Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Joe Johnston is my guess.
I hope not!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Francis Lawrence would be a good choice.

But isnt it confirmed that Vaughn is doing it?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Francis Lawrence would be a good choice.

But isnt it confirmed that Vaughn is doing it?
What I'm reading is that Flemyng "accidentally confirmed" it.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glYfiVhDwGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLZTACMuMBU

Hopefully, with a new age, we'll see more of this type of awesome jedi shit.
Ugh, that's pretty much everything I'm afraid a new Star Wars movie would be. Overly stylistic, and trying painfully hard to be cool & edgy.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
I want a rated R Star Wars kinda like Kill Bill style. We've had PG, PG-13 and even NC-17/rated X versions of Star Wars. Lets get a rated R one. I want to see multiple non-droid limbs and heads cut off and what hot jedi/sith sex would look like with good effects.
Please tell me you're kidding.

I know someone else mentioned "going darker." Can somebody tell me why we have to "go darker" with EVERY story nowadays? Why is there an obsession with "Christopher Nolanizing" everything all of a sudden? Star Trek Into Darkness Why does something like Star Trek need to be dark? And better yet why does Star Wars need to be dark?

What made Star Wars great was that it was an adventure for all ages, I understand that it was suppose to be tragic when Anakin turned to the dark side. But ever sense Nolan's batman, Hollywood has this obsession that everything has to be dark. Bond, Star Trek, it seems like everything is dark now. Is Hollywood being run by emos and goths?

I am sorry, but I Whedon proved with The Avengers that you can create a swashbuckling adventure that ISN'T dark, it can make money and be a critical success. If Whedon can do it, I am sure anybody can do it. Dark Star Wars is gonna be boring, no question. And really disturbing and disappointing. Even Episode III with the purge of Jedi...it didn't feel dark, just dramatic and sad. I don't want this to be dark.

I bet next, we will hear that they want Episodes 7-9 to be "More Realistic" bleh!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
Ugh, that's pretty much everything I'm afraid a new Star Wars movie would be. Overly stylistic, and trying painfully hard to be cool & edgy.
Yeah and it'd be totally fucking awesome.

With the writers at Disney, there's no doubt this thing will have substance. It's time to inject some frenetic energy into this ACTION FRANCHISE.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 AM
Chewy

I wonder if they would work or do Chewbaccas death in this trilogy for in the Books he dies saving Anakin Solo.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Star Wars

I'll go against the grain here and point out that Star Wars needs a new fresh face. I think it's time to give the helm to a clean slate director, one who would make George Lucas proud.

I nominate Kathleen Kennedy. Her long time professional partnership with Lucas in both the film industry and abroad, suits this unique opportunity for a new chapter. She is professional, knows her way with the camera and would have made a much better Jurassic movie than Joe Johnston.

Overall, I feel its about time some new blood enter the scene and Lucas' wife likely wouldn't disagree. Her pedigree now as head of Lucasfilm keeps her close to the source material. She probably could court a better script than Singer, and with ILM or Spielberg on board I'm sure they could do Star Wars justice.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:35 AM
They should consider starting completely fresh in an entirely new era....perhaps 100 years after or hundreds of years before Episode IV. I'd like to see a movie that take place thousands of years before IV, like the Knights of the Old Republic games. The key thing they need to fix is to make Jedis and Dark Jedis/Sith active adversaries
in their prime....not nearly forgotten religions. When you have 10 Jedis going to war in a huge battle, there should be 20 dark jedis or Sith fighting them....not 1 Sith.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
I hope not!
I 2nd that, I truly don't want Joe directing, I prefer Brad Bird or Matthew Vaughen!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin2013 View Post
I wonder if they would work or do Chewbaccas death in this trilogy for in the Books he dies saving Anakin Solo.
Na, probably won't happen. They have already stated that these new films won't follow the books. Which I'm happy with, should be interesting and exciting!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 PM
If they venture from the books and make a completely different story-line post ROTJ then it's breaking a canon rich in characters, plots and intrigue! I've read every book from the Truce of Bakura (immediately after ROTJ) to the end of New Jedi Order (20+ years after) and there's a plethora of good subjects they could tap! Man, what a waste...
Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
If they venture from the books and make a completely different story-line post ROTJ then it's breaking a canon rich in characters, plots and intrigue! I've read every book from the Truce of Bakura (immediately after ROTJ) to the end of New Jedi Order (20+ years after) and there's a plethora of good subjects they could tap! Man, what a waste...
The difficulty with using the Novels as source material is every novel breaks each other's canon rules. If they just stuck with one storyline, there would be a point. With Star Wars, ever since Dark Night of Thrawn the story has been all over the place..

The most Lucasfilm will do is loosely base the movies scripting plot off of some elements from the Novels, which is exactly what most fans would expect they should do. This is the truth.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentWakeVille View Post
The difficulty with using the Novels as source material is every novel breaks each other's canon rules. If they just stuck with one storyline, there would be a point. With Star Wars, ever since Dark Night of Thrawn the story has been all over the place..

The most Lucasfilm will do is loosely base the movies scripting plot off of some elements from the Novels, which is exactly what most fans would expect they should do. This is the truth.
I think the best option is to take bits of the books and mend the stories together into one cohesive story. Take parts that hey can fit together into their script or into one story. i am not very familiar with the books so i would love to have someone with more knowledge on them fill me in and give me a good place to pick up from book wise so i can catch up and see what stories thay have. WHat happens to the sith after return of the jedi? What happens to the main characters from all the films? Any info would be awesome.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 PM
What the H is up with this Zack Snyder news/rumors?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
That is a very good question, all i know is what was posted on the movie news part of this site. It sounds fucking awesome to me though. Seven Samurai is one of those films that just about everyone loves, and for me was one of my biggest influences in getting involved in film, so fuck ya.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
apparently its not true, I guess his reps debunked it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
apparently its not true, I guess his reps debunked it.
god
Spoiler:
damn
Spoiler:
it
Spoiler:
=(
Old 01-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Thank goodness. Please keep the Snyders, Bays, Emmerichs, Sommerses, etc. away from SW.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm finding it a little surprising that so many directors have turned down the chance to direct this. I'd bet that most, if not all, grew up with Star Wars and the series is one of the reasons these guys got into movies. Now when they have an opportunity to direct a Star Wars movie, a lot of them are passing on the project.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I'm finding it a little surprising that so many directors have turned down the chance to direct this. I'd bet that most, if not all, grew up with Star Wars and the series is one of the reasons these guys got into movies. Now when they have an opportunity to direct a Star Wars movie, a lot of them are passing on the project.
I think it's a bit of a fearful project to tackle and a rushed one as well that they probably would prefer having time to create something wonderful. Del Toro passed on it because he has a dozen other projects he has been talking about for the last decade that he's still trying to get off the ground, Abrams has commitment to Star Trek, Whedon has The Avengers, and Spielberg respects that it's his best friend's baby. I think we'll end up getting Vaughn because he seems like a safe bet. After episode VII I'm sure we'll see directors line up for the opportunity--it'll be like James Bond.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I'm finding it a little surprising that so many directors have turned down the chance to direct this.
I'm not. I bet these directors are afraid of the fans. Look what happened to Lucas. Fans bashed him ridiculously hard. Fans turned Lucas into into a spoof of himself. It seems like every other year we get a documentary pointing out how he fucked things up. It reached a point that fans stopped being critical and became vicious. Fans simply went crazy, for over a decade, they were out to get Lucas. What established director would want to take a risk like that? If you didn't appease fanboys then the fanboys would essentially ruin your career.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
I'm not. I bet these directors are afraid of the fans. Look what happened to Lucas. Fans bashed him ridiculously hard. Fans turned Lucas into into a spoof of himself. It seems like every other year we get a documentary pointing out how he fucked things up. It reached a point that fans stopped being critical and became vicious. Fans simply went crazy, for over a decade, they were out to get Lucas. What established director would want to take a risk like that? If you didn't appease fanboys then the fanboys would essentially ruin your career.
Gotta agree
Old 01-21-2013, 06:01 AM
Yep. No 3 movies have arguably ever been so closely watched under the world's most powerful microscope more than the prequels were. Who in their right mind would want that much pressure on them?

