Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Paul Thomas Anderson vs. Quentin Tarantino

Two great friends and in my opinion the only two writer/directors talented enough to be compared to each other...

I've been on a huge PTA kick recently - and I've been on a QT kick for about eight years. Although these two guys are of course completely different and blazingly original talents, all of their features show two filmmakers steeped deeply in knowledge of cinema history.

I could never choose between my two favorite filmmakers of all time, but perhaps The Master (my most anticipated film of the year) vs. Django Unchained (#2) later this year will shed some light on this incredibly sticky subject.

Let the discussion of two geniuses begin.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Funnily enough, these two are best friends.

I personally think Tarantino is the more talented of the two, but I think Anderson has been making better films overall (although nothing he's made is as good as Pulp Fiction). Anderson's films are a little more ambitious, thought-provoking and character driven than Tarantino's recent efforts, so I give him the edge. Either way though, they are 1 and 2 when it comes to the best filmmakers under 50.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:37 PM
QT by default. I have only seen there will be blood by PTA that is one of the greatest dramas of all time. I enjoy most of QT filmwork.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:41 PM
PTA by far for me. He's made two films in my top 20 favourite movies with Magnolia and Boogie Nights. QT hasn't made anything near as impressive or memorable as those two films.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Right now...it's Tarantino.

Although when all is said and done, I have a feeling it could be Anderson. I can only go off "There Will Be Blood" and the two (phenomenal) trailers for "The Master", but PTA seems to be entering a new stage in his career - one where he can proudly where the label "modern master" or "one of the best".
Old 07-12-2012, 11:34 PM
1.) Pulp Fiction -10/10
2.) Magnolia -10/10
3.) There Will Be Blood -10/10
4.) Jackie Brown -10/10
5.) Boogie Nights -9/10
6.) Kill Bill: Volume 1 -9/10
7.) Reservoir Dogs -8/10
8.) Kill Bill: Volume 2 -8/10
9.) Hard Eight -8/10
10.) Inglourious Basterds -7.5/10
11.) Punch Drunk Love -6/10
12.) Death Proof -6/10

Pulp Fiction is better than anything PT's made, but Magnolia and There Will Be Blood are not far behind and are leagues better than anything else QT's made since Jackie Brown 15 years ago. I think Anderson has now proven himself the more talented director and where QT may have once had the edge as the best working screenwriter, his last several scripts have had a lot of problems, especially with the dialogue that was their signature.

Ultimately it goes to Anderson because Tarantino's last 4 and next movie have all been variations on the same movie - revenge genre pic steeped in 70s exploitation homage - itself a variation on other movies, and Anderson has shown incredible ambition and success at making wildly different pictures that are still very much his own. Anderson has and continues to grow while Tarantino remains stunted and may even be devolving.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 07-15-2012 at 02:50 AM..
Old 07-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Tarantino:

Reservoir Dogs - 9/10
Pulp Fiction - 10/10
Jackie Brown - 8/10
Kill Bill Volume 1 - 8/10
Kill Bill Volume 2 - 8/10
Death Proof - 4/10
Inglourious Basterds - 7/10

PTA:

Boogie Nights - 8/10
Magnolia - 9/10
Punch-Drunk Love - 8/10
There Will Be Blood - 8/10

Pretty tough. On one hand, PTA hasn't made a bad movie. Or even a mediocre one. Whereas, Tarantino has Death Proof which is mediocre bordering on being flat out bad. On the other hand, Magnolia is PTA's best movie and I would definitely rank Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs a head of it.

I'm going with Tarantino because even though Death Proof I did not like and even though I enjoyed it, nonetheless I was underwhelmed with Inglourious Basterds, it's a testament to how much I love Fiction, Dogs and the Kill Bill movies that is why I'm picking him.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
Pulp Fiction is better than anything PT's made, but Magnolia and There Will Be Blood are not far behind and are leagues better than anything else QT's made since Jackie Brown 15 years ago. I think Anderson has now proved himself as the more talented director and where QT may have once had the edge as the best working screenwriter, his last several scripts have had a lot of problems, especially with the dialogue that was their signature.

Ultimately it goes to Anderson because Tarantino's last 4 and next movie have all been variations on the same movie - revenge genre pic steeped in 70s exploitation homage - itself a variation on other movies, and Anderson has shown incredible ambition and succeeding at making wildly different pictures that are still very much his own. Anderson has and continues to grow while Tarantino remains stunted and may even be devolving.
The best response by far.

Anderson's best movie is probably still ahead of him. Tarantino is a lot less likely.

Django will probably be better than Bastards, but not as good as Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:34 AM
PTA, no question. Magnolia reigns supreme for me.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:02 AM
PTA, but love both and will watch anything either make.

1. There Will Be Blood (10/10)
2. Punch-Drunk Love (10/10)
3. Inglorious Basterds (10/10)
4. Magnolia (9/10)
5. Kill Bill Vol 2 (9/10)
6. Boogie Nights (9/10)
7. Kill Bill Vol 1 (9/10)
8. Pulp Fiction (9/10)
9. Reservoir Dogs (8/10)
10. Jackie Brown (8/10)
11. Hard Eight (8/10)
12. Death Proof (7/10)

Last edited by Hucksta G; 07-13-2012 at 02:04 AM..
Old 07-13-2012, 06:16 AM
Not a fan of Tarantino. Pulp Fiction wasn't the worst experience I've had watching a movie in terms of thinking "oh my god when will this be over!" but it ranks pretty high up there with some other clunkers. Some of the acting was decent but nothing too memorable. Same goes for Inglorious Basterds. Somewhat better movie, decent acting, but overall not so hot. Haven't seen any other Tarantino movies as the 0 for 2 has set a bad precedent for me. I'm open minded but none of his other stuff strikes me as something i'd like.

I prefer Anderson. There Will Be Blood is great all around. Boogie Nights is o.k. but I don't have the same love for it that others do. The Master looks great though. Hopefully it will be sufficiently different from There Will Be Blood as there are obvious similarities and it would be disappointing to see Anderson's five year break not result in something fresh.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Tarantino's one of my favorite filmmakers, so I'll go with him. I love his style, his writing, and his love for classic cinema and how he incorporates that love into his movies. I think his passion for the classic cinema is more obvious in his movies than PTA. PTA definitely has talent, but I think his movies have more of a flare for symbolism and character (and character relationships) than QT's.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Tarantino:

1. Pulp Fiction (10/10)
2. Jackie Brown (9/10)
3. Reservoir Dogs (9/10)
4. Inglourious Basterds (8/10)
5. Kill Bill Vol. 2 (5/10)
6. Kill Bill Vol. 1 (5/10)
7. Death Proof (3/10)

Anderson:

1. There Will Be Blood (10/10)
2. Boogie Nights (9/10)
3. Punch-Drunk Love (8/10)
4. Hard Eight (8/10)
5. Magnolia (5/10)

In terms of output in the past decade, my choice would be Anderson, but overall, I'd probably give the slight edge to Tarantino. This could change over the next few years, though, because I find it hard to imagine Anderson ever making a movie as awful as Death Proof.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Very difficult choice but I gotta go with Tarantino
Old 07-14-2012, 02:52 PM
QT has been regressing. PTA has been progressing. Personally I give a lot of points for ambition, and PTA now has the edge by a thousand miles.

1.) Pulp Fiction -10/10
2.) There Will Be Blood -10/10

3.) Punch Drunk Love -9/10
4.) Jackie Brown - 9/10
5.) Boogie Nights -9/10

6.) Inglourious Basterds -8/10
7.) Kill Bill: Volume 2 -8/10
8.) Kill Bill: Volume 1 -8/10
9.) Reservoir Dogs -8/10

10.) Hard Eight -7/10 (though excellent for a freshman effort)

11.) Magnolia - 6/10

12.) Death Proof -4/10
Old 07-14-2012, 10:10 PM
like comparing an apple to an orange
Old 07-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Quentin > PTA

I don't understand the hate towards Death Proof, I thought it was underrated.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:57 PM
PTA slight edge over Quentin.

Without a doubt, the best two directors of our time (with a nod to Martin Scorsese & Clint Eastwood...although they're both past their prime).
Kubrick is still the best of all time in my eyes but PTA and Quentin aren't far behind now.
I also have to give a nod to Christopher Nolan for being the best "blockbuster-type" director now.

Here's my list from the movies I've seen by them.

PTA

1. There Will Be Blood
2. Punch-Drunk Love
3. Magnolia
4. Hard Eight
5. Boogie Nights

Tarantino

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. (tie) Kill Bill #1 / Kill Bill #2
5. Jackie Brown
6. Reservoir Dogs

Last edited by lenbrick; 07-17-2012 at 02:02 PM..
Old 07-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
Quentin > PTA

Same here..I didn't care for it the first time I saw it but I really enjoyed it the 2nd time around..I actually prefer this over Planet Terror
Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
It was overwritten with too much dialogue being it's main downfall. It would have faired better as a short film. That and the action sequences are too far and in between. I was disappointed with Kurt Russell turning into a vagina when the shits flipped on him rather than sticking to his guns with the car maniac gimmick.

Not a Tarantino fan so PT by far. I didn't see the genuis behind Hard Eight and I thought Punch Drunk Love was horrible. His movies are pretty solid though other than that.

Last edited by SL Dubbs; 07-18-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Old 07-19-2012, 03:27 PM
PTA's gotten better with every film he's made. Even though I wish he made films more frequently, I'm glad each offering is so incredibly well done.

There Will Be Blood- 10/10
Pulp Fiction- 9.5/10
Boogie Nights- 9.5/10
Punch Drunk Love- 9.5/10
Magnolia- 9/10
Reservoir Dogs- 9/10
Death Proof- 8.5/10
The Master- 8.5/10
Django Unchained- 8.5/10
Hard Eight- 8.5/10
Inglorious Basterds- 8.5/10
Jackie Brown- 8/10
Kill Bill Volume 1- 7/10
Kill Bill Volume 2- 7/10

Last edited by Kevin Smith fan; 01-04-2013 at 02:25 PM..
Old 07-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
Pulp Fiction is better than anything PT's made, but Magnolia and There Will Be Blood are not far behind and are leagues better than anything else QT's made since Jackie Brown 15 years ago. I think Anderson has now proven himself the more talented director and where QT may have once had the edge as the best working screenwriter, his last several scripts have had a lot of problems, especially with the dialogue that was their signature.

Ultimately it goes to Anderson because Tarantino's last 4 and next movie have all been variations on the same movie - revenge genre pic steeped in 70s exploitation homage - itself a variation on other movies, and Anderson has shown incredible ambition and success at making wildly different pictures that are still very much his own. Anderson has and continues to grow while Tarantino remains stunted and may even be devolving.
Very well put. Like Matchbox, totally agree with your points (though I put Magnolia and There Will Be Blood ahead of Pulp Fiction).
Old 08-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Quentin Tarantino, by a lot.

PTA really impressed me with Boogie Nights and Punch-Drunk Love, but Magnolia was a sprawling mess, Hard Eight was only okay, and There Will Be Blood was completely mixed: some wonderful technical filmmaking marred by pacing and focus issues and an undercooked screenplay. Tarantino, on the other hand, has no film I consider any less than "very good" (including the much maligned Death Proof), and I think Pulp Fiction easily better than any PTA film, with Inglourious Basterds and Kill Bill Vol. 1 almost as good.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Not a fan of Tarantino. Pulp Fiction wasn't the worst experience I've had watching a movie in terms of thinking "oh my god when will this be over!" but it ranks pretty high up there with some other clunkers. Some of the acting was decent but nothing too memorable. Same goes for Inglorious Basterds. Somewhat better movie, decent acting, but overall not so hot. Haven't seen any other Tarantino movies as the 0 for 2 has set a bad precedent for me. I'm open minded but none of his other stuff strikes me as something i'd like.

I prefer Anderson. There Will Be Blood is great all around. Boogie Nights is o.k. but I don't have the same love for it that others do. The Master looks great though. Hopefully it will be sufficiently different from There Will Be Blood as there are obvious similarities and it would be disappointing to see Anderson's five year break not result in something fresh.

I dont know how to copy others thread but this is to: EKEROT

If your not a fan of Tarantino, than I'd love to hear who you are then. To put PF, in with other " Clunkers" is truely a distaste to a masterpiece. QT's is a master of all NON-LINEAR story telling and if you can't see his genius. I have to question your knowledge/taste.

Last edited by RagingFellaDriver16; 08-08-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Old 08-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Tarintino

1. Jackie Brown - 9/10
2. Pulp Fiction - 9/10
3. Kill Bill (Vol. 1 & 2) - 9/10
4. Inglourious Basterds - 9/10
5. Reservoir Dogs - 8/10

Anderson

1. Magnolia - 10/10
2. There Will Be Blood - 10/10
3. Punch-Drunk Love - 9/10
4. Boogie Nights - 9/10
5. Hard Eight - 8/10

My vote goes for Anderson, and it's not even close. I enjoy Tarintino a lot, but none of his work has (or I think ever will) shook me to the bone in the way something like Magnolia or There Will Be Blood has.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Tough call. Kind of like comparing a bad ass Camaro SS muscle car to a perfectly engineered BMW M3. Both get you there and do it in style but just hard to compare which is best.

