Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Hitchcock

Directed by Sacha Gervasi

Written by John J. McLaughlin

Genre: Drama

Plot Outline: Alfred Hitchcock (Anthony Hopkins) after the success of North by Northwest, finds himself uninspired until he reads a book called Psycho. This is the story of how Psycho was made, and the relationship between Hitch and his wife and collaborator Alma Reville (Helen Mirren).

Starring: Anthony Hopkins, Helen Mirren, Scarlett Johansson, Michael Stuhlbarg, Danny Huston, Toni Collette, Jessica Biel, Michael Wincott.

Runtime: 98 minutes

=============

Saw it over the weekend. It's very entertaining with Hopkins and Mirren being their natural best. Hopkins pulls off a good Hitch, nothing groundbreaking like DDL does for Lincoln, but he's excellent and one scene in particular towards the end is a highlight of the year because of him. The script is biting and fresh, and the overall story is interesting especially if you don't know too much about Hitchcock's methods (I've never been a die hard Hitch fan, so most of the film revealed new things for me)

Of course, the story is more about Alma and Hitch and not about Psycho, and this is where it gets a bit too thin for my tastes. The conflict between the two just never felt as strenuous as the story wanted it to be. Hitch's visits by Ed Geins were also a bit ... bizarre, and I wish the film went a bit deeper into that.

Overall, 3 stars, 7/10. Solid entertainment.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Looks okay, the wink-wink nature of the jokes really made me roll my eyes. I don't care much for Hopkins, either.

Am I going nuts, or wasn't there a thread for this movie already and now it's nowhere to be found?

Last edited by Lazy Boy; 12-03-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Absolutely hated the film. It's a cartoonish joke.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Wow...I was actually tempted to see this too...hmmm...having second thoughts now...
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM
OK thanks. Redbox for sure.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
Am I going nuts, or wasn't there a thread for this movie already and now it's nowhere to be found?
No idea. I looked but couldn't find, so I created.

Hitchcock was just featured as the worst movie of the year by one of EW's critics. Film is not getting the love it needs to make any sort of impact on awards.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Judging by this buzz, since the movie may fall short might as well edge pervy... does Scarlett Johansson show the goods?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:17 AM
I have seen a preverw of this and it is alright one thing is he didn't treat women well but he thought his wider was everything there is abut of the film where the explain more about his wife
Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Hitchcock was just featured as the worst movie of the year by one of EW's critics.
EW's worst lists always suck. I enjoy their top 10, but not their bottom 5, EVER.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Judging by this buzz, since the movie may fall short might as well edge pervy... does Scarlett Johansson show the goods?
Sadly, no.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
EW's worst lists always suck. I enjoy their top 10, but not their bottom 5, EVER.
EW Last Year
Quote:
5. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn—Part 1
4. Larry Crowne
3. Jack and Jill
2. Sucker Punch
1. I Don't Know How She Does It

And

5. Bad Teacher
4. Another Earth
3. Carnage
2. Battle: Los Angeles
1. I Melt With You
Some of those I never even heard of and there were some worse films that I saw but, of the ones I saw, it's hard to argue that any of those are good films in any way.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Another Earth and Larry Crowne were both among my favorite movies of last year.

Bad Teacher was very funny IMO. I thought Cameron Diaz was great in it.

I didn't like Carnage but one of the year's worst? Give me a break. The acting was too good for it be among the year's worst.

The only movie from those lists that actually belongs there IMO is Jack and Jill.

Admittedly, this is all entirely subjective. But subjectively speaking, their worst lists always suck.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Saw it over the weekend. It's very entertaining with Hopkins and Mirren being their natural best. Hopkins pulls off a good Hitch, nothing groundbreaking like DDL does for Lincoln, but he's excellent and one scene in particular towards the end is a highlight of the year because of him. The script is biting and fresh, and the overall story is interesting especially if you don't know too much about Hitchcock's methods (I've never been a die hard Hitch fan, so most of the film revealed new things for me)

Of course, the story is more about Alma and Hitch and not about Psycho, and this is where it gets a bit too thin for my tastes. The conflict between the two just never felt as strenuous as the story wanted it to be. Hitch's visits by Ed Geins were also a bit ... bizarre, and I wish the film went a bit deeper into that.

Overall, 3 stars, 7/10. Solid entertainment.
This perfectly sums up my feelings. It's very entertaining and watchable, but the relationship stuff is a little thin, the Ed Gein stuff is weird, and it should have focused more on the actual making of Psycho. The best parts of the film are when he's trying to get it greenlit, the stuff on set, and the stuff at the end where he's editing/screening it. The relationship stuff isn't terrible or anything, it's just really thin.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:11 PM
H

The Ed Gein stuff essentially just tries to add a layer of subtext the screenplay has no real intention of ever looking into. I actually read he book the film was based off in junior high and it's actually a very entertaining and informative read from what I remember and the film does a fairly good job of forming the material into a narratives but the film lacks depth I agree. As stated above screenplay veers off into laziness at many points but I was entertained. The fi thankfully doesn't have the delusion of grandeur that crap like My Week With Marilyn and even embraces the fact that its Pure bio trash/ it's Mirren who shines here, Hopkins was a touch too camp for me
Old 02-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
This perfectly sums up my feelings. It's very entertaining and watchable, but the relationship stuff is a little thin, the Ed Gein stuff is weird, and it should have focused more on the actual making of Psycho. The best parts of the film are when he's trying to get it greenlit, the stuff on set, and the stuff at the end where he's editing/screening it. The relationship stuff isn't terrible or anything, it's just really thin.
I feel the same way as both of you, but without the accompanying feeling of "solid entertainment". Maybe I would call it "compelling enough to get me through the film, but nothing more" entertainment. If I was directing and someone gave me that screenplay, I think I would have said "Okay, chop off all of the unnecessary bits -- about half the film -- and let's go ahead and explore the (1) getting greenlit, (2) production on set (3) creation of buzz.

Also gotta say they did a great job on Anthony Perkins and the screenwriter but didn't explore them at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
EW Last Year

Quote:
5. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn—Part 1
4. Larry Crowne
3. Jack and Jill
2. Sucker Punch
1. I Don't Know How She Does It

And

5. Bad Teacher
4. Another Earth
3. Carnage
2. Battle: Los Angeles
1. I Melt With You
Some of those I never even heard of and there were some worse films that I saw but, of the ones I saw, it's hard to argue that any of those are good films in any way.
I think what is absolutely hilarious about that list is that I can't figure out which five is supposed to be the "best" and which five is supposed to be the "worst"
Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 04:25 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Same thing I said about HYDE PARK ON HUDSON- while the film did not knock my socks off, I found it a nice period piece that was fun to watch.

It got me onto a Hitchcock kick, which has been fun... over the past few weeks, I have watched REAR WINDOW, STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, VERTIGO, and PSYCHO. Fun to watch a body of a director's work all together. A lot of it campy and dated at this point, but still impressive to think about what he contributed to film making.

And yes, I guess the guy was a real perv.