Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #121  
Old 12-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
$15hr!? Fast Food is an entry level job. The mangers of these places don't even make $15hr. I know many people with college degrees that don't make that much. This is ridiculous. How does it make sense that an inexperienced 16yr old could possibly go out and get the common-teen-job of fast food, and make more than a 26yr old college graduate?

Also, what about other minimum wage jobs? Pretty much every store out there pays their employees minimum wage. Why is fast food so special? All minimum wage jobs suck, that's why they are sooooo easy to get.

Now if the chain reaction starts, and all entry level jobs pay $15hr, then the price of everything will skyrocket. And when the prices skyrocket, $15hr won't be enough to live on. Then we'll go right back to square one, and they'll bitch about how they should get payed $25hr.
well said. at least someone thinks it through
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Why is there no sympathy for the worker who worked hard for 5 years from a minimum wage to a higher wage? That hard worker got a 3% raise every year for their diligence and dedication. Along comes this busy body politician that says now any pimple faced teenager can come along and now and get as much pay as that worker. Of course its not fair because again that's not what liberals want.
My first job was at McDonald's and I made $3.35 an hour.

Minimum wage should be increased in relation to the increases in the cost of living.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 12-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
Erroneous and God of War spew racist, misogynistic, and generally ignorant garbage on a regular basis. If the mods to ban me, they can go right ahead, because I don't particularly like this place anymore.
When I did say anything racist? lol
I guess he feels everyone should think like does or we are all the names he calls us. You dont see me get all up in arms and start calling people names when I do not agree with people's opinions. Must be a liberal thing
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Your chart is ludicrous. Why should a person working one of the easiest to get, easiest to do jobs in the entire country be able to afford a two bedroom apartment all by themselves?

That's exactly the kind of entitlement that people get angry about.
Well said.

I can't speak for anywhere else but NJ, but you can get a 2 two bedroom apt in the worst cities in NJ and most people who are poor do not live alone or in a two bedroom apartment. Also if you live in NJ and make minimum wage you qualify for section 8 (which is the government finding you a super low rent control apartment and they are all over), food stamps and yes, well fare. The government helps out quite bit.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 12-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
When I did say anything racist? lol
I guess he feels everyone should think like does or we are all the names he calls us. You dont see me get all up in arms and start calling people names when I do not agree with people's opinions. Must be a liberal thing
Well l can't see any garbage here or racist remarks l am finding thread f really interesting. Also erronuos and god of war are two really nice blokes who are great to see on this forum
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
I think it depends what resources you're talking about.

If you're talking about mineral resources like coal, oil, gold, diamonds, etc., yes there is only a finite naturally occuring amount but I would submit that there is a lot more out there than many people believe - it's just a matter of developing the technology to locate and excavate. That technological development comes with time (as long as government doesn't get in the way).

If you're talking about land, I'd say yes, with the minor exceptions of landfills being used to add space over water and the random new hotel in places like Dubai, useable land is fairly finite.

If you're talking about water, yes there seems to be a finite amount currently on the planet but, of course, more can be made by combining oxygen and hydrogen - a process which may be expensive now but may not be in the future with technology.

If you're talking about breathable air, there seems to be only a finite amount but with the technologies that pollute (like smokestacks and cars) also comes the technology that can clean and even newer technology which isn't that dirty in the first place. Technologies build on each other and it ironically becomes more expensive (and thus takes longer) to develop those new, clean technologies the more government steps in and limits current technology in an attempt to clean. If left unimpeded, mankind is pretty good about finding ways to clean up its own messes.
So why are you asking someone to demonstrate how an economy is finite when you are saying all of the things that make up an economy are finite? You cannot say "wealth" is infinite because of the concept of inflation. We can't produce tender, standards or tradable resources out of thin air.

To add to the confusion, you are saying "yes", sounding like you are telling me that the economy is infinite, then you are explaining that they are finite. It's like I'm saying "The sky is blue, are you saying it is red?" and you are going, "Yes, it is red. Clearly anyone can tell that it is blue." I don't think you are doing that on purpose, just saying it might be construed by more combative-minded people as a distraction technique to avoid addressing points. Adding in the argument you made toward my statement about seeing coworkers starting salary increase, while mine doesn't, and then bailing when I pointed out you didn't understand the term I was using (even after I linked to a clear explanation of the point) -- that might further confound and make it hard for you to get people on your side.

