Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Have you ever been unemployed

If you have been unemployed or retreched from your job how have you coped with this

I know a few years back l was in the unemployment line and l was unemployed for around 6yrs

it is amazing how you feel when going through this and the confidence you lose while trying to get back into the workforce

Some job interveiws have around 3oo people going for it and well sometimes you miss out and that is not good for the convidence

Also when you are out of work for a long time your work history is put into your face because in other words it is unstable which can be bad when the employer you are having the interveiw asks that very qestion

How long have you been out of work and you reply with Umm 6 yrs

They dont want to know you from that point and it is hard to keep going

I remember the employment agency l was with said l was good for nothing and that l should only go fro the worst jobs well l went and had a look at the job and thought l can do better than this and didnt go back

So well l lost my umemployment benifits for 3mths and it was around christmas and l can say it was terrible losing my benifits around this time and having asmall child who was looking forward to christmas and me knowing that the christmas tree would be bare of presents

So within a week l got my current job which l have been there for 5 yrs and getting good money when l was told l was worthless

Also we can talk about people being retrenched and most of those workers are over 50 or older

Has this happened to you where you have been at the same job for years and then told to go

My dad was 23 when he was hired as a postman well he got to the age of 55 and they got rid of him after 30yrs the way he felt about this was terrible and trying to find a job at this age or older is pretty hard when you are up against young people

Anyway tell us all your stories if you have been unemployed and the effects this has had on you

I would never look down on the unemployed because l have been there and it is hard

Also have you been retrenched from your job and what feeling did you have about this
Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Yup. When the economy tanked at the end of 2008, even though the company I worked for was doing fine, they canned me and my boss. Not too long after that, they closed the entire Kansas City office and about a dozen people lost their jobs.

That was around the time, you may remember, that we were losing around 750,000 jobs a month. I filed for unemployment and my company fought me on it. But, as they didn't follow the right protocol before firing me, I fought back and eventually won, as they didn't even try and defend their practices.

I applied to countless jobs, many of which I wasn't qualified for, with no reply. I went to a few job fairs before realizing what a complete waste of time those are (hundreds show up for a handful of positions - don't bother unless it's a line of work you are extremely qualified and experienced in).

I got my first interview in April, 2010 - eighteen months after I lost my job. I thought the interview went great. I anticipated their questions and answered them before they could even ask. Never heard back. My second job interview wasn't for another four months. Again, interview went great; it was the kind of work I had done before; I knew what they were going to ask before they did, etc., etc. Nothing.

I lucked out and snagged something right as my benefits were about to run out for good. The job wasn't great. The pay wasn't great. But I had no alternative. Luckily, it's worked out okay. I've been there two years and make enough to get by (along with another part time job).

I wouldn't wish unemployment on anyone. Constant rejection is extremely demoralizing and depressing, especially when you know you can do the job. Luckily, with the emergency unemployment extensions, I was able to pay my bills and stay in my apartment.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Yup. When the economy tanked at the end of 2008, even though the company I worked for was doing fine, they canned me and my boss. Not too long after that, they closed the entire Kansas City office and about a dozen people lost their jobs.

That was around the time, you may remember, that we were losing around 750,000 jobs a month. I filed for unemployment and my company fought me on it. But, as they didn't follow the right protocol before firing me, I fought back and eventually won, as they didn't even try and defend their practices.

I applied to countless jobs, many of which I wasn't qualified for, with no reply. I went to a few job fairs before realizing what a complete waste of time those are (hundreds show up for a handful of positions - don't bother unless it's a line of work you are extremely qualified and experienced in).

I got my first interview in April, 2010 - eighteen months after I lost my job. I thought the interview went great. I anticipated their questions and answered them before they could even ask. Never heard back. My second job interview wasn't for another four months. Again, interview went great; it was the kind of work I had done before; I knew what they were going to ask before they did, etc., etc. Nothing.

I lucked out and snagged something right as my benefits were about to run out for good. The job wasn't great. The pay wasn't great. But I had no alternative. Luckily, it's worked out okay. I've been there two years and make enough to get by (along with another part time job).

I wouldn't wish unemployment on anyone. Constant rejection is extremely demoralizing and depressing, especially when you know you can do the job. Luckily, with the emergency unemployment extensions, I was able to pay my bills and stay in my apartment.
Been there and can concur, except I didn't have unemployment, I went through all my savings thinking at most, I'd be unemployed for a year. I went a little over 2 years being unemployed and it is a blackhole of oblivion that no one wants to ever visit, but if you're lucky enough to slowly be able to crawl out of it, it can make you a better person. But if you can go without that experience, all the power to you.

There were two points where I really felt like "Oh my God, I will never find work and my life will be meaningless": the first was when I applied and got an interview at a company I researched whose work I fell in love it. I was giving my all. Any question they posed I was on it with an experienced answer, I was friendly, knowledgeable and confident. Then I noticed the interviewer wasn't giving me any questions, nothing that was very involved. She was pulling away. I was dead in the water.

That hurt.

The second was when I applied to a job that was EXACTLY like a job I previously had for over a year and half. I didn't even get a freaking interview. Right there I thought "I can't even get an interview doing the exact same job I had done before, what chance do I have of getting any job?" That's when your life flashes before your eyes. Not your past, but your hypothetical future life, paralleled with your new reality future. That's when you just sleep the days away until they all just pass as a blur because its all become meaningless.

Despite how unbelievably desperate and low I felt during those 2 years I thank Christ I had the family I have, because if I didn't I would absolutely be out in the street somewhere living out some nightmarish statistic.

If you really want to read a vast array of unemployment stories, some relate-able some debatable, then I insist you read Gawker's continuing series Unemployment Stories. Real people really suffering through this great recession.

Last edited by electriclite; 12-03-2012 at 01:04 AM..
Old 12-03-2012, 01:03 AM
I hear ya. Are you alright now though, electriclite? Did you find a job you like, or at least something? It's a fucking bitch especially when you apply for a shitty internship position that you're overqualified for and don't even get a call - now THAT stings.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
I hear ya. Are you alright now though, electriclite? Did you find a job you like, or at least something? It's a fucking bitch especially when you apply for a shitty internship position that you're overqualified for and don't even get a call - now THAT stings.

Dude, unpaid internships are a fucking dirty word to me after this experience. If you need me, fucking pay me. Even if its shit, show me that the work I'm gonna do has some value, because if they're not gonna pay you for work then its not anything they really value to begin with, and why would you want to waste your time working on that?

I was EXTREMELY lucky. I applied to a job at a science museum for a technology mentor position working with kids. The irony of it is, I NEVER thought I could work with kids. I thought I did not have the temperment for it and considering all the legalities involved working with kids I thought I would never get a call let alone an interview. I had no previous experience working with kids, but they called gave me a phone interview and hired me. I was only once a week helping kids create 3D representations of climate change (whether you believe it exists or not it gave me a job and a paycheck for 7 months). To my surprise I actually did a really good job. The people AND the kids loved me. So much so they invited me to work two 2 week summer sessions.

The sad thing is the program finally ended after this summer, and of course I was bummed about being unemployed again, but after I had sent a connection invitation from my LinkedIn account to my supervisor I got a call from him. He told me he was writing a bunch of grant proposals with me in mind to work on those projects. He said some extremely nice things about me that I swear almost made me tear-up. It was akin to that feeling when you find out a crush you have actually likes you back. I spent almost 2 years feeling obsolete and useless and here was someone telling me "No you're not, in fact you're awesome and we like you!" That was a badly needed injection of confidence and purpose.

I am working right now, part-time at a nice place and things are looking up and I'm using this opportunity to really build myself back up again.

Last edited by electriclite; 12-03-2012 at 01:25 AM..
Old 12-03-2012, 03:56 AM
Life's a fucking rollercoaster, I tell ya.

Yea internships have a pretty evil side to them, essentially exploitation - but if it's between getting a foot in the door in the career field you actually like and being completely unemployed - I'll take it. But then, it all depends on what position you're in.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Life's a fucking rollercoaster, I tell ya.

Yea internships have a pretty evil side to them, essentially exploitation - but if it's between getting a foot in the door in the career field you actually like and being completely unemployed - I'll take it. But then, it all depends on what position you're in.

