#201  
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM
The whole idea of teachers carrying firearms is insane. Seriously, there's a madman with a gun in your school and now instead of one person shooting and harming others, we'd have teachers shooting as well? Nothing like a firefight between 2nd period and lunch.

How's about this - If you're not a law enforcement officer or military personelle, you don't get to have anything other than a rifle or bow for hunting, and ONLY if you're mentally tested before getting your firearms license.
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Haha yeah, it's like he has ignored half of your posts.

Yea because he is the only one ignoring posts/facts in this thread (>_<)
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourahioro View Post
How's about this - If you're not a law enforcement officer or military personelle, you don't get to have anything other than a rifle or bow for hunting, and ONLY if you're mentally tested before getting your firearms license.
So only sociopaths(not only criminals but the people who seek positions of power to force their will onto non-violent offenders of arbitrary laws) will have guns. That's just what happened in every other tyrannical structure. I know the propaganda out there is thick-- but geez, how people can suggest this asinine horror never ceases to amaze me.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 12-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanIdaho View Post
Yea because he is the only one ignoring posts/facts in this thread (>_<)
Did you watch the Australian video I posted? Or do you just enjoy being a bootlicking supplicant(that's not an insult, THAT is a fact) of the stasi(state)?

I had no idea there were so many people(bootlicking supplicants) who still thought this way. And I hate to keep bringing up propaganda, since we now have the internet and people can do their own research. But for fuck sake, has the internet just made people MORE lazy? I'm starting to wonder.
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 12-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
So only sociopaths(not only criminals but the people who seek positions of power to force their will onto non-violent offenders of arbitrary laws) will have guns. That's just what happened in every other tyrannical structure. I know the propaganda out there is thick-- but geez, how people can suggest this asinine horror never ceases to amaze me.
Just like Hey Man, he's insulting your idea; he's not insulting you as a person, so you can't be offended. He didn't call you asinine directly!
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 12-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 12-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Captain Picard!
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 12-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Okay l am going to be posting soon some more informtion about gun laws in aus so l just want to say we have members who are for gun laws and some who are,against change so so of cause there is debate on both sides let's just be careful on what we say or this thread will be closed l am interested what will happen if laws are passed and now Obama has started a panel about this very thing l feel as if we are going to have a lot to discuss in coming weeks
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 12-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Scott Scanlon: Never Forget
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 12-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourahioro View Post
The whole idea of teachers carrying firearms is insane. Seriously, there's a madman with a gun in your school and now instead of one person shooting and harming others, we'd have teachers shooting as well? Nothing like a firefight between 2nd period and lunch.

How's about this - If you're not a law enforcement officer or military personelle, you don't get to have anything other than a rifle or bow for hunting, and ONLY if you're mentally tested before getting your firearms license.
Yes l certainly agree that teachers carrying guns is wrong
if that idea came a head l would wonder where society is going

I also agree with you saying that police and military should be only having acess to weapons too

Also if they want to outlaw assault weapons they should get rid of hand guns and any type of gun you dont just stop at one type of weapon you go the whole hog
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM
http://guncontrol.org.au/1998/07/gun-buy-back/

Gun buy back through Australia gun control

There was a thing called a Gun amnestry where people brought there guns in to be crushed Primeminster howard started this a few years back because of the Hoddle streey massscare in melbourne and the Port Aurther Masscare in Tasmania it was the masscare which Primemister howard decided to make a stand

Poeple were inticed with money to get rid of there weapons and l have to say alot of people brought guns in not just a few

We were saddened on waht happened in Tasmania and everyone joined in there efforts to go into the buy back sceme maybe obama should maybe do this and talk to Australia about waht we did




http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1...ee-on-gun-laws

This is Australias veiw on what happened in America and both sides of out parliment think America has to do something

I think you should read this and also there is a clip to go with this

Australia was widely effected on what has happened and maybe they same as America some people are against gun control in Austrslia but it is our goverment that make the rules not a gun lobby group or anyone does not have the right to make there own laws regarding guns

