Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmushroom View Post
It doesn't. Unless you are a studio head that wants 3 moneymakers to be released instead of 2.
While I'm sure that plays a big part, I also think the fact that this will likely be the last film set in Middle Earth plays a larger one. No one has the rights to film anything outside of what is contained in The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, and it's very unlikely that they ever will.

While the story contained in The Hobbit definitely isn't enough to carry three films, the added material from the appendices of the LotR trilogy and the roughly 100 pages of notes by J.R.R. Tolkein regarding a re-write of The Hobbit (he planned to re-write the story to match the tone of the trilogy better) should provide enough material to do so.

I, for one, have no problem with it. Loved all three of the LotR movies, so hopefully I'll feel the same about these new films. Like I said, a part of it is surely motivated by money, but I think the larger part of it is the passion for the project shared by the creative team involved with bringing these stories to life.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Old 07-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Yeah, a lot of people aren't aware The Hobbit was published almost two decades before LOTR. During The Dark Knight Rises showing, some people actually yelled out "You've got to be kidding me, they're making a prequel!"
Old 08-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I can't believe they just announced stretching this to 3 films this late in the game...I'm perfectly fine with it as long as its quality over quantity. I can't wait to go back to Middle Earth...
Old 08-02-2012, 03:26 AM
I am confident in the ability of Peter Jackson and company to create a trilogy. If you have read Lord of the Rings you know that in the appendices of Return of the King there are events that took place before The Hobbit, during it and even after Lord of the Rings.

For example in The Hobbit there are parts of the story where Gandalf goes off to do other things - in the appendices it explains where he was and what he was doing.

So there is enough material for them to adapt and incorporate that is pre-existing.

Granted, there is a character invented for The Hobbit who wasn't even in the books, so I wouldn't say that nothing new has been added however the majority of what I imagine will be used will be completely from the appendices.

The Silmarillion explains how Middle-Earth came into existence and many other events in the history of that world but none of that will be included in these films because they do not have the film rights to The Silmarillion and it seems the Tolkien Estate doesn't want to sell those rights (at least not yet anyway).

I am interested in seeing how they turn this into three films - will they shorten the length of the first two to accommodate a third? Time will tell. But I think that going this route and adapting a work more fully, even if it takes more than two films, is worth doing. If only this could have been done for The Lord of the Rings by making six films.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Brand New trailer - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1s5
Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
Brand New trailer - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1s5
Isn't that the same as the teaser earlier? I don't see any difference......
Old 08-05-2012, 12:31 PM
^ there is a few different quick shots, it is hard to tell though.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:10 PM
It's time for a real, new trailer. I need some new eye-candy.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:22 AM
Nice little read about Jackson's The Hobbit (not necessarily Tolkien's):

(could be spoilerish for some)

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...ch/#more-61133
Old 09-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Peter Jackson Names Second Hobbit Film, Warner Bros. Dates Third

Peter Jackson, Warner Bros. Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures have revealed the final piece to their plan that will extend The Hobbit films from two to three installments. Jackson has named the new middle film in The Hobbit trilogy, and Warner Bros. has chosen a summer release date for the finale.
The first Hobbit film will retain its original name of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and make its theatrical debut on December 14, 2012. The second film, which previously was to be the last, will also retain its original December 13, 2013 release date.

No longer will the second Hobbit film be known as The Hobbit: There and Back Again. That name has been moved to the third film that will wrap up Jackson's ambitious second Middle Earth trilogy on July 18, 2014. The new name for the middle Hobbit film is The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

The roughly half-year span between the second and third Hobbit films is a first for Jackson's Middle Earth trilogies. The closest any of The Lord of the Rings theatrical release came to one another was a year.

A 12-month spread was the original design for two Hobbit films, but Warner Bros. needed a summer tentpole for 2014 and chose to utilize the recently announced third Hobbit film in that slot. For us, that means less time to wait between the second and third installments. It seems like a win-win situation for all parties involved.

The Hobbit: There and Back Again now has the potential to become the highest opening and grossing of all of Peter Jackson's Middle Earth films with Warner Bros. moving it into the cash friendly summer blockbuster movie season.

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Peter-...es-Third/11150
Old 09-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossk View Post
Isn't that the same as the teaser earlier? I don't see any difference......
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
^ there is a few different quick shots, it is hard to tell though.
As I understand it, all they did was take out a few snippets to make it suitable to show before a kid's movie (Brave). TheOneRing.net had a list of the differences but the main one seemed to be
Spoiler:
no scene of Gandalf fighting Thrain
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Can't wait!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:24 PM

Pedro Jackson just confirmed via Facebook a new trailer is dropping this week during "Tolkien Week"
Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
New trailer's up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5bvK...layer_embedded
Old 09-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Cannot wait!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Really awesome trailer, the scene with Bilbo and Smeagol was great.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Cannot wait to return to this world. Looks great.

Here are a few additional clips:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/wat...01da895e083d2f
Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm there, no questions asked.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Looks like a fun ride.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 PM
That trailer beat the shit out of every worry I had for this movie. Extremely impressed and excited. Thorin is a boss
Old 09-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Cannot wait to return to this world. Looks great.

Here are a few additional clips:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/wat...01da895e083d2f
Amen. Hard to believe it's been nine years since LOTR wrapped up. I was still in high school at that time. The years have certainly rolled by. Now, I have some idea of how Treebeard feels.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Brand new poster!!

Tolkien Week closed out with a bang.

To celebrate Hobbit Day -- which, as Middle-earth denizens know, is celebrated at the end of Tolkien Week on Sept. 22-- Warner Bros. released a new poster for "The Hobbit." This year's Tolkien Week had an extra special meaning as it also coincided with the 75th anniversary of the publication of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," which happened on Sept. 21, 1937.

The new poster features Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins holding a sword. It's composition is familiar to anyone who remembers the poster art forPeter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" franchise.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1907518.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	o-THE-HOBBIT-POSTER-570.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	10651  
Old 09-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Neil Finn to Provide Credits Song for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

We've got word about the end credits song for the upcoming The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (via TheOneRing.net*). New Zealand musician Neil Finn will provide the song for the film. Finn is most known for being the lead signer and guitar player for the band Crowded House. No further details are known about the song at this time, but check back here as details emerge.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=95678

*http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...ected-journey/
Old 10-10-2012, 04:44 PM
^Thats a friggin awesome poster!!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=AspectRatio1986;3610355]^Thats a friggin awesome poster!![/QUOTE

agreed I can't wait for this movie.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:02 PM

Peter just stated in an interview that the run time right now is roughly 2 Hours and 40 Minutes....
Old 10-25-2012, 05:25 PM
After screening the final cut of every Peter Jackson movie somebody needs to slap him and say "No! Too long!'
Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
After screening the final cut of every Peter Jackson movie somebody needs to slap him and say "No! Too long!'
In the case of King Kong, yes, but when it comes to Middle Earth, PJ can make his movies as long as he wants.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corran horn View Post
In the case of King Kong, yes, but when it comes to Middle Earth, PJ can make his movies as long as he wants.
Agreed!!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
preach brotha.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Meh, the theatrical editions maybe. I like a lot of the stuff they put back in the Extended Editions, but a lot of it was unnecessary and hurt the pacing of the films. The biggest vocal complaint about ROTK was its length and never-ending ending.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Meh, the theatrical editions maybe. I like a lot of the stuff they put back in the Extended Editions, but a lot of it was unnecessary and hurt the pacing of the films. The biggest vocal complaint about ROTK was its length and never-ending ending.
Not to get too far off-topic, but what specifically from the extended editions hurt the pacing (or are you referring to the theatrical editions)?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:08 PM
THE HOBBIT: a MUST watch before the year ends

I, and many other fans, have been waiting for this movie to come out for so long! And its finally here!
This highly anticipated movie has such high expectation, and Im sure it will not disappoint. Check out this article that talks about why The Hobbit is one of the top 10 movies to watch before the year ends, and some other movies as well.

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/...-see-year-ends
Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Final 'Twilight' wins weekend box office

The highly anticipated final Twilight movie hit theaters over the weekend, but could it compete with other openers like Lincoln? Check it out here: http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/...g-wide-release
Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 PM
THE FOUR POSTERS for the MIDNIGHT SCREENING !

Attend an IMAX midnight show of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey to receive this exclusive collector's series of four character prints (while supplies last)! Check here for a list of participating theaters.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...pected-journey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hobbitimaxpostersmall1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	11011   Click image for larger version

Name:	hobbitimaxpostersmall2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	11012   Click image for larger version

Name:	hobbitimaxpostersmall3.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	11013   Click image for larger version

Name:	hobbitimaxpostersmall4.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	11014  

Last edited by Ruly2; 11-28-2012 at 04:41 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm with DaveyJoeG on this one. Personally, I found the pacing of the Extended Editions to be a drag, at least with Fellowship and Two Towers (I watched them with my cousins before we went to see Return of the King in theatres so unfortunately, I can't help point out scenes that I thought were redundant...though I do remember a funeral scene with Eowyn that I found unintentionally funny). For fans of the books, it may have been great to be more immersed, but for the rest of us, it added a lot of unnecessary bloat. I found the theatrical editions far superior and in fact, I think Jackson did as perfect a job as anyone could of whittling away the excess from the books. As someone who has never been particularly enthusiastic about Tolkien, I thought his theatrical editions were actually far superior to the source material. But fan service seems to be the priority these days over making a tight, well-plotted film.

I was very interested in The Hobbit when I thought it was going to be one or even two films but stretching it out to three films is ridiculous and sucked a lot of the interest I had in this movie away. I don't understand why people get pumped these days when they stretch out a story across two movies (or three in this case). That doesn't make the story more epic, it almost always makes it less focused and run off on unnecessary tangents.

I think it's rather unfortunate that Jackson made this after LotR because he can now make it as bloated as he wants and no one will tell him otherwise. And judging from the reviews, it sounds like he has done exactly that. I mean I'm sure I'll see it regardless but I'm not really happy about wading through a three hour prologue to find the essential ninety minutes that are actually worth watching.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 12-04-2012 at 01:01 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 04:52 PM
There's more milking going on at New Line Cinema than in Takashi Miike's entire filmography.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 AM
This isn't news but Jackson stated in the past that he wasn't enthused to oversee an extended edition of any one of the original films , he did it for the fans .

This is somewhat reversed, he decided that he wanted to extend the original movies by virtue of constructing not just extended scenes but an entire cinematic installment .

I was always slightly indifferent to Fotr but the genius of Pj is his ability to build an anticipatory crescendo .

I don't expect TUJ to be anything earth shattering but i do expect his narrative ways to lay the foundation for greatness to come