Still, with May 2015 drawing nearer by the day, I hope someone take on this thankless role.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Just make a good movie with decent acting. I am not a SW fanboy , never really got in to it so I really don't give a shit what Disney does to the franchise. Any talented director could make a good SW film , it's not that hard since the other films are just regular.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Just been announced that JJ Abrams WILL be directing this movie!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=99323
Old 01-24-2013, 04:27 PM

But seriously. This is exciting news. Abrams has always professed his undying love for Star Wars and how much it was an inspiration for him to direct Star Trek. I am very confident that he'll pay tribute to the original saga all while making something completely new and original. It'll also be nice to see how many of the old faces he'll bring back since it's something he likes doing with Star Trek. Another thing I look forward to is the insane lightsaber battles that I'm sure we're likely to get, on top of the insane space battles! It's a good day to be a Star Wars fan.

Last edited by Roy Batty; 01-24-2013 at 04:30 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 PM
My biggest hope for this film has always been for a director that can recapture the charm of the originals. Seeing how well Abrams captured the charm of 80's Spielberg in 'Super 8', I have no doubt he will do it once again with 'Star Wars'.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM
I believe that with Abrams behind the camera, it's in capable hands. He did fantastic with the Star Trek reboot, so one can only hope Star Wars will travel along the same path.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Not bad. JJ Abrams is a talented director and has the optimism to get Star Wars right. My main issue with his ideas in the past is that he always has great hooks but poor follow-throughs. With Michael Arndt writing the script though, I think we're in capable hands for maintaining the tone of the series.

Still would've loved Brad Bird but this is good enough.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Stoked.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 PM
I like JJ and would be down if he were only doing Star Wars. However, since he is already committed to Star Trek I just feel like it will be difficult to do both and have them not be very similar. I just feel he should focus on one or on the other. I would love to be surprised though.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 PM

Just please no more flares...
Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 AM
Pretty safe choice.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post

Just please no more flares...
There will always be lens flares in an Abrams' film. It's his trademark.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Thinking about seeing an older Han or Luke on screen....I don't know if that would be a good or bad thing.

Count me as psyched outtttta my mind though! I'm pretty confident this is the absolute best decision....
Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM
The Lens flare bit is funny but i wonder how much Abrams has signed up for because his plate seems pretty full has he signed up for
the next 3 films,or just 1 and a producer and consultant for following 2 films?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakinsrise View Post
The Lens flare bit is funny but i wonder how much Abrams has signed up for because his plate seems pretty full has he signed up for
the next 3 films,or just 1 and a producer and consultant for following 2 films?
Well, Lucas is already Creative Consultant for these movies (they're still his stories, after all), so I don't see that happening. This would likely be either a one-off thing, or he'll be doing nothing but Star Trek and Star Wars movies for the rest of the decade. : /
Old 01-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I believe most of you love him, but I hate him. I find him to be totally over rated as a director. He is like M Night and makes awesome trailers and the movies do not live up to his own hype based on the awesome trailer. I hated his Star Trek, MI3, never liked Lost, Super 8 sucked and Alias was weak ass after season 1. I love Star Wars and I was really looking forward to the new movies and now....... I don't know anymore.

Fringe I did like the first season and after that it sucked. He makes stuff that drags on and I lose interest.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:18 PM
I like the choice. I loved Star Trek and Super 8, and while M:I III isn't my favorite of the series, it definitely had its moments. He's shown to be able to handle big budget sci-fi movies and knows how to include story, character, and humor into them.

I'm just really surprised he accepted the job, considering he already has Star Trek under his belt. And now I've read he might continue working on that franchise as well.

Looking forward to seeing what he does with it.