Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 PM
The Official HALO 4 thread.

Release date: "Holiday" 2012

Screen shots:

Model comparison:

Teaser trailer

Making of Halo 4 video - with gameplay

I figure since I was the one who started the Halo 3 and Halo Reach threads, I may as well start the Halo 4 thread. Obviously, I'm a big fan. I can't wait for this. No official date beyond the vague "holiday" date. The last few games came out in September, but that's not really a holiday month. November perhaps?

My only qualm is that they went with the title "Halo 4" - I'd really rather they had called it "Master Chief" as it is the start of a new storyline. Oh well.

Even though it is the first non-Bungie Halo game, I'm confident that 343 will pull off a quality title. There's been little info on the story itself, but they have stated that the multiplayer combat is going to get a big overhaul. It is due for an update, but I hope they don't CoD it up a bunch.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
... but they have stated that the multiplayer combat is going to get a big overhaul. It is due for an update, but I hope they don't CoD it up a bunch.
Going the CoD route would be less of an overhaul and more of a downgrade. I'll pick Halo 3 or Halo Reach over any of the past few CoD titles when it comes down to terms of multiplayer.

Hell... when it comes down to anything really.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
Going the CoD route would be less of an overhaul and more of a downgrade. I'll pick Halo 3 or Halo Reach over any of the past few CoD titles when it comes down to terms of multiplayer.

Hell... when it comes down to anything really.
This. But I'm a huge call of duty hater. I don't think that Halo needs another sequel, but in terms of aesthetics, this is looking pretty great. I'm glad that Master Chief is making a return to the series, and it'll be interesting, if nothing else. I'm cautiously optimistic for this one!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't mind a more complex weapons upgrade and/or custom loadout system like CoD, but I certainly don't want it to become crazy run and gun style combat. However, picking up the pace, even if just a little bit, would be welcome to me.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't mind a more complex weapons upgrade and/or custom loadout system like CoD, but I certainly don't want it to become crazy run and gun style combat. However, picking up the pace, even if just a little bit, would be welcome to me.
The reason Halo and CS have been, in a competitive sense, more viable is because they don't have 10000000009 different weapon set ups, the next always being more absurd than the last. I wouldn't mind a set up like they have in CS wherein you can chose a gun, rather than starting out with only the AR. But honestly I like the multiplayer aspect of halo as is. Really i don't want it to change. Having been someome who has been a part of the Esports community (albeit in world of warcraft, but hell i've been watching these competitive games now for 6 years live), the gameplay of CoD is really a negative for competitive gaming.

That doesn't mean that they shouldn't implement a new game mode that is decidedly more action packed. I'd be down for that.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:06 PM
One thing I would really like to see is more environmental effects in multiplayer. Like the Gears of War 3 map that has a dust storm blow through, or the "Hail" map from Gears of War 2 where it starts raining deadly hail periodically, or even just some rain, like the various rainy maps in CoD. I'm guessing that this would make Forge way more complicated, though.

The last really atmospheric map that was kinda like this was "Backwash" from Halo 2, the swamp map.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 PM
There's a big spread in the new Game Informer that reveals a lot of new details.

Campaign:

The story is set four years after Halo 3. The game takes place on a planet called Requiem, seen at the (Legendary) end of Halo 3. The Covenant are back, or at least a renegade force, at first. Once on the planet, there will be a whole new set of enemies, weapons and tactics that have not been revealed yet.

Cortana has upgraded Chief during the down time, but she may also be going crazy due to her advanced AI programming.

Multiplayer:

They are pretty much doing a full copy and paste of Call of Duty: Sprint is a normal function; there is a ranking system that unlocks weapons and abilities; custom weapon loadouts; instant respawns; drop in and out lobby system - pretty much everything but the killcams. As of now, I am okay with this.

Elites will no longer be playable (lame), and all maps/arenas take place on a massive ship in a sort of "Danger Room"/Holodeck creation (whatever).

Firefight:

Gone.

Instead, we get a new game type:

Spartan Ops:

Sounds like a hybrid of Firefight and Call of Duty's "Spec Ops" - Four player scenarios that are updated on a regular basis. Kinda hard to explain, but this gametype is supposed to be constantly updating and evolving.

Oh, and the game is being released on Election Day. Don't forget to vote.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM
The first Halo will always be a classic.
Halo 2 was a huge letdown.
Halo 3 was meh, with the exception of the multiplayer.

