#1  
Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Help and Recommendations From Gamer Scmoes

Hey friends.

I'm not a gamer, in any of the serious senses of that word. I've played videogames my whole life, but my knowledge and breadth of what I play is fairly limited. I'm competent at Call of Duty/Halo and the like, but don't love them. I like Madden, yes. I'm a basketball player and fan at heart, and I've worn grooves into NBA 2k12.

I was blessed to be given a 360. I play 2k12 and not much else. So my question, therefore, to all you gamer types...is game recommendations. I like the sports ones but there are inherent limits to them.

My taste: I loved Thief: The Dark Project on the PC. I liked that it was stealthy but didn't demand only stealth, and I liked the atmosphere and time period. I don't think I'd get into Mass Effect or Heavy Rain based on my limited (and perhaps inaccurate) impression that it's a lot of watching cutscenes and making choices around that less than playing. I certainly couldn't get into something like World of Warcraft but I'm not totally against RPG elements. I want something immersive, but my job is very demanding and I can't commit to something that requires 2 hour sessions every time. Flexibility is good.

My desires: cool atmosphere and sense of scope (any era or genre), exciting to play but not action-heavy to the point of dullnes like COD, or just anything you love and want to share. It doesn't have to be new or old, popular or unpopular (I'm more than okay with something older and cheaper that's worthwhile). Just share what you love and why. I'd love any help. I walk into Gamestop and get so overwhelmed.

And I realize all of this screams that I don't know what I'm talking about. That's why I'm asking you cool cats! Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 AM
What about a sandbox game? Sandbox games include GTA, Saints Row, Prototype, Infamous, etc. These usually aren't too cut-scene heavy, and offer a wide variety of game-play, and are incredibly immersive. I highly recommend Saints Row the Second, or Saints Row the Third (I haven't played number one).

I haven't played Thief, but it sounds to me like it's similar to Assassin's Creed. Look into that series, i think you'd dig it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-27-2012, 07:50 AM
I second smok3h's recommendation. Games like Red Dead Redemption, GTAIV, Saint's Row the Third and Assassin's Creed II are perfect for dropping in, playing a bit, and then doing something else to come back to it later.
For an RPG in the same vein, I highly recommend Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. I just picked it up this past week, and you very much can just do a couple of short quests and then go do something else. It's also got the most fun combat I've ever seen in an RPG.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 AM
My vote goes to Skyrim. I am hooked. Picked it up when it went on sale for $39/free shipping. Huge environment, so many story lines and you don't have to spend hours on it. Sometimes I play for 15 mins and just save when I hit a safe spot. Come back the next day, maybe play for an hour, then 30 mins the next day. I will admit I did spend like 6 hours on Sunday playing but that isn't the norm.

One thing I like, that I never did like about WoW is that you can go from Warrior to Rogue to Wizard very easily depending on how you want to play. Some days I like to bash and hack shit and some days I like to sneak around and take out the hardest bosses with my bow/arrow and never get touched during the encounter.

I have it on 360 but I think most seem to say get it on PC, if that is a choice for you I mean. I have a pc easily capable of playing it but I like the 42" screen hooked to my 360 better than my 20" monitor.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Heavy Rain isn't a sandbox game, but it's atmosphere-heavy and a very compelling experience. I would suggest it to any new gamer because it's so unorthodox and shows what games are capable of. It may not seem like your cup of tea but I'd still suggest trying it out.

The Yakuza series is also great, even though it can be a little over the top and overwhelming action-wise. It has a little bit of everything in it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:30 PM
If you liked the Halo games and want another FPS...

... maybe Crysis (on Xbox Live for download) and Crysis 2 (now $29.99 or less at most retailers)? The Crysis games, like the original Halo, have quite wide and open battlefields in where you can approach and attack enemies in a number of ways. You can proceed with stealth or go into hot areas guns blazing. You can maneuver across the terrain in a number of vehicles or go in by foot. And the graphics and environment are quite lush and beautiful. It's very much a pick up and play type of game. Only negative is that the storyline bridging Crysis 1 and 2 is a bit messy and confusing. But the campaigns last a good 10-12 hours a piece, which is nice for a modern shooter since the standard seems to be 4-5 hours for most games. Another cool thing-especially true with Crysis 2, is that there's never a cutscene in which you won't be in control of your characters movements (although I think Crysis 1 has a few slightly scripted cutscenes where your head is directed on a specific
location or person).

Also, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a fantastic sci-fi RPG that allows you a lot of room to get creative as well when it comes down to the gameplay. You don't need to spend hours playing this one at a time either. You can just pick it up for thiry minutes and play a mission or two, in the fashion that you want to, proceed a little bit in the story and then put it down for later.

Last edited by FireCaptain4; 03-27-2012 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-29-2012, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
If you liked the Halo games and want another FPS...

