Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Generation Kill

Is it worth watching?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Hells yeah. One of my faves.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Definitely, without a doubt.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:20 AM

I picked this up at my local library yesterday (surprised they had it) and I gotta say it was a big letdown. Probably one of the worst HBO shows I've ever seen. I wasnt expecting greatness in the level of Carnivale or The Wire but damn, literally NOTHING happens in this show. Just a bunch of jarheads sitting around cursing and shootin the shit. Really boring imo.

And since it was from the guy that brought us The Wire it was even more of a letdown.

Oh well I watched it all for free so I didnt have to pay for anything. Just a waste of time thats all.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:45 PM
I thought Generation Kill was pretty brilliant, actually. Someone described it as "ambitiously casual" in a review, and I wholeheartedly agree with that. The mini-series definitely throws you into the deep end, head first, and doesn't really look back. It's not exactly complex, but it can be disorienting. I enjoyed Generation Kill most for the fact that it's not necessarily about war at all, but a character study that just so happens to take place in a war zone. Like The Corner, The Wire, and now Treme (all David Simon productions), this show moves to its own rhythm, and it's certainly not for everybody. To each their own, I guess, but perhaps if you think that "nothing happened" you should revisit this one again some time down the road.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
I thought Generation Kill was pretty brilliant, actually. Someone described it as "ambitiously casual" in a review, and I wholeheartedly agree with that. The mini-series definitely throws you into the deep end, head first, and doesn't really look back. It's not exactly complex, but it can be disorienting. I enjoyed Generation Kill most for the fact that it's not necessarily about war at all, but a character study that just so happens to take place in a war zone. Like The Corner, The Wire, and now Treme (all David Simon productions), this show moves to its own rhythm, and it's certainly not for everybody. To each their own, I guess, but perhaps if you think that "nothing happened" you should revisit this one again some time down the road.
Yep, the book is also great.