Tarantino (the muscle car) would probably be my pick though. I love the body of work from PTA but I think Tarantino has just shown me more and given a better ride =)
Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 PM
speaking of Magnolia being a mess(I actually liked it a lot) at the beginning does pt anderson really believe those urban legends are true? it seems like he is saying that weird things happen in life but none of those things he mentions actually happened. can anyone clarify this?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 AM
PT by a nose.

Both are very talented but PT hasnt made a bad film imo while Tarantino made Death Proof(just an awful film all around) so PT gets the edge.

Last edited by echo_bravo; 10-31-2012 at 08:42 PM..
Old 08-17-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm with echo. Both are by far my top two filmmakers who started working after I was born, but I'm not sure which one I would pick if I had to so I'll leave it until the end of the year to decide.

Must say that with both of these geniuses releasing new movies, a new Daniel Day-Lewis performance and a new Bond, this is the most excited I've been for end of the year film in a while.

Spoiler:
and Killing Them Softly!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Hey guys! Now let's discuss who the best painter is!! Rembrandt vs. Bellows?!?! How about music? Cohen vs. Brahms?!?! Who's winning???!?!?!?
What the fuck? Can anyone here appreciate art without reducing it to a numerical death match? No wonder the rest of the civilized world thinks we are pompous, mouth-breathing idiots.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 AM
I would have to say Quentin Tarantino by default since the only experience I have with Paul Thomas Anderson is the bits of Punch-Drunk Love I've seen. I wasn't in love with it, but it was good. The Master is a film I'm really anticipating, so I'll try to get in as much of his filmography as I can before that movie comes out, starting with Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood which seem to be revered as his best works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindle1977 View Post
Hey guys! Now let's discuss who the best painter is!! Rembrandt vs. Bellows?!?! How about music? Cohen vs. Brahms?!?! Who's winning???!?!?!?
What the fuck? Can anyone here appreciate art without reducing it to a numerical death match? No wonder the rest of the civilized world thinks we are pompous, mouth-breathing idiots.
Um . . . we CAN discuss who the best painter is or who the best musician is. It's not a numerical death match, we're just explaining whose brand of art we prefer and why.

Who is "we" when you call us "mouth-breathing idiots"? Movie fans? I've never heard of that stereotype. You may breathe through your nose just fine, but you're kind of the biggest idiot here. We're trying to have an intelligent discussion, but I suppose you're against that because it's too difficult for you to keep up.

Last edited by magjournal; 08-22-2012 at 04:33 PM..
Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Art and numerical death matches go hand-in-hand. You can't have one without the other. So, with that being said...

Bellows and Cohen.

Last edited by blankpage; 08-22-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:

Sounds like someone needs a timeout? Did you have a bad day at school sweetie? You need a nap? Mommy come rub your tummy and make you feel better?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 PM
I really like both but PTA takes this hand down. IMO, he is the best working right now. There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights are both exceptional films, easily top 5 of the past 20 years (There Will Be Blood is the best of the past 20-30 years and in my top 5 of all time). Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Bastards are all very good films but not in the same league as There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights. IMO Fincher is closer to PTA but still not quite as good.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:51 AM
1.Pulp Fiction 10/10

2.Reservoir Dogs 10/10

3.Boogie Nights 10/10

4.Inglorious Basterds 10/10

5.Kill Bill Vol 1&2 9/10

6.Magnolia 9/10

7.Jackie Brown 9/10

8.There Will Be Blood 9/10

9.Hard Eight 8/10

10.The Master 8/10

11.Death Proof 7/10

12.Punch-Drunk 7.5/10
Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Tarantino, shamefully haven't seen enough of PTA's work to make an accurate comparison though...
Old 11-03-2012, 06:57 AM
QT

Reservoir Dogs 10/10
Pulp Fiction 10/10
Jackie Brown 10/10
Kill Bill Vol.1 10/10
Kill Bill Vol.2 8/10
Death Proof 7/10
Ingloriuos Basterds 10/10
Django Unchained N/A (Looks fuckin' amazing)

VS.

PTA

Hard Eight 7/10
Boogie Nights 10/10
Magnolia 8/10
Punch-Drunk Love 7/10
There Will Be Blood 10/10
The Master 6/10

QT very easy.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Quentin all day long over PTA. However There Will Be Blood & Boogie Nights are great fucking films.