Old 11-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Goodbye Hostess (Twinkies) - Thanks Unions!

Well if you are a fan of any Hostess owned products (Twinkies, Wonderbread, Zingers, etc) you better stock up now. Due to another union strike, the company has been forced to shut its doors for good. Sucks that now almost 20,000 people are going to be out of work very soon all because of another greedy union strike. I was not a Twinkie fan but once, maybe like twice a year I would grab a pack of Zingers. Just sad really though, all those families screwed right before Christmas. Unions are really out of control and they honestly do not have the workers benefits in mind, like they used to. Now they are more concerned about money (dues) than the people paying them. RIP Twinkie!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMaster View Post
Due to another union strike, the company has been forced to shut its doors for good.
No, not exactly.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post

You just quoted a reply from the union themselves, one of the dirtiest, most lying, organizations in America. Your reply is invalid because of this.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm pretty sure the couple behind us in line at the store was stocking up on Twinkies they had a basket full of nothing but Twinkies and one lone box of what I think was Hostess cupcakes. It was funny because we were joking about it while walking around the store and then there it was.

God bless our unions, a true American institution.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah. Cause every fucking thing is the union's fault. Even bad management.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpesh View Post
Yeah. Cause every fucking thing is the union's fault. Even bad management.

In this case it was both but the union knowing the company was having money issues still pushed and pushed and then caused 20k people to be out of a job instead of backing down because they had to have those higher dues. The union bosses make what the hostess execs make. Know your facts.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Quote:
You just quoted a reply from the union themselves, one of the dirtiest, most lying, organizations in America. Your reply is invalid because of this.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Quote:
In this case it was both but the union knowing the company was having money issues still pushed and pushed and then caused 20k people to be out of a job instead of backing down because they had to have those higher dues. The union bosses make what the hostess execs make. Know your facts.
Yes. The union should have just kept backing down until the workers were paid nothing while the management kept digging a huge financial hole... they would never go out of business doing that.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Wait a minute… This thread isn't about Twinkies. It's not about Twinkies at all!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Yes. The union should have just kept backing down until the workers were paid nothing while the management kept digging a huge financial hole... they would never go out of business doing that.
No you are right, looks like they made the right choice this time..........Good thing the union bosses still have their Mercedes and multiple homes though.......I am sure the unemployed workers will spend Christmas morning letting their children know they got laid off but at least the union bosses kids got presents and that is all that matters.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
Wait a minute… This thread isn't about Twinkies. It's not about Twinkies at all!

Some people just can't keep it on topic, sorry man

Twinkies!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Quote:
There's no Federal minimum wage anymore?! Sweet (no pun intended). I guess now people like non-college credit unpaid interns, volunteers and unpaid actors won't feel so all alone anymore.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Old 11-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
There's no Federal minimum wage anymore?!
Yea and the thing is, these guys/gals weren't making minimum wage, some of the Hostess line people make damn good money plus they got to go home smelling like cake.

The local delivery truck guys probably got screwed when it comes to pay but the factory people were doing fine and got greedy, like the execs they were bad mouthing, and the union bosses who were pulling the strings from their lairs.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Funny that movie is the first thing I thought of.

Also... whoa... is that photoshopped or what? Surely they would have noticed that.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:58 AM
Zingers are better than Twinkies anyway.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:28 AM
And this being the same year states "legalize" marijuana, they close down the twinkie plant.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Yea and the thing is, these guys/gals weren't making minimum wage, some of the Hostess line people make damn good money plus they got to go home smelling like cake.

The local delivery truck guys probably got screwed when it comes to pay but the factory people were doing fine and got greedy, like the execs they were bad mouthing, and the union bosses who were pulling the strings from their lairs.
You might say the parasite killed its Hostess.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
You might say the parasite killed its Hostess.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Quote:

And I came here to speak on my love of Hostess products.
I feel sullied and unusual.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRazor View Post

And I came here to speak on my love of Hostess products.
I feel sullied and unusual.
So basically like after you eat a twinkie?

By the way, for anyone interested in what is to blame for the bankruptcy I really recommend this short article from The Atlantic. It seems pretty clear at this point everyone is to blame: The Private Equity people, Management, and The Union. But in all fairness, the teamsters wanted the new contract, it was the bakers' union which organized the strike. I think it would be pretty silly in this situation for us to take either the liberal "fucking big business, Wall St., etc." or "Unions ruin everything" position out of this.

Last edited by Gordon; 11-17-2012 at 01:15 PM..
Old 11-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Now i'll have to buy twinkies ripoffs!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:27 PM
I DON'T WANT CREME-FILLED SPONGE BARS!!!

I WANT TWINKIES!!!

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...32/114/e39.png
Old 11-18-2012, 07:19 PM
where's the cream filling?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
So basically like after you eat a twinkie?
Honestly speaking, I must admit...Twinkies aren't as good as they were whenst I was a lad and even then, I mostly remember the creme filling being the selling point for me.

Suzy Q's were my weapon of choice.
And they were good. Good enough to "drive an old lady in a bumper car into the wall" for good?
Oh yes. (And remember, I said bumper cars. It was an odd event that I'd rather not go into but just understand, I REALLY liked the Suzy Q's they made back then and...she was asking for it)

But the quality dipped over the years.
I had some Suzy Q's a few years ago.
It was an affront.
An abomination.
Two abominations, they come in packs of two.

How do you fuck up a Suzy Q?
Two pieces of chocolate cake with a generous amount of white filling in between.
See that recipe? Do THAT.

To quote Stewie Griffin "...what's going on?!....I don't like change!"
Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 PM
http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,5350938.story

Never before have so many arguments about such an unworthy topic been had. The world needs Twinkies about like it needs a hole in the head.

Considering all the golden parachutes handed out to execs who've otherwise run their companies into the ground and then step off before the crash, I'd say the anti-union argument is very overstated. Then again, the feud between unions and corporate owners are the reason we spend nearly $35,000 on a mid-sized sedan from US auto makers. In this case though, both sides came to the table. At least for the sake of the jobs, I hope they work it out.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 PM
One of the problems I never liked about the Twinkie is the bottom part of the cake always used to get stuck in the wrapping. And I also used to notice how they put less and less cream filling as time went by. I haven't had one in 10 years. I think they finally realized that now with all this free advertisement from the media and the fact that some states are now legalizing marijuana they probably see a huge opportunity now.

Last edited by creekin111; 11-20-2012 at 05:18 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Wall E fed his cochroach friend a twinkie. Happy now?

I like snowballs. Just the pink ones though. I still remember my first one when I was 7
Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 AM
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,4332341.story

Quote:
It was the kind of outpouring Hostess wished it had generated before throwing in the towel. The company has suffered nine straight years of revenue declines, tumbling 30% to $2.45 billion last year from $3.53 billion in 2009, according to a report from research firm PrivCo.

The company's losses nearly tripled to $341 million in 2010 from $128 million in 2006, according to the report. And Hostess is suffering a severe liquidity squeeze, with long-term debt totaling $591 million.

If Hostess ends up selling its assets, Ding Dongs, Ho Hos and their shelf-mates could be headed for some major changes, said Sabino, the St. John's professor.

Inflated ingredient and transportation costs and a growing consumer focus on healthful foods could force the snacks to shrink in size. New owners might try to rush the products back to market to capitalize on the current publicity and the coming holiday season.
1. Unions would rather see the company go out of business than back down an inch.
2. This is not a case of greedy upper management. This is a case of a company that needs to change with the times.
3. Maybe Obama can give them a bunch of money, so they can make necessary changes to become a profitable strong company again. Pay the money back and Obama can take credit for saving Twinkies.
4. It is funny how people only care when they are going to go away, but have not eaten the things in years.
5. I don't see it working.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
The cake is a lie !!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 PM
GOODBYE HOSTESS...I'M FLYING OVER YOOOUUUU
Old 11-20-2012, 01:47 PM
When a CEO ups his salary from 750,000 to 2.5 million during bankruptcy, I can hardly see how the union is to blame this time around. CEO's and union bosses are cut from the same cloth. All the workers are just casualties of their greed in this case.

The Whole Foods CEO pays himself like a $1 a year and gets the rest through stock options. He cars about the company. when someone gives themselves a raise while their company dies, that's not caring. who's gonna feel the pinch more, the worker who goes from $30,000.00 down to 28,000.00 or the CEO who goes from 750,000 down to say $300,000.00? Might not save the business, but it would show you were trying.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:48 AM
It's just like those unions to not let private citizens take credit for the failure of their company that they worked so hard for.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
GOODBYE HOSTESS...I'M FLYING OVER YOOOUUUU

After I posted the topic, left the board for a while and came back, I saw my title and that is exactly what came to mind.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:19 AM
Matt Taibbi: Hostess' 'Incompetent' Management Killed The Company

Posted: 11/20/2012 9:52 am EST Updated: 11/20/2012 12:25 pm EST

A little liquidation scare is no reason to mess with Twinkies, according to Matt Taibbi.

The Rolling Stone contributor told MSNBC’s Ed Schultz Monday that workers and their “pensions and benefits” are getting the blame for the possible Hostess shutdown instead of the company’s management, who, he says, is actually responsible for the Twinkie-maker’s woes.

“Everybody likes Twinkies, there’s nothing wrong with the product,” Taibbi said. “The workers are doing a good job, they’re putting out a good product -- it’s that management has been incompetent, and it’s unfortunate that the narrative has shifted all the blame to the workers.”

Taibbi's assessment of the situation isn't universal, with many people blaming the company's demise on the American consumer's changing tastes.

Hostess announced Friday that the company planned to liquidate and lay off all of its 18,500 workers, citing an ongoing strike that the company claimed was crippling its operations. On Monday, a bankruptcy judge ordered that Hostess enter into mediation with the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union, the group representing the striking workers, saying that he had “serious questions as to the logic behind this strike.”

The Teamsters, the other union representing Hostess workers, agreed to major pay and pension cuts in September in an aim to save the company and their jobs, even though they had already taken a hit during the company's first bankruptcy.

Taibbi argued that Hostess’ workers are being forced to take the blame for the poor decisions of the private equity firm that bought the company after its first bankruptcy. The firm, Ripplewood, loaded Hostess with debt, according to The New York Times.

“It’s part of this overall mythology that we have to blame the workers for wanting benefits and wanting a living wage,” he said.

Still, Andrew Ross Sorkin of the NYT defended Ripplewood, saying its founder was trying to make an example out of Hostess by being one of the few private equity firms to work with organized labor to save an iconic American brand.

Whatever the story, there's nothing funny about nearly 20,000 lost jobs.

Link
Old 11-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Hey here's a quick fix solution. Hostess is being liquidated. It's assets are being sold at rock bottom prices. Why doesn't the union jump on that? Take a little bit of the dues money left over after funding leftist political campaigns. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1293173.html Looks like they have some serious money. Leverage it, and buy the company. Freed from evil capitalist leeches, the company will easily be able to pay workers more for less work while still servicing the acquisition debt and earning a handsome return for the workers. Higher wages, more extensive benefits, more restrictive work rules - they're all here for the taking. Just do a successful buyout. If a spoiled, entitled, talentless fool like Mitt Romney could do it, how hard could it be for union guys. Save the Twinkies; save the jobs!

On a deal like Hostess if they execute on a turnaround plan, they should be able to turn their $50 million investment into $200 million to $300 million (low 30% to mid 40% return should be possible). Then they could do another 4 to 6 company saving, job saving investments. What's a joke here, what's unrealistic isn't the idea that unions have big money at their disposal. It's that they would take this kind of risk. It's that they could manage this company. It's that they could give the bakers what they want and make a go of it. It's that they don't need the executives and equity investors. It's that they could end up with a viable business by cutting out what those people make. It's that any of the 99%, OWS, plutocracy stuff could ever pass a test in the open market place. So labor will continue on its only winning path - using the coercive power of government to take by force what they could never get in a negotiation.

It could be the beginning of the revolution. Show the plutocracy that they're overpaid and unneeded. Workers of the world unite! No matter how much debt is on the company, if it's being liquidated it's selling for the lowest possible price. All that a lot of debt would mean is that the creditors would get every cent paid, and the evil private equity investors would get wiped out. So bottom line: the union can step up and buy the company at a rock bottom price. It can save all the jobs, and show how a company can be profitably run with high wages, extensive benefits, high taxes, extensive regulations, and restrictive work rules. It's a Christmas miracle! It's an opportunity to improve the lot of workers while showing those arrogant capitalists how superfluous they are. Do it!

Last edited by creekin111; 11-23-2012 at 05:02 PM..
Old 04-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Despair not, for the mighty Twinkie is returning!!!

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/25/news...ess/index.html