... maybe Crysis (on Xbox Live for download) and Crysis 2 (now $29.99 or less at most retailers)? The Crysis games, like the original Halo, have quite wide and open battlefields in where you can approach and attack enemies in a number of ways. You can proceed with stealth or go into hot areas guns blazing. You can maneuver across the terrain in a number of vehicles or go in by foot. And the graphics and environment are quite lush and beautiful. It's very much a pick up and play type of game. Only negative is that the storyline bridging Crysis 1 and 2 is a bit messy and confusing. But the campaigns last a good 10-12 hours a piece, which is nice for a modern shooter since the standard seems to be 4-5 hours for most games. Another cool thing-especially true with Crysis 2, is that there's never a cutscene in which you won't be in control of your characters movements (although I think Crysis 1 has a few slightly scripted cutscenes where your head is directed on a specific
location or person).

Also, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a fantastic sci-fi RPG that allows you a lot of room to get creative as well when it comes down to the gameplay. You don't need to spend hours playing this one at a time either. You can just pick it up for thiry minutes and play a mission or two, in the fashion that you want to, proceed a little bit in the story and then put it down for later.
I loved all of the games you mentioned. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is fucking terrific, and has a bomb-ass soundtrack.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is fucking terrific, and has a bomb-ass soundtrack.
Agreed all the way. I also dig some of Crysis 2's soundtrack, part of which was the work of Hans Zimmer.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the help, fellers. Very useful.

I picked up Red Dead and Skyrim. I have played GTA on the older consoles and dug them, and the Western theme is one I like. I'm also going through season 1 of Game of Thrones, and while I'm not generally a fantasy dude I am digging it, and that attracted me to Skyrim. I've never really played a legit RPG before, so color me intrigued. I'll keep you guys posted, but feel free to offer any other suggestions. Again, thanks much, and I'll buy you all a beer at the next Joblo convention.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Sure, if you have any questions on Skyrim give me a shout.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMaster View Post
... if you have any questions on Skyrim give me a shout.
A ...

[wait for it]

...

DRAGON shout?!


Last edited by FireCaptain4; 03-29-2012 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-30-2012, 01:55 PM
ba dum tss!

I actually did chuckle though.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
ba dum tss!

I actually did chuckle though.

Haha yea he got me too
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-31-2012, 03:00 PM
AceD if you enjoy Skyrim you should check out Fallout 3, it's basically the same formula set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Very fun game.

If you're a Batman fan you should pick up Batman: Arkham Asylum, it's a very cool brawler that really immerses you in the Batman universe.

If you're interested in a survival horror game or if you're a fan of films like Alien(s) and The Thing you should check out Dead Space. It's intense, scary, and atmospheric, one of my favorite new franchises.

And... that's all I got. I'm not a big console gamer, I prefer PC gaming, especially with FPS games, I find the mouse and keyboard to be much more precise for aiming.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-04-2012, 10:51 PM
So I finally started Skyrim.

I like it. As I said, I've never done the RPG thing. I'm not very far in at all, but it's fun so far in ways I didn't expect.

A few questions for you experts:

1. So far I've retrieved the Dragonstone-thing, a few random quests and fought my first dragon through the main storyline. What should I do now? I realize the whole gist of the game is to "do whatever you want!" but I'd love to hear any specific ideas... should I pursue the main storyline, join one of the guilds, just tool around and find random quests? Someone gave me the advice to walk as much as possible rather than fast-travel, and I've found that both fun and useful. And I save all the time. But what should I do now?

2. Should I buy a house? If so, where?

3. I have no idea what the hell to do with perks and leveling-up points. Again, I'm an RPG noob. My play style has been mostly archery, one-handed weapons and the fire magic that you start out with. I haven't done a lot of sneaking. Not because I don't like it, just haven't done it (and again I've mostly been just running around the countryside and running into people and I'm not sure if it's worth risking getting caught robbing people... is it?)

That's more than 3 questions, really. I'll stop for now. Again, I do like the exploration aspect of the game and I'm not looking for a total coaching into what to do, but I'm interested if anyone has specific ideas on what might be most fun for me. Thanks dudes.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
1. So far I've retrieved the Dragonstone-thing, a few random quests and fought my first dragon through the main storyline. What should I do now? I realize the whole gist of the game is to "do whatever you want!" but I'd love to hear any specific ideas... should I pursue the main storyline, join one of the guilds, just tool around and find random quests? Someone gave me the advice to walk as much as possible rather than fast-travel, and I've found that both fun and useful. And I save all the time. But what should I do now?