During our amnestry country areas who are known to have guns also put there guns into the police the amnestry went for 3 mths and l have to say it is only recently we have had a spat of firearms being fired in Sydeny but police have started up a task force to get on top of this you are not going to stop every gun coming into my country but doing something about it to stop what is going on is a must

You see in Sydeny there is a wide cultral groups who fight each other and we have only had that problem in the past couple of years so and it is getting worse and in recent times we had to stop diffrent groups for causing trouble

or you have diffrent multicultral groups who fight and hate each other and the goverment and police have to show these poeple it is not right to do this if you live in Australia

Anyway l am still looking for imformation on gun control and one area is all polittions are against guns in Australia as you will see from the clip

One member here on this thread asked me a couple of qestions and l am trying to find that imformation today

I am finding this thread very interesting and isnt it amazing how l started this thread and how far it has come now maybe we will see diffrent laws in America we never know ldo we

I have to say again l am not racist l am only saying about diffrent things that go on in my country Australia






http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinio...861484114.html

Here is some more imformation on what Primeminster Howard did to make Australia a safer place and also his reforms he put into place

I think Obama will get backlash but if he spoke to our former primeminster he would learn alot

What the American goverment needs to do is stick together on this and fight what is right

Every child and and adult should feel safe where ever they are and not be scared to venture into a shopping centre or school and of cause a cinema

I know that some people still want there guns but then you have some poople who want to feel e safe as they go about there life

A

Last edited by Bondgirl; 12-19-2012 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 PM
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/n...t/index_1.html

This is a story bout the Port Aurther masscare

There are several chapters from the crime libary so take your time to go through it but there are images and the man who did the shooting in it


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crJdIUAnvZ8

This is the actual footage of a person who was filming this when it was happening

I am showing you these things so you can see that we have to do something about guns and if you have guns you have proper lineices and be giving a test to see if you are fit to have a gun
But in my opinion it is better to get all guns off the streets

If you dont want to watch the clip dont because it is upsetting to see and hear gun shots

In the pot Aurther masscare two beautiful children were killed and also there mum who was trying to hide them from this killer the trio run into the te=ree land thinking they would get away but he caught up with them

There are several clips here you might want to look at if you are interested it is victims and personal accounts



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Bryant the shooter of the port aurther masscare



http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...FORM=VDRE#x0y0


Okay this is our current gun laws in Australia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia

Last edited by Bondgirl; 12-19-2012 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
Did you watch the Australian video I posted? Or do you just enjoy being a bootlicking supplicant(that's not an insult, THAT is a fact) of the stasi(state)?

I had no idea there were so many people(bootlicking supplicants) who still thought this way. And I hate to keep bringing up propaganda, since we now have the internet and people can do their own research. But for fuck sake, has the internet just made people MORE lazy? I'm starting to wonder.

If anything the internet has made people not understand simple sarcasm, because you obviously missed it in my post. Get off your high horse because you make the rest of us look bad.
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Like l said once before some members have diffrent opinions we are all not the same at times

Please do not start fighting in this thread because for gods sake it is a good topic it would be a shame if it was closed just like another thread was a day ago
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Typical liberal response on video - Provide facts to a liberal and all you get is insults

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=df3_1355948121
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanIdaho View Post
Provide facts to a liberal and all you get is insults

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=df3_1355948121
"Brits tend to do that"

Typical xenophobic nutjob.

The 2nd Amendment argument is dead. Get some perspective.

Yes, let's strap every teacher with a gun. To even have a chance against someone with a semi-automatic weapon and wearing bullet proof gear, the teachers would also need to carry a similar gun. What are teachers going to have these strapped over their shoulders? Oh sorry Jimmy, excuse my rifle while I bend over your chair to pick up some crayons.

Are you going to force them to have these guns?

Note: your job description now entails that you have to be strapped with a semi-automatic rifle. If you do not abide, you may not be a teacher.

But oh, they don't have to carry them. They can be stored, you say? In order to prevent children from having access to the gun, they would have to be locked in a case, out of reach from the children. By the time the teacher gets to the case and unlocks it, the same amount of children are dead as if there were no gun in the school at all.

