Old 11-26-2012, 09:34 PM
I don't know if anybody has any idea on this, but this year we could have a Director field with all Oscar Winners. Ben Affleck has a screenplay Oscar. Has this happened before?

I can see this scenario helping Tom Hooper, because there won't be any director who's seen as due, which includes himself. But if Lez Miz is the frontrunner, I don't see why they would have a problem giving him another win, especially with the other contenders being Oscar Winners anyway. Affleck can be helped by not having won Director before, but right now, I don't see Argo winning. If this happens, then you have to assume that Best Director and Best Picture will go to the same film, whether it's Lez Miz, Lincoln, or Zero Dark Thirty.

And I realize David O. Russell is in the mix, but I don't see him getting nominated.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 11-26-2012 at 09:37 PM..
Old 11-26-2012, 10:53 PM
David O. Russell definitely deserves a best director nomination considering that he's a big reason why the movie is as great as it is. Only Russell could have juggled the movie's many different tonal shifts and not come off as a mess. Of course, the acting is another reason why the movie works as beautifully as it does and the screenplay too. But Russell's involvement can not be over stated. I really do doubt the movie would have been nearly as successful as it was without him.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Guru's are out: http://www.goldderby.com/news/3635/l...472185396.html

As predicted. Les Miz in the lead, Argo and Lincoln tight 2nd and 3rd spot.

Glad to see Ben Affleck topping director's. I can't wrap my head around Tom Hooper receiving a second Oscar in three years.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post

Glad to see Ben Affleck topping director's. I can't wrap my head around Tom Hooper receiving a second Oscar in three years.
That may be, But Le Miz looks SO much better than The King's Speech which was incredibly overrated IMO. I might go so far as to call it one of the worst best picture winners ever. It's definitely up there IMO.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
That may be, But Le Miz looks SO much better than The King's Speech which was incredibly overrated IMO. I might go so far as to call it one of the worst best picture winners ever. It's definitely up there IMO.
I realize these things are subjective, but Braveheart and Shakespeare in Love are significantly worse films than The King's Speech. And don't even get me started on Forrest Gump.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
I realize these things are subjective, but Braveheart and Shakespeare in Love are significantly worse films than The King's Speech. And don't even get me started on Forrest Gump.
I subjectively disagree with this.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I agree with JCR on Shakespeare in Love but not Braveheart and Forrest Gump.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:
I agree with JCR on Shakespeare in Love but not Braveheart and Forrest Gump.
This.

The King's Speech has a good first half hour and a good final ten minutes, and a whole lot of nothing interesting in between.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post

The King's Speech has a good first half hour and a good final ten minutes, and a whole lot of nothing interesting in between.
I can agree with this. The movie, though far from Oscar material, was still nonetheless fine during the scenes between Firth and Rush in his therapy scenes. But the movie delves into tedium when they start to go into the reason why he stutters and the whole family drama stuff. It just didn't work for me at all. The movie does bounce back up slightly at the end, when we are rooting for him to successfully deliver his big speech at the end.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Totally forgot about King's Speech. That's how good that was. Forrest Gump and Shakespeare in Love, equally bad. But I have a soft spot for Braveheart

Good news for this year is that out of the potential Oscar nominees, not including the unseen yet like Les Miz, ZD30, Django and The Hobbit, there are a lot of great movies. Silver Linings Playbook and Flight are the only two weak links according to my count.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:14 AM
Life of Pi looks kind of meh to me. And I didn't care for The Master as well. But other than, all of the contenders are either excellent or look excellent. I mean, I wasn't as in love with Flight as I am with previous Robert Zemeckis movies, but it's still, nonetheless, a very compelling look at a guy who FINALLY admits to himself that he's very much an alcoholic and needs help.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 AM
The Independent Spirit Awards nominations were announced.

Personally, I think the wrong Seven Psychopaths co-star was nominated. Sam Rockwell was good, but I really think Walken was even better. But I appear to be in the minority in thinking that.

There were some movies in which I didn't even know they were independent films. Seven Psychopaths, in fact, is one of them. So is Silver Linings Playbook and End of Watch as well.

I wished Safety Not Guaranteed had gotten more love though it did get nominated for best first feature and first screenplay.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Life of Pi looks kind of meh to me.
I actually think you would really enjoy it. You may have the same issues with the final act that I did, but the rest of it is really, really good.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Life of Pi is the best evidence for what technology has done to and for cinema.

It has its spot in my top ten of the year so far. Its 3D is better than Avatars and last time I saw visual effects like that, well, Avatar. Except in this case, the story has a whole lotta heart and a pretty powerful message at the end (more about storytelling to me, than belief in God)

I would be completely shocked if you don't like Life of Pi, ilovemovies.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:25 PM
All of you are better informed than me, but these are what I consider total-locks to get nods. Nothing to do with my opinion of quality, necessarily.

Picture:

Les Miz
Lincoln (although I happen to agree with Bourne that it definitely won't win)
Life of Pi (which I pretty much hated)
Argo
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

Lead Actor:

DDL
Denzel
Hawkes
Phoenix
Huge Jackman

I feel like that's the five. I don't feel like it's Cooper's year. I think Hopkins gets in if Phoenix's comments keep him out.

Lead Actress:

Lawrence
Chastain
Wallis

Seems like those three can't possibly miss -- as sure as locks can get. Not at all confident after that.

Supporting Actor:

Hoffman
Jones
DiCaprio

I'm not feeling DeNiro. I'm probably wrong there. Kinda rooting against the one-note work of Arkin and Macy.

Supporting Actress:

Hathaway
Field
Hunt

Again, total locks to me. Can't see any feasible way they get derailed.

I know its a little boring to just list locks, but feel free to disagree if need be.

From what I've seen (which isn't nearly everything), the longshot that has at least a moderate chance that I'm most rooting for is Michael Pena in End of Watch. Just a fantastic, nuanced, measured performance. Jake G was great as well, but Pena was phenomenal in my mind.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post

From what I've seen (which isn't nearly everything), the longshot that has at least a moderate chance that I'm most rooting for is Michael Pena in End of Watch. Just a fantastic, nuanced, measured performance. Jake G was great as well, but Pena was phenomenal in my mind.
Then you'll be happy to know that Pena received an Independent Spirit Award nomination for best supporting actor.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't say Hunt is a total lock. The Sessions has been losing a lot of steam after peaking super early at Sundance. Adams is more of a lock, but don't ask me why. She really wasn't that good in The Master.

I have Hunt as my pick too, but if any other Supporting Actress comes around, she's the first to go I think. Trouble is, Supporting Actress looks like the weakest category this year with Hathaway almost certain to win it regardless of the other nominees.

Oh and I agree about Pena. Saw End of Watch last night, and it's too bad the director got off on doing music video montages and going a bit nuts with the shaky cam stuff. The performances were exceptional, especially Pena. His career best.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't say Hunt is a total lock. The Sessions has been losing a lot of steam after peaking super early at Sundance. Adams is more of a lock, but don't ask me why. She really wasn't that good in The Master.

I have Hunt as my pick too, but if any other Supporting Actress comes around, she's the first to go I think. Trouble is, Supporting Actress looks like the weakest category this year with Hathaway almost certain to win it regardless of the other nominees.
I get what you're saying dude... are there others besides those three that I'm missing that you feel are in the lead? Because if Adams is in, that makes four with Hunt... so two would have to come and uproot her, right? Again, not being disagreeable here, just wondering your line of thought. I think she'll be end up on most ballots pretty low, but there because of (as you said) the lack of viable replacements.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
I get what you're saying dude... are there others besides those three that I'm missing that you feel are in the lead? Because if Adams is in, that makes four with Hunt... so two would have to come and uproot her, right? Again, not being disagreeable here, just wondering your line of thought. I think she'll be end up on most ballots pretty low, but there because of (as you said) the lack of viable replacements.
Welll, Hunt's still in the lead over these ladies but depending on the campaign and the lifeline of The Sessions lots can happen

Maggie Smith for Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Ann Dowd for Compliance (a terrific performance and completely deserving of a spot, but the woman is financing the campaign herself so she's got a tough mountain to climb there)
Frances McDormand for Promised Land
Venessa Redgrave for Song of Marion
Jennifer Ehle for Zero Dark Thirty

Those are the potential ones that could spoil the party.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM
I think Hunt is very safe. That's a really weak category and in addition to the reception that her performance has received from critics, that movie will play particularly well in screener format. She was pretty much considered the frontrunner until Hathaway came along, so I don't see how she gets left out.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:36 PM
I don't think Adams is as safe as everybody thinks she is. She's an academy darling, but The Master isn't a movie that will be warmly embraced, like The Fighter was. While she did get very good reviews, she was overshadowed by the two guys. I could see her missing.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
The campaign to get Sylvester McCoy a supporting actor nomination starts here!
Just after I post that, what do the NY daily news do? Compare him to Jar Jar. Curses.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...sEnabled=false

EDIT: Just realized, that article has quite a large spoiler for the hobbit in it.

Last edited by JCR; 11-28-2012 at 09:12 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Quote:
I think Hunt is very safe. That's a really weak category and in addition to the reception that her performance has received from critics, that movie will play particularly well in screener format. She was pretty much considered the frontrunner until Hathaway came along, so I don't see how she gets left out.
She probably won't, but lots can happen in the next two months or so. Fields edged her out after Lincoln screened, so I disagree that she was the frontrunner before Hathaway. The 3rd and 4th spots are tight with Hunt and Adams now, from the way I see it. Anyway Helen Hunt seems like a super down-to-earth person, and even though she always plays Helen Hunt no matter what part she plays, she's excellent in The Sessions so I'd be happy to see her nominated.

anyways, the category is Hathaways, I had that feeling even before Les Miz screened and the reactions just confirmed it. It's going to go down as the most predictable category come Feb 24th.

In other news, I just came from seeing Anna Karenina. And WOW, the Academy will make a snub supreme combo if they ignore Keira Knightley for Best Actress and Jude Law for Supporting Actor. I know the latter is pretty much beating a dead horse, but he would truly deserve it. Knightley though, man, it's her best performance by a Russian country mile. Vronsky's character was completely mishandled, but Keira was the perfect Anna. The book is a masterpiece, can't really be filmed unless you make it into a 12 hour miniseries, but kudos to Wright for having so much fun in Tolstoy's world and getting Knightley for the part. Lawrence winning looks even more like a disaster result now. They got best actress completely right (well, not completely, Swinton was hella snubbed but they got the winner right anyways) last year, really hope they don't muck it up this year.

Last edited by DaMovieMan; 11-28-2012 at 09:19 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Lawrence winning looks even more like a disaster result now.
It's happening, so be prepared. For me it's the best female performance I've seen this year, so I'm not upset about it.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Quote:
It's happening, so be prepared. For me it's the best female performance I've seen this year, so I'm not upset about it.
I trust you haven't seen Amour, Rust & Bone, The Impossible and Anna Karenina yet?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Quote:
I trust you haven't seen Amour, Rust & Bone, The Impossible and Anna Karenina yet?
Saw Amour. She is right up there, for sure, but I preferred Jean-Louis Trintignant's performance. Haven't seen Rust & Bone (can't wait). With The Impossible I felt that Tom Holland kind of overshadowed everyone and Watts' character spent a lot of time off screen. I have no interest in seeing Anna Karenina.

I just thought Lawrence was really great. Great wit, great in emotional scenes, and more than holds her own in scene where De Niro is firing on all cylinders. O. Russell always gets great performances out of his actors, and I think he and Lawrence make a great team.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Time to refine my predictions for the Oscars I suppose.

BEST PICTURE

Life of Pi
Lincoln
Beasts of the Southern Wild
The Master
Argo
Silver Linings Playbook
Les Misérables
Moonrise Kingdom
Flight
Django Unchained

BEST DIRECTOR

Ben Affleck, Argo
Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
Paul Thomas Anderson, The Master
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Tom Hooper, Les Misérables

BEST ACTOR

Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Denzel Washington, Flight
John Hawkes, The Sessions
Bill Murray, Hyde Park on Hudson

BEST ACTRESS

Marion Cotillard, Rust and Bone
Quvenzhané Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Laura Linney, Hyde Park on Hudson
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Helen Mirren, Hitchcock

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Alan Arkin, Argo
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Leonardo DiCaprio, Django Unchained
Russell Crowe, Les Misérables

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Amy Adams, The Master
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables
Maggie Smith, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Sally Field, Lincoln

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Moonrise Kingdom
Django Unchained
The Master
Zero Dark Thirty
The Intouchables

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Argo
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Life of Pi

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Wreck-It Ralph
ParaNorman
Frankenweenie
The Secret World of Arrietty
The Rabbi's Cat

BEST FOREIGN-LANGUAGE FILM

Amour
The Intouchables
A Royal Affair
Beyond the Hills
Sister

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Bully
The Invisible War
Searching for Sugar Man
Marley

Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 PM
I'd say...

BEST PICTURE
Argo
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Impossible
Les Misérables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
The Master
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

...maybe Django Unchained, I'll have to wait for some reviews.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 AM

It is a very nice and so owesome thread and thanks Bourne101 for the details of Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Director etc.......... Academy Awards in year 2012
Old 11-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
Bill Murray, Hyde Park on Hudson[/I]
Not a chance. Hyde Park on Hudson pretty much got unanimously dismissed at all of its screenings. Murray got decent reviews, but it would have to take a LOT more than that to get him nominated in such a strong year. Frankly, he'll be lucky to get a Golden Globe nomination in the Comedy/Musical category, since even that's not a guarantee at this point.

My current predictions:

BEST PICTURE
Argo
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Les Miserables
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

Might also be nominated, depending on how many nominees there are: Django Unchained, The Impossible, The Master, Amour, Flight

BEST DIRECTOR
Ben Affleck, Argo
Kathryn Bigelow, Zero Dark Thirty
Tom Hooper, Les Miserables
David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook
Steven Spielberg, Lincoln

Other possibilities: Michael Haneke, Ang Lee, Quentin Tarantino

BEST ACTOR
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
John Hawkes, The Sessions
Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Denzel Washington, Flight

Other possibilities: Bradley Cooper, Anthony Hopkins (though he's looking less and less likely)

BEST ACTRESS
Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts, The Impossible

Other possibilities: Marion Cotillard, Helen Mirren, Keira Knightley

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Alan Arkin, Argo
Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Eddie Redmayne, Les Miserables

Other possibilities: Leonardo DiCaprio (I have a hard time predicting him without knowing how the movie will be received), Russell Crowe, Ewan McGregor, and maybe even Matthew McConaughey

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Samantha Barks, Les Miserables
Sally Field, Lincoln
Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Maggie Smith, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Other possibilities: Amanda Seyfried, Amy Adams

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Amour
Flight
The Master
Moonrise Kingdom
Zero Dark Thirty

Other possibilities: Django Unchained, The Intouchables, Middle of Nowhere, Looper

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Argo
Lincoln
Les Miserables
Silver Linings Playbook

Other possibilities: Life of Pi, The Sessions
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM
How the Gurus see things at the end of November..

http://moviecitynews.com/2012/11/gur...d-of-november/

I honestly thought Adams and Hunt were tighter but it looks like Adams is barely holding on (like some of you predicted) and Hunt is almost surely in.

Lincoln doing pretty good though.

December, as always, will reveal all.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 PM
New York Film Critics:

Best Picture: Zero Dark Thirty
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow - Zero Dark Thirty
Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis - Lincoln
Best Actress: Rachel Weisz - The Deep Blue Sea (!)
Best Supporting Actor: Matthew McConaughey - Bernie/Magic Mike
Best Supporting Actress: Sally Field - Lincoln
Best Screenplay: Lincoln
Best Foreign Language Film: Amour
Best Cinematography: Zero Dark Thirty
Best Documentary: The Central Park Five
Best Animated: Frankenweenie
Best First Film: How to Survive a Plague
Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Sally Field? Really? I expected the love for Lincoln, but I thought she was one of the worst things about the film, and those scenes were terrible in general. I knew it would be either Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln or The Master in the big categories. A bit of a shame that they ignored The Master, but I'm glad that the Lincoln love fest didn't extend into the two top categories. Zero Dark looks like a much more interesting film.

