Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Fast-food workers in NYC flex their muscle for better pay

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/fast...-pay-1C7333668
Quote:
Occupy the drive-thru: Fast-food workers in New York City staged a walkout on Thursday to demand better pay and the right to unionize in another recent example of labor stretching muscles made moribund by disuse.

Organizers of the Fast Food Forward movement said they expected hundreds of workers would walk out or not show up for work at dozens of McDonald’s, Burger King and other fast-food chains.

At one early morning demonstration, roughly 75 percent of shift workers were outside protesting, leaving managers to staff the registers and preparation equipment, said Jonathan Westin, organizing director with New York Communities for Change, one of the groups coordinating the walkouts.

“Workers are sick and tired of making poverty wages,” despite working for multibillion-dollar corporations, he said. “I don’t think this is a short-term fight.”

Joshua Williams, 28, works at a Wendy's restaurant in Brooklyn and told Reuters he planned to participate in the walkout. He said he still earned minimum wage, despite working 30 to 40 hours a week for more than a year.

In seeking a $15 hourly wage and the right to unionize, the movement joined a growing conversation about the financial challenges faced by the working poor.

“During the recession there was the assumption that people should just get a job, any job... I think you see the movement towards unionization as a demand-side response, in a sense,” said Ellen Galinsky, president of the Families and Work Institute. “Employees are saying, ‘No, we want better jobs.’”

The Fast Food Forward action, which is supported by the Service Employees International Union along with civil rights and community groups, comes less than a week after a union-backed effort to draw attention to wages and working conditions at Wal-Mart led to protests at stores across the country on Black Friday.

Organization United for Respect at Walmart called on the nation’s largest retailer to pay a minimum $13 hourly wage. Sales associates there currently make an average of $8.81 an hour, according to third-party research cited by workers’ rights groups.

Earlier this week, the National Domestic Workers Alliance released a report that found nearly a quarter of nannies, housekeepers and caregivers earn less than the state minimum wage, and 70 percent make less than $13 an hour.

“We must create a more equitable economic environment for all low-wage workers,” the report said. “It is difficult to advocate for the rights of domestic workers in an economic and political environment in which the rights of low-wage workers more broadly are so badly frayed.”

Advocates for higher wages say the focus on minimum and low-wage workers is important because there are more people earning less today. The National Employment Law Project found that about 20 percent of jobs lost during the recession were low-paying positions, but nearly 60 percent of the jobs added since then.

“In my mind, if we’re going to reduce inequality in the United States, it’s going to have to address the low wages and lack of benefits in the restaurants and retail sectors,” said Annette Bernhardt, policy co-director at NELP. “There’s a profound larger question being posed, which is how the American labor market is going to look in the 21st century.”

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, around 60 percent of workers who earned minimum wage or less last year worked in “service occupations,” primarily food preparation and serving.

At more than double the current national minimum wage of $7.25, the $15 sought by Fast Food Forward might seem like a pie-in-the-sky goal, but others are pushing to increase New York state's minimum wage to $8.50 next year. According to the National Women’s Law Center, if the minimum wage rose at the pace of inflation, it currently would be $10.60.

The National Restaurant Association opposes this and other legislation to raise minimum wages. The position statement on its website says, “Wage mandates are an ineffective way to reduce poverty and cause restaurant operators to make very difficult decisions to eliminate jobs, cut staff hours or increase prices.”

Richard Adams, a McDonald's franchise adviser, told Reuters $15 an hour would be an "insane increase" that would add as much as $2 to the price of menu items.

"The majority of McDonald's restaurants are owned and operated by independent business men and women who offer pay and benefits competitive within the quick service restaurant industry," the company said in a statement.

David Neumark, a professor of economics at University of California, Irvine, said campaigns to increase wages for minimum and low-wage workers miss the mark.

“A lot of the fast-food workers aren’t in poor families — they’re just kids,” he said. “Targeting low-income families through what they’re trying to accomplish is a really scattershot way to do it. Why should an owner... have to pay more to the kids of middle-class families?”

Galinsky said higher wages are important, but companies also need to explore other ways to improve the experience of low-wage workers, since the jobs they are filling make up an increasing percentage of labor market demand.

“Traditionally, people who work in jobs like fast food or retail… have been seen as expendable, particularly in a time of economic insecurity,” she said. The institute’s research found that access to training and advancement opportunities, flexible schedules and supportive managers help to improve productivity and reduce turnover at companies that employ low-wage workers.

“There are things that employers can do, most of which don’t cost money, that could benefit employees and that could benefit their own organization,” she said. “It’s a mindset change.”

“Workers are sick and tired of making poverty wages,” despite working for multibillion-dollar corporations, he said. “I don’t think this is a short-term fight.”

Richard Adams, a McDonald's franchise adviser, told Reuters $15 an hour would be an "insane increase" that would add as much as $2 to the price of menu items.

Those lines are the most telling.
So because you work for a multi billion dollar corp, you should as an entry level no skills position employee should make as much as educated, skilled worked who make $30k a year. That is fine as long as everyone else is also given a raise in the same percentage.

If the price go up anywhere near that amount, people will stop buying fast food and buy somewhere else costing most of you your jobs.

If people are so sick and tired of not making enough money, get educated and or some real world skills and get a better job. Fast food is not a career. Get real people.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
If people are so sick and tired of not making enough money, get educated and or some real world skills and get a better job. Fast food is not a career. Get real people.
Go die in a fire.

Last edited by Squid Vicious; 11-29-2012 at 06:29 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Just because the job is "unskilled" doesn't mean it's not hard work. Fast food and other similar service jobs are often thankless, grueling, soul-crushing lines of work, but often times are the only option. Getting an education in America isn't easy and is no guarantee for a successful career.

Try learning about the unbreakable cycle of poverty and what the phrase "working poor" means.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
Go die in a fire.

Liberal response to everything -"If you don't agree with me you are racist and should die! If I dont agree with you, you are racist and should die!"

Fail liberal
Old 11-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanIdaho View Post
Liberal response to everything -"If you don't agree with me you are racist and should die! If I dont agree with you, you are racist and should die!"

Fail liberal
You're more insulting than you intend to be when you call me a liberal.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Just because the job is "unskilled" doesn't mean it's not hard work. Fast food and other similar service jobs are often thankless, grueling, soul-crushing lines of work, but often times are the only option. Getting an education in America isn't easy and is no guarantee for a successful career.

Try learning about the unbreakable cycle of poverty and what the phrase "working poor" means.

You will then complain that McDonald's is charging $8 for a Big Mac and blame it on greedy fat cats wanting more money for their pockets. It is impossible to win with people who think like you think.
What happened to people busting their butt and going to school/college and then getting good paying jobs? Why is it every goober who drops out of high school thinks they deserve $50k/yr for flipping burgers?

Most states offer some sort of college tuition assistance, paid for by tax payers and in many cases the states lottery. They just have to maintain a B average and school is pretty much free. I have a few friends who got a 2yr degree and only paid roughly 1K out of pocket over that 2 year period. Saying college is inaccessible is not an excuse.

These people that are demanding these raises are too lazy in most cases to try and make something out of themselves. I know, I see them all the time. I eat fast food way too much and in over 95% of the time, even basic customer service is "too hard" for them to comprehend or they are too lazy to try. These are the people who feel they deserve 3x the pay they make now, people too lazy to do their job with a smile (which is part of their job!). Fuck them.

I will admit that there probably are a few here and there who did get screwed because of circumstances out of their control but they are far and few between and those people will usually bust their ass to either find new work that pays better, attend night school, and try to move up in the job they are in now to management and make good pay, not great, but good enough to support a family.

And yes, education is no guarantee but it sure ups the chances 10 fold, compared to walking in for an interview with a GED.

Last edited by DuncanIdaho; 11-29-2012 at 07:26 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Quote:
You're more insulting than you intend to be when you call me a liberal.
If it walks like a duck........

Either that or you are one of those burger flippers who thinks they deserve CEO pay to do the job of a high schooler.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Quote:
If it walks like a duck........

Either that or you are one of those burger flippers who thinks they deserve CEO pay to do the job of a high schooler.
Actually, I think "those burger flippers" should take over their workplaces and expropriate their boss' wealth. I'm not a fucking liberal.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Actually, I think "those burger flippers" should take over their workplaces and expropriate their boss' wealth. I'm not a fucking liberal.
Ahhh just a thief then.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Quote:

Fail liberal
This.

I'm appalled at the behavior of some on here. Its truly disgusting how some "debate". I think they're watching too much Maddow or Schultz. Just because brazen and offensive language against others gets better ratings on network cable tv shows doesn't mean it should be tolerated here. I thought there was already a general warning given to everyone already?

Last edited by creekin111; 11-29-2012 at 09:36 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
This.

I'm appalled at the behavior of some on here.
Good to know the feeling's mutual.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Basically what they are asking is to make minimum wage 15 dollars, which means we just can't take their request as anything but the lazy entitlement that it obviously is.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:33 PM

how dare those assholes demand enough money to afford rent
Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Quote:
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/fast...-pay-1C7333668

Those lines are the most telling.
So because you work for a multi billion dollar corp, you should as an entry level no skills position employee should make as much as educated, skilled worked who make $30k a year. That is fine as long as everyone else is also given a raise in the same percentage.

If the price go up anywhere near that amount, people will stop buying fast food and buy somewhere else costing most of you your jobs.

Wait a minute, wait a minute. Working in fast food is not a real job? But parents send their teenagers to work at these places so they can get a taste of what its like working in the real world?

I know its not the "ideal" job, but it is not unskilled. Everybody at McDonald's has to undergo some form of training. Both my brother and sister worked/work in the service industry, it is not by any stretch easy and unskilled. If I apply to work at Friday's against my sister, she's getting the job, not me. Why? Because she's SKILLED.

My brother worked at one place for 5 years and made just over $5.00/hr. Despite those years of experience he was told he couldn't have a raise. He also goes to school.

Also if all these people got educated and got some "real world skills", who's gonna be working there? The answer is not always "highschool students". As long as we're gonna be gluttonous we're gonna need people to make our fast food, at least pay them a livable wage. Fuck, people in fast food don't even get tips to make up for crappy pay.

Forget "entitlement class", how about the class who simultaneously demean your work and classify it as beneath a certain level, yet still patronize these establishments with these plebeians serving their orders. These people are working, they're not sitting on their ass cashing a government check, they aren't asking to be able to afford Ferrari's, they just want their job to actually be enough to pay for food and rent and transportation to their job.

Last edited by electriclite; 11-29-2012 at 11:14 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Good to know the feeling's mutual.
Nope.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 PM
$15hr!? Fast Food is an entry level job. The mangers of these places don't even make $15hr. I know many people with college degrees that don't make that much. This is ridiculous. How does it make sense that an inexperienced 16yr old could possibly go out and get the common-teen-job of fast food, and make more than a 26yr old college graduate?

Also, what about other minimum wage jobs? Pretty much every store out there pays their employees minimum wage. Why is fast food so special? All minimum wage jobs suck, that's why they are sooooo easy to get.

Now if the chain reaction starts, and all entry level jobs pay $15hr, then the price of everything will skyrocket. And when the prices skyrocket, $15hr won't be enough to live on. Then we'll go right back to square one, and they'll bitch about how they should get payed $25hr.

Last edited by Silverload; 11-29-2012 at 11:07 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post

And they can freely take those demands to another job if they really wanted to.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Quote:
And they can freely take those demands to another job if they really wanted to.
...where you'll once again tell them to shut up and accept their lot.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 PM
The whole point in any economy (local, national, global, whatever) is to create the most efficient products and services possible. Efficiency means doing the best possible job at the lowest possible costs. Artificially increasing production costs, may certainly benefit a few select groups but it hurts the economy as a whole (and thus the average person) by causing the system to operate less efficiently.

Now that may be irrelevant to some and they may still want a higher minimum wage for some political agenda but it is what it is.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Quote:
...where you'll once again tell them to shut up and accept their lot.
Nope. And forgive me for saying so but you're behavior here is disgusting and repulsive. How you haven't gotten banned here already is beyond me.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Why is there no sympathy for the worker who worked hard for 5 years from a minimum wage to a higher wage? That hard worker got a 3% raise every year for their diligence and dedication. Along comes this busy body politician that says now any pimple faced teenager can come along and now and get as much pay as that worker. Of course its not fair because again that's not what liberals want.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Nope. And forgive me for saying so but you're behavior here is disgusting and repulsive.
And, as I said, it's good to know the feeling's mutual.

Quote:
How you haven't gotten banned here already is beyond me.
Believe me, I'm trying my best. I pretty much stopped giving a fuck about the rules when this place started letting people like you, Erroneous and God of War spew racist, misogynistic, and generally ignorant garbage on a regular basis. If the mods to ban me, they can go right ahead, because I don't particularly like this place anymore.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Quote:
And, as I said, it's good to know the feeling's mutual.