I really want to see where you are coming from, so don't think I'm shitting on you here or anything. I'm intrigued to know how the things you see as wrong are wrong because I'm of the mind that most things can be fixed collectively, if not individually. That's maybe part of the reason I don't see government and individual citizens being at odds.

You and others have said these McDonald's workers can go find other work. We are free to leave the country. "America, love it or leave it", regardless of the intent used in saying it, is, at it's core, a celebration of individual rights and choices. Anyone who has real issues with the government, and their fellow citizens supporting it, is free to protest (like the McDonald's workers), move, or maybe even better, go start their own country (the latter two choices being akin to your suggestions to the McDonald's workers). I, on the other hand, tend to think protesting, or at least speaking out, (what you are doing here) is really the best just because I feel citizens are resources like anything else.

Just to touch on something else because you mentioned being offended earlier, but have you picked up on any of my cues in regards to comparing being taxed to being the victim of a violent crime? I'm just asking because it's hard for me to imagine that someone who was robbed by 4 men in an alley, by gun point, would be cool with being compared to someone who's voluntarily paying more taxes. I say voluntarily because of the freedom to leave the country (or even live off the grid) -- It just seems insulting. I'd respond by saying those paying higher taxes were asking for it, only if that didn't insult people who were victims of violent crimes.

Sort of an aside there, but I just kept meaning to touch on that.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 12-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
1) The pie is not static. That is a TREMENDOUS flaw in leftist political thought. In a free market, there is no static pie. If one man has more, it does not automatically mean another man has less. New inventions, innovation, new ways of doing business GROW the pie by making it easier for everybody to get more with less. The only entity that acts in a "static pie" model is government. Government doesn't produce/invent anything (at least not anything in anyway close to an efficient, marketable manner). Instead, it takes from Peter to pay Paul. Paul has more, Peter has less.

creekin, I also think you'd also better be getting your points across if you were responding within the context of the discussion and not just copying and pasting things.

It was like with my mentioning COLA, you went off about things regarding cost of living when that wasn't what I was referring to. Then when I created a context to show you what COLA was and remind you of the original context of my post, it felt like you just continued running with a canned response.

No bother, though. I could probably make my points better without a history of partying instead of increasing my knowledge-fu, but I'm trying to catch up. We're all in this together. Respect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 6.52.12 PM.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	11037  

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 12-01-2012 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
So why are you asking someone to demonstrate how an economy is finite when you are saying all of the things that make up an economy are finite? You cannot say "wealth" is infinite because of the concept of inflation. We can't produce tender, standards or tradable resources out of thin air.
So the few things I just mentioned equal all of the economy? In my corresponding post I again explain why wealth grows.

Quote:
To add to the confusion, you are saying "yes", sounding like you are telling me that the economy is infinite, then you are explaining that they are finite. It's like I'm saying "The sky is blue, are you saying it is red?" and you are going, "Yes, it is red. Clearly anyone can tell that it is blue." I don't think you are doing that on purpose, just saying it might be construed by more combative-minded people as a distraction technique to avoid addressing points. Adding in the argument you made toward my statement about seeing coworkers starting salary increase, while mine doesn't, and then bailing when I pointed out you didn't understand the term I was using (even after I linked to a clear explanation of the point) -- that might further confound and make it hard for you to get people on your side.
I'm explaining some things are finite but like I said in the corresponding post that wealth is not finite. Its like saying yes I think certain types of businesses can't make money but that doesn't mean I'm saying all types of businesses can't make money.

Quote:
I really want to see where you are coming from, so don't think I'm shitting on you here or anything. I'm intrigued to know how the things you see as wrong are wrong because I'm of the mind that most things can be fixed collectively, if not individually. That's maybe part of the reason I don't see government and individual citizens being at odds.
Yes things can get fixed collectively, without government force.