But, but... we could have armed guards at the front door. Is that where we want society to head?

Piers Morgan may be loud and obnoxious, but he presents the only facts in that video that actually mean anything. You need some context for the "Our rates are lower where we have more guns" argument. Other variables could certainly be involved there.

There is a reason why the number of gun deaths in the US is exponentially higher than other countries. The failure to recognize that is baffling.

But as Mr. Guiltless suggested... let's strap every citizen with a semi-automatic weapon. Let's put semi-automatic weapons in the hands of mentally ill people who would otherwise not have access to them if there was the slightest bit of reasonable gun control. But, but... anyone can get a gun if they really want one. Well then why doesn't that increase the rate of gun related deaths in other countries?

And don't bother with your Buckeye Firearms document. A bunch of context free "facts" being listed by a bunch of gun hungry individuals who think there should be extended prison sentences for petty crime. Give me a break.

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-19-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanIdaho View Post
If anything the internet has made people not understand simple sarcasm, because you obviously missed it in my post. Get off your high horse because you make the rest of us look bad.
Ah ok. You'll have to forgive my semi-automatic(pun intended) reaction to posts as the amount of rational people in this thread I can count on one hand.
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Doesnt really matter. The President is going to draw up several things, probably a sale ban on semi-automatic rifles and big magazines, no later than January.

Quote:
Yes, let's strap every teacher with a gun. To even have a chance against someone with a semi-automatic weapon and wearing bullet proof gear, the teachers would also need to carry a similar gun. What are teachers going to have these strapped over their shoulders? Oh sorry Jimmy, excuse my rifle while I bend over your chair to pick up some crayons.
Not only that, but like I've said a million time, statistically, it's more dangerous to hav a gun around, PERIOD. If every teacher carried a gun, school would become more dangerous. Not necessarily just from massacres, but just plain OVERALL.

I wouldnt want to put my kid in a school like that. I doubt many would.

And you have to figure the quality of education would go down even further. I couldnt imagine many teachers honestly being for carrying a weapon. So Education would get worse, and thats really the reason we're in this mess of a country in the first place. We're all dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 12-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanIdaho View Post
Yea because he is the only one ignoring posts/facts in this thread (>_<)
If there were any facts from the other side, I might have something to actually ignore.

More likely, it's just more "But... But! Crime will go up and we'll be defenseless!" Despite statistics featuring literally millions of citizens declaring otherwise.

I honestly think he's just trolling now. Dont feed it.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 12-19-2012, 10:48 PM
As for the continuing argument of "lets ban cars too!". Well, we do things all the time to make cars safer. In fact, the safest cars are typically among the highest selling. And not just for ourselves, but for the environment. Car accidents happen all the time, sure, but WE DO THINGS TO MAKE THEM SAFER.

Which is exactly why firearms will overtake car accidents as the leading cause of non-medical death by 2015.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...s-by-2015.html
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 12-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanIdaho View Post
Typical liberal response on video - Provide facts to a liberal and all you get is insults

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=df3_1355948121
Well if you feel like that maybe it is better to not respond to that person and be look at other posts,which you might like
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 PM
More Guns, More Mass Shootings—Coincidence?
America now has 300 million firearms, a barrage of NRA-backed gun laws—and record casualties from mass killers.
By Mark Follman on Wed. September 26, 2012 2:00 AM PDT


Update, December 15: Click here for our latest coverage of the Newtown school massacre. This story has been updated to include data from that event.

In the fierce debate that always follows the latest mass shooting, it's an argument you hear frequently from gun rights promoters: If only more people were armed, there would be a better chance of stopping these terrible events. This has plausibility problems—what are the odds that, say, a moviegoer with a pack of Twizzlers in one pocket and a Glock in the other would be mentally prepared, properly positioned, and skilled enough to take out a body-armored assailant in a smoke- and panic-filled theater? But whether you believe that would happen is ultimately a matter of theory and speculation. Instead, let's look at some facts gathered in a two-month investigation by Mother Jones.



MoJo's map, timeline, and analysis of 30 years of mass shootings in America.

In the wake of the slaughters this summer at a Colorado movie theater and a Sikh temple in Wisconsin, we set out to track mass shootings in the United States over the last 30 years. We identified and analyzed 62 of them, and one striking pattern in the data is this: In not a single case was the killing stopped by a civilian using a gun. Moreover, we found that the rate of mass shootings has increased in recent years—at a time when America has been flooded with millions of additional firearms and a barrage of new laws has made it easier than ever to carry them in public. And in recent rampages in which armed civilians attempted to intervene, they not only failed to stop the shooter but also were gravely wounded or killed.

America has long been heavily armed relative to other societies, and our arsenal keeps growing. A precise count isn't possible because most guns in the United States aren't registered and the government has scant ability to track them, thanks to a legislative landscape shaped by powerful pro-gun groups such as the National Rifle Association. But through a combination of national surveys and manufacturing and sales data, we know that the increase in firearms has far outpaced population growth. In 1995 there were an estimated 200 million guns in private hands. Today, there are around 300 million—about a 50 percent jump. The US population, now over 314 million, grew by about 20 percent in that period. At this rate, there will be a gun for every man, woman, and child before the decade ends.

There is no evidence indicating that arming Americans further will help prevent mass shootings or reduce the carnage, says Dr. Stephen Hargarten, a leading expert on emergency medicine and gun violence at the Medical College of Wisconsin. To the contrary, there appears to be a relationship between the proliferation of firearms and a rise in mass shootings: By our count, there have been two per year on average since 1982. Yet 25 of the 62 cases we examined have occurred since 2006. This year alone there have already been seven mass shootings—and a record number of casualties, with more than 140 people injured and killed.

Armed civilians attempting to intervene are actually more likely to increase the bloodshed, says Hargarten, "given that civilian shooters are less likely to hit their targets than police in these circumstances." A chaotic scene in August at the Empire State Building put this starkly into perspective when New York City police officers confronting a gunman wounded nine innocent bystanders.

Surveys suggest America's guns may be concentrated in fewer hands today: Approximately 40 percent of households had them in the past decade, versus about 50 percent in the 1980s. But far more relevant is a recent barrage of laws that have rolled back gun restrictions throughout the country. In the past four years, across 37 states, the NRA and its political allies have pushed through 99 laws making guns easier to own, easier to carry in public, and harder for the government to track.


The NRA surge: 99 laws rolling back gun controls in 37 states.

Among the more striking measures: Eight states now allow firearms in bars. Law-abiding Missourians can carry a gun while intoxicated and even fire it if "acting in self-defense." In Kansas, permit holders can carry concealed weapons inside K-12 schools, and Louisiana allows them in houses of worship. Virginia not only repealed a law requiring handgun vendors to submit sales records, but the state also ordered the destruction of all such previous records. More than two-thirds of these laws were passed by Republican-controlled statehouses, though often with bipartisan support.

The laws have caused dramatic changes, including in the two states hit with the recent carnage. Colorado passed its concealed-carry measure in 2003, issuing 9,522 permits that year; by the end of last year the state had handed out a total of just under 120,000, according to data we obtained from the County Sheriffs of Colorado. In March of this year, the Colorado Supreme Court ruled that concealed weapons are legal on the state's college campuses. (It is now the fifth state explicitly allowing them.) If former neuroscience student James Holmes were still attending the University of Colorado today, the movie theater killer—who had no criminal history and obtained his weapons legally—could've gotten a permit to tote his pair of .40 caliber Glocks straight into the student union. Wisconsin's concealed-carry law went into effect just nine months before the Sikh temple shooting in suburban Milwaukee this August. During that time, the state issued a whopping 122,506 permits, according to data from Wisconsin's Department of Justice. The new law authorizes guns on college campuses, as well as in bars, state parks, and some government buildings.