2. Should I buy a house? If so, where?

3. I have no idea what the hell to do with perks and leveling-up points. Again, I'm an RPG noob. My play style has been mostly archery, one-handed weapons and the fire magic that you start out with. I haven't done a lot of sneaking. Not because I don't like it, just haven't done it (and again I've mostly been just running around the countryside and running into people and I'm not sure if it's worth risking getting caught robbing people... is it?)

That's more than 3 questions, really. I'll stop for now. Again, I do like the exploration aspect of the game and I'm not looking for a total coaching into what to do, but I'm interested if anyone has specific ideas on what might be most fun for me. Thanks dudes.
If you really want to get the most out of the game, it's better to do some side quests. I had an issue with a bug that prevented me from continuing the Companions storyline, one that I could've avoided had I done the mission earlier. If you want to do that one, I suggest you do it before you get deep into the whole Stormcloak-Imperial storyline.

When you have the money, buy a house. If you get married, you'll have somewhere to go and it's a great place to store your stuff, which you can eventually sell off to buy a bigger house.

Skyrim is a great, great game. Definitely addictive if you don't watch out. Two bits of advice, though. To enjoy the whole experience, you have to learn how to maneuver around some of the bugs. Not easy, but the best thing you can do is NOT kill random people walking around in the city, unless they attack you first. Also, and this part isn't always the easiest, but you'll want to think IN CHARACTER when you're making decisions. Is your guy moral, amoral, in-between?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Great thoughts, Brando. Regarding the morality thing... is it ALWAYS the morally correct thing to kill those who attack me (thieves, random people guarding towers, etc) or are there times I should not kill them? And when people stop me and demand a payment/bribe, what should I do?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
Great thoughts, Brando. Regarding the morality thing... is it ALWAYS the morally correct thing to kill those who attack me (thieves, random people guarding towers, etc) or are there times I should not kill them? And when people stop me and demand a payment/bribe, what should I do?
Generally, I was nice to people in conversation and did the moral thing, but I don't appreciate it when people try to use magic on me or attack me. Dragonborn can be moral, but he shouldn't be a chump. If some forsworn bandits or wizard coven attacks you, return the favor.

The payment/bribe thing largely depends on the situation. My best advice is to assess the situation each time and not get too stubborn in your thinking. Even if you're a moral character, which I imagine you would be, it's not worth getting in a tussle over every time. Sometimes bribing is a good thing because the guards either have information or can make a past misdemeanor disappear.

Oh, and final bit of advice. Remember that there are a number of guilds and groups in the game. You can choose your allegiances. Don't let minor characters (especially in non-essential storylines) boss you around and make you do something you don't feel is in-character or even worth your time as a gamer.

Last edited by Brando @$$ Fat; 08-06-2012 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Borderlands and borderlands 2 is coming out soon.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
AceD if you enjoy Skyrim you should check out Fallout 3, it's basically the same formula set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Very fun game.

If you're a Batman fan you should pick up Batman: Arkham Asylum, it's a very cool brawler that really immerses you in the Batman universe.

If you're interested in a survival horror game or if you're a fan of films like Alien(s) and The Thing you should check out Dead Space. It's intense, scary, and atmospheric, one of my favorite new franchises.

And... that's all I got. I'm not a big console gamer, I prefer PC gaming, especially with FPS games, I find the mouse and keyboard to be much more precise for aiming.
I 2nd these and also recommend Darksiders
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 AM
I loved BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM but I hated BORDERLANDS.

To each their own. I played BORDERLANDS on the PC and I think a lot of what I hated was not just the game itself, but the actual port of the format from console to PC. It was lazy and just plain shitty.

FALLOUT 3 is like mentioned above; it's essentially Elder Scrolls 3. Not that it's bad, but if you like Skyrim then Fallout 3 might be worth it.

BATMAN, on the other hand, is awesome for the PC. Excellent port. So is the sequel, even though it's more of the same. That's alright as long as you think you'd love doing the same thing from the first game over again.
Mark Hamill as the Joker is my favorite version. I love his take on it. It's as if every single line he spews in the game and the cartoon is by a man that is in on a joke nobody else knows about, and he's just about to spill the punchline... and doesn't. He's crazy, maniacal, smart and insidious all at once.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Skyrim question, and it's probably a stupid one, but... people keep telling me I look sick. Am I? How do I get better?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
Skyrim question, and it's probably a stupid one, but... people keep telling me I look sick. Am I? How do I get better?
Go to one of the stones and get a blessing. Or drink some Potion of Cure Disease, which are pretty much available anywhere.

This usually happens if a spider or a large cat attacks you. In the case of the former, it seems to always happen. Spiders suck.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 PM
More Skyrim questions, fellers...

I'm a level 10. I have like 5 perk points I haven't spent because I'm not sure how to and don't want to make a mistake.

I'll get a quest that says something like go kill the leader of this group of rebels (the guys who wear the huge antler-things (I'm sure referring to them this way offends you real gamers, and I'm sincerely sorry), and I can go and find him in his cave or whatever, but I just get annihilated and killed. So.

Do I need to level up and sneak around and get him? Should I avoid that quest until much later? Do disguises ever work in the game? I.e. can I put on the antlers and an outfit and march right up to him and cap him?

Essentially, I feel lost. Most of my time playing is just running around the countryside taking in the views. If a tiger or bear or bandits come after me I usually outrun them unless I feel I can kill them easily. Again, I just feel lost. I'm having fun, which is what matters, but I feel like I'm missing something.

My absolute favorite moment was when a Khajit attacked me and had a note on him saying I needed to be killed. Is that totally random to make me feel like a badass or is there an actual story there?

Also, how do I get started on the Assassin's guild line or whatever? Or what line of quests would you reccomend, and where should I start?

Sorry that I'm an offensive noob. Again, I am having fun.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
More Skyrim questions, fellers...

I'm a level 10. I have like 5 perk points I haven't spent because I'm not sure how to and don't want to make a mistake.
There are a limited # of skill pts you get in the game and you are not able to full lvl all the trees so its best to pick what works for your play style and go from there. I played a straight up warrior type character and decided to pick 5-6 trees to lvl up. I picked Heavy Armor, Blocking, One Handed Weapon, Smithing, Archery and restoration Magic. The idea is that i'm a heavy armored shield ans sword user that can get in a distance hit form my Bowe and also heal myself and make armor.

If you're playing more a rogue style you would want to lvl Light Armor instead of Heavy etc. Whatever you choose though Smithing should be one of them. Its only 1 tree and you either go up the left side for Light Armor sets or up the right side from Heavy armor sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
I'll get a quest that says something like go kill the leader of this group of rebels (the guys who wear the huge antler-things (I'm sure referring to them this way offends you real gamers, and I'm sincerely sorry), and I can go and find him in his cave or whatever, but I just get annihilated and killed. So.

Do I need to level up and sneak around and get him? Should I avoid that quest until much later? Do disguises ever work in the game? I.e. can I put on the antlers and an outfit and march right up to him and cap him?
I would try spending your skill pts in comething like One Handed to boost your overall damage then try it out again. If it's still tough you may need to try some different tactics. It could also be just one of the baddies that hits like a truck, its sort of a balance problem in Skyrim. The worst are the Dwarven Golems, they hit so hard that i usually try to get on a perch and Arrow them down.

Disguises only work in quest specific situations. So there will be a handful of quests where you are actually given a costume to wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
Essentially, I feel lost. Most of my time playing is just running around the countryside taking in the views. If a tiger or bear or bandits come after me I usually outrun them unless I feel I can kill them easily. Again, I just feel lost. I'm having fun, which is what matters, but I feel like I'm missing something.

My absolute favorite moment was when a Khajit attacked me and had a note on him saying I needed to be killed. Is that totally random to make me feel like a badass or is there an actual story there?
This is the one sort of downside of the Elder Scrolls games, if they don't give enough direction it can be easy to just end up running around, Oblivion was really bad for this. Unfortunately they don't do the whole "mark it on your map" for general quest givers so it can be tough. One thing i do is i'll be exploring but i will be heading to an actual undiscovered location on my map. That way i have some sort of objective, oft times you'll get a quest and if nothing else you might get some cool loot or need to find that place later form a quest and can just fast travel there, love those times.

As for that Khajit, that is a running sort of mini quest through out the Elder Scrolls games. You've probably helped a certain faction enough to be made enemies of a rival one and every so often you'll run into these ppl and fight them. I recall in Morrowind there was a qeust that got you on some sort of assassination list and every time you rested you had the chance of waking up to some ninja trying to shiv ya, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
Also, how do I get started on the Assassin's guild line or whatever? Or what line of quests would you reccomend, and where should I start?

Sorry that I'm an offensive noob. Again, I am having fun.
Not sure about the Assassins guild, if its part of the "theives" guild or separate (in Morrowind they were two different guilds). But i think its in one of the cities (can't recall which) that has a sort of plaza square with 3 or 4 vendors around it. One of them is a guy who asks you if you're interested in helping him out, something to do with stealing something and planting it on someone else, but that may just be the thieves guild.

Hope that helped.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 PM
Hey fellas!

So I put down Skyrim for a while (at level 12) because life got in the way, but I'm looking to get back into it for a bit. I still feel lost, but I'm still enjoying it. My new question: I've read up a bit on becoming a thief/assassin and want to pursue that... should I start over or just start doing those things with my current character? What are the plusses and minuses?

I know I could research this online, but I'm sincerely interested in your guys' thoughts. Also any recommendations of newer games would be appreciated.

Again, sorry to be a total hobnob about this stuff.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump