Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 11-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
This is actually the third time this has happened with the franchise. The first being when Ratner came in for Singer, the second was when Vaughn replaced Singer for First Class, and now Singer is replacing Vaughn.
Oh, I see. I still haven't seen First Class so I can't comment on how that turned out. I just think this is an example of Fox being a difficult studio for directors to just do their thing. X-Men 3 and Wolverine were disasters and I really can't place all of the blame on the directors. It sucks because the X-Men are among my favorite comic book characters and I really think they deserve more quality films. That's the same way I feel about Spider-Man and is why I didn't see the last movie.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Oh, I see. I still haven't seen First Class so I can't comment on how that turned out. I just think this is an example of Fox being a difficult studio for directors to just do their thing. X-Men 3 and Wolverine were disasters and I really can't place all of the blame on the directors. It sucks because the X-Men are among my favorite comic book characters and I really think they deserve more quality films. That's the same way I feel about Spider-Man and is why I didn't see the last movie.
The Amazing Spiderman was actually good.

Like surprisingly good.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriclite View Post
The Amazing Spiderman was actually good.

Like surprisingly good.
I don't know, I watched all of the clips that came out and I was not pleased with what I saw. The basketball scene was really poorly edited, and being a professional video editor, that type of thing really pulls me out of a movie. The fact that it was another origin story really turned me off from the reboot. I'm so sick of origin stories.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Oh, I see. I still haven't seen First Class so I can't comment on how that turned out. I just think this is an example of Fox being a difficult studio for directors to just do their thing. X-Men 3 and Wolverine were disasters and I really can't place all of the blame on the directors. It sucks because the X-Men are among my favorite comic book characters and I really think they deserve more quality films. That's the same way I feel about Spider-Man and is why I didn't see the last movie.
I think quality is going to be completely a subjective outlook depending on the viewer. Personally, I enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man more than the first Spider-Man by Raimi, but of course it could have been greatly improved. I think you should get around to First Class because as others have mentioned, it's definitely a more 'fun' approach than its predecessors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I don't know, I watched all of the clips that came out and I was not pleased with what I saw. The basketball scene was really poorly edited, and being a professional video editor, that type of thing really pulls me out of a movie. The fact that it was another origin story really turned me off from the reboot. I'm so sick of origin stories.
The early clips also scared me off initially, but after actually seeing the finished product I was impressed. Yes it is an origin story, but it stands alone against Raimi's.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 PM
First Class was pretty good, considering they used absolutely some of the lamest X-Men around. As someone who's seen every episode of the animated series, seen all the films, and casually kept up with the comics, even I had very little connection to the mutants they chose. (Outside of ones we've seen before and Emma, of course.)

The makeup on both Beast and Mystique were horrid. Horrid, horrid. Jennifer Lawrence was a terrible choice. Fuck canon, Kelsey Grammar was born to play Beast.

Charles and Erik? Superb. Even Kevin Bacon was good as the villain. But I cant even remember his characters name and I've seen the film a few times.

I will always love Bryan Singer. The very first scene of X-Men, the nazi camp scene, that's the first scene I can remember in any genre film, where I went, "Damn, that was powerful." It was powerful enough for Vaughn to re-use it in his movie too, I guess. It carried such weight; raw emotion. Then the scene that followed, seeing Patrick and Ian facing each other, that changed the game there, for every comic book fan everywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
First Class was pretty good, considering they used absolutely some of the lamest X-Men around. As someone who's seen every episode of the animated series, seen all the films, and casually kept up with the comics, even I had very little connection to the mutants they chose. (Outside of ones we've seen before and Emma, of course.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
The makeup on both Beast and Mystique were horrid. Horrid, horrid. Jennifer Lawrence was a terrible choice. Fuck canon, Kelsey Grammar was born to play Beast.
Ah, sadly Kelsey was a case of right guy, wrong movie.

I don't think Lawrence was bad, it seemed more like this part of Mystique's life was her at her least interesting.