While I haven't seen The Deep Blue Sea, I'm glad that they went with someone unexpected here. Fuck Jeff Wells and his implication that only frontrunners in the Oscar race should win the critic awards.

As for frontrunner status, you are right DaMovieMan that December will reveal all, but I think you are right in that Lincoln might end up taking it. I guess I underestimated how much love there is for it after the initial reviews seemed rather polite. I'll never understand it, but yeah, I agree with you now.

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-03-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
New York Film Critics:

Best Picture: Zero Dark Thirty
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow - Zero Dark Thirty
Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis - Lincoln
Best Actress: Rachel Weisz - The Deep Blue Sea (!)
Best Supporting Actress: Sally Field - Lincoln
Best Screenplay: Lincoln
Best Foreign Language Film: Amour
Best Cinematography: Zero Dark Thirty
Best Documentary: The Central Park Five
Best Animated: Frankenweenie
Best First Film: How to Survive a Plague
WTF

I have to stop putting off The Deep Blue Sea
Old 12-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
WTF

I have to stop putting off The Deep Blue Sea
It's really good. It came out so long ago that I had forgotten about it, but these awards just prompted me to put Weisz on my Best Actress list. She's quite good, but I don't know how well it will translate to an actual nomination. This may be the best it will get.

I LOL at the comments by the Jean Teasdale of Oscar blogging* that Lincoln is too "cerebral" for the masses, that they have to "do the work" but this person can't even sit through 20 minutes of Deep Blue Sea.

*credit to Jaime Christley

Quote:
Sally Field? Really? I expected the love for Lincoln, but I thought she was one of the worst things about the film, and those scenes were terrible in general.
I agree. Her fussbudget acting style grates. All I can ever see her doing is "The whole time?? The whole time?? THE WHOLE TIME!!!!" scene from Mrs. Doubtfire.

Hmm, I wonder who the LA film critics will pick for actress. I don't think there are any prominent Korean performances this year, are there?

Last edited by Lazy Boy; 12-03-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Quote:
I LOL at the comments by the Jean Teasdale of Oscar blogging* that Lincoln is too "cerebral" for the masses, that they have to "do the work" but this person can't even sit through 20 minutes of Deep Blue Sea.
Hahaha. I assume you are referring to Sasha Stone, the biggest embarrassment in Oscar blogging.

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder who the LA film critics will pick for actress. I don't think there are any prominent Korean performances this year, are there?
I'm betting on Riva.

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-03-2012 at 02:35 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Should have got it for Killer Joe, too.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Quote:
How the Gurus see things at the end of November..

http://moviecitynews.com/2012/11/gur...d-of-november/

I honestly thought Adams and Hunt were tighter but it looks like Adams is barely holding on (like some of you predicted) and Hunt is almost surely in.

Lincoln doing pretty good though.

December, as always, will reveal all.
Man, Haneke and Amour have been moving up the charts and they seem to be gaining momentum now when it really counts. Obviously they're on the bubble now but it would definitely give me a little love for the academy if they actually nominated Amour/Haneke.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM
some seriously surprising choices - I was following along all morning - there was serious outrage on twitter
Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Man, Haneke and Amour have been moving up the charts and they seem to be gaining momentum now when it really counts. Obviously they're on the bubble now but it would definitely give me a little love for the academy if they actually nominated Amour/Haneke.
I'm actually surprised that it's getting the amount of buzz that it is. People act like it's this out of left field warm film from Haneke, but I'd argue it's one of the most cold and clinical films he's made. I liked it, but I don't know if that kind of story suits his sensibilities. There's always been a sense of mystery and unease in his films. There isn't much of that here. It's basically just two hours of watching someone die and the effect that it has on the husband. There's an obvious metaphorical pigeon thrown in the mix, but not much else. I also found that purely from a direction standpoint, it's one of his weaker efforts. It's the performances that really carry it.