A little more irony (because that's how my life works): When I was freshly unemployed and had a hefty savings, every place I applied to for an internship I wouldn't hear back from, but when I depleted my savings all these unpaid internships were oh so happy to exploit me. Of course I couldn't accept an unpaid internship without a part-time job otherwise I'd have to quit the internship anyway because I wouldn't be able to afford to travel and pay for food. And since I wasn't getting ANY paid work I wasn't accepting any internships.

Anyway, the internship model is in serious need of some cleaning out. Nothing that's going on right now is remotely close to the legal definition of an internship. If they're unpaid you're not supposed to be doing any work that benefits the company financially, you're basically suppose to sit/stand and observe and ask questions.

US Department of Labor: Internships Under the Fair Labor Standards Act

Paying to Work for Free
Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM
This topic is a very hard home hitting one for me personally. I have been unemployed since March of this year. That is a long time. Infact, I have been unemployed more in my working life than I have been employed since I left school. That is just plain sad. I guess people hate me. Yes, that's it. I am certified 100% employable by my case manager at my job agency. And although that makes me out to be a total retard (perhaps i am). I still look for work. But each and every single year it becomes more difficult to find suitable, or even remotely suitable work. It's a way of life for me. The longest that I have been unemployed is about 2-3 years. I can;t even get a job sweeping floors. Reason being if you're over 21, they have to pay you too much. The minimum award hourly pay rate is disgusting in Australia. But I don't really want to get into all of this. It's depressing enough.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 AM
I was unemployed for almost 2 years but it was of my own doing.

After working at the same workshop for 16 years , i just didn't have it in me anymore. I was totally burned out from my daily chores and the long hours in overtime until one morning i just couldn't get out of bed anymore. I called my boss and told him i was leaving. After 3 months in my bed , I decide to take all my money and i went to Europe for 3 months to get a fresh start ( I call this my springboard moment).

When i came back , i was fine and refreshed but with nothing ahead of me. Like most people here , it took me over a year to find a new job because with 16 years of experience in 1 domain , it's very hard to branch out and get a job outside your skills set. Trying to explain every freaking time why i wanted to change domain was depressing as hell , i felt a little bit like Fry in Futurama ( once a delivery guy , always a delivery guy ) and potential employers are always wary of people who suffered from depression.

Eventually i lost my apartment , moved in with a friend and had to rely on social assistance so i could take a career re-orientation class ( one of those thing the govermnent provide to help people on welfare ). Giving up was the best decision i made in a sense. I learned how to tweak my resume to include other skills i didn't knew i had and eventually found my actual job of the last 2 years. Granted it's only a temporary position the first 3 years ( meaning it's on call , no garanteed hours ) but i like it alot. The pay is very good , the tasks are always different and the people are nice.

So if you ever feel tired , sick or depressed about your job and you wanna quit. Start making an exit strategy before you become burned-out like me. Job hunting is easier when you already have a job. My story ends well so far from me but i still wasted 2 years of my life to get back on my feet ( except my trip of course , that was a long overdue vacation )
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
I was unemployed for almost 2 years but it was of my own doing.

After working at the same workshop for 16 years , i just didn't have it in me anymore. I was totally burned out from my daily chores and the long hours in overtime until one morning i just couldn't get out of bed anymore. I called my boss and told him i was leaving. After 3 months in my bed , I decide to take all my money and i went to Europe for 3 months to get a fresh start ( I call this my springboard moment).

When i came back , i was fine and refreshed but with nothing ahead of me. Like most people here , it took me over a year to find a new job because with 16 years of experience in 1 domain , it's very hard to branch out and get a job outside your skills set. Trying to explain every freaking time why i wanted to change domain was depressing as hell , i felt a little bit like Fry in Futurama ( once a delivery guy , always a delivery guy ) and potential employers are always wary of people who suffered from depression.

Eventually i lost my apartment , moved in with a friend and had to rely on social assistance so i could take a career re-orientation class ( one of those thing the govermnent provide to help people on welfare ). Giving up was the best decision i made in a sense. I learned how to tweak my resume to include other skills i didn't knew i had and eventually found my actual job of the last 2 years. Granted it's only a temporary position the first 3 years ( meaning it's on call , no garanteed hours ) but i like it alot. The pay is very good , the tasks are always different and the people are nice.

So if you ever feel tired , sick or depressed about your job and you wanna quit. Start making an exit strategy before you become burned-out like me. Job hunting is easier when you already have a job. My story ends well so far from me but i still wasted 2 years of my life to get back on my feet ( except my trip of course , that was a long overdue vacation )
Yeah I had a similar case, except it was more like "my job wasn't allowing me to do my job" kind of scenario. It was like that for a bunch of other people as well I guess, cause they jumped ship during this recession too. Which gives you an idea how bad it was at my old job.

The thing about securing other work while you still have a job is, when I was not working and looking for work I realized that looking for work is your new job. You gotta start in the morning and end sometime in the early afternoon. You absolutely have to be one of the first few people to respond to a job posting for that or you're not hearing back from anyone. But trying to do that while you're at work doing all your other tasks, which after the recession have of course tripled in their number, gets pretty hard, not to mention scheduling an interview and figuring a way out of work. But its true, people are more interested in you if you already have a job because they think if you've survived all these layoffs you must be someone valuable enough for your company to want to hold on to.

I'm curious, what'd you do for those 3 months in Europe? Where'd you stay? I did the same thing after my job, but I only went for 2 weeks.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 PM
nope.. I have had the same job since 1998...I had three month break when the new store was being built. that job is Mcdonalds
Old 12-05-2012, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by athf1980 View Post
I have had the same job since 1998... that job is Mcdonalds
I bet that you flip a mean beef patty. Hahaha... You obviously would get either free, or some sort of big discount on Maccas, right? But the thing is, do you eat Maccas?
Also, since you have worked there for so long, has a Big Mac, which is arguably the signature burger from Maccas, shrunk over the years?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 AM
L used to work for macca a few years ago and you used to get free maccas food if you worked the day shift or night shift but after a while it becomes sucking on a day to say basis on the big Mac bun has shrunk in size like ever bun in that store on discount never got that when I worked there
Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Also they employ different age groups not just young people
Old 12-05-2012, 10:19 PM
I have never been unemployed by technical terms. I lost a few jobs in college for various reasons, but always found a new minimum wage job extremely quickly.

Ever since my "real" career post college, I have been blessed to have stable employment for the past 2+ years. Unfortunately I do work in an area that has the potential to be the first area to experience cuts. The impending health care implosion could change things for me greatly.

I feel for you guys who had to go through such a horrible experience. I hope I never have to experience that.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
I know a few years back l was in the unemployment line and l was unemployed for around 6yrs
Was there actually a line?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
I bet that you flip a mean beef patty. Hahaha... You obviously would get either free, or some sort of big discount on Maccas, right? But the thing is, do you eat Maccas?
Also, since you have worked there for so long, has a Big Mac, which is arguably the signature burger from Maccas, shrunk over the years?

I get 50% off when I work. of course I eat there on my break because it's cheap for me to eat there. The big mac is the same because i have made so many i really don't notice the difference. I have been there when i was 17. now I'm 32. it's a steady job and paycheck. I usually run the kitchen during the afternoon

Last edited by athf1980; 12-05-2012 at 11:04 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM
I was also going to say that Coles and a few ssupermarkets hire poeplr of different ages and most jobs you have to go on the internet which a few years ago you could just go in the storell

Last edited by Bondgirl; 12-07-2012 at 07:51 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Sorry postted twice by mistake

Last edited by Bondgirl; 12-06-2012 at 08:25 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Was there actually a line?
To answer your question employment. Line is a word of expressiun meaning that sometimes liar abut of Aussie lingo
Old 12-07-2012, 11:36 AM
yeah when I was in prison for 14 months. That's the only time.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Well when you were in prison that is if you are telling the truth you wouldnt have got unemployment money

Maybe a allowance which you would use when released from prison
Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Well when you were in prison that is if you are telling the truth you wouldnt have got unemployment money

Maybe a allowance which you would use when released from prison
What would I have to gain by lieing about being in prison on an internet movie form?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM
yes Bondgirl ..... people can be asses and still tell the truth !