Definitely agree about the Beast make-up, they went waaaay too far in making him look more animal then the balance that Beast originally was before the secondary mutation. Considering where the technology has gone, I'm very agreeable to augmenting a Beast performance with some CGI animation/ motion capture technology. Like how they did it for Abe Sapien and Samael in in the water scenes in Hellboy. There's a visible limit to his agility using just the wires, and that includes X3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Charles and Erik? Superb. Even Kevin Bacon was good as the villain. But I cant even remember his characters name and I've seen the film a few times.
You've kept up with the comics, but you can't remember Bacon being Sebastian Shaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
I will always love Bryan Singer. The very first scene of X-Men, the nazi camp scene, that's the first scene I can remember in any genre film, where I went, "Damn, that was powerful." It was powerful enough for Vaughn to re-use it in his movie too, I guess. It carried such weight; raw emotion. Then the scene that followed, seeing Patrick and Ian facing each other, that changed the game there, for every comic book fan everywhere.
Well considering that X-Men:First Class' existence originally began as X-Men Origins: Magneto (The project/titling changed after the dismal reception for XO:Wolverine) the Holocaust imagery was important because First Class is really Magneto's origin story.




Btw, recently I had this sort of epiphany recently about the fact that we may finally be getting Sentinels in this First Class sequel. I think based on the success in terms of technology and possible cost analysis in regards to creating them, the Transformer films may actually be part of the reason why we're finally going to see Sentinels in an X-Men film. Singer had said that the production originally designed a Sentinel for X2 but the cost was past their budget so they nixed the whole thing. Considering certain technologies and software applications get marginally cheaper the older they are, it may have finally seemed feasible to cost-effectively use the same software from the first Transformer film for CGI in a film rendered in 2013-2014.

Of course this does not factor in the cost of manpower... these things don't animate themselves.

Last edited by electriclite; 11-03-2012 at 03:58 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
I think quality is going to be completely a subjective outlook depending on the viewer. Personally, I enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man more than the first Spider-Man by Raimi, but of course it could have been greatly improved. I think you should get around to First Class because as others have mentioned, it's definitely a more 'fun' approach than its predecessors.
Don't get me wrong, I really want to watch First Class. The only reason I haven't seen it is because I switched my Netflix account to streaming-only to save money, and it's never been available there. I just got a raise so I added the disc delivery back to my account and First Class is one of the first movies I intend on catching up with.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
The early clips also scared me off initially, but after actually seeing the finished product I was impressed. Yes it is an origin story, but it stands alone against Raimi's.
Yeah... I dunno, I have a lot of hesitation still. I'm more than willing to check out the sequel that will forego all of the origin story stuff. But in its current form I am really struggling to see TASM as anything but a desperate attempt from a studio to retain the rights of a character rather than doing that character justice.

I'd just rather spend my time exploring a movie with a completely original story/concept than a "new take" on something I saw just 12 years prior. I'm sure there are a lot of positive elements to that movie, but I'm particularly harsh on remakes and reboots because I simply appreciate films with more originality and creativity.

It all comes down to personal taste, and the reboot/remake trend is a big turnoff for me. My time is precious, and there is a plethora of classic/foreign films made with passion and creativity so it's hard for me to justify spending 2 hours watching the latest comic book cash grab. Again, I'm a fan of the Spider-Man character so I'm definitely torn, but you vote with your wallet, and I'm a stubborn bastard; so I refuse to watch something that, in my opinion, doesn't do the character justice.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-03-2012, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post

Yeah... I dunno, I have a lot of hesitation still. I'm more than willing to check out the sequel that will forego all of the origin story stuff. But in its current form I am really struggling to see TASM as anything but a desperate attempt from a studio to retain the rights of a character rather than doing that character justice.

I'd just rather spend my time exploring a movie with a completely original story/concept than a "new take" on something I saw just 12 years prior. I'm sure there are a lot of positive elements to that movie, but I'm particularly harsh on remakes and reboots because I simply appreciate films with more originality and creativity.

It all comes down to personal taste, and the reboot/remake trend is a big turnoff for me. My time is precious, and there is a plethora of classic/foreign films made with passion and creativity so it's hard for me to justify spending 2 hours watching the latest comic book cash grab. Again, I'm a fan of the Spider-Man character so I'm definitely torn, but you vote with your wallet, and I'm a stubborn bastard; so I refuse to watch something that, in my opinion, doesn't do the character justice.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here, and I totally was turned off to TASM for all those same reasons. I also really didn't care about Spiderman, and the Raimi films just really weren't my thing. The effects were great and he did do a great job with them, the material and tone just never really set me on fire.