And we're on our way to a situation where the most lax state permitting rules—say, Virginia's, where an online course now qualifies for firearms safety training and has drawn a flood of out-of-state applicants—are in effect national law. Eighty percent of states now recognize handgun permits from at least some other states. And gun rights activists are pushing hard for a federal reciprocity bill—passed in the House late last year, with GOP vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan among its most ardent supporters—that would essentially make any state's permits valid nationwide.

Indeed, the country's vast arsenal of handguns—at least 118 million of them as of 2010—is increasingly mobile, with 69 of the 99 new state laws making them easier to carry. A decade ago, seven states and the District of Columbia still prohibited concealed handguns; today, it's down to just Illinois and DC. (And Illinois recently passed an exception cracking the door open to carrying). In the 62 mass shootings we analyzed, 54 of the killers packed handguns—including in all 15 of the mass shootings since the surge of pro-gun laws began in 2009.

In a certain sense the law was on their side: nearly 80 percent of the killers in our investigation obtained their weapons legally.

We used a conservative set of criteria to build a comprehensive rundown of high-profile attacks in public places—at schools, workplaces, government buildings, shopping malls—though they represent only a small fraction of the nation's overall gun violence. The FBI defines a mass murderer as someone who kills four or more people in a single incident, usually in one location. (As opposed to spree or serial killers, who strike multiple times.) We excluded cases involving armed robberies or gang violence; dropping the number of fatalities by just one, or including those motives, would add many, many more cases. (More about our criteria here.)

There was one case in our data set in which an armed civilian played a role. Back in 1982, a man opened fire at a welding shop in Miami, killing eight and wounding three others before fleeing on a bicycle. A civilian who worked nearby pursued the assailant in a car, shooting and killing him a few blocks away (in addition to ramming him with the car). Florida authorities, led by then-state attorney Janet Reno, concluded that the vigilante had used force justifiably, and speculated that he may have prevented additional killings. But even if we were to count that case as a successful armed intervention by a civilian, it would account for just 1.6 percent of the mass shootings in the last 30 years.

1.6 Percent.

More broadly, attempts by armed civilians to stop shooting rampages are rare—and successful ones even rarer. There were two school shootings in the late 1990s, in Mississippi and Pennsylvania, in which bystanders with guns ultimately subdued the teen perpetrators, but in both cases it was after the shooting had subsided. Other cases led to tragic results. In 2005, as a rampage unfolded inside a shopping mall in Tacoma, Washington, a civilian named Brendan McKown confronted the assailant with a licensed handgun he was carrying. The assailant pumped several bullets into McKown and wounded six people before eventually surrendering to police after a hostage standoff. (A comatose McKown eventually recovered after weeks in the hospital.) In Tyler, Texas, that same year, a civilian named Mark Wilson fired his licensed handgun at a man on a rampage at the county courthouse. Wilson—who was a firearms instructor—was shot dead by the body-armored assailant, who wielded an AK-47. (None of these cases were included in our mass shootings data set because fewer than four victims died in each.)

Appeals to heroism on this subject abound. So does misleading information. Gun rights die-hards frequently credit the end of a rampage in 2002 at the Appalachian School of Law in Virginia to armed "students" who intervened—while failing to disclose that those students were also current and former law enforcement officers, and that the killer, according to police investigators, was out of ammo by the time they got to him.

How do law enforcement authorities view armed civilians getting involved? One week after the slaughter at the Dark Knight screening in July, the city of Houston—hardly a hotbed of gun control—released a new Department of Homeland Security-funded video instructing the public on how to react to such events. The six-minute production foremost advises running away or otherwise hiding, and suggests fighting back only as a last resort. It makes no mention of civilians using firearms.Screen shot: City of Houston video on mass shooters.

Law enforcement officials are the first to say that civilians should not be allowed to obtain particularly lethal weaponry, such as the AR-15 assault rifle and ultra-high-capacity, drum-style magazine used by Holmes to mow down Batman fans. The expiration of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban under President George W. Bush in 2004 has not helped that cause: Seven killers since then have wielded assault weapons in mass shootings.

But while access to weapons is a crucial consideration for stemming the violence, stricter gun laws are no silver bullet. Another key factor is mental illness. A major New York Times investigation in 2000 examined 100 shooting rampages and found that at least half of the killers showed signs of serious mental health problems. Our own data reveals that the majority of mass shootings are murder-suicides: In the 62 cases we analyzed, 36 of the shooters killed themselves. Others may have committed "suicide by cop"—seven died in police shootouts. Still others simply waited, as Holmes did in the movie theater parking lot, to be apprehended by authorities. Drum-style magazine for assault rifles Brownells.com

Mental illness among the killers is no surprise, ranging from paranoid schizophrenia to suicidal depression. But while some states have improved their sharing of mental health records with federal authorities, millions of records reportedly are still missing from the FBI's database for criminal background checks.

Hargarten of the Medical College of Wisconsin argues that mass shootings need to be scrutinized as a public health emergency so that policy makers can better focus on controlling the epidemic of violence. It would be no different than if there were an outbreak of Ebola virus, he says—we'd be assembling the nation's foremost experts to stop it.

But real progress will require transcending hardened politics. For decades gun rights promoters have framed measures aimed at public safety—background checks, waiting periods for purchases, tracking of firearms—as dire attacks on constitutional freedom. They've wielded the gun issue so successfully as a political weapon that Democrats hardly dare to touch it, while Republicans have gone to new extremes in their party platform to enshrine gun rights. Political leaders have failed to advance the discussion "in a credible, thoughtful, evidence-driven way," says Hargarten.

In the meantime, the gun violence in malls and schools and religious venues continues apace. As a superintendent told his community in suburban Cleveland this February, after a shooter at Chardon High School snuffed out the lives of three students and injured three others, "We're not just any old place, Chardon. This is every place. As you've seen in the past, this can happen anywhere."

Additional research contributed by Deanna Pan and Gavin Aronsen.

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/20...-investigation
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 12-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
If there were any facts from the other side, I might have something to actually ignore.
I provided a link to a pdf with plenty of facts that you have ignored.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 12-20-2012, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
As for the continuing argument of "lets ban cars too!". Well, we do things all the time to make cars safer. In fact, the safest cars are typically among the highest selling. And not just for ourselves, but for the environment. Car accidents happen all the time, sure, but WE DO THINGS TO MAKE THEM SAFER.

Which is exactly why firearms will overtake car accidents as the leading cause of non-medical death by 2015.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...s-by-2015.html

Right, and there are all sort of laws in place to minimize things like auto accidents, drownings, fires, etc. That's what gets me - the comparison of something that we don't want stricter laws on to things that have stricter laws on them, both on the basis of why the laws are/would be put in place.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Law-abiding Missourians can carry a gun while intoxicated and even fire it if "acting in self-defense."
Looks like a nice place to go on vacation.

btw loved your input and i agree with most of it but the Mother Jones chart looks deceptive.

1.trying to find the link but i read somewhere that only 2 crimes were commited with legal AR since the 30s.

2. The Sandy Hook shooter weapons were legal .... but owned by his mother who thought him to shoot them KNOWINGLY AWARE HER SON HAD A MENTAL ILLNESS. She got killed by her own guns. Talk about karma.

I'm not sure how it works in the US but here in the great white north , storage is a liability. If someone commits a crime with your guns , you are as responsible unless you can prove you stored them properly.

a- gun and ammo are kept in separated locations
b- you used a keylock protection on the trigger
c- gun are stored in a dedicated unit ( like a casing or a closet) and not lying around on a rack in the living room or a bedside drawer.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 12-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
Looks like a nice place to go on vacation.

btw loved your input and i agree with most of it but the Mother Jones chart looks deceptive.

1.trying to find the link but i read somewhere that only 2 crimes were commited with legal AR since the 30s.

2. The Sandy Hook shooter weapons were legal .... but owned by his mother who thought him to shoot them KNOWINGLY AWARE HER SON HAD A MENTAL ILLNESS. She got killed by her own guns. Talk about karma.

I'm not sure how it works in the US but here in the great white north , storage is a liability. If someone commits a crime with your guns , you are as responsible unless you can prove you stored them properly.

a- gun and ammo are kept in separated locations
b- you used a keylock protection on the trigger
c- gun are stored in a dedicated unit ( like a casing or a closet) and not lying around on a rack in the living room or a bedside drawer.
Yeah, and that's probably something Obama is gonna look really closely at. In gun-controlled countries, proper storage is always mandated. And if he cant get guns - or even assault rifles - totally banned, he could still get that done and it would still be a positive step.

MY prediction for the next 40-50 years on this issue, is that a few little things will get passed soon, and then at some point a Republican president is going to take office, repeal them or let them expire, there will be a huge uptick in gun crimes again and we'll all do this exact dance again. Just like what we're doing with Women's Rights. (Which is also a perfect example of the stupidity/resistance to logic that the Republican party exerts.)
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 12-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Yeah, and that's probably something Obama is gonna look really closely at. In gun-controlled countries, proper storage is always mandated. And if he cant get guns - or even assault rifles - totally banned, he could still get that done and it would still be a positive step.

MY prediction for the next 40-50 years on this issue, is that a few little things will get passed soon, and then at some point a Republican president is going to take office, repeal them or let them expire, there will be a huge uptick in gun crimes again and we'll all do this exact dance again. Just like what we're doing with Women's Rights. (Which is also a perfect example of the stupidity/resistance to logic that the Republican party exerts.)
He'll get his ban on sales of assault rifles, and 30+ round ammo clips, but not much more. Believe me it's not even in the realm of possibility of an all out ban on gun sales (is anyone even entertaining this thought?), and there's no way agents start going door to door to take the assault rifles that are already out there. These things will all take so long to get done, that the emotions attached to Sandy shooting will have fizzled out. I agree completely that it's the same old song and dance routine.

Last edited by Preston_79; 12-20-2012 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
Believe me it's not even in the realm of possibility of an all out ban on gun sales (is anyone even entertaining this thought?), and there's no way agents start going door to door to take the assault rifles that are already out there.
Nobody's entertaining that thought, I haven't seen it mentioned, except the fact that it will never happen.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 12-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 PM
I have always been in favor of some sort of proper storage mandate. Considering that around half of the shootings I've read about, going as far back as 1974, have been perpetrated by teenagers who can't legally purchase or own a gun, its obvious the majority stole their weapons for their rampages.

Also speaking personally, when I was very young and growing up, both my parents owned their own grocery stores and owned a firearm for each. One day, while sneaking around my parent's bedroom, like little children are prone to do, I found their revolver under the pillow of their bed. I remember being ABSOLUTELY terrified seeing it thanks to viewing countless number of after school specials where kids were accidentally killed playing with their parents'/relatives' unstored weapons. I slowly put the pillow back on top of the gun and backed out of the room.

That was EXTREMELY stupid of my parents, and anyone else who doesn't lock up weapons when they have or have the possibility of minors or the mentally ill in their home.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 12-20-2012, 01:58 PM
It is law that if someone piggybacks on my WiFi network, I am responsible for all activity that happens through that connection.

Why isn't there something like this in place for guns, outside of civil law? It seems to reason that we'd see a lot fewer cases of stolen guns, much as there are fewer cases on hijacked ISP addresses.
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 12-20-2012, 02:51 PM





Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 12-20-2012, 04:19 PM
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...257c%257c%257c
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 12-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
Bahahaha.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 PM
This thread makes me so happy I don't live in the U.S.
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 12-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
This thread makes me so happy I don't live in the U.S.
Ditto.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 12-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
This thread makes me so happy I don't live in the U.S.
You and me both, brother.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
You and me both, brother.


You are not the only ones happy you don't live here =)
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 PM

^ :>)
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 12-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourahioro View Post


I dont think it is as bad as the image above in Australia

I know at the momnet we are having problems in Sydeny with a few gun crimes but at least we can go to schoo; work and get on with our lifes

I feel we have more home avasions more than anything which they are trying to control

I live in melbourne on the outter suberbs and have never seen anyone with a gun umm only a policeman with his gun and taser
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump