28-2012, 06:20 PM
after going to blu-ray. i can't even watch movies on dvd anymore. the difference is huge if the transfer done correctly like the transfer for ten commandments