Quote:
You and others have said these McDonald's workers can go find other work. We are free to leave the country. "America, love it or leave it", regardless of the intent used in saying it, is, at it's core, a celebration of individual rights and choices. Anyone who has real issues with the government, and their fellow citizens supporting it, is free to protest (like the McDonald's workers), move, or maybe even better, go start their own country (the latter two choices being akin to your suggestions to the McDonald's workers). I, on the other hand, tend to think protesting, or at least speaking out, (what you are doing here) is really the best just because I feel citizens are resources like anything else.
Yes speaking out is fine. Nobody is using force to silence their voice. Where I draw then line is where government steps in.

Quote:
Just to touch on something else because you mentioned being offended earlier, but have you picked up on any of my cues in regards to comparing being taxed to being the victim of a violent crime? I'm just asking because it's hard for me to imagine that someone who was robbed by 4 men in an alley, by gun point, would be cool with being compared to someone who's voluntarily paying more taxes. I say voluntarily because of the freedom to leave the country (or even live off the grid) -- It just seems insulting. I'd respond by saying those paying higher taxes were asking for it, only if that didn't insult people who were victims of violent crimes.

Sort of an aside there, but I just kept meaning to touch on that.
Again government operates by force or threat of violence. When push comes to shove it uses violence to force others to do things. The big difference is someone can at least protect themselves from an armed robber, no single individual can protect themselves from force of government and that's what makes it worse actually. The only ones using force are the ones advocating government to rob Peter to pay Paul.

And ah yes you found what I posted on another board and a really shitty board I might add. I got lazy because I wanted reply before heading out for dinner.

Last edited by creekin111; 12-02-2012 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 12-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post

Does minimum wage suck and all the other problems listed in this thread exist? Absolutely. But it is what it is and how it's going to be for the foreseeable future. So knowing this, which clearly responses in this thread make it seem like people do, there's really only one thing to do: Adapt or die. You figure out what you need to do work the system in your favor to get something good for yourself and your family out of it, or you stay in the working poor cycle forever (and no, this is not directed specifically to the poster above me).

*Courtesy of Frog Dog. http://frog-dog.com/articles/detail/...-demographics/
Yes but if the US is headed more and more towards a service based economy (which is what analysts are seeing a trend towards) and the majority of jobs that have gained in numbers since the crash have been low paying jobs while medium to high-paying jobs have barely risen an inch, there needs to be a serious discussion and recalibration in the perception of these "low-skill" low-paying jobs as just some entry-level layover till people get a higher education and skill themselves out of that market or as a refuge for the working poor. Because at this time, that perception is no longer wholly accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 12-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Huh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.png
Views:	27
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	11039  
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Huh?
I believe it was because of post #2 in this thread as well as a few other insulting posts he's made which broke the rules. He also said he stopped giving a fuck about the rules and didn't like this place anymore which is pretty much insulting to the moderators and people who run this cool board.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I have a feeling that there are people on here who work in the service industry, and they sure wouldn't feel good coming in here and seeing other people tell them how their job is more or less worthless, that it requires nothing more than to 'turn over meat,' that their hours of work doesn't amount to anything compared to a hypothetical hard worker, that they're 'muggers' or 'those burger flippers.'

I think people who are working (or have worked) in the service industry would find that sort of rhetoric personally insulting and offensive. Then again that's just me.
FYI most fast food places have machines now that eliminate the need for the flipping of the burger.

I think they might be insulted too. But seriously, no one said they are useless or worthless humans. They do a job that pretty much anyone can do and it is appreciated by many, me included, but they do not deserve to be paid the same as an entry level accountant for example. If they are not understanding of these facts and insulted by them........
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
I'm all for their wages going up, as long as mine, as their manager, does as well. I spent 7 years working at that entry-level, put myself through school and now I'm in retail management working on a Master's. I was there, I understand their gripe, it does suck. But the work is unskilled and by that I mean you can absolutely train the general population to do the job in a relatively cheap way to be efficient.

But just because they're the "grunts" doesn't mean they're doing any more work than anyone else.

The beauty of America is that you absolutely get out what you put in. Yes, people can hit hard times and have to struggle. I've seen it. Businesses going under, marriages falling apart. I've seen, in my family, the worst of it. But they put in their time and they built themselves back up. It takes short-term sacrifice. Long-term, sometimes. But it is possible. It is completely on the individual.

BTW, that working poor argument is shit. I live in Mon. County, West Virginia. One of the poorest, most economically depressed states. I manage retail level mall location storefronts, and our mall workers are only part-time. All I do, on a daily basis, is interview the "working poor." And, unfortunately, 90% have put themselves in that position. I was shocked at how little of them had HS degrees. There are very few legitimate reasons that a person can't at least finish HS. They fall into the "working poor" mentality, you can see it in their faces, and that sucks, but there is no sympathy from me.

I would be extremely confident saying that the MAJORITY working poor, is also a very similar demographic in rural, economically depressed areas.
I am not being a smartass or making a joke or anything negative here

You are my hero. You are the American dream. Keep it up!

Which county? Monroe county? If so I used to have to sell Magic Mart in Bluefield. I know that area well
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanIdaho View Post
For the record, I have worked at Arby's, Jungle Jims (A grocery store in Ohio) as a bag boy, lawn care, and a few other shitty retail jobs before completing my education and moving on. Not once did I feel I deserved more than minimum wage in those positions. Even as a 15yr old kid ringing up roast beef sandwiches, I knew then that it was shit work for shit pay that anyone can do. Why do you think I was motivated to go to college? Because I didn't want to do that shit for a living. It was easy work, not back breaking labor. Besides having sore feet from standing at a register and dealing with the occasional rude customer, what the fuck did I have to complain about? And I did that shit with a smile and had excellent customer service, not like the lazy fucks I see behind registers today, too busy texting to take a fucking order. Fuck them. Even the lawn and garden work which was much more hands on didn't phase me doing it. I didn't expect to get paid $10/hr to cut grass because the job isn't worth $10/hr. It is common sense. I guess that is something some of the lifers stuck at the register lack though and that is why they have the gall to ask for $15/hr to do that. Ingrates.
I am proud of you too. I wish millions more would think like you do.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 PM
I just want point thatt domes it is good for the government to. Step in if a company is folding and someetimes giving hand outs helps and it also stops people from losing there jobs

Last edited by Bondgirl; 12-01-2012 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
I believe it was because of post #2 in this thread as well as a few other insulting posts he's made which broke the rules. He also said he stopped giving a fuck about the rules and didn't like this place anymore which is pretty much insulting to the moderators and people who run this cool board.
Yeah, I read all of his posts.
But that's not what I am confused about, dude. His status is now a former schmoe. Yet, I saw him online just before, And he has a green light on his profile name.
That's why I said huh? Someone didn't complete the banning process it seems.

Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
I have a college degree. My co-worker has a Masters in English Lit, and was the star's (wont say which) body double in the last five Harry Potter films. Educated, experienced people with long-term career goals work there, those getting their Bachelor's, one her Masters; we have plenty of grown ups too, people who owned their own businesses and now just need the medical insurance, or a parent seeking extra income in a hard economy.

You say its just about being educated. Please. At my PoE, every person that works there has at least some college under their belt. Several have degrees.

Look at the state of the Law industry right now. Law Schools are trying desperately to convince their students that a law degree is worth it. A law degree. Not too long ago, being a legit lawyer meant the high life. Like, the high high life. The same goes for a number of formerly valuable positions, architects, doctors. School is more expensive than ever, SO expensive in fact, that its often no longer worth it, even over the course of an entire life's career.

The world aint what it used to be.

"Being educated" isnt either. Otherwise, why would a group of hard working, educated, experienced people like those where I work, be making the same as high school dropouts? Really, if you wanna think about it, dropping out and not having the burden of a massive, unpayable, life-long debt makes a lot more sense.
Can we agree on a couple things
1 We have not seen this type of economy since the great depression. Since this is the case, is it fair to say in a normal economy times are not nearly as tough for people with college educations?
2. There are a lot of degrees (like English Lit) that limit the types of careers one might be able to get once they graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Yeah, I read all of his posts.
But that's not what I am confused about, dude. His status is now a former schmoe. Yet, I saw him online just before, And he has a green light on his profile name.
That's why I said huh? Someone didn't complete the banning process it seems.

Oh the entire name and tag were circled didn't know you just meant the green circle. hmmm... that's interesting. Maybe if he's not banned on moviefancentral.com and its a green if he's online there? I dunno if it works that way.

Last edited by creekin111; 12-01-2012 at 08:34 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
FYI most fast food places have machines now that eliminate the need for the flipping of the burger.

I think they might be insulted too. But seriously, no one said they are useless or worthless humans. They do a job that pretty much anyone can do and it is appreciated by many, me included, but they do not deserve to be paid the same as an entry level accountant for example. If they are not understanding of these facts and insulted by them........
Geez we are abut behind in mcdonlds they still flip the old burger
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
Just to touch on something else because you mentioned being offended earlier, but have you picked up on any of my cues in regards to comparing being taxed to being the victim of a violent crime? I'm just asking because it's hard for me to imagine that someone who was robbed by 4 men in an alley, by gun point, would be cool with being compared to someone who's voluntarily paying more taxes. I say voluntarily because of the freedom to leave the country (or even live off the grid) -- It just seems insulting. I'd respond by saying those paying higher taxes were asking for it, only if that didn't insult people who were victims of violent crimes.
Just to throw in my 2 cents here on this point-

It is getting increasingly harder to leave the USSA. Getting a passport is only becoming more difficult. This is going to be virtually impossible down the line.
As it stands I need at least $300 to renew mine.

As to the original point, a government law enforcement officer is far worse than a thug in an alley. At least you might be able to use some form of charisma(bluffing, counter-intimidation, persuasion even) to possibly walk away from a criminal in an alley. Try walking away from a cop and you'll get this. And at least a criminal won't pretend that he is doing a good service. Hell, you can't even say the word NO to cops anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
I just want point thatt domes it is good for the government to. Step in if a company is folding and someetimes giving hand outs helps and it also stops people from losing there jobs
Like what times would you and what times wouldn't you give hand outs?
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
I've always felt the food at McDonald's was detrimentally underpriced and would have no problem paying more for a Big Mac (the $8 figure is hyperbole…)

If we are going to talk about government interference, we shouldn't forget that the reason McDonald's can served prepared food for cheaper than you can buy the ingredients at the grocery, is because of subsidies. It has very little to do with how much they pay their employees. We are pretty fucked if we have less of an issue with fellow citizens not being paid enough to live than we'd have with saving a dollar or two on buying junk food.
You would be in the minority on the pricing.

Since the minimum wage has risen over the years, less and less regular employees work and managers do more than ever. Also, to cut down on costs, some places are outsourcing the order taking in the drive thrus.

I think what people have more of a problem with is that their own pay is not going up anywhere near what inflation is. It is a fact that people are not making more than they were just a few years ago and are paying more in taxes and expenses. People do not want to see the entry level workers get a raise that takes them even closer to what they make.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Well when you see the green light near your profile that person shouldn't be banned I midht keep a look out lfeel he is still with us
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heart Collector View Post
This is a bad argument. It is actually you who needs to 'get real'.
Hmmm former now huh? I am betting you are still reading and here. What I said was the truth. I am sorry you do not agree. Good luck.

Quote:
There are two ways to improve our lot in life. One is through the individual level. We get a better education, we get more technical or in-demand skills, and so forth. This is good; it's one of the ways that countries have had massive change, like industrialization and so forth.

But this isn't enough. It isn't enough because this isn't the way economies work. Supply does not create its own demand; 'better' jobs for more educated people aren't going to be created simply because there's now more people with those skills. This is about fast-food workers; there were similar news stories about Walmart employees. Are Walmart jobs and fast-food jobs going to disappear because people became more educated? Are engineering jobs going to appear because everyone who worked at Walmart was able to get an engineering degree? No, they won't.
Education does not always mean school (college and trade school, ect). Education could mean experience. One could move up to management. One could use the skills they learn there to get a different job. You are correct, there will always be people to take entry level positions, but people do move up over time. Generation after generation, people move up. That is why Americans largely do not take farming type jobs anymore and mostly latins take them. The point is entry level jobs are litterally the bottom and a ways to a means. Increasing their pay is not going to help them in the long run, because that is not how the economy is set up. Entry level workers get paid more and the economy will have inflation, putting them right back where they were. That is economics. It is just not "The man" keeping them down.

Quote:
So we have the second way of improving our lot in life: in a collective level. We band together to demand better conditions, better benefits, a better life. This is the way that most improvement in the workforce has happened, either through unions or through massive, planned government programs. Improvement in the workforce has not happened because people were touched by the magic fairy and all individually decided to get a better education.

Americans have had it drilled through their heads for 40-50 years that no, they shouldn't collectively band together and fight their common enemy, which is the asshole that doesn't want to pay them. Instead, they should fight each other for increasingly smaller scraps. This is a tenacious propaganda campaign that has been quite successful, as we can see from the dismantling of unions and the public perception towards workers with benefits (pretty much every article about workers with benefits implies or outright states that these benefits they negotiated for are completely undeserved and their pensions should all vanish), and this crap you just peddled about how people need to just 'get better jobs', as if an economy works that way.
Unions had their place and did a great job years ago. Now many of them have destroyed what they fought to better.

Quote:
We see this now, when people graduate with college degrees, even masters and PhDs, only to find that they're no longer as valued as they were before, and now they can't get jobs, and even when they do, they pay shit. But of course, people can accept this, because they'd be getting paid even worse if they had a non-degree job. A predictable race to the bottom, because guess what, the world isn't just some bullshit econ 101 'you gotta market yourself, be the best good out there in the labor market' load of clap trap.
The problem is when kids graduate with a degree, they demand to start making huge salaries. They do not want to start low and work their way up. Many of them come out of school with huge debt and that is a major reason why, but if you come out of school with an accounting degree, you are going to be hard fought to find a job paying more than $30 k to start. I love how you say that the world is not econ 101. You proved my point for a diff thread that the world does not run by the book.

Quote:
You, and everyone else suggesting similar arguments, really know absolutely nothing about how wages, employment, or economies work. It's just embarrassing to read this kindergarden nonsense. Don't you people have any sense of shame. Good God.
It is amazing because we have different views, we (I) know absolutely nothing about anything. I guess all the real world experience I have means nothing. I am sad to see how you think you know it all and can't keep an open mind about anything. As for the kindergarten nonsense, if you think that just raising the min wage is going to make everything better, you have to think more what happens afterward.

Keep an open mind about other people's opinions and stop thinking you know it all.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heart Collector View Post
Because both wages are bad, you fool.

$15 x 40 (hours) x 52 (weeks) = $31,200. A little over 30,000 dollars. That is bad.

The 16 yr old shouldn't be making more than the college graduate, because the college graduate shouldn't be making $15 an hour.

This is how this works: instead of the college graduate realizing they're both getting fucked, and banding together to support better rights for all workers, he wants the person making less to suffer more, so that he can at least be superior to that lowlife. That is class warfare. Divide the enemy and conquer, as they say.
Come on really? It is the job, not the pay. Age does not matter. A 16 year old Micky D's worker should get the same pay as a 40 year old one if they do the same job. Education does not matter if they are doing the same job.

No one is getting fucked. An entry level job is an entry level job. Forming a fast food union is not going to help anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Wow, there are still people who actually exist still spewing that same "workers of the world unite" rhetoric? I thought he couldn't be serious.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heart Collector View Post
Why should other people make the same as I do? If they do, I won't be able to feel superior to them[/b]. The answer is because your sense of superiority is less important than other people's ability to live dignified lives.
I honestly cant believe I just read this.
What you said has nothing to do with how people think. People want to make money in accordance to the education and skill level of the job they are doing. Who would want to have a very stressful position with tons of responsibility and make the same or close to the same pay as a fast food worker? People do not work for the status. They work to make money and support their families or lives. People want better paying jobs and careers and take steps to make it happen. I think you watched Good Will Hunting one too many times.

I feel sorry for anyone who thinks like you are describing. It is sad if anyone thinks they are better than anyone else based on money or education or things they own.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
Nice one.

I always bring cost of living into it and automatically show that $9-$15 isn't feasible for anyone trying to live even a simple life.

Not here anyway.
Cost of living is not a thought or a concern of any employer. Employers pay the lowest amount they can pay and have people show up to work. If they can't find people at that pay level, they pay more until they do. They are not running charities.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Cost of living is not a thought or a concern of any employer. Employers pay the lowest amount they can pay and have people show up to work. If they can't find people at that pay level, they pay more until they do. They are not running charities.
Nor should they. I'm not even in favor of a minimum wage at all. <I put the over/under on 5 posts away that someone is going to mention Upton Sinclair's "the Jungle".>

As I said I merely have fun with this with prospective employer's when I'm asked the question of what I'm worth in hourly wages. It's a loaded bullshit question. What they should ask instead is what can I bring to the company that entails something of value that they would invest an extra x amount of $ in.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
For the record, I no longer know what point anyone's arguing. But I will say that I agree Higher Education should be 100% concentrated on your area of study. Learning the "basics" for two years results in a huge financial expense, and these "basics" should be covered and learned in High School.

If you fix the public education system to account for this, you could save students tens of thousands of dollars by not forcing them to take 40-60 credit hours re-learning the things that SHOULD have been covered in high school. And do so without ever altering the price of admission, or any other variable.
I totally agree with you. This is why trade schools are doing so well these days. I understand why colleges want you to take all these different types of classes. Perhaps they should do what nursing does (LPN and RN) LPN is a 2 year degree and RN is the 4 year one. You can go county college and get an Associates degree, but you are still not taking all classes related to your major. SO I like the idea of a 2 year degree in classes only in your major and a 4 year degree for all classes.
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
Top 5 Ways To Tell You're Winning An Argument With A Statist:

1. Godwin's Law - They bring up/compare you or your ideas to, Adolf Hitler

Which goes part-and-parcel with

2. They call you a racist.

I'd say at this point it's become cute since it occurs so much; sorta like when a 6 year old does his ABC's.

3. They insult you

At this point, you just need to tell the Statist that he/she is clearly over their head and don't indulge them by playing their namecalling game. Smile and leave.

4. They threaten with the use of violence

Now here we have the advocate of force attempting to show the morality of force through force. By this time I hope you've had the common courtesy of laughing and walking away simultaneously.

5. They use violence

At this point all you can do is defend yourself. By all means eviscerate the son of a bitch. Just remember that it is almost always folly to point out to the Clover-Statist afterward that violence doesn't work by ousting the violent via violent means.
that is awesome
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Well l can't see any garbage here or racist remarks l am finding thread f really interesting. Also erronuos and god of war are two really nice blokes who are great to see on this forum
awww thanks sweety. anytime you are in america you can stay at my house.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
that is awesome
Thanks. Was all done on the spot; no copying and pasting. I'd say it's fairly common sense at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
I believe it was because of post #2 in this thread as well as a few other insulting posts he's made which broke the rules. He also said he stopped giving a fuck about the rules and didn't like this place anymore which is pretty much insulting to the moderators and people who run this cool board.
I think he meant that it said former and was green ball, meaning he is online.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I think he meant that it said former and was green ball, meaning he is online.
Yeah I followed up. I think its because he can still log onto moviefancentral.com.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Geez we are abut behind in mcdonlds they still flip the old burger
Yes, very old style. They use and have been for 20 years a clam shell model at mcdonals. Cooks on both sides at the same time. Some patty was 45 secs and larger one was 90 secs. I do not know what the 1/3 lb ones cook at.
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
As I said I merely have fun with this with prospective employer's when I'm asked the question of what I'm worth in hourly wages. It's a loaded bullshit question. What they should ask instead is what can I bring to the company that entails something of value that they would invest an extra x amount of $ in.
When they ask that question it is supposed to be one of those "window into a person's mind" type. They dont ask that kind of a question in better jobs (positions).
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
Thanks. Was all done on the spot; no copying and pasting. I'd say it's fairly common sense at this point.
Yeah, Creekin and I have said points 2 and 3 happen all the time here.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
When they ask that question it is supposed to be one of those "window into a person's mind" type. They dont ask that kind of a question in better jobs (positions).
Exactly. Which is why I have as much fun with it as I can.

Or when they respond with #1 of the 3 Big Lies:

1. Don't call us, we'll call you.
2. The check is in the mail.
3. I promise I won't cum in your mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 12-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Yeah, Creekin and I have said points 2 and 3 happen all the time here.
Even in this very thread. But c'mon is it really that surprising on a cinema-centered(Hollywood or non) forum?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump