Old 04-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Yes, kind of how punk rock music died at the end of the 80's. That's what horror movies are doing with shitty sequels and remakes.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 PM
It isn't dying, it's evolving. We're currently in a creative rut. The only thing going around these days is: ghost/paranormal shit, vampires, and reboots/remakes. What I've noticed is that a lot of the controversial ones are coming from Asia or Europe, and occasionally we get a good horror movie every few years or so that just becomes forgotten or gets shitted on with a direct-to-dvd sequel (The Descent 2). I'm honestly looking forward to Cabin in the Woods. I've heard only good things about it, so I'm hoping after years in production hell it'll finally see the light of day.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
and occasionally we get a good horror movie every few years or so that just becomes forgotten or gets shitted on with a direct-to-dvd sequel (The Descent 2).
occasionally and every few years? that's not evolving, that's dieing.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
The forums will never recover from this dry spell. The Internet has changed. Ten years ago, the web wasn't as saturated with these types of websites. Plus, the "regulars" from way back when have already talked about everything there is to talk about. These days, I mainly watch obscure stuff that I can't discuss with most fans because they haven't seen it.

Is the horror genre dying? No, but I can't stand most new releases. The older I get, the more I see the horror genre cannibalizing itself. There have always been remakes and cheap cash-ins (even dating as far back as the 20's), but the good/bad ratio is dangerously uneven right now.
This is true. When I was younger, I was on here all the time discussing horror, mainly the Halloween films. Even the Halloween message board seems to have died down a lot. When you learn pretty much everything about the series, there is only so much to talk about.

As you mentioned, there are many websites that are similar to Joblo now. I remember creating a website on Geocities, long time ago, and everyone thought it was great because the web was still new to people.

People have gotten older, and expect different things. The younger crowd is so entrenched in technology that they have different expectations than we do.

The horror genre has always had dry spells. Every genre does, then a movie comes out to push the genre again. There was a time there when comedy was doing poorly, and then Judd Apatow films started making money, and comedy is in. Horror will rebound.

I am surprised that a film like Scream 4 did not perform better. But, it has been a while since the last one, and it really did not bring anything new to the table. I enjoyed the film, but can point out issues. I remember when the first one came out, horror was in a drought with very few hits then, and next thing you know, horror films were coming out left and right.

Horror remakes hit big a few years ago, and everything we loved was being remade for today's audience. Now, remakes have slowed down.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 PM
People aren't expecting different things they just have expectations.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe1985 View Post
This is true. When I was younger, I was on here all the time discussing horror, mainly the Halloween films. Even the Halloween message board seems to have died down a lot. When you learn pretty much everything about the series, there is only so much to talk about.

As you mentioned, there are many websites that are similar to Joblo now. I remember creating a website on Geocities, long time ago, and everyone thought it was great because the web was still new to people.

People have gotten older, and expect different things. The younger crowd is so entrenched in technology that they have different expectations than we do.

The horror genre has always had dry spells. Every genre does, then a movie comes out to push the genre again. There was a time there when comedy was doing poorly, and then Judd Apatow films started making money, and comedy is in. Horror will rebound.

I am surprised that a film like Scream 4 did not perform better. But, it has been a while since the last one, and it really did not bring anything new to the table. I enjoyed the film, but can point out issues. I remember when the first one came out, horror was in a drought with very few hits then, and next thing you know, horror films were coming out left and right.

Horror remakes hit big a few years ago, and everything we loved was being remade for today's audience. Now, remakes have slowed down.
I think young people tend to come out and see horror in droves, while there aren't nearly so many dedicated fans beyond the age of, say, 27. So when a film like Scream 4 comes out and Nev Campbell is the lead role, she just seems a bit old to carry THAT kind of horror movie--namely the slasher. That's a youth's game. Maybe it would've worked if they'd made her niece (?) the star. I don't know. But Courtney Cox and her paralyzed face didn't help much either.

You know there was a time I thought Wes Craven was a really good horror director, at the very least on a technical level. I must have based that off Scream. Having seen a greater backlog of his films from before Scream and after Scream, I have to say the guy might be pretty bad at his craft.

But guys who made horror popular, like Craven and John Carpenter, don't seem to exist anymore. I doubt in today's Hollywood you would see stuff like the original Halloween or Assault on Precinct 13 being risked. Then again, those were independent films weren't they? Seems like independent film makers just aren't interested in the genre anymore.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Every so often some smuck will come out with the notion that the dark genre is dying, say what, have you seen the number of movies/books/comics being pumped out World wide currently? If anything horror has never been healthy than it is at the moment.

I think North Americans get depressed due to the general amount of dribble released by a formulaic Boredwood each year, who want's to see another teen orientated slasher for example. However each year there are some interesting movies being made by the Indies, the International industries are pumping out some pretty solid and different releases, and film schools around the globe are training new movie makers who have an eye on dark genre releases.

If you delve into the genre through the past 100 years or so you'll notice it's cyclical, there's lows and highs.

Current trends I think that have had their day, Boredwood is yet to cotton on

1. Found footage flicks, they are starting to get boring, actually fell asleep during PA 4, though did surprisingly enjoy The Devil Inside.

2. Vampire paranormal romance schlock, come on Twilight might have been a box office juggernaut but everything else has flopped badly, including that one about a chick who falls in love with a zombie, I mean really? - that was a bad joke to begin with.

3. Teen lite horror, anyone else noticing ticket sales are dropping off.

Currently having a bit of a j-horror thing, going beyond Ring and Ju-On, those dudes can certainly throw together a nasty concept when they put their minds to it!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:02 PM
It will never DIE!!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
The forums will never recover from this dry spell. The Internet has changed. Ten years ago, the web wasn't as saturated with these types of websites. Plus, the "regulars" from way back when have already talked about everything there is to talk about. These days, I mainly watch obscure stuff that I can't discuss with most fans because they haven't seen it.

Is the horror genre dying? No, but I can't stand most new releases. The older I get, the more I see the horror genre cannibalizing itself. There have always been remakes and cheap cash-ins (even dating as far back as the 20's), but the good/bad ratio is dangerously uneven right now.
This sums it up pretty well.

The genre's not dying, not in the least bit; Paranormal Activity Series, Saw franchise, all the classic remakes...people still LOVE horror, but it's just not credited as much anymore. You don't really hear of a horror movie winning an award or being number one at the box-office, but it's certainly not dying.

Most of the movie forums that are up-and-running well, with lots of members and discussions, are forums linked to horror sites; Bloody-Disgusting, Official Halloween Message Board (OHMB), Dread Central, Shock Till You Drop, Up Coming Horror Movies, etc...those are ALL very active message boards. More-so than any regular movie forum...besides this one, of course.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:15 AM
The best horror is currently on television. The Walking Dead and Supernatural both fucking rock. Admittedly, Supernatural isn't as awesome as it use to be, but that's because the show has been on for 8 seasons. Of course the quality of the show isn't going to be what use to be when it's been on for that long. And while it may not be as good as it use to be, it's still a rock solid show IMO.

Haven't seen American Horror Story yet, but I hear good things. So again, television is where it's at for horror.

True Blood and Vampire Diaries are so-so though and they are only a minor step up from Twilight as far as vampires concerns. Unfortunately, Twilight fucking ruined vampires. Vampires use to be cool. They use to be scary. Then Twilight came and fucked that up. I did love Daybreakers though. That movie was awesome.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
The best horror is currently on television. The Walking Dead and Supernatural both fucking rock. Admittedly, Supernatural isn't as awesome as it use to be, but that's because the show has been on for 8 seasons. Of course the quality of the show isn't going to be what use to be when it's been on for that long. And while it may not be as good as it use to be, it's still a rock solid show IMO.

Haven't seen American Horror Story yet, but I hear good things. So again, television is where it's at for horror.

True Blood and Vampire Diaries
Besides The Walking Dead, you forgot to mention the best one. DEXTER.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:39 AM
I've only seen a couple of episodes of Dexter I'm afraid. I started watching the first season when it was available to stream instantly on netflix, but then they took it away. I do intend to pick it back up eventually. And I did like the first couple of episodes a lot.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:10 AM
You haven't seen anything yet, man. lol

If you like The Walking Dead, then you're going to LOVE Dexter. Twists and turns in nearly every episode. Michael C. Hall's amazing (Emmy-winning) performance as Dexter. And the characterized co-stars...

You need to go to your local video store and rent them. You won't be disappointed.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Shape View Post

You need to go to your local video store and rent them. You won't be disappointed.
Sadly, those don't exist anymore.

And Michael C. Hall has never won an emmy. He's been nominated a bunch of times, but has never won.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Truly good Horror is in the same exact place where classic, straight ahead rock & roll went with the advent and domination of alternative/grunge in the 90's and early 00's: Underground and overseas. Do I believe it will resurface in much the same way that classic rock kinda has? Not sure. But there seems to be flecks of good stuff here and there getting more attention. I honestly can't predict. My fear is that PG-13 horror will be a default setting for most directors. My hope is that there will be more NC-17 original and interesting films with balls(i.e. Killer Joe).

I'd honestly like to thank MisoGenie for starting this thread because there's a few films that slipped through my cracks or that I wasn't aware of listed here that I will be checking out.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
Great to see some optimism, Dellamore! I've seen quite a few of those films and agree that there are quite a few decent Horror films to have been released in the last decade. Out of curiosity, what did you think of The Grudge 3, since you claim to have enjoyed all of them? I haven't seen that one, but I enjoyed the first two.

Also, when speaking of the Pang Brothers, you must never leave out their great Re-Cycle. I adore that work of Art.
Holy delayed reaction, that's how these forums are now, it takes people months to respond .

I remember not too long ago how active the Jblo horror forums were and how fast someone would respond to a post , minutes, not months and years .

Around the time of Shaun of the Dead's release it was at it's high point and even into 2006 there was still some life in here but it went downhill from there.

I'm not going to lament that just had to say it again because this is still one of my favorite places to talk horror even if it's a frustrating experience now because of the low participation level.

There's something about discussion forums ( this one in particular ) that always seemed so organic to me and somewhat intimate .

Other distractions have come into being but the Jblo horror forums will always be my first love and it's up to us to keep it from becoming a mausoleum, to nurture it like in the past .

Anyway, to answer your question, i never had the chance to see Grudge 3 but i will have to check it out one of these times and i still haven't seen Re-Cycle but i
i've read great things about it .

Latest horror films that impressed me were VHS and Rec 3 . VHS may have been slightly hyped beyond reason but it was an excellent film that never bored me, love to see what they do with the sequel .REC 3 is a departure for the series but it was excellent and it featured some world class makeup and gore fx. Not as good as REC 2 but a worthy addition to the series and well worth your time.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Sadly, those don't exist anymore.

And Michael C. Hall has never won an emmy. He's been nominated a bunch of times, but has never won.
I'm still mourning the loss of Suncoast Video, they always had one of the best horror sections of anyone else , the movies that nobody else would carry
Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 PM
^Those were the days.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Film in general is pretty much dying, it's not just horror.

Hopefully the industry can figure out what this whole 'internet' thing is and take advantage of it, instead of railing against it. Until that happens, there's really no hope of a revival of film or horror.

14 year-olds love found footage. If you hate found footage like I do, then you now understand what it would have been like to have been a horror fan in the 80s if you hated slasher films.

It's nice to think that perhaps someone like Ti West will make it big, and bring in a new wave of horror, but really Hollywood is so cynical in it's approach to milking trends right now that Ti West making it big would basically just mean that we go inundated with copycat films that destroyed whatever he was building.

But it's not just horror, this is happening in every genre.

TV is really where it's at right now as we're seeing more great character driven series' coming out as their relatively cheap to make compared to movies.

Last edited by IGS; 12-16-2012 at 02:37 PM..
Old 05-29-2013, 04:36 AM
I don't think it's dying, but it's definitely changing...or maybe we're just changing ourselves. I know that it's harder and harder to scare me as I get older because I've seen so much over the years.

But there's still a lot of good movies out there--it just seems like you have to look harder.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:03 AM
That is a good point about maybe we are changing .

I always loved horror but finding an outlet to discuss the genre with such a diverse and enthusiastic group of like minded people via a message board like Joblo renewed my appreciation for the genre and brought it to another level .

That was back in 2002 and there wasn't a day that went by when i wasn't posting something horror related on these boards . I'm pretty sure i had a Nicheflix ( now defunct ) account around that time so i was watching whatever horror movie i could and giving my thoughts on them .

It was a second golden age of sorts concerning horror partially fueled by how active these forums once were , it enhanced the experience on some level .

Just saying all that because horror for me is so much more enjoyable when it's interactive whereby you can see a great film and then discuss it with others .

There are other places to do this now like YT but most of the people on there aren't as fervent in comparison to the horror forum members on Joblo circa 2002-2006 .

There are some great reviewers in YT that are real diehards and that's the main place i go to discuss horror now but it will never compare to that brief moment in time when this site was at it's peak .

Yeah there ares still loads of other forums out there right now that are excellent concerning enthusiastic horror fans ( i think avmaniacs is one of the best now and of course BD is an old standby ) but not a patch to what this place was at one time .

Maybe i am getting old or already am old, i'm at a point where i love watching people video review horror movies and then commenting on them than actually watching horror movies anymore , although i am impressed with the many of the current films and how some of these ingenuous filmmakers are crafting great horror films with relatively non existent budgets ( James Wan is a master at this along with Peli and company ) .

This new generation of film makers have learned from the past and are so efficient now with a clear and concise vision, i love where the genre is going .

Horror at one time was a sort of bottom of the barrel aspiration but the genre is attracting immensely talented individuals behind and in front of the camera .

So no, the horror genre definitely isn't dying, not even close but how i enjoy it and how i share that enjoyment with others has .

I seriously can't wait for The Conjuring, that looks genuinely creepy, a pure throwback to a 70s haunted house movie ( maybe that's why it's set in the 70's, if i remember correctly ).

Oh right and if Cockneys vs Zombies ( still yet to see that one ) doesn't look hilarious then there is no such thing as a horror comedy anymore
Old 06-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Horror always makes a comeback, but typically in a different fashion than was popular during its former run. It's always existent, but most of the time its either very hot or its just a splotch of horror goodness here and there (or badness in several cases). When I first joined the forums horror was on the decline after its strong 90's slasher/early 00's run. IMO other than the horror remake craze it still hasnt made much of a splash as far as a return to form goes.

It will be back in spades in time though. Current horror is somewhat different than what we're used to from decades past - but some of that neat stuff still emerges from time to time.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 AM
I donít think its dying as such, more its stagnated.

There is nothing new coming out of the horror world and the audience is now looking for a sense of realism in films they go to see.

All we seem to get from the horror world are remakes and it doesnít bring an interest to a lot of people.

I feel itís changed so much from when I grew up where horrors like Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th and IT caught the imagination and scared the hell out of people. Now people laugh at these type of films and think there stupid.

Times have evolved where people want to see something that could really affect them on a daily basis. Films Paranormal Activity do well because they tend to bring to an audience something that they say out loud that they donít believe in, but they read stories in the newspaper or see something on the TV that gives them the element of doubt whether the myths of ghosts really are fake or real.

The same goes for the Zombie genre, films like 28 days later, World War Z and Dawn of the dead I always thought would do quite well because this is an infection that people think could not be a million miles away from happening so it scares the hell out of people to think that they could be trapped in a world full of cannibals!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Nah

I don't think any genre of anything ever dies, except maybe disco. Horror isn't dying, it's merely evolving. The things in horror films which used to scare us seem silly to us now, because we've grown accustomed to it. Because of this, horror filmmakers experiment with different ideas. Some of them work. Some of them fail miserably. And every once in awhile someone comes along with something unique, and scares us once again. Though, the main problem isn't a lack of good horror filmmakers, it's the studios which will only distribute eye candy for the masses.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:28 PM
not dying but certainly not on the rise, we got some couple of good horror movies in the last 3 years, but for me the horror genre was at it's best during the 80s.