Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Les Miserables

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3uUTKOUhZU

Calling it right now... this is winning Best Picture.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM
I can't wait. Looks fantastic.

And yes, Bourne, that seems like a fair call. Anne may very well win one too.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Calling it before I even watch the trailer...it's a fucking musical.

edit: I was fucking right ...and I ain't watching it.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:53 AM
I don't think it wins Best Picture, I think it'll win music, costume and possibly Cinematography.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Big musical theatre fan, here. I'm always skeptical of stage to big screen adaptations, but damn this looks excellent.

December 25th is seeing the release of Django Unchained, The Great Gatsby, and this? Merry Christmas to me!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmont View Post
Big musical theatre fan, here. I'm always skeptical of stage to big screen adaptations, but damn this looks excellent.

December 25th is seeing the release of Django Unchained, The Great Gatsby, and this? Merry Christmas to me!
This is actually set for Dec. 14 in the US. Not quite sure why the trailer says Christmas unless they changed it.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
Calling it before I even watch the trailer...it's a fucking musical.

edit: I was fucking right ...and I ain't watching it.
+1
Old 05-30-2012, 02:46 PM
I liked the one with Liam and Rush. I will prob see this one. I like Crowe, Jackman, Anne and Amanda. I have culture dammit.

And Bourne FUCK YOU! Dark Knight Rises wins best movie. lol
Old 05-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
This is actually set for Dec. 14 in the US. Not quite sure why the trailer says Christmas unless they changed it.
You're right SpikeDurden - looks like I was mistaken. Still though, December is sure to be a great month for movie fans.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm far more interested in this than The King's Speech.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:54 PM
The 30's version was great if any of you haven't seen it yet check it out. Charles Laughton ftw!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:04 PM
I knew absolutely jack shit about Les Miserables before seeing this trailer...and honestly, it's not at all what I expected - a lot darker looking for one thing (I guess I should have expected that from a movie with the title Les Miserables).

I think it looks surprisingly pretty good, at least on a visual level.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Don't get me wrong. The movie looks incredible and I'm pretty sure it'll end up being great. But still, the only version of Les Miserables I have ever seen is the non musical movie with Liam Neeson, Geoffrey Rush and Claire Danes. Consequently, it's going to feel kind of weird seeing people sing in this story. It doesn't really strike me as the kind of story that leads to people singing suddenly.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
I knew absolutely jack shit about Les Miserables before seeing this trailer...and honestly, it's not at all what I expected - a lot darker looking for one thing (I guess I should have expected that from a movie with the title Les Miserables).

I think it looks surprisingly pretty good, at least on a visual level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Don't get me wrong. The movie looks incredible and I'm pretty sure it'll end up being great. But still, the only version of Les Miserables I have ever seen is the non musical movie with Liam Neeson, Geoffrey Rush and Claire Danes. Consequently, it's going to feel kind of weird seeing people sing in this story. It doesn't really strike me as the kind of story that leads to people singing suddenly.
Do you people know this is a musical that has been running for over 20 years on Broadway????
Old 05-31-2012, 01:12 AM
Yes, I am aware it was a musical first. But I still can't picture people singing in this kind of story. Maybe it works. I don't know. Like I said, the non musical movie is the only version I have seen. So we'll see.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Do you people know this is a musical that has been running for over 20 years on Broadway????
Yes, I knew it was a big Broadway hit and...that's about it. Apart from the iconic poster. To be honest, I'd barely given it two thoughts before seeing the trailer. As I said in my post, I'm sure if I actually spent a thought on the title beforehand, I would've realized that it's obviously a grim story, but I didn't, so I expected something more like standard musical fare (Rodgers & Hammerstein-ish).

As I said though, I'm interested in seeing this now.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:28 PM
I guess it should have occured to me that "musical" might be an automatic turn off or lead to assumptions for some. Thing is having seen the live stage version 3 times now I can say no other muscial I've seen is anything like it. For one it's through-sung, meaning that there's no bursting into song. Not that the songs are happy anyway. No "I Feel Pretty"s here. What you have is the dialog and the asides both being sung. So there's no abrupt weirdness of switching to music. I honestly don't know how they plan to do this in the film but trust me it works in the play. And yes the story is bleak, dark, depressing, and heartbreaking. Unless you have absolutely no empathy and a heart of stone you are in emotinal agony about 1/3 in and it just doesn't stop. Sounds fun, huh? And yet I've subjected myself to it multiple times because the songs really do capture a depth of human experience more profound than anything else I've ever seen. I'm really hoping those not familiar with the story and those not normally keen on musicals give it a try. I can't wait to see what they think. Me, I'm coming prepared, with a whole box of tissues.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm by far the biggest musical theatre fan here and I absolutely can't wait for this. I hope the Mayans are right and we world doesn't end because I'll be so upset if I don't end up seeing this (the release date was in fact switched to Christmas Day, bastards). I'm really hoping this does great and there are some GOOD stage to screen adaptations in the future (Kate Winslet in Next to Normal.. please??).
Old 11-08-2012, 11:17 AM
New Trailer - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2jP
Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
I don't see a trailer. Must've taken it down.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLY1O5s8CYA
Old 12-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Time to sing along to five new clips from Les Miserables - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2pn
Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Already popped my cinematic cherry with POTO on the big screen and i easily accepted all the musical interludes so i'm looking forward to this .

LM looks even more fantastic
Old 12-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Go behind the curtain of Les Miserables with four new featurettes about costume design, production, makeup and more - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2r9
Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Looks like another highly anticipated December release that's getting early mediocre reviews.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:15 PM
I always knew that Hugh jackman had a mustcal background but Crowe singing did surprise me because he has always come across as a real rough and abut bblokey but l have,to say the,clip looks good

Last edited by Bondgirl; 12-08-2012 at 05:21 PM..
Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Anne Hathaway and Samuel L. Jackson have a sad-off --- it's Les Miserables vs Django Unchined - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2tS