Believe me, I'm trying my best. I pretty much stopped giving a fuck about the rules when this place started letting people like you, Erroneous and God of War spew racist, misogynistic, and generally ignorant garbage on a regular basis. If the mods to ban me, they can go right ahead, because I don't particularly like this place anymore.
RACIST!!!??? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!!??? WHAT A FUCKED UP ACCUSATION THAT YOU CAN NOT POSSIBLY PROVE. IF THERE WAS A COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF A RACIST PERSON IT WOULD NOT BE ME! HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!

Hey at least you admit you stopped giving a fuck about the rules. I gotta give you credit for that. Here's a tip... if you don't like this place anymore then you're more than welcome to leave and take your insolent childish remarks with you.

Goodbye.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Quote:
RACIST!!!??? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!!??? WHAT A FUCKED UP ACCUSATION THAT YOU CAN NOT POSSIBLY PROVE. IF THERE WAS A COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF A RACIST PERSON IT WOULD NOT BE ME! HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!
That's now I react whenever someone calls me a liberal.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Nine poor men use coercion to take money from a rich man in an alley. That's called "a mugging."

Ninety percent of the electorate uses the coercive power of government to take money from the richest 10%. That's called "progressive legislation in a representative democracy."

The real, essential difference? Semantics. People don't like getting mugged by a guy with a voter registration card any more than they like getting mugged by a guy with a switch blade.

Also what are volunteers, unpaid non-college credit interns and unpaid actors supposed to live on huh? What makes people who serve food in a short amount of time so morally superior over those who don't? There has to be logic to come to conclusions and not just because things "sound good". Government doesn't have to abide by this simple fact because it has a monopoly of force behind it. And people wonder why businesses and corporations try to buy politicians. Most of them would be foolish not to in this busy body political destructive environment.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Oh 'someone' but you directly called me a fucking racist! Also you said liberal things and promote liberal ideals but its NOT ok to be called liberal but I never said anything remotely racist but its ok to call me racist. Un-fucking-believable! Like I said leave if you hate this place so much and don't give a fuck about the rules. You will be missed. K thx bye.

Last edited by creekin111; 11-30-2012 at 12:28 AM..
Old 11-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Quote:

And how dare we expect them to have an education and attempt to better themselves without just handing them a $15/hr job that requires them to turn over meat.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:44 PM
I don't know, I think Squid going after one person's opinions isn't as offensive as demeaning an entire group of citizens by saying they can't get a living wage.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 PM
Quote:
I like how calling you a liberal gets you riled up but calling you a thief doesn't get a peep out of you. Good to know what kind of person (and I used the term loosely) you are.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Quote:
I don't know, I think Squid going after one person's opinions isn't as offensive as demeaning an entire group of citizens by saying they can't get a living wage.
Your chart is ludicrous. Why should a person working one of the easiest to get, easiest to do jobs in the entire country be able to afford a two bedroom apartment all by themselves?

That's exactly the kind of entitlement that people get angry about.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 PM
I have a feeling that there are people on here who work in the service industry, and they sure wouldn't feel good coming in here and seeing other people tell them how their job is more or less worthless, that it requires nothing more than to 'turn over meat,' that their hours of work doesn't amount to anything compared to a hypothetical hard worker, that they're 'muggers' or 'those burger flippers.'

I think people who are working (or have worked) in the service industry would find that sort of rhetoric personally insulting and offensive. Then again that's just me.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Quote:
So "going after one person's opinions" means calling them a racist? Demeaning an entire group... I love it how business owners aren't groups of citizens. Like how forcing groups of business owners to surrender more of their money for some undefined political agenda isn't demeaning? Calling a group of citizens 'greedy' or 'selfish' isn't demeaning? But I agree you don't know.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Quote:
I have a feeling that there are people on here who work in the service industry, and they sure wouldn't feel good coming in here and seeing other people tell them how their job is more or less worthless, that it requires nothing more than to 'turn over meat,' that their hours of work doesn't amount to anything compared to a hypothetical hard worker, that they're 'muggers' or 'those burger flippers.'

I think people who are working (or have worked) in the service industry would find that sort of rhetoric personally insulting and offensive. Then again that's just me.
There is a huge stretch between "worthless" and "doesn't deserve to make as much money as most new college graduates."
Old 11-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Quote:

I think people who own businesses in the service industry would find rhetoric against them personally insulting and offensive.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Your chart is ludicrous. Why should a person working one of the easiest to get, easiest to do jobs in the entire country be able to afford a two bedroom apartment all by themselves?

That's exactly the kind of entitlement that people get angry about.
They can't also see any long term problems with their argument. As if the cost of living will never go up.

Also why not make the minimum wage $20 n hour? $50 an hour? $1,000 an hour? Imagine all the luxury everyone will be able to afford then! I see a lot of random numbers thrown out. Where do people come up with these numbers? Out of a hat? Because it sounds nice?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 AM
I'm all for their wages going up, as long as mine, as their manager, does as well. I spent 7 years working at that entry-level, put myself through school and now I'm in retail management working on a Master's. I was there, I understand their gripe, it does suck. But the work is unskilled and by that I mean you can absolutely train the general population to do the job in a relatively cheap way to be efficient.

But just because they're the "grunts" doesn't mean they're doing any more work than anyone else.

The beauty of America is that you absolutely get out what you put in. Yes, people can hit hard times and have to struggle. I've seen it. Businesses going under, marriages falling apart. I've seen, in my family, the worst of it. But they put in their time and they built themselves back up. It takes short-term sacrifice. Long-term, sometimes. But it is possible. It is completely on the individual.

BTW, that working poor argument is shit. I live in Mon. County, West Virginia. One of the poorest, most economically depressed states. I manage retail level mall location storefronts, and our mall workers are only part-time. All I do, on a daily basis, is interview the "working poor." And, unfortunately, 90% have put themselves in that position. I was shocked at how little of them had HS degrees. There are very few legitimate reasons that a person can't at least finish HS. They fall into the "working poor" mentality, you can see it in their faces, and that sucks, but there is no sympathy from me.

I would be extremely confident saying that the MAJORITY working poor, is also a very similar demographic in rural, economically depressed areas.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 AM
And I'm not just saying not finishing HS is what put them in the position they're in. But I have to do pretty vigorous interviews because even it's $8.00/hr, there are so few that would legitimately be good with the social interaction. I can tell, immediately, who is or has struggled with drugs or alcohol, because I've been there, too. You can tell someone's work ethic from their first minute of answering the question, "So, what did you enjoy most about your last position?"
Old 11-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Quote:

For the record, I have worked at Arby's, Jungle Jims (A grocery store in Ohio) as a bag boy, lawn care, and a few other shitty retail jobs before completing my education and moving on. Not once did I feel I deserved more than minimum wage in those positions. Even as a 15yr old kid ringing up roast beef sandwiches, I knew then that it was shit work for shit pay that anyone can do. Why do you think I was motivated to go to college? Because I didn't want to do that shit for a living. It was easy work, not back breaking labor. Besides having sore feet from standing at a register and dealing with the occasional rude customer, what the fuck did I have to complain about? And I did that shit with a smile and had excellent customer service, not like the lazy fucks I see behind registers today, too busy texting to take a fucking order. Fuck them. Even the lawn and garden work which was much more hands on didn't phase me doing it. I didn't expect to get paid $10/hr to cut grass because the job isn't worth $10/hr. It is common sense. I guess that is something some of the lifers stuck at the register lack though and that is why they have the gall to ask for $15/hr to do that. Ingrates.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Quote:
And how dare we expect them to have an education and attempt to better themselves without just handing them a $15/hr job that requires them to turn over meat.
Plenty of people are "educated" and still work in fast food/entry level jobs, because that's just how the world is right now. In actuality, a Bachelor's degree means about as much now as a High school degree did before.

The minimum wage needs to increase. It historically and currently is not rising at the same rate as inflation. So, over time, people actually earn less and less and less. If it did, it would be 10.55. Currently, it is 7.25 .

The federal minimum wage for "tipped employees" is a whopping $2.13. In most other developed countries, especially in Europe, gratuity is included in every bill. In the states, if your customers dont tip well that week, you don't have enough to survive. And in a poor economy, people dont have money to tip.

The minimum wage should be looked at every year to make sure it's keeping up with inflation. $15/hour is a lot, but I dont see how people can get TOO mad about 10.55/hour.

Fast food work is very, very hard. There have been many days where I've gone home and cried. It's thankless and physically demanding. I respect anyone that earns a living doing it, usually working 60+ hours/week in the process.

And always, always remember - we touch your food. Be nice.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post

And always, always remember - we touch your food. Be nice.
And this is why I say "please" and "thank you" to any server I interact with. Fast food or dine in. And because I'd like someone to do the same for my brother and sister.