Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
I am glad to be hearing from various sites and stuff that the footage is great, I really hope that the footage somehow gets released online because Del Toro said they are going on a blackout until the end of the year.
The radio silence sucks, however I have no doubt in my mind that they'll release some teaser with TDKR.

For now, some reactions: https://vimeo.com/45778841#at=0
Old 07-15-2012, 05:02 PM
^ I would love to see a teaser with TDKR.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmVYCpKFNaI
Old 07-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Old 07-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Quote:
^ I would love to see a teaser with TDKR.
Well, if they don't attach even a teaser to TDKR, then they're dropping the ball pretty early. Doesn't mean it won't have chances to expose itself, they're still a year away, but still - how is showing footage to lots of nerds and geeks at a con going to spread the word of mouth? Yet they completely shun a majority by not showing even a little bit with a teaser? Kinda illogical 'radio silence' if you ask me. I just watched the panel and GDT made it seem like the audience at a Con is some special bunch and that after the Con they go silent til December. Throw the rest of the world a fucking bone already. They don't have to show what they showed at the Con, but they can tease us ala Cloverfield teaser in '07. At least that much would be nice.

I hope what he said at the panel does not apply to a teaser - if one will be attached to TDKR.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 PM
^ That is what I am saying, the TDKR is guaranteed to make bank and it would be great idea to just get the word out to so many people. It doesn't have to be something huge, but just a look. I agree Comic Con is cool and all, but it isn't gonna spread the word like showing it before TDKR. It just seems like a mistake if there will be no teaser.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 PM
video interview with Del Toro
http://collider.com/guillermo-del-to...7/#more-185127
Old 08-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Some new pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pacific-rim-charlie-hunnam-idris-elba-600x417.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	10507   Click image for larger version

Name:	pacific-rim-guillermo-del-toro-600x533.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	10508   Click image for larger version

Name:	pacific-rim-charlie-day-600x381.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	10509   Click image for larger version

Name:	charlie-day-pacific-rim-600x383.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	10510  
Old 09-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Looks like it will be post converted to 3D although it seems GDT wasn't really on board for it to be in 3D and that 3D didn't make sense for this movie.

http://collider.com/pacific-rim-3d-g...2/#more-195032
Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 PM
3D yet again! Fuck 3D! I wish it had never been invented.

Here's another article. Wtf is the big deal about 3D? It's crap.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/pacific...l-toros-wishes

Last edited by God of War; 09-12-2012 at 10:24 PM..
Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
3D yet again! Fuck 3D! I wish it had never been invented.

Here's another article. Wtf is the big deal about 3D? It's crap.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/pacific...l-toros-wishes
They will play a regular (2D) version anyways, so nothing to be worried about. I'd be agitated if the converted version was the only version showing in theaters. So, nothing's lost. To be honest though, I'm neutral on the debate. I did see Titanic converted to 3D and it wasn't bad at all actually, but that film had more time for the conversion process anyway. The case with PacRim is that 3D will actually interfere with the scale of the film.

Quote:
“I didn’t want to make the movie 3D because when you have things that big, the thing that happens naturally is you’re looking at two buildings at 300 feet. If you move, the buildings don’t go like this (moves his hands closer together), there’s no parallax. They’re so big that you barely notice anything no matter how fast you’re moving, so to force the 3D effect on robots and monsters that are supposed to be that high, you’re making them miniaturized, you’re making them human-scale. I knew that the 3D effect sounded like a great idea, but it was gonna be counter.”
Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
They will play a regular (2D) version anyways, so nothing to be worried about. I'd be agitated if the converted version was the only version showing in theaters. So, nothing's lost. To be honest though, I'm neutral on the debate. I did see Titanic converted to 3D and it wasn't bad at all actually, but that film had more time for the conversion process anyway. The case with PacRim is that 3D will actually interfere with the scale of the film.
Yeah, the 2D version will share the smallest screen in the theater with another movie, and will only show like twice a day at 11:30am & 2pm Mon-Thurs only.

Last edited by Silverload; 09-13-2012 at 01:35 AM..
Old 09-13-2012, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
Yeah, the 2D version will share the smallest screen in the theater with another movie, and will only show like twice a day at 11:30am & 2pm Mon-Thurs only.
I have heard of plenty of scenarios of similar things happening, or certain theaters only offering a 3D viewing of the film. If a theater has to choose, are they going to offer a $12 or $17 version of the movie? I wish this fad would go away, studios try to revitalize 3D every other decade and ultimately, it adds nothing to the film.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Theatres wonder why there is a decline with movie goers. I get they want to maximize as much as possible for the "theatre experience", but everything in 3D is NOT the answer. For myself, It's like Blu-ray. Sure I have a Ps3 and can watch Blu-ray movies, but why would I buy a generic film on Blu-ray? Sure movies more focused with special effects makes sense, but as much as I love The Princess Bride, on blu-ray? Why? Does Disney REALLY need to 3D convert their movies now? Why do comedies need to be 3D? More importantly, when movies are made for 3D and the whole deliberate "throw objects in your face" happens, it's CHEESY!!

I can say that with all the 3D movies I have seen, 2 things come to mind as being well done.
1: Avatar - The VERY beginning where he is in the bed capsule thing. The depth of field and camera angle gave such a fantastic form of 3D that it stuck in my mind. After that I got nothin'
2: Transformers Dark of the Moon - Again, beginning with the Ark escaping Cybertron looked cool and then as you get close to Sentinel Prime's eye. Looked great...but again, aside from a moment with Starscream blowing up the Zanthium with the Autobots inside, the coming out of his eye into view part, looked nice...but like ALL 3D movies, they eventually just fall flat to me.

That's all that stuck out with maybe the dozen or so 3D movies I have seen. All in all, 3D doesn't improve my "theatre experience" in any possible way. Hell, my friends and I look for the non-3D viewings.

Pacific Rim has more than enough potential to be fantastic without the industries "help" for opting 3D.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 PM
When I see a movie in theater that is both 3D and 2D I always choose 2D (mainly this has been with the Marvel movies, Thor, Capt America and Avengers) but they have had these 2D versions in their largest screens.

If Pacific Rim is a massive movie as it appears, i would wager you can find good showtimes and theaters for the 2D

(I have only ever lives in major market areas, which could be a reason I have had these large screen luxuries.. I dont know how 3D films play out in smaller markets)
Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
When I see a movie in theater that is both 3D and 2D I always choose 2D (mainly this has been with the Marvel movies, Thor, Capt America and Avengers) but they have had these 2D versions in their largest screens.

If Pacific Rim is a massive movie as it appears, i would wager you can find good showtimes and theaters for the 2D

(I have only ever lives in major market areas, which could be a reason I have had these large screen luxuries.. I dont know how 3D films play out in smaller markets)
I generally do the same thing, and having lived in smaller markets (Youngstown has 560K in the metro while Boulder has <100K), I can say that it operates the same way. Generally, I've never had much of a problem finding decent 2D showtimes.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corran horn View Post
I generally do the same thing, and having lived in smaller markets (Youngstown has 560K in the metro while Boulder has <100K), I can say that it operates the same way. Generally, I've never had much of a problem finding decent 2D showtimes.
Same which is good for me because I am not a huge fan of 3D. The only problem I have is that GDT did not want this in 3D, however I read somewhere that in China a movie can only be released in 3D or IMAX, if it doesn't have a Chinese company involved so I guess from a money making standpoint it makes sense for Warner Bros.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Quick note: nothing to worry about- at all. Busy as heck (posting Pac Rim, launching Mama, designing Pinocchio, busy w Guardians and a looong etc - included a big surprise in a week or two) but will update soon. All is 100% well in Pac Rim.

Post is going perfect.

G
a big surprise huh! I hope it's Rim related
Old 09-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Quote:
a big surprise huh! I hope it's Rim related
Same haha
Old 09-25-2012, 12:00 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Guill...Rim-33116.html

Quote:
“What happened was, in the weeks and months following Comic-Con, what I asked from the studio was to agree to four points that I wanted to do. The more the ILM shots arrived, the more I realized that there were only a few shots that would miniaturize.

I asked the studio, number one, that we would not hyper-stereo-lize the thing. That we would not force 3D on the beauty shots. That we would keep the giant dimensions. They agreed. Number two, they agreed to something very unusual. Normally a conversion takes a few weeks. I asked to start it immediately so we could take the full 40 weeks to do the conversion. As an example, Titanic took about 50 weeks to convert.

The final thing that I asked that they agreed to, which was amazing, was that I asked them to give me an extra budget, which is considerable, to actually have ILM composite the shots that are CG native 3D. We're not giving elements. ILM is giving the composite in 3D from the get-go. That's a huge, huge element. Now I'm going to be involved in supervising it. What can I tell you? I changed my mind. I'm not running for office. I can do a Romney.”
Wasn't crazy about the news of converting the movie to 3D, but at least they're keeping Del Toro happy. I'm not a fan of 3D, so I'll just see it in 2D, hopefully my theater will have that option.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 PM
GDT speaks

Quote:
So yeah-

On to talk a moment about 3D- sorry about not being free before but now you know we were busy getting The Strain negotiations finished. More about that as soon as I can.

As I said, 5 things happened after Comicon that made me change my mind.

1) The more ILM shots we saw the more I realized that only a handful "beauty" shots of Jaeger vs Kaiju would "miniaturize" the rest of the movie (live action and CG) was staged with a roaming camera and we had enough foreground, mid-ground stuff that would allow for a conversion.

2) I had requested a very lofty -and expensive approach if converted- I wanted to take time. And time is money. I asked for almost 3 times the amount people normally allocate a few weeks. We are about 40 weeks away from opening. I wanted to be able to supervise each shot with enough time to polish (Titanic took around 50 weeks) Legendary and WB agreed.

3) I requested that a big sum was given so that ILM could composite their own shots "native" rather than the usual approach of handing "elements" to the 3D conversion house. This represents a huge increase in quality and cost but you are guaranteeing that the most complex CGI are "native" 3D. It was agreed upon.

4) I tortured the 3D house Stereo D (most Marvel movies, Titanic, etc) to do not one or two tests but to actually test several of the most difficult images to convert. For Weeks we debated each of those shots and I implicated John Knoll from ILM in discussing what to look for. And frankly, the tests were great!!

5) It was agreed that the 3D conversion would never look to be flashy or gratuitous (some people really "push" conversion so 3D gets exaggerated to the point of miniaturization. I was clear before hand that the "beauty" shots that I would earmarked would not get fake "3D-eized". This is normal even in native productions- usually with establishing shots eg: the wide views of Pandora ini AVATAR. This control was fully given to me.

So, after all of this, I decided to give it a full go. I will be overlooking the process and making sure everything is optimal. This complicates my delivery and makes it tighter but it will be worthy. For those of you that nevertheless want to see the film in 2D, there will be that version theatrically too.

Now back to work.

GDT
and

Quote:
I finished PAC RIM way under budget and under schedule. As of this writing I am WEEKS ahead on my delivery to ILM- so, all I needed was to get Legendary WB to authorize us HOW to spend the money we had for post (vis a vis the 3D conversion, which was not originally contemplated) but that doesn't immediately translate into HB III or ATMOM. Studios calculate investments (specially in sequels) based on the grosses of each installment. Both HB and HB II were profitable to the studios but that was back in the day when DVD / home video was exceedingly rentable. Now the numbers become more conservative. PAC RIM is a big concept film that has a very clear universe and stakes. The Hellboys have always been tricky to market and many merchandising deals have even fallen through based in the title alone. The third part is also the one that requires the biggest budget because HB has to become the Beast and thus bring the end of the world to fruition. Not a cheap scenario.

Financing is always more complicated (and mysterious) than it seems from the outside.

Best

GDT
Old 10-11-2012, 05:15 PM
We got ourselves a promo poster as well as some tidbits of information. I really like the old school look of this poster.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-posters/pacific-rim-03
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pacific-rim-victory-poster.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	10764  
Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Gosh, I will take 10 sec. of footage at this point. I really want to see this fucker..Hell, I really would just like to see ANY of it. Big robots fighting in the big city. The 5 year old me is stoked, but not as stoked as 25 year old me will be in the theatre.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynMONROBOT View Post
Gosh, I will take 10 sec. of footage at this point. I really want to see this fucker..Hell, I really would just like to see ANY of it. Big robots fighting in the big city. The 5 year old me is stoked, but not as stoked as 25 year old me will be in the theatre.
Apparently we are supposed to get a trailer with The Hobbit, and yeah I can't fucking wait either.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Apparently we are supposed to get a trailer with The Hobbit, and yeah I can't fucking wait either.
HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE. So, you're telling me that there is a chance; a real live four- dimensional chance; that on December 14th, 2012 I will be seeing the first part of The Hobbit..trilogy(is that what we call this thing now?) most likely in 48fps and on a glorious IMAX screen- but before that shit even starts I will see the first 9 minutes of Stark Trek: ITD, which is already enough to make me pretty thirsty (if you catch my drift, giggity) but either before or after that almost certainly glorious 9 minutes, I will see what Guillermo thinks giant fucking robots would look like beating the dog piss out of each other in a big futuristic city?! I'm totally content with my 2012 year in movie watching if I cap the year off like that. BAM. If this is old news forgive me, sometimes I sleep on shit I am supposed to really be excited for apparently haha

Last edited by marilynMONROBOT; 11-16-2012 at 10:23 PM..
Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynMONROBOT View Post
HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE. So, you're telling me that there is a chance; a real live four- dimensional chance; that on December 14th, 2012 I will be seeing the first part of The Hobbit..trilogy(is that what we call this thing now?) most likely in 48fps and on a glorious IMAX screen- but before that shit even starts I will see the first 9 minutes of Stark Trek: ITD, which is already enough to make me pretty thirsty (if you catch my drift, giggity) but either before or after that almost certainly glorious 9 minutes, I will see what Guillermo thinks giant fucking robots would look like beating the dog piss out of each other in a big futuristic city?! I'm totally content with my 2012 year in movie watching if I cap the year off like that. BAM. If this is old news forgive me, sometimes I sleep on shit I am supposed to really be excited for apparently haha
Haha no big deal I don't think its exactly official yet, but from what I have read and then from some interviews from Del Toro and some comments he made on his site it sounds like it will be with the Hobbit.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:09 AM
Well it makes for a pretty epic theatre trip I'd say, Im amped haha Honestly while we are getting some of the shit we have been wanting this holiday season, maybe someone will toss a fucking bone with some Godzilla footage??
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Pacific Rim website, looks like it has a countdown to the trailer as well as some other little things.

http://www.panpacificdefense.com/

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/guil...-psa-anda-memo

Last edited by ThunderStorm; 11-28-2012 at 11:34 AM..
Old 11-28-2012, 06:44 PM
A question to all...

Could 'Pacific Rim' be director Guillermo del Toro's version of the Anime know as 'Evangelion'?

here is the plot:

When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, start rising from the sea, a war begins that takes millions of lives and consumes humanity's resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon is devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers prove nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes - a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi) - who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	What is this.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	11015   Click image for larger version

Name:	the kaiju's head.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	11016  

Last edited by Ruly2; 11-28-2012 at 07:12 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Awesome fucking video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS6kk...layer_embedded
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM

That video gave me chills. I must see this movie NOW!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM
New picture of the blueprints of the Jaeger as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jaeger_625.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	11022  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Quote:
This is 2007 level of excitement for me when Cloverfield was using virals like that. Plus the subject matter's closely related anyway.

The script slightly changed (I think for the better, at least from the sound of it) since the draft I read almost a year ago. I only hope the Lima attack, early on is still intact - on the page that blew my mind, it was so horrifying.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM
The Russian Jaeger “Cherno Alpha” (update)

Quote:
New picture of the blueprints of the Jaeger as well.
Here is yet another Blueprint this time for the Russian Jaeger known as "Cherno Alpha"

(update)

Here are two more blueprints:

Australian Jaeger "Striker Eureka" and the Japanese "Coyote Tango"

(update 2)

Here is the Fifth robot: China's "CRIMSON TYPHOON"

(update 3)

Here are all the Jaegers so far (list found on deltorofilms.com)

At this point:
GYPSY DANGER - american - Mark III
CHERNO ALPHA - russian - Mark IV
CRIMSON TYPHOON - chinese - Mark ?
STRIKER EUREKA - anzac - Mark V
TACIT RONIN - south america/chile - Mark II (maybe... second hand Jaeger?)
DIABLO INTERCEPT - south america/chile - Mark II
COYOTE TANGO - japanese - Mark I (so it seems... blurry picture)

http://www.deltorofilms.com/wp/forum...rt=1550#p14239
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pacific_  Rim_Movie_Russian_Jaeger.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	11025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific_Rim_Movie_Striker_Eureka_Australian_Jaeg.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	11026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific_Rim_Movie_Coyote_Tango_Japanese_Jaeger.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	11027   Click image for larger version

Name:	crimson_pacific.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	11030  

Last edited by Ruly2; 11-29-2012 at 09:28 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Quote:
This is 2007 level of excitement for me when Cloverfield was using virals like that. Plus the subject matter's closely related anyway.

The script slightly changed (I think for the better, at least from the sound of it) since the draft I read almost a year ago. I only hope the Lima attack, early on is still intact - on the page that blew my mind, it was so horrifying.
Same, I only read the first script but from just that and this video I like the way they treat the attacks as something horrifying.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Countdown on the official website ends tomorrow at 7 pm EST, hopefully a trailer?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruly2 View Post
Could 'Pacific Rim' be director Guillermo del Toro's version of the Anime know as 'Evangelion'?
[/i]
This is kind of what I am hoping for. I was a huge fan of the series and still need to watch the new ones. Friends say it's amazing. That aside, once I told my brother that Pacific Rim is Giant Robot Mech neurally linked fighting monsters, he thought of Eva's too and like the rest of us, CANNOT WAIT!!

9hrs till trailer countdown...or hopefully something amazing.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:05 PM
DAMN ! i feel dumb now .....

imo Pacific Rim was a shitty WWII movie with japanese plane going BANZAI !!! on american ships lol
Old 12-12-2012, 07:01 PM
New image of PACIFIC RIM JAEGER “GIPSY DANGER”

A new Jaeger image arrives courtesy of Hero Complex as this comes Just a little less than an hour until the trailer countdown expires.
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/...-gipsy-danger/

(update; 7pm)

The trailer will be live in 8min !!

http://www.pacificrimmovie.net/trailer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gipsydanger.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	11067  

Last edited by Ruly2; 12-12-2012 at 07:09 PM..
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Trailer - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2sD