After I read some mixed early reviews for TASM I was sure I wasn't even gonna watch it. Then a friend of mine invited me to see it with him and I had tried to get out of it, but he kept rescheduling and he said he'd pay for me to see so that's when I gave in. And I was shocked, shocked at how much I liked it, and I didn't care about Spiderman or the films but I actually did this one. I liked the tone, I really liked the performances and I liked the direction.

I mean for a "cash grab", this a quality cash grab, which I was totally not expecting at all.

With that in mind there are of course people who didn't like it for the exact same reasons I did. Maybe with you're lowered expectations you may actually like it, maybe not.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-03-2012, 03:09 AM
There are a lot of reasons why I liked The Amazing Spider-Man more than Raimi's movies. For one, I think Andrew Garfield is a better Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire. Second, Garfield and Emma Stone have much better chemistry than Maguire and Kirsten Dunst did.

Martin Sheen cast as Uncle Ben was a stroke of genius. He was great, although Uncle Ben's death was handled way better in Raimi's movie. That is one thing I will give Raimi's movie. Another thing I'll give Raimi's movie is Rosemarie Harris. She was a truly wonderful Aunt May. Better than Sally Field, though to be fair, Sally Field had barely anything to do in The Amazing Spider-Man.

Finally, I really love the mystery surrounding the disappearance of Peter's parents. And their connection to Oscorp. Some very intriguing stuff that was just barely scratched on the surface and I'm looking forward to them delving into more in the upcoming sequel.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-16-2012, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
There are a lot of reasons why I liked The Amazing Spider-Man more than Raimi's movies. For one, I think Andrew Garfield is a better Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire. Second, Garfield and Emma Stone have much better chemistry than Maguire and Kirsten Dunst did.

Martin Sheen cast as Uncle Ben was a stroke of genius. He was great, although Uncle Ben's death was handled way better in Raimi's movie. That is one thing I will give Raimi's movie. Another thing I'll give Raimi's movie is Rosemarie Harris. She was a truly wonderful Aunt May. Better than Sally Field, though to be fair, Sally Field had barely anything to do in The Amazing Spider-Man.

Finally, I really love the mystery surrounding the disappearance of Peter's parents. And their connection to Oscorp. Some very intriguing stuff that was just barely scratched on the surface and I'm looking forward to them delving into more in the upcoming sequel.
Pretty much everything you said here.

Oh and X-Men: DOFP....I have high high hopes. I love that story. I will be thrilled if it's on par with or better than FC..Realistically though, If it is a bad film more in line with Origins or Last Stand I will, unfortunately, probably be done with the X movies for at least a couple of entries. Too much disappointment. Like a roller coaster ride of a relationship, it is straining to how much I care about a franchise...especially one of which I grew up with and have held onto my love for over the years, all stemming from the comics and animated series which to me have always 100% defined that universe.

Seriously, it's like X-Men: EH, X2: YES!, LS: :-/, Origins: NIGH! NIGH! NIGH!, FC: YES! YES! EH! YES!, I can't take much more.

Last edited by marilynMONROBOT; 11-16-2012 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 11-16-2012, 01:13 PM
In case any of you wondered:

Quote:
Newly reestablished director Bryan Singer took to Twitter to answer a key question — whether his return to the director's chair also means the return of the black leather uniforms from his original X-Men movies:

"For those of you wondering... no leather suits. #xmen"

It would seem the more colorful, traditional-looking uniforms introduced in X-Men: First Class are more or less here to stay. [@BryanSinger]
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriclite View Post
In case any of you wondered:
I really want to see something along the lines of Fassbender's outfit at the end of FC, very classic Animated Series look, and I am of course cool with this tweet..but for all we know this could mean that they will be in updated, albeit leatherless, versions of the test suit from Burton and Cage's Superman endeavor. Haha...that would suck so hard that I would probably be into it just to watch my childhood get repeatedly shot in the dick on the big screen.

