Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Horror Movie talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 05:37 AM
What films truly scared you the most?

I mean you felt uncomfortable. Not just a jump scare, but you truly came close to sleeping with the lights on, or not at all. The problem is, I'm 24 now, 25 in a month. Hence, very little truly terrifies me at this point.

I just watched Paranormal Activity 3 (skipped 2, 1 was meh) and while I didn't get *scared* I appreciated the effort and the finale with the cult was genuinely creepy.

The original Halloween still makes me uncomfortable. The Saws entertain me but I'm never actually scared. V/H/S came close to that feeling, but didn't quite hit the home run. Etc.

So, I put it to you- what films have come closest to successfully scaring the shit out of you? I'm looking to regret watching a movie it scares me so badly.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Open water was one of the movies that has managed to scare me psychologically. I don't think I've ever been so scared from a movie that I slept with the lights on but it did scare me.

the orphanage had me turn around once or twice haha
Old 10-25-2012, 07:41 PM
I would have to say "May" -2002, it was something that I could see me meeting a girl like that, and not see that coming. Also another is Candyman I never was afraid of the movies, I just find it taboo to say that name in front of a mirror 3 times, which is funny!
americanmoviefan As for the Paranormal Activity movies arn't really scary it was just it's tone that worked I enjoyed the first a lot, it's a shame you didn't like it. I know my brother's girl friend, (that is when I let my brother borrow my dvd of it), she didn't want that dvd in the house because she thought it was possessed, I would say her's would be that, on this list. As for the second one I love the part with the Pool Vacuum which is priceless its worth watching just that part and that's about it. I haven't seen 3 and 4.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Good fred!!!!

The Exorcist - caught up with this one in an old creaky house that was in the middle of a large orchard! Yeah the effects haven't aged well but the general tone and atmosphere got me!

The Ring - Not sure why, can watch both The Ring and Ring movies without issue now but was unnerved by first viewing. Strangely didn't have the same issue with Ju-On.

Paranormal Activity - packed Aussie cinema, chicks screaming, people running out of the cinema, hell yeah it was awesome!

predator_silver, PA 3 is worth a look, haven't caught the fourth one yet.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryMinds View Post
Good fred!!!!

The Exorcist - caught up with this one in an old creaky house that was in the middle of a large orchard! Yeah the effects haven't aged well but the general tone and atmosphere got me!

The Ring - Not sure why, can watch both The Ring and Ring movies without issue now but was unnerved by first viewing. Strangely didn't have the same issue with Ju-On.

Paranormal Activity - packed Aussie cinema, chicks screaming, people running out of the cinema, hell yeah it was awesome!

predator_silver, PA 3 is worth a look, haven't caught the fourth one yet.
fred?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g05 View Post
fred?
Slight ockerism creeping in

fred = thread

bored = board
Old 11-22-2012, 12:22 AM
I remember the first time I saw the original Friday the 13th I was so frightened by it I didn't leave the house in the dark for weeks (I was 12 mind you).

There are so few horror films that have re-captured that feeling since then, if I picked one I'd say BEREAVEMENT. Bereavement had that "heavy" feeling to it that I hadn't felt since the original Haloween.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 AM
Texas saw masscare. I know l have mispelt it but l have to say l could only whatch five mins of it
Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Signs had me playing music and/or leaving a light on at night to go to bed for a few nights after I watched it.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Exorcist. I was young like 8 the first time I saw it.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 PM
[You see l was the same as you with the light on until l felt safe also that movie gave a sick feeling normally l can watch horror but this one was bad
Old 12-09-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
[You see l was the same as you with the light on until l felt safe also that movie gave a sick feeling normally l can watch horror but this one was bad
Sorta to go with your other thread...It can be nice in some cases not be single to have someone to "squeeze" during those tense moments.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm 22, and at this age you'll never find a movie that'll make you sleep with the lights on...but if you want movies that are terrifying and will probably make you jump; here are a few good ones:

Paranormal Activity 2 - Great sound effects, and I think this one had the least cheap scares added.
The Devil Inside - Twisted bodies, demons, exorcists...and good amounts of jump scenes that terrify.
The Ring - As someone mentioned; it doesn't scare me NOW, but upon first viewing, I was very uncomfortable.
[REC] and [REC]2 - Make sure you catch these two. I won't say anything else because I don't want to ruin it.

I'm sure I'll think of more.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Exorcist. I was young like 8 the first time I saw it.
Oh l yes that film also had me clinging to the old seat
Old 12-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
Sorta to go with your other thread...It can be nice in some cases not be single to have someone to "squeeze" during those tense moments.
Well that is true l would land on the persons lap for protection when a scary moment comes
Old 12-10-2012, 03:43 AM
Thankyou for the movie avdvice l know l have seen the ring a few years back d doesn't Cate blancett star in in that l am sure,did
Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Thankyou for the movie avdvice l know l have seen the ring a few years back d doesn't Cate blancett star in in that l am sure,did
Nope, that would be Naomi Watts.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:05 AM
Oh so had the wrong actress but at least ll can say that they are both Aussie

Last edited by Bondgirl; 12-11-2012 at 04:10 AM..
Old 04-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Begotten.

I'm not sure what exactly did it but it truly bothered me. Never had to sleep with the light on or anything because of it but definitely had a few images from that one stuck in my head for a couple nights after
Old 04-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Yes it is terriable when you can't sleep if l am on my own at my house l have to put a light on in another room so l l don't feel frightened Everyone always tell me if l am going watch anything scary l should watch it with friends
Old 04-04-2013, 05:28 PM
When I was very young I caught a late show on HBO, some of you might have heard of it, "An American Werewolf in London", the transformation scene freaked the hell out of me. I didn't want to go outside during a full moon for almost a year! Otherwise, The Ring did a number on me, but not like you'd think. Watched it at a midnight showing in a theater, thoroughly enjoyed it, but didn't give the "curse" much thought. One week later, around midnight, I decided to read before going to bed, sat down in my chair, the TV turned on to static...., little weird, but ok, got up, turned it off, sat back down. TV came back on to static again. Now I'm freaked, and start looking for the remote, figured I could try and stay ahead of the game, turned out the the remote was under my chair cushion and I was sitting down in such a way that the TV was turning on WITHOUT the cable being on, thus the static. Damn near gave myself a heart attack over that one.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Event Horizon. I only saw this a few years ago but it really got to me. The first half was 'meh, this is pretty creepy I guess', but the second half... ugh freaky. I did sleep with the lights on that night haha.

When I first saw them, the original Halloween, IT, and Pet Semetary did a number on me.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Gonna go ahead and throw it out there; call me asinine but the movie that truly scared me the most in the history of cinema was The Triumph of the Will.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:19 PM
I guess I can't narrow it down to any specific movie, though certain imagery from any number of films can have its gripping effect on me. The vent's dummy in 1978's Magic, the grinning dead family in Insidious, for those who have seen the obscure gem, 1976's Burnt Offerings, the creepy chauffeur did a number on me for years. Apparently, evil toys, clowns, grinning things, bug the hell out of me for some reason.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm always looking for the next horror film to scare. The only one that truly really freaked me out was The Blair Witch Project. I was literally terrified by the ending and didn't sleep for several nights, then some dumbasses round the campus decided to make those stick figures and planted them all over the place! I have never watched it again.

More recently, The Woman in Black, Sinister and Insidious have all freaked me out a bit, but nothing's come close to The Blair Witch Project.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post
I remember the first time I saw the original Friday the 13th I was so frightened by it I didn't leave the house in the dark for weeks (I was 12 mind you).

There are so few horror films that have re-captured that feeling since then, if I picked one I'd say BEREAVEMENT. Bereavement had that "heavy" feeling to it that I hadn't felt since the original Haloween.

Excellent movie though a tad predictable Think the Director was talking a third movie as well, happy days when released.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:32 AM
I saw the first Rec and I thought it was scary. there were a few scenes that freaked me out. both involve the staircase

I saw the original evil dead and was surprised at how scary it was

The Orphanage, The Eye (original), Shutter (original)

I didn't realize how much The Host scared me until I went down by some water that had a bridge going across it like in the movie and I thought of that monster haha I guess that's why some people say it's like Jaws

Last edited by silentasylum; 10-21-2013 at 06:31 PM..
Old 11-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Only two in recent memory had any effect on me. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake with Jessica Biel. Mostly because of R. Lee Ermey. Oh man I would hate to get caught with a bag of weed by that guy

Noroi: The Curse was the other one. It just took me out of my comfort zone and I didn't know what weird thing would happen next.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:01 AM
None anymore. I'm 33. However, I was allowed to watch a lot at a very young age.

The Exorcist, The Shining, Event Horizon, The Ring.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:34 AM
Halloween and Inland Empire are the ones, there's nothing else I can think of, today a movie that can still scare me is something I can remember, it doesn't happen often.

Films that did once were
Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer
Child's Play films
New Nightmare
Old 12-23-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm only 22, so very few things have made me truly feel uncomfortable recently. However, looking through my life I'd say only a few films have managed to accomplish such a sense of dread. The Exorcist, Jacob's Ladder, IT, and A Nightmare on Elm Street
Old 12-26-2013, 02:40 AM
Hmmmm oh wait Evil Dead

I saw this movie when i was 12 is scared the living hell out of me.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:24 AM
Let me put it this way. Do not watch The Grudge and then go to work an overnight security job in an empty factory/warehouse. You will see that creepy chick climbing down every set of stairs you pass.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Not all are horror films in the conventional sense, but these are the ones that got under my skin ...

Come and See
Threads
The Wicker Man
Brimstone & Treacle
The Blair Witch Project
Old 03-23-2014, 12:07 PM
after THE SHINING was over I couldn't stay at ANY hotels.

the empty hallways and the creepy sense of whats been there before you..
Old 04-02-2014, 10:33 AM
The exorcist 3 and The grudge, i couldn't sleep the following night, definitely one the scariest films i have ever seen, with their unsettling mood.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:45 PM
John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness
The Omen
The Birds
Old 04-11-2014, 07:50 PM
As a kid, The Blair Witch Project and The Exorcist. Also a bunch of old zombie flicks. I was obsessed with zombie movies when I was little, even though I lost tons of sleep over it.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:12 PM
scary movies

1. The Exorcist...saw it when it came out when i was 14 or 15

2: Rec...great horror...especially the ending in night vision

3. Livid..pretty decent French horror

4: Insidious....worked for me
Old 06-03-2014, 02:46 AM

"Marmaduke"

I'm not even joking. It was the second movie of a double feature... I think it was playing with "How to Train Your Dragon." Anyway, I thought I'd stay since I payed for it and holy fucking shit, America's obsession with their pets frightens me beyond belief. The roaring laughter that was coming from the crowd around me made me so uneasy. They were laughing at the dumbest shit. I basically decided to stay because it was such a head-trip. I felt like Marilyn Burns at a Sawyer family dinner.

Last edited by Pike Cuttington; 06-03-2014 at 03:17 AM..