To be fair , you did ask if people were unemployed ... not if people received unemployement money.

Actually , i was unemployed for 2 years but only received checks for 6 months before i got my actual job .... i wasn't eligible until i burned my 50k nest egg.

So yeah , prison counts .... sort of !
Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 PM
It seems like those with jobs want new ones, those without jobs either want to stay on the system or find a good job.

A friend of mine, who is unemployed, used to bash those who were unemployed and could not find work. Then he became unemployed after some downsizing, and now is complaining nobody will hire him, even though he has experience.

Another friend, who is also unemployed, has been looking for anything for the last 2 years, but never gets any callbacks after an interview. She has even gone out and dumb down her application to apply for fast fast, and still no luck.

Myself, I was unemployed once, many years ago, and it was terrible. At first it is like a vacation, but after a few days you get bored. I was pacing around, cleaning everything in sight, and annoying everyone. But, there are many people who do enjoy this.

I know many people say, "Get a job," but someone has to call for an interview, and you need to ace the interview. It is not like years ago, when you walk in a place, and be hired that same day. It can be a long process for a job that is only part-time. A friend of mine, went through a process with a bank to be a part-time teller. It was 20 hours a week, and he had to go through a million steps. And in the end, they decided not to fill the position. A lot of wasted time. Add in that if he had been hired, they said they were his top priority over any other employer, and they were part-time.

Amazing, where we are at in other economic times. I will say, if you plan to leave your job, have another waiting.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Dubbs View Post
What would I have to gain by lieing about being in prison on an internet movie form?
Geez sometimes l put myself into a pickle

Okay from what l see here you were telling the truth and l am sorry l judged you on your coment
But being unemployed in prrison doesnt give you the right to say you are unemployed because you are doing time for a crime you commited

Please dont be angry for what l have said in Australia if you go into prison you can not claim anything like unemployment benifits but in jail you can work in diffrent situtions where that money is put away for the person when they get out of jail

I feel as if l am going to hit a nerve and if l do l want to apoligize to you

But when you get out of prison then you can say you are unemployed and go for unemployment benifits

To have this payment you have to wait a extra 6 weeks which puts a person in hardship for that time but we do have charitys that help in these cases
Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
yes Bondgirl ..... people can be asses and still tell the truth !

To be fair , you did ask if people were unemployed ... not if people received unemployement money.

Actually , i was unemployed for 2 years but only received checks for 6 months before i got my actual job .... i wasn't eligible until i burned my 50k nest egg.

So yeah , prison counts .... sort of !
Well it is true l asked if any members were unemployed and maybe l should have asked if they received assistance too but it is amazing when you can make a mistake Dirtyfrog on not asking more qestions

Yes it is true if you have alump sum in the bank and you ask for assitance you can be turned away

I know of a person who was working and receiving a youth benifit and sometimes during her work she would get a good pay for a few weeks and then only get around two days work they canceled her healthcare card because she had earned too much even though it was only sometimes she would get around six days work

But that is the way it is

I would prefer to stay off unemployment benifits because l was treated not in a nice way
I was looking for work for a long time and l had experiece in childcare but as you see l couldnt get any work so my case worker or eomplyment officer as they were called a few years back told me l had to get up very early in the morning and go for a job way out in the sticks well you see l didnt have a car and when we went as a group theree was a few of us we went by bus

We got there you see it was a strawberry farm and geez it looked like shit

We went into this huge shed where there was around 20 workers working away

i asked in a polite way how much do you get for packing strawberrys and they said they go by a piece rate

You see you had to do around 50 trays to make a abit of a wage

I was told it was 92cents a tray waht a whole lot of bullshit l was not going to work for that you see

Just add up 50trays and l think you will understand why l gave this job the flick and lost my benifits for 3mths

Sometimes you wonder why the goverment doesnt get hold of these rip off jobs

Also l went for a job in a cafe nie place l thought

I worked for bloody six hrs which l thought working that amount of time l would have the job

I was wrong when l went to leave l thought l would get a days wages to my surprise they offered me a sandwich for my efforts they said they would call the next day well they didnt so l called back myself and couldnt get hold of the employer who was proberly there but wouldnt take my call l was told he was out

So l was pissed off and decided to go into the store and caught him off said and l said to him why didnt you ring me instead of me having to resort to entering his stupid store

he wouldnt look me in the face the arsehole but l said l only wanted to say do l have the job or were you just using me he didnt answer to that

But yes it is bloody hard out there and some employers mess around with the unemployed but l have to say when l spoke to the employment officer about the strawberry job she said l couldnt be employered for other jobs so l felt degraded with that

I left and like l said l found work a week later and it is a good job even though it has its ups and downs

I feel that employment officers need to look after there job seekers and give them confidence and keep the job seeker hopeful they are employed to help not to degrade a person and then if you take notice of what these people are saying sometimes you can feel horrible and sometimes you dont want to get up

With me even though l was pushed down a few times l had to get up know one in there own right should put a person down
Old 12-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Geez sometimes l put myself into a pickle

Okay from what l see here you were telling the truth and l am sorry l judged you on your coment
But being unemployed in prrison doesnt give you the right to say you are unemployed because you are doing time for a crime you commited

Please dont be angry for what l have said in Australia if you go into prison you can not claim anything like unemployment benifits but in jail you can work in diffrent situtions where that money is put away for the person when they get out of jail

I feel as if l am going to hit a nerve and if l do l want to apoligize to you

But when you get out of prison then you can say you are unemployed and go for unemployment benifits

To have this payment you have to wait a extra 6 weeks which puts a person in hardship for that time but we do have charitys that help in these cases
Being unemployed in prison does give me the right for the simple fact that I was. Next time you make a thread you need to be specific and clear about the guidelines.

Don't give me that hit a nerve bullshit either. Nobody on here is capable of hitting any kind of nerve. I have rough skin, and talk is cheap anyways.

You don't know anything about prison do you?

I'm going to simplify this and put it in a language you can understand to try and cover any questions or future questions about the United States prison systems.

This is going to be a long post so bear with me bondgirl.

Up until the time that you are sentenced to prison, you are being held at a county jail. From there you attend a reception. Which for me was Wasco Prison in Bakersfield. Wasco prison is considered one of the most dangerous prisons in all of california for two reasons. Everyone who has been in Prison or who is going must go through Wasco. That and everyone is trying to make a name for themselves. You are kept there until they can find some room for you in a different prison. The prison is also based on your crime. To try and determine where you fit in best. This can be Soledad, Tracy, Pelican Bay, San Quentin Ironwood, Chino etc.....Can also be out of state High Desert, McNeil, or Marion etc....

The reception is always a given, that and the fact that it's irrelevant, when two ex con's are talking about where they have done a long stretch of time is why it's never brought up. Because it was only a few months. In the grand scheme of things that doesn't amount to a whole hell of alot. I was transferred from Wasco to San Quentin where I served out the rest of my time. When you arrive you are then given a specific housing unit and by that I mean a wing in which the prison, and a certain block on that wing were your cell is located.

To anwser your question though, there is no allowance bondgirl. I wasn't eligable for unemployment because I was fired. In order to collect you must be layed off. I was fired after the third day I didn't show. You don't get an allowance or even get to handle money. You have an account which money is put into, that is called your book. This money can come from any outside party-friends, family, girlfriend whatever. This money can be spent on whatever is offeered at at the comissary store. Usually referred to as the canteen by other inmates. The store is only open for a couple of hours of certain days in the week. It offers things like candy, snacks, hygiene products etc. and so forth. Hope that anwsered your question.

There's lots of things that go on in there. Story's I could tell you that range from guy's blowing each other in the bathroom, a guy crying and pleading for his life while he's getting fucked up the ass, the all out riots with shit flying everywhere and free for all fights sometimes sometimes deaths., the consistent around the clock bloody shower fights, other guys getting their face smashed in just for looking at someone the wrong way. That's just some of the few things that went on in San Quentin, Good times. I don't think you wanna hear about the rest, this post is already too long so we'll save those story's for another day.

Last edited by SL Dubbs; 12-18-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Never been unemployed in the Economic sense where I was "actively looking" for a job.

When I graduated from college, I didn't get a job until the following January. But I didn't start looking until after Thanksgiving, so I wouldn't really call that unemployment.

When I quit that job as a Corporate Risk Analyst, it was to become a full-time student so I can get my Master's and Teaching Certification. So again, I wasn't working, but I wasn't actively looking, either.

Of course, things can change mighty fast.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:24 PM
I've been unemployed. Twice.

First time was right after 9 years in the Navy, with a fair set of qualifications (but no degree). It took almost a year to get a fucking job.
It paid quite well, but then congress took that position away and a dozen of us were left with eight weeks' notice to GTFOutta Dodge. It cost me ten grand to get myself back home (moving/shipping from Hawaii back to Washington, breaking out of my lease, etc...).
Then I thought, "well I'll go to school and finally get my stupid-ass degree". That was holding me back from many job opportunities. At this point I had over ten years' experience in my field, but no degree.
I was the opposite of a friend of mine. He got a Masters in aeronautical engineering. No experience. Companies wouldn't hire him because he has his degree, but not EXPERIENCE. I wouldn't get hired because I had experience, but no fucking DEGREE.
It's like "yeah, I was working and leaving the country every two months for months at a time, it's not like getting a degree is easy in this situation."
My friend said "Man, I spent all these years in school to get the degree. Now they won't hire because of lack of experience?"

I have had my current job for three years. I'm going to be totally debt-free this year (fingers crossed) after being financially fucked in the ass and relying on credit cards (and the week after I was unemployed and started charging a lot to SURVIVE, two of the companies jacked up my interest from 11.9% to 29.98% just before the new CC laws came into effect. I never even missed a single fucking payment!) while taking a sad unemployment check (which saved my life; better than nothing) after getting a car that I thought would be paid off in four years in my previous job. Instead, I had that job 17 months and was left in the wind.

Unemployment sucks. I might be there again in a year. We'll see. I'm looking for work starting this June, when I finally have my BA. Then I'll have experience and a degree, so hopefully I'll get my foot in more doors.
However, I guarantee they'll instead be looking for a Masters. Today, a bachelors is like an AA degree ten years ago. But it's better than nothing.

I applied for literally hundreds of positions. I got only three interviews. One went real well, and I am pretty sure I would have gotten the job. They were looking for someone who has experience dealing with East Asian cultures. I was a Vietnamese interpreter/translator that went over there dozens of times. I also speak Chinese Mandarin. They were hoping for a Japanese translator, but I filled all their other checkboxes.
Then the next day the interviewed a guy that spoke Japanese. Just my luck! Shit like that happens all the fucking time.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Was fired on Nov 5 2010 due to the company not liking FMLA... Wife had our daughter at the end of Sept that year,a week later my wife was in icu with pneumonia and we were also dealing with our newborn daughters galactosemia. All that happened in a month. Anyway,was fired..filed for unemployment..got that in Dec 2010. It ended in April of 2012... Back working at the place I was fired from in October of last year. Got to spend 2 years being stay at home dad. Was great. No regrets.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Yes it is terrible to lose your job and then both your wife and child bcoming sick would ahve been hard on you

I know that when l lost my job afew years ago it was hard going and my job loss happened around christmas time and not having all this made me feel bad for my daughter so within a week l got a job

it is amzing waht you can do when things get desparate

In Australia alot of women are on sole parents benifit now thses women will be taken off this whehn there child becomes 8yrs old and then they will be put on unemployment benfit meaning these women will lose 230 dollars
Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 PM
I've never had an issue paying more taxes to help people in need. Whether it's unemployent,food stamps or health care. If someone needs help they should get it. But there are to many that abuse the system and it makes it tougher to want to help sometimes.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Well as we have just said we all have been through bad times and have had to apply for help
But l have the understanding hwere they are going with soleparents

if a mum is out of work fro a very long time it is hard to get back in and not having a stable work history makes it harder

I know when l was unemployed and they last place l worked at was a childcare center which was the most recent job

The employment agency wanted to take this off my resume leaving me with no contacts

I got a freind to add all my recent contacts back on because l can tell you going to a job with no work hiostory is not very good
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Yes, and it sucked my elongated schlong!