Last edited by marilynMONROBOT; 11-16-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-16-2012, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
Singer reminds me a lot of Peter Jackson: he's really only good when it comes to directing movies based in the universe he loves so much. I thought X2 is easily the best X-Men movie and quite arguably in the top ten comic book movies. I like the more grounded approach Singer offers, but it'll be interesting to see how he deals with this since Wolverine is no longer the focus. I personally thought First Class was overrated and didn't like the ending--specifically the way Charles ends up so early.
1. BTW Singer only produced X-Men : First Class ... Matthew Vaugh actually was the director ( Singer was only the director for X-Men 1 & 2 ).He left X3 to direct Superman Returns but will return as a director for XMOFP

2. Lots of discrepancy between the 2 universe ... especially the reason with Xavier is in a wheelchair but i can live with that

DOFP will rule if it can manage to bridge the gap between the 2 timelines.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Stewart and McKellan signed to reprise their roles?

This is either going to be amazing or awful and I am not sure which.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
1. BTW Singer only produced X-Men : First Class ... Matthew Vaugh actually was the director ( Singer was only the director for X-Men 1 & 2 ).He left X3 to direct Superman Returns but will return as a director for XMOFP

2. Lots of discrepancy between the 2 universe ... especially the reason with Xavier is in a wheelchair but i can live with that

DOFP will rule if it can manage to bridge the gap between the 2 timelines.
I know Singer didn't direct X3 and First Class, I should have been more specific when talking about the X-Men universe and who directed what. There's really no continuity in this series, but I just ignore X3 and Wolverine to begin with because it's not in the same line as X-Men, X2 and First Class which is more of linear continuation.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Stewart and McKellan signed to reprise their roles?

This is either going to be amazing or awful and I am not sure which.
I'd go on the side of amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
I know Singer didn't direct X3 and First Class, I should have been more specific when talking about the X-Men universe and who directed what. There's really no continuity in this series, but I just ignore X3 and Wolverine to begin with because it's not in the same line as X-Men, X2 and First Class which is more of linear continuation.
You know, whats the big deal with continuity?

I mean, when you try to keep everything in THREE SEPARATE FILM FRANCHISES in continuity with each other, whats the point. I hink the viewing audience is just dumb enough to not even really notice, given a single line of explanatory dialogue.

Comic books are, like basically never in continuity anymore. Soda can agree with that. Youve got 3 X-films, 2 First Class Films and 2 Wolverine films. Its not really important and it could likely screw up a film if it were to ignore it.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
I'd go on the side of amazing.
Agreed. MacAvoy and Fassbender were pretty freaking awesome in First Class. And the thought of them working with Stewart and McKellan just sounds too good to be true! I can't freaking wait for this movie now! I couldn't be more excited!!!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 AM
For those wondering how they could do this without Wolverine...

...they can't.

Hugh Jackman in negotiations to reprise his role as Wolverine in First Class sequel

So the only question left to ask is will he have bone claws or adamantium in the past?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Damn. Who else are they gonna get back? Kelsey Grammar? Rebecca Romijn? Halle Berry? Anna Paquin? James Marsden? I mean, yeah, I know Cyclops died in X-Men: The Last Stand but his death could easily be fixed since it happened OFF SCREEN. And besides, if you are gonna go by X-Men: The Last Stand then they have another problem to take care involving Xavier. His soul appears to be in another mutant's body. Or at least that's what I got out of that post credit scene.

Anyway, my excitement level for this movie went through the roof upon hearing about Stewart and McKellan. Now I couldn't be more excited about this project.

If this story revolves around the assassination of a senator that leaves to a bad future, wouldn't it be super cool if the senator was Senator Kelly from the first movie? Then it almost pretty much makes the franchise come into full circle. That would be really awesome IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Damn. Who else are they gonna get back? Kelsey Grammar? Rebecca Romijn? Halle Berry? Anna Paquin? James Marsden? I mean, yeah, I know Cyclops died in X-Men: The Last Stand but his death could easily be fixed since it happened OFF SCREEN. And besides, if you are gonna go by X-Men: The Last Stand then they have another problem to take care involving Xavier. His soul appears to be in another mutant's body. Or at least that's what I got out of that post credit scene.

Anyway, my excitement level for this movie went through the roof upon hearing about Stewart and McKellan. Now I couldn't be more excited about this project.

If this story revolves around the assassination of a senator that leaves to a bad future, wouldn't it be super cool if the senator was Senator Kelly from the first movie? Then it almost pretty much makes the franchise come into full circle. That would be really awesome IMO.

Rebecca Romijn already appeared in First Class. And I'm going to assume that much like Superman 3, Singer is going to completely ignore the events of the 3rd X-Men film.

And please God no Halle Berry. She didn't do much to begin with I don't see why she needs to come back. In fact if you do have to bring Storm back, recast the part and/or do a complete re-write of the character so she can exist in this earlier timeline... preferably in the 80's with her white mohawk.

In fact we don't need to respect the timeline of the other films. The First Class films can be like the comics and exist in a separate universe where a new take can be given to the characters. The sequel is going to re-work the original story in ways that adhere to the terrain that the films (that Singer and Vaughn directed) have already covered. Consider the fact that Kitty Pryde was an actual character in X3, a film Singer didn't direct, and we can assume won't keep as canon in his X-Men universe, so her role may either be re-worked into a new character (like Bishop in XM-TAS) or Singer will recast her and set her up as a new class member in the late 60's/early 70's (whenever this film will be set) and disregard her appearance in X3 altogether.

Last edited by electriclite; 11-29-2012 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
You know, whats the big deal with continuity?

I mean, when you try to keep everything in THREE SEPARATE FILM FRANCHISES in continuity with each other, whats the point. I hink the viewing audience is just dumb enough to not even really notice, given a single line of explanatory dialogue.

Comic books are, like basically never in continuity anymore. Soda can agree with that. Youve got 3 X-films, 2 First Class Films and 2 Wolverine films. Its not really important and it could likely screw up a film if it were to ignore it.
But are they really trying to keep everything separate? Like I said, if you completely ignore X3 and Wolverine, First Class fits perfectly (besides Charles ending up in a wheelchair a little too early in their friendship) with Singer's first two X-Men films. Now, with The Wolverine it's suppose to pick up right after the end of X3 with Logan still trying to get over the lost of Jen, but now he's going to be in X-Men Day of Future Past which is fine if they just use the time travel element like it was used in Star Trek to pretend X3 never happened.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-22-2012, 01:06 AM
AWESOME:


Whatever they have to negotiate with Marvel.... they have to do this concept as one of their movie posters. That comic book cover is just too epic not to copy.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-22-2012, 06:40 AM
To those who have read the comic , which group is going to be the protagonist? the new cast or the old cast?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-22-2012, 07:45 AM
I love the way this movie's shaping up: "old cast meets new cast." I'm thinking the "old cast" - possibly with the exception of Hugh Jackman - will mostly be cameos to supporting roles. Not that I have a problem with that, but I think Fox's and Marvel's intentions are to move forward with the "First Class" characters and actors.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
To those who have read the comic , which group is going to be the protagonist? the new cast or the old cast?
The new cast of FC would make more sense imo ... the old cast of the original trilogy would be as support.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-22-2012, 11:16 AM
This could be really epic if done right. The main issue I have with Singer's first two films is the reliance of Wolverine as the main character. I felt First Class juggled it's heroes much better imo.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
AWESOME:


Whatever they have to negotiate with Marvel.... they have to do this concept as one of their movie posters. That comic book cover is just too epic not to copy.
m sure someone could whip something like that up.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-22-2012, 11:06 PM
X-MEN: FUTURES PAST

My number one picks:


For the Role of Bishop: SAMUEL L. JACKSON. (Perfect match!)

For the Role of Forge: MORGAN FREEMAN. (Perfect match!)

For the Role of Shard: VIVICA A. FOX. (Perfect match!)


And for the Role of Wolverine.... HUGH JACKMAN. Bring it on.

Last edited by ResidentWakeVille; 12-22-2012 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-23-2012, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 View Post
This could be really epic if done right. The main issue I have with Singer's first two films is the reliance of Wolverine as the main character. I felt First Class juggled it's heroes much better imo.
Completely agree. Singer placed too much emphasis on Wolverine in his X-Men movies whereas First Class really gave Charles and Erik each their fair share of screen time although some would argue that Magneto is the 'main' character. I hope Singer learned somethings from the success of FC and he'll implement some of those things with his own spin.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentWakeVille View Post
My number one picks:


For the Role of Bishop: SAMUEL L. JACKSON. (Perfect match!)
Will never happen - he's Nick Fury.

I'm kind of hoping for Djimon Hounsou or Idris Elba, myself.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I know he played Spawn but Michael Jai-White deserves another shot at superhero-dom ..... if Chris Evans could be in like 5 comic-book adaptation.

and you need a beefcake for Bishop ... just add a long hair wig and you are set !



quick quick before they snatch him for Black Panther lol
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 AM
I liked Michael Jai White as Spawn, it's a shame that film was so disappointing. I would like to see them try again now that TDK has paved the way for darker comic book movies.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Hell, he'd be a perfect Bishop.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
You know, whats the big deal with continuity?

I mean, when you try to keep everything in THREE SEPARATE FILM FRANCHISES in continuity with each other, whats the point. I hink the viewing audience is just dumb enough to not even really notice, given a single line of explanatory dialogue.

Comic books are, like basically never in continuity anymore. Soda can agree with that. Youve got 3 X-films, 2 First Class Films and 2 Wolverine films. Its not really important and it could likely screw up a film if it were to ignore it.
Actually, Marvel and DC have distinct views on the subject of Continuity:

-There's the Marvel way, which can best be summarized as the "Jedi Mind Trick" approach. Whenever Marvel wants to go in a different direction, that completely contradicts what came before, they just wave their hand in your face and say "these aren't the driods that you are looking for". Joe Quesada is very, very fond of saying that Marvel "doesn't do reboots" (a dig at DC, which does), and technically, he's correct, but as a practical matter, Marvel has never needed to reboot things because they just ignore whatever is inconvienent.

-Then, there's the DC way, which is much more complicated DC does reboot things every so often, but whenever they do, they feel compelled to give an "in story" explanation, so that it's not technically a reboot. When DC wanted to go in another direction with Superman, amongst other characters, for the new 52 (Make him younger, and not married or dating Lois), DC had an in-story expanation for it: Pandora re-wrote history, post-Flashpoint. When DC rebooted their universe in the mid-80s, and got rid of the multi-verse, they also had an in-story explanation: the anti-monitor destroyed the multi-verse, leaving only one earth, which was re-started. That's how earth-2 Helena Wayne and Dick Grayson died. (my conspiracy theory is that they never really did, as you don't see them die on panel) Oh, and Barry Allen and Kara Zor-el also bit the bullet, which was kinda important.

One would think that the DC way would be more consistent, but history shows this isn't the case. After COIE, when all the earth-2 characters were wiped out, DC decided that they wanted to keep Power Girl (comics needs nothing, if not a little eye candy), which led to twenty years of continuity headaches, re-writes, and confusion. They wanted Power Girl, a core Earth-2 character, without ever mentioning that she was from Earth-2, so obviously, her history had to be re-worked, but none of it made any sense (because Clark already had an Earth-1 cousin from Krypton) so it was re-worked again, and again. The same thing happend to Hawkman.

Marvel, at least, doesn't pretend that any of it is supposed to make perfect sense. When Joss Wheddon wants to bring back Collussus, there's no discussion of all the continuity problems this would create, Collussus just walks back in the room and says "I got better". Which approach you prefer is largely a matter of taste and preference, but the Marvel way is probably the more accessible. To each his own.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Didnt have a chance to read everyhting on this forum about the rumored storyline for the film but I did read about new cast meets old cast? Anyone read All New X-Men? Are they using this because that storyline is being used right now? I know the Days of future past story but from what i hear they are using that title but going with a all new xmen like story. using both can be smart to retcon the old Xmen movies (especially X3)lol

Last edited by venom718; 01-10-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soda View Post
Actually, Marvel and DC have distinct views on the subject of Continuity:

-There's the Marvel way, which can best be summarized as the "Jedi Mind Trick" approach. Whenever Marvel wants to go in a different direction, that completely contradicts what came before, they just wave their hand in your face and say "these aren't the driods that you are looking for". Joe Quesada is very, very fond of saying that Marvel "doesn't do reboots" (a dig at DC, which does), and technically, he's correct, but as a practical matter, Marvel has never needed to reboot things because they just ignore whatever is inconvienent.

-Then, there's the DC way, which is much more complicated DC does reboot things every so often, but whenever they do, they feel compelled to give an "in story" explanation, so that it's not technically a reboot. When DC wanted to go in another direction with Superman, amongst other characters, for the new 52 (Make him younger, and not married or dating Lois), DC had an in-story expanation for it: Pandora re-wrote history, post-Flashpoint. When DC rebooted their universe in the mid-80s, and got rid of the multi-verse, they also had an in-story explanation: the anti-monitor destroyed the multi-verse, leaving only one earth, which was re-started. That's how earth-2 Helena Wayne and Dick Grayson died. (my conspiracy theory is that they never really did, as you don't see them die on panel) Oh, and Barry Allen and Kara Zor-el also bit the bullet, which was kinda important.

One would think that the DC way would be more consistent, but history shows this isn't the case. After COIE, when all the earth-2 characters were wiped out, DC decided that they wanted to keep Power Girl (comics needs nothing, if not a little eye candy), which led to twenty years of continuity headaches, re-writes, and confusion. They wanted Power Girl, a core Earth-2 character, without ever mentioning that she was from Earth-2, so obviously, her history had to be re-worked, but none of it made any sense (because Clark already had an Earth-1 cousin from Krypton) so it was re-worked again, and again. The same thing happend to Hawkman.

Marvel, at least, doesn't pretend that any of it is supposed to make perfect sense. When Joss Wheddon wants to bring back Collussus, there's no discussion of all the continuity problems this would create, Collussus just walks back in the room and says "I got better". Which approach you prefer is largely a matter of taste and preference, but the Marvel way is probably the more accessible. To each his own.
http://io9.com/5973947/does-it-matte...ies-and-comics

Right now, Peter Parker is dead in two universes. Dr. Octopus just became Spider-Man, and Miles Morales became Spidey in the Ultimate Uni a while back.

Its like I said, the films can have their own continuity. They can have their own canon. I care less and less that the films match the comics, if they think they can do it better then great.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
http://io9.com/5973947/does-it-matte...ies-and-comics

Right now, Peter Parker is dead in two universes. Dr. Octopus just became Spider-Man, and Miles Morales became Spidey in the Ultimate Uni a while back.

Its like I said, the films can have their own continuity. They can have their own canon. I care less and less that the films match the comics, if they think they can do it better then great.
And this has pissed a lot of fans off. However, the thing that's pissed off more fans than any of that (which you didn't mention, BTW) is that Marvel has done something that no one thought they'd ever do: they cancelled their flagship title, Amazing Spider-man. For the first time in nearly 50 years, Marvel no longer publishes Amazing Spider-man every month. Now, yes, this is just a case of semantics, as the "new" Amazing Spider-man is titled Superior Spiderman, but there are a lot of collectors I know who collect Amazing religiously. Needless to say, this has made more than a few of them POed.

I've heard many theories as to why this, and the other wholesale changes to the Spidey-verse have happened. Needless to say, it wasn't because of flagging sales or readership, with the (relative) success of the last movie, interst spiked. The theory I've heard that makes the most sense to me is that this is part of some weird power-play by Marvel/Disney to get the rights to Spiderman back from Sony. However, that's just a rumor, and the reality is, I don't know why Marvel has chosen this route.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom718 View Post
Didnt have a chance to read everyhting on this forum about the rumored storyline for the film but I did read about new cast meets old cast? Anyone read All New X-Men? Are they using this because that storyline is being used right now? I know the Days of future past story but from what i hear they are using that title but going with a all new xmen like story. using both can be smart to retcon the old Xmen movies (especially X3)lol
**Raises hand** All New X-men is pretty awesome, the look on Scott's face when Hank tells him that he needs him (Scott) to travel to the future with him (Hank) to stop his (Scott's) future self is priceless.

I guess days of Future Past is kinda like that, in the sense that the future x-men travel to the past to try to stop the assassination that sent mutants off the cliff. All new x-men promises to be the proverbial convoluted time travel story, and we'll see where Marvel goes with it. I, for one, will read this with great interest.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 AM
i read some and know some about comics but Soda is a real reference in the domain.

If Joblo had a LIKE button , i'd click on anything Soda
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump