Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 AM
Whatever happened to Saturday morning cartoons

I am watching Garfield and friends on Netflix and it made me remember how I would always look forward to Saturday morning to watch the cartoons that were on. This and the Muppet Babies were my two favorite cartoons to watch. remember how cool the imagination they had was? they would be in a box then it would turn into a spaceship haha I also liked how they always showed their babysitter from the waste down. what the heck do kids do nowadays?

what were some of your favorite Saturday morning cartoons?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM
You are not alone. I miss older cartoon programming so much. Waking up on Saturday mornings used to be special. And what about coming home from school? The first thing you want to do is watch cartoons. From 1999 to 2003, WB17 ruled. "Batman," "Superman," "Animaniacs," "Pinky and The Brain." I remember cartoons of that era more clearly, but "The New Adventures of Winnie The Pooh" on Saturday mornings in the early `90's does strike an equally powerful chord. I have "Batman/Superman/Animaniacs," as well as "Garfield and Friends," on DVD. That show is so great. Returning home from work to watch cartoons is similar to coming home from school. If it's a job where you "have to go to work...", and not a career where you "Get to go to work!," you want nothing more than to relax afterwards. I'm currently re-watching "Superman: The Animated Series" after work this month, especially since its Christmas and such a nostalgic time of the year.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 PM
When there are entire channels dedicated to cartoons, major networks have no need to broadcast them.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM
some cartoons you can still find on Saturday mornings but it's not like it used to be. I think kids nowadays just do different things. do kids still do things like build clubhouses? times have changed and I'm not sure if it's for the better. kids have no idea what they're missing out on.

maybe I'm just bitter because all I had was a Nintendo and nothing like the video games that are out on but I really think they helped change the culture. now on Saturdays instead of watching cartoons most kids wake up and play video games.

technology is turning us into selfish self-absorbed individuals
Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 PM
In Australia we still have cartoons on Saturdays mornings
Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Kids are too busy with their Saturday-morning hangovers to deal with cartoons.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:35 AM
I think CW still plays cartoons on Saturday morning don't they? It's been a while but I coulda swore I saw Yugioh and DBZ on in the morning on CW.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:18 AM
Some time back I was looking up on Saturday Morning Supercade and came across this website:

http://www.tvparty.com/sat.html

You might get a kick out of the site, although it's a mess in terms of organization. I think it was that site where I'd read that trends against advertisement in cartoons was a large factor in the decline of the Saturday Morning lineup in the late-80s. I'd read somewhere else that college football had also started airing toward the end of the "golden age" of Saturday morning cartoons.

As jolanar also points out, I think there is currently a resurgence of programing on during Saturday morning. It's still not a prolific as it was from the 60s-80s. I don't get that same feeling where all the networks are competing with their cartoon lineups, like it was back then.

You should get a kick out of this silentasylum: we use a streaming media box in our home and I made a "Super Saturday Morning Playlist" for our kids to watch when they get up before us, which is usual for Saturday mornings (although I'm getting home from work a bit later in the morning...) It's a "smart playlist" based on shows not recently watched. It's a mix of old and new shows that I know our kids like, and among them: Pee-Wee's Playhouse, Transformers G1, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Spongebob, many more, but yes - also Muppet Babies.

As for my favorites from the time, I really remember the above-mentioned Saturday Morning Supercade, Snorks, Smurfs... there was a game show I used to watch based around arcade games. A bit later on I remembered watching Pee-Wee and then Hey Vern, It's Ernest!. Earlier in my time, there was the Superfriends Hour (which I also have on the playlist for my kids). At some point, even earlier, I remember the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show being a pretty regular occurrence.

Okay, okay, I went to the site I posted above and had a total recall moment - Godzilla, Dugeons and Dragons, Mr. T's Show, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Kidd Video (live action), The Amazing Spiderman, The Littles, ...

I'm drowning in nostalgia and could go on forever with these shows I remember. I had a lot of favorites.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:31 AM
On Saturday morning we have Disney. cartoons. and even during the week there is plenty to chose from you can also download cartoons on YouTube
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Disney!? Youtube!? Eghads! Speak no more of these abominations, lest ye be but a charlatan!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:34 AM
They think kids should be more enriched with finer, higher quality programming.
Like the morning news and infomercials for workout machines for busy MILFs.

You know, building kids minds.
That's SO much better.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Not to sound like a grouch, but kids' cartoons today are awful.

I've sometimes caught bits of shows like Ben 10 or the Magic Godfathers or whatever they're called, and I'm surprised how crap these shows have become. Every character spouts off rapid-fire dialogue like they're yelling at someone else, they always sound out of breath, everything is too flashy and the camera never stops moving.

Cartoons today are made for kids with short attention spans, or for ADD sufferers. I think that's the main problem; it all has to be flashy and hyperactive because that's how kids are raised nowadays. I sound like such an old fart.

WB shows like Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid, and even Tiny Toons were awesome: humour that could be enjoyed by both kids and adults, even today.

Other shows I enjoyed:
- Swat Kats. For me, the first "real" action cartoon where action sequences didn't just involve tossing someone into a pile of cardboard boxes - see Ninja Turtles.
- Thundercats. The original, not the hipster remake where Lion-O is a brat and Snarf can't talk.
- Silverhawks. Sure, it's Thundercats in space, but the rogues gallery in this show was as varied as Batman's.
- Batman: TAS. I seriously have to get off my ass and watch this show again. The most mature kids' show you'll ever see.
- The Real Ghostbusters. Just awesome. I remember one episode where they find a shrivelled, imp-like genie that grants wishes, and he turns out to be a hulking demon - that scared the shit out of me as a kid.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:02 PM
yeah I agree. I also used to like tiny toons, smurfs, and the real ghostbusters and remember that show C.O.P.S.?

I think that's why my nieces watch shows like ant farm, icarly, and jessie(all pretty good shows by the way haha) when they should be watching cartoons. are these shows easier to produce? it seems like cartoons nowadays end for kids when they hit 5.

television in general I think can give a person ADD because of the commercials and because shows are typically only a half hour long.

that would be a good plot for the next who framed roger rabbit movie. are cartoons becoming obsolete?
Old 12-15-2012, 06:16 AM
Cartoons, obsolete, not if someone gave me a blank check, I've got something working right now that can change all that one day. It'll come

me I never really had cable in my house so it was always what fox had, my favorites were Digimon which I still admire a little for having an ongoing story, it was episodic drama before I knew what that way. The magic school bus would be the other.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 AM
Shutout to Fox Saturday morning cartoons, The Tick, Eek the Cat and the whole Marvel run in the 90's, Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men, and Iron Man & FF which had Stan Lee intro every week! That started at like 6 or 7 am, I never got up that early on school days but I did on Saturday!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM22 View Post
Not to sound like a grouch, but kids' cartoons today are awful.
That's what everybody says who outgrows watching cartoons. Kids who grew up in the eighties swear that Transformers, He-Man, GI.Joe and all those other toybased cartoons are the best ever. Slightly older kids will say everything after Animaniacs and Tiny Toons sucks balls. If you didn't watch cartoons in the late nineties you HATED everything from Japan that was based on a collectible card game. Fuck Pikachu. But hey some people will say that was the golden age of cartoons. I read here that there was good programming as late as 2003, when people were already saying for over a decade that "today's" cartoons suck. And in ten years from now people will say how awesome the lineup from 2010-2013 was.

Even worse when people complain that kids do different things than waste their time in front of the TV like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentasylum View Post
I think kids nowadays just do different things. do kids still do things like build clubhouses? times have changed and I'm not sure if it's for the better.
Holey shit dude, you know what MY parents used to say when I spent a sunny day in the house because I had to watch all those magnificent TV shows of yesteryear? They said "Why the fuck are you in the house watching TV with this weather, when I was your age I was playing outside, building clubhouses. Times sure have changed.".

Anyway, enough ranting. I'm a thirtysomething so I'm off to bed to watch some Phineas & Ferb, Spongebob, maybe a little Adventure Time but definitely end with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to masturbate on so I'll fall asleep. Night Night.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 AM
if you are in your 30s that means you grew up in the 80's. what kind of an 80's kid were you? our video games sucked. you must of been a lazy fat kid haha