I'm skeptical of this game, mostly because Bungie isn't behind it, which says they did all they wanted to for the character and universe.

They aren't even bringing back Martin O'Donnell to score the music! And his score was some of the best in any video game!

They are going to milk this franchise into obscurity. Rather than let it end on a somewhat decent note, Microsoft is diluting another beloved video game character.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
They are going to milk this franchise into obscurity. Rather than let it end on a somewhat decent note, Microsoft is diluting another beloved video game character.
I don't see what makes Halo any different from any other popular video game series. How many Mario games are there? Zelda games? Sonic games? Smash Bros games? Metal Gear games? Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Call of Duty, Tomb Raider, Mega Man, Need for Speed, Assassin's Creed, etc., etc.

I love the Halo universe and am perfectly happy that they're making more games. It's not like we have annual installments or anything, and there have only been three actual games that featured Master Chief.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:11 PM
That's true. There are alot of already diluted franchises out there, I won't argue. But with most of those you've listed they have a continuing and relevant story-line to them that begs them to create subsequent sequels, or each game is on its own with no connecting story-line.

I would accept another game from the Halo universe (like ODST, Reach), since the universe has its potential to spawn different characters and stories. But bringing back Masterchief when his story-line had a finality to it is just plain wrong.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
But bringing back Masterchief when his story-line had a finality to it is just plain wrong.
See, I would completely disagree. He said "wake me when you need me" - implying that he would be needed some time in the future. And Halo 3 even ended with a cliffhanger of sorts with the ship drifting towards the ominous planet.

I would say that the storyline about the Covenant war had been wrapped up, but that doesn't mean Master Chief can't have continuing adventures.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Some of the things said in the Game Informer article were promising, but I'm still on the fence with this. Sounds like just another cash grab, to be honest, and I'd hate to see my favourite shooter franchise go that direction. I hate hearing all of these Call of Duty comparisons (just because it's trendy doesn't mean that every game has to mimic its "style") and the fact that they haven't brought Martin O' Donnel back is a huge disappointment. The score was the most cinematic and brilliant of probably any video game I've played.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Marty O'donnel works for Bungie, not 343, why did anyone assume he would be back? The few videos that have been released feature some obviously new Halo music, and it sounds fine to me.

Most of the core guys at 343 came from Bungie; I'm sure they'll do a good job.

As for going CoD style with multieplayer, I'm still okay with it. For one thing, having a perpetual lobby will be a huge improvement. Nothing sucks more than having your entire team drop out in matchmaking. And the instant respawn times will make the games faster. But it will still be Halo: Spartans with shields and armor abilities.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Halo 4 to Become a Live-Action Web Series

source:http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118053273

With "Halo 4" set to hit the shelves on November 6th, Microsoft has announced, through Variety, the planned debut of a live-action web series titled "Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn" that will premiere on Machinima later this year.

Planned for release as five weekly, 15-minute chapters, "Forward Unto Dawn" will detail Master Chief's effect on a young United Nations Space Command (UNSC) cadet who will then appear in the game.

Set four years after the events of “Halo 3,” "Halo 4" sees Master Chief returning to confront his destiny and face an ancient evil that threatens the fate of the entire universe.

Full details of "Forward Unto Dawn" are expected to be revealed at San Diego Comic-Con in July.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=89738
Old 05-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Posting here will be iffy since I really don't want to know a thing about Halo 4 until I get it in my hands. I plan on being out at sea working when it comes out but when it returns I want to pick it up at the store and seeing the box for the first time, not knowing a thing is what I want.

This is picky but here's what I want
secondary fire modes (ie BMR can have 1 or 3 shot bursts)
weapon attachments (like the pistol in the debut trailer)
better commendation awards (in reach, reaching a new commendation level only gave you more credits which was pointless because leveling up takes forever.)

not much more than that, that and I have this perfect box art image in my head that I know won't ever be it.

bring it, I'm playing all the games over again for the story, post me if you want to co-op except note that my connection overseas may not make it.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blknge89 View Post
weapon attachments (like the pistol in the debut trailer)
That's actually a new weapon, not the standard pistol. It's some kind of mini-grenade launcher.

As for alt-fire modes, that would be cool, but as there is going to be both the DMR and Battle Riffle in the game, an alt mode for either would be unlikely.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:33 AM
silenced smg ala odst
anyway those were my cents

blknge98-gamertag
Old 05-15-2012, 07:50 AM
REPORT: Fans Piece Together the Halo 4 Cover Art

Source: Halo Waypoint Forums

Fans at the Halo Waypoint Forums were e-mailed 32 pieces of "the Halo puzzle" by Microsoft which they put together to give this first look at the cover art for Halo 4. Halo 4 will be available for the Xbox 360 on November 6.

Set four years after the events in Halo 3, Master Chief returns to confront his destiny and face an ancient evil that threatens the fate of the entire universe. Developed by 343 Industries, Halo 4 marks a new beginning for the landmark entertainment franchise that has sold more than 40 million games worldwide and inspired multiple best-selling novels, live-action shorts, comic books, action figures and apparel.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=90221
Old 05-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Well that's the best box art this series has ever seen.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Not a bad cover, though I kinda like the first image in my original thread post a little better.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 AM
Halo 4 Limited Edition announced = $99

Microsoft revealed Halo 4's Limited Edition today, and there's not a cat helmet to be found. Instead, the $100 package gets you a fancy box, a "UNSC Infinity Briefing Packet," and a host of in-game bonuses, expanding the multiplayer experience.

The LE includes the "War Games Map Pack," a voucher for "three future competitive multiplayer map packs, each including three locations, available for download post-launch on Xbox Live." It also includes early access to six multiplayer Specializations, which will only be released at launch in this package; they'll be "released over time" to the general audience.

Other digital bonuses include an exclusive armor and weapon skin, an in-game emblem, and an Avatar prop. The LE also includes an "extended 90-minute version" of the Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn video series, extra featurettes, and making-of videos.

www.joystiq.com
Old 06-05-2012, 12:23 AM
E3 footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N-CRrP9xjQ

Holy shit, this looks stunning.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:09 AM
There's been a ton of new info regarding Multiplayer. It looks like they are finally going crazy with all the options to really customize your player. Some of the new armor designs are awesome.

Here's the basics from IGN's Halo 4 page:

Halo 4's Multiplayer is called Infinity, named after a massive 3 kilometer-long vessel (called the UNSC Infinity) sent into deep space stocked with Spartans, who battle in training sessions. There are two types of multiplayer modes now, War Games (Deathmatch, Capture the Flag etc.) and Spartan Ops (a co-op, episodic mode). Here are some changes made to Halo 4's multiplayer:

Halo 4 will have loadouts called Specializations. Rather than everyone rolling out with the same weapons online, players bring customized gear into battle. Everyone packs a primary and secondary weapon, armor abilities (including Active Camouflage, Jetpack, and Hologram) and a grenade type.
Weapons still appear around the map, but they appear in random spots via drop pods.
The respawn time in Team Slayer is instantaneous rather than reliant on a clock.
Sprinting is an innate ability everyone can use.
Players can also use an ability called Forerunner Vision to peek through walls, Batman style. The X-ray vision upgrade is an armor ability you'll equip.
Abilities are unlockable via Spartan Points, the currency fueling the in-game economy. Points unlock additional Ops missions, armor abilities, and cosmetic upgrades.
You rank up using XP
1-50 ranking system
Multiplayer is somehow connected to the single-player campaign
There is no longer a Firefight mode
Spartan ops is an episodic multiplayer mode that will span several seasons and guarantees hours of play
There is no armour lock
You can now join games in-progress

As for the "Specializations" - these are sort of like different skill based classes, like Battlefield and older CoD. Sounds interesting. This is certainly the biggest overhaul any Halo game has had. I think I'm gonna do a midnight launch. Can't wait.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:33 AM
So Halo 4 is adding Mechs into he game, and it has officially gone full CoD with the addition of Kill-Cams.

Infection mode has been changed. Instead of a "zombie" you are now a Flood.

Armor Abilities and custom loadouts have become extremely robust and customizable.

Weapon trailers (I hope you like dubstep...) UNSC, Covenant, Promethian

And the first episode of the "short film" series Forward Until Dawn is here... and it's a whopping 20 minutes long.

Only one month to go.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Halo 4 'Scanned' Launch Trailer Coming October 18; David Fincher and Tim Miller Team

Halo 4 is a pretty big deal for Microsoft and Xbox 360 in case you weren't already aware. There's no bigger exclusive franchise in the Microsoft library, so when a new chapter comes along - especially one from a new developer and with new enemies to fight - Microsoft is willing to spare no expense to promote it properly.

Before Halo 4 hits stores next month, we will get to kick back and enjoy the game's official launch trailer. Normally launch trailers are released within a couple days of the game's release. As I said, Halo 4 is a big deal, and as such we will get the trailer early and it will make its debut on national television.

The official Halo 4 launch trailer premiere will air during the October 18 episode of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon on NBC at 12:35am EST. Immediately following its television premiere, the trailer will make its way to YouTube and Halo Waypoint. In other words, it will be everywhere.

You don't hire just anyone to create a Halo trailer with a national television premiere. Working in conjunction with developer 343 Industries on the trailer as executive producer is David Fincher (The Social Network). He is joined by visual effects artist Tim Miller (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) who is handling directorial duties.

The Halo 4 launch trailer runs a full two minutes and is titled 'Scanned.' It is a live-action/CGI hybrid trailer filmed in Prague that explores the backstory of Master Chief as well as the new enemies he will face .In short, it has the makings of something that will be absolutely spectacular and will get us thinking about a live-action Halo feature film again.

Halo 4 arrives in stores on November 6.

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Halo-4...-Team-Up/11409
Old 10-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Halo 4 will ship on two discs
October 15, 2012 5:45PM PDT
Laura Parker
By Laura Parker, Associate Editor

Second disc will contain multiplayer features data, which will require at least 8GB of available memory on hard drive or flash storage device.

Microsoft has reiterated its previous statements that the multiplayer component of 343 Industries' upcoming shooter, Halo 4, will require at least 8GB of free space.

Those with a 20GB Xbox 360 may be pressed for space.

The publisher announced today that Halo 4 will ship on two discs. According to Microsoft, the second disc will contain data that will need to be installed on an Xbox 360 hard drive or compatible flash storage device with at least 8GB of available memory in order to access Halo 4's multiplayer features.

However, Microsoft revealed to GameSpot that once the data is installed, only the first disc will be required to play Halo 4's campaign and multiplayer content.

Previously, Microsoft advised that for an "optimal experience" players should install the entire game to their hard drives. It was not mentioned how large the entire Halo 4 install would be.

Link

Well, shit. I have an old 20GB hard drive, and there's no way I can clear enough space. Off to buy a flash drive, I guess.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:43 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/01/halo-4-review

9.8 on IGN - calling it possibly Game of the Year.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Quote:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/01/halo-4-review

9.8 on IGN - calling it possibly Game of the Year.
I'm even more hyped considering they said it's quite possibly the best Halo yet. I cannot wait until release day at midnight.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:19 AM
I didn't care, but after reading all the amazing reviews, I now MUST own this. A great current-gen farewell to Halo that sets the stage for next-gen sequels.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm truly in love with Halo 4 already. The game is gorgeous, so far the campaign is well written and intriguing, and the multiplayer is fast paced and extremely competitive. The new tweaks and additions have really made Halo feel refreshed. 343 studios will have a long reign if they can continue to make Halo games like this. Truly a phenomenal entry into this beloved franchise.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:03 PM
I've done a little bit of multiplayer - it's different, that's for sure. It will take some getting used to, but it's all good.

I'm a little over halfway in the campaign, and it is fantastic. Epic battles, beautiful backdrops, perfect pacing, awesome weapons. Plus, Master Chief sure talks a lot in this one.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Quote:
I've done a little bit of multiplayer - it's different, that's for sure. It will take some getting used to, but it's all good.
I can play the multiplayer ALL FREAKIN DAY! Its similar enough to halo 3 to make me nostalgic, but enough new features to make me feel like I'm playing a new type of game. Kind of like a cross between COD and Halo 3.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Well... I beat the game tonight, playing on Normal. Overall I have to say that the single player campaign was outstanding. Every stage was full of variety and no two places looked the same. There was a nice even display of different gametypes: vehicle levels, sniper, stealth, full on commando, etc. Hell, even the glorified escort mission was fun.

The big battles were insanely intense and satisfying - some were hard and challenging while others gave you an overpowered tank and let you reign destruction freely. You even get to fly a spaceship towards the end like in Halo Reach (though your flying is way more insane in Halo 4).

The story was still a bit cryptic at times. I knew what was going on, for the most part, but there was a sense of urgency that wasn't always conveyed. And the main villain that is introduced wasn't the greatest presence - not like the Prophets in Halo 2, who loomed large over that whole game. And like Reach, not taking place on Earth felt somewhat disconnected. However, the game still has some powerful moments, and takes some fucking dark turns towards the end. And while the end of the game isn't nearly as depressing as Halo Reach, it still hits you in the gut pretty hard.

Spoiler:
Cortana sacrifices herself to save Master Chief. Her death is surprisingly sad and gut wrenching when it happens... but there is clearly more to her death than this game. In a lengthy post credits sequence, there is a very brief scene of scientists scanning what appear to be remnants of her code that have somehow materialized. I'm sure there will be more to come in Halo 5...

As for the music... while it was good and sometimes really good on moments, it was really lacking compared to the Bungie games. The main Halo theme never appears, which sucks. Nor does it match the epic grandeur of Reach or of the lush richness of the ODST score. Overall it did it's job, but the music was the one thing that failed to live up to its predecessors.

Now, as for multiplayer...

I am pissed that they didn't bring back Headhunter. That was easily the most fun gametype introduced in Reach. Also, not having as straight up Free For All gametype is stupid. Dropping Firefight is an absolute sin. And I'm really bummed about Elites being removed completely as playable characters.

I also think it was a mistake to not include any Forge World maps at launch. There are three new Forge Worlds, and none of them are featured. One of Reach's best maps, The Cage, was a Forge map available on day one, and was a great showcase for Forge. Halo 4 should have done the same.

The gameplay is faster paced, but I do miss the weapon variety. With the loadout system, everyone just runs around with Battle Rifles and DMRs. Since there are no weapons on the maps anymore, Slayer matches are basically nonstop rifle matches. I still haven't played a ton of this, though, but my early impressions so far is that I like Reach's multiplayer better.

I have yet to play Spartan Ops.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 PM
BadBird, how lengthy was the campaign? I'm playing it on Normal as well, but I haven't had a chance to pick it up since it's midnight release. I've heard some say 6 hours, which worries me to some degree.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
BadBird, how lengthy was the campaign? I'm playing it on Normal as well, but I haven't had a chance to pick it up since it's midnight release. I've heard some say 6 hours, which worries me to some degree.
Yeah, that's correct. It took me about seven to beat it on heroic.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackCostume View Post
Yeah, that's correct. It took me about seven to beat it on heroic.
Wouldn't that make this the shortest Halo entry to date? I'm sure it's quality, but I recall Halo 3 being more along the lines of 9-10 hours (then again, that may be shoddy memory).
Old 11-17-2012, 01:02 AM
I beat it in six hours forty minutes. And, honestly, it doesn't need to be any longer. Anything else would have been filler (and it already had its fair share of "flip these three switches" levels).

It's the multiplayer that bugs me the most. I just don't understand why they removed so many options from the custom games menus.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Played a bit of multiplayer and watched a bit of the campaign at my friend's house last night; it still does nothing for me. The only thing that grabs at me are the visuals. Besides that, it's the same "point A to point B; shoot everything in between" shooter that I'm getting tired of.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 PM

Best game since the original two Halos, and one of the best I've played on the 360 (I haven't played too many, mind you all). The story was fantastic, and both familiar and innovating enough to compound and improve on the previous games. The new guns and enemies are all very well designed in my opinion,
Spoiler:
especially the Promethean Knights who have sentinel-type machines come out of their back.
I clocked the game in around 6 hours in two epic sittings and am playing it again today (I rarely play games, but when I do, I get obsessive). I would recommend this to anyone who is a Halo fan to at least rent (which I did), and if they have the money, to buy. I'm consider this series back at its high point.

Spoiler:
This game also captured Master Chief and Cortana's relationship perfectly, that unspoken - and when it is, sardonic - companionship. Their separation at the end with Chief saying he was ordered to protect her, and she says they were supposed to protect each other, was very touching. I loved it and have a feeling that Halsey will have a large role in the next sequel. After all, Cortana was made from her DNA. This game was about humanity becoming digital, and Cortana as an AI wanting to become human in many ways.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:37 AM
Overdue in my review but here it is
Love it

blknge98 is my gamername, and halo is my game.