Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Django Unchained

Directed by Quentin Tarantino

Written by Quentin Tarantino

Genre: Western

Plot Outline: With the help of his mentor, a slave-turned-bounty hunter sets out to rescue his wife from a brutal Mississippi plantation owner.

Starring: Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, Kerry Washington, Don Johnson, Walton Goggins, Jonah Hill, Dennis Christopher, James Remar

Rated R for strong graphic violence throughout, a vicious fight, language and some nudity.

Runtime: 165 minutes

Christmas Day can't come soon enough. The great reviews have just upped my anticipation even further.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 PM
I avoided all kinds of trailers and then Jaime Foxx had to go and say on SNL that he saved his wife. Ass.

I am betting Leo steals the movie. Not sure why he is not getting any Oscar attention for supporting actor.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I am betting Leo steals the movie. Not sure why he is not getting any Oscar attention for supporting actor.
It might be because he appears to be overacting his pantaloons off! (as usual)
Old 12-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Quote:
He's in the hunt. Just got a Globe nom and won NBR.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
It might be because he appears to be overacting his pantaloons off! (as usual)
HOW DARE YOU SIR! Leo is the best actor of his generation. Granted he looks like he is having fun, but look at the character.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 PM
I was a bit skeptical at first, but the great reviews have upped by anticipation tenfold. I'm most excited to see Sam Jackson, Christoph Waltz and Don Johnson.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Quote:
HOW DARE YOU SIR! Leo is the best actor of his generation. Granted he looks like he is having fun, but look at the character.
Haha! I will admit that his lack of subtlety may actually be appropriate for this movie.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 AM
Quote:
I avoided all kinds of trailers and then Jaime Foxx had to go and say on SNL that he saved his wife. Ass.

How's he an ass for telling the premise of the movie?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:24 AM

I'll be there XMas day
Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 AM
I won't be there Xmas day because that's a day to be with family ( ), but I will be there the next day. Between this and Les Miserables, it'll be a good day.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
How's he an ass for telling the premise of the movie?
The premise is that he tries to save her. Not that he actually does. Foxx is a bit of a knob for spoiling the outcome.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm looking forward to this
Old 12-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Tarantino has yet to let me down. I'll be seeing this Christmas Day!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:32 PM
My body is ready.

Definitely going to see this late Christmas night, cant wait!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Christmas came early for me!!!

Quick thoughts for now, I'll be writing a review for my site later on and be posting the whole thing here.

- Until the last 20-25 minutes of the film, this was the best thing I've seen from Tarantino since Jackie Brown.
- There's fewer monologues than in your typical Tarantino film, apart from an absolute classic QT one delivered by Leonardo DiCaprio towards the end, and he nails it. Think Bill's story about Superman but way more intense and sinister. Mostly, the film is filled with terrific one-liners and even better delivery.
- Overall the tracks used is typical brilliant QT music taste. There's even an original Ennio Morricone track written specifically for the film; you'll know it as soon as it starts and it's awesome.
-Musically speaking though, there is one track used that left me with a bit of a foul taste. It just didn't work and felt out of place, which is rare for a QT film.
-Also, it's fucking violent. Like, Kill Bill levels. For my own personal tastes he even overindulges in one scene towards the end.
-That one scene towards the end, where the track feels wrong and the violence is a little too gratuitous is also where the film starts to take a plunge towards messiness. It's a little different than in the script I read, and personally I just wish he'd stuck with the script. I'm willing to bet that this last chunk is why the film isn't getting through-the-roof reviews and why I think it won't win any Oscars (though nominations will be plenty)
- I'd say it's still SLIGHTLY better than Inglorious Basterds because you don't get the sense that you're watching three different movies in one here. The story is very simple, very straightforward and with very little straying off the path.
-As you might suspect, the cinematography from Richardson is spot on; gorgeous, lush, scorching spaghetti western shit. It's beautiful.
-The Franco Nero scene is awesome! What a boss this guy.
-Don Johnson is absolutely perfect as Big Daddy; hilarious and vile, having the time of his life. No one digs up washed-up stars and makes them shine again like QT does. The "bag scene" that St. Louis critics nominated for one of the best scenes of the year, is HILARIOUS and deserves the nomination.
-Ok so the absolutely best thing about this film can be summed up with three names:
Christoph Waltz: he makes you wish that he'll be in every Tarantino film from now on. The man is just a killer with the way he delivers Tarantino's dialogue. I doubt he'll ever shake off Hans Landa but he does play a very different kind of German here, and he's the absolute highlight. I'd say he shouldn't get nominated for an Oscar only cause he already won with Landa.
Samuel L. Jackson: ahhhh fuckingg finallllyyyy Sam Jackson has a role befitting of his immense talent. Stephen was my favorite character from the script, I couldn't wait to see what Jackson did with him, word has been strong and he STILL surpassed all expectations. It's a travesty that he won't be nominated for an Oscar. A fucking travesty.
Leonardo DiCaprio: sinks his teeth into the role and never lets go. I can already hear the detractors saying how he overacts it, but it suits the demented ego-maniac that he portrays and he's brilliant. Another worthy awards contender.
Having these three play off of each other in the same room makes for some of the absolute best stuff I've seen in 2012.
-The only trouble is that they make Jamie Foxx look like a bit of an amateur. The character of Django is one of the weakest QT protagonists and Foxx is just good enough, never anything beyond that. Not that he takes away anything from the quality of the film, it's just that the other three are on a completely different level. QT has a cameo and his acting is still awful but the part is hella fun.

So, final thoughts here is that the film is an overall blast. There are classic scenes, classic pieces of dialogue and exchanges, some of the best stuff QT has written actually. The trouble comes in the end where it gets a little messy and overindulgent. I'm suspecting it will get nominated for Best Pic, Best Script, Best Sup. Actor (DiCaprio - Jackson should be nominated right alongside with him), Best Cinematography, Best Costumes, Best Art Direction(?) and that's about it. I don't think QT will get a director's nomination.

Ranking wise, here's how I rate his films.

Reservoir Dogs - 9.5/10
Pulp Fiction - 10/10
Jackie Brown - 10/10
Kill Bill Vol. 1 - 8/10
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - 9/10
Death Proof - 7/10
Inglourious Basterds - 8/10
Django Unchained - 8.5/10

I recently acquired one of the best box-sets I now own, TarantinoXX, and ill be re-watching pretty much all his films again so the ratings for some might change (Haven't seen the Kill Bills in a while, only saw Death Proof once etc.) but for now that's that.

Django is definitely worthy of Tarantino's filmmography and with Dr. King Shultz he's created one of his best characters, but for those expecting Pulp Fiction type of greatness, don't, otherwise you'll be disappointed. It's still homage-revenge-indulging film-geek QT stuff here, but the performances he gets out of actors seem to be getting better and better with every film.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Fuck me, that made me excite!

Dumb it doesn't come out here until Jan 24th
Old 12-18-2012, 12:51 AM
For those interested, here's my full review: http://grapevinepics.com/django-review/
Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 PM
100 on RT makes me excited, but it sucks I have to be busy christmas weekend.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdraven View Post
100 on RT makes me excited, but it sucks I have to be busy christmas weekend.
I feel you. I shouldn't complain that I'm going to be out of the country with my family, but I know I will be itching to see this the day I get back.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
I feel you. I shouldn't complain that I'm going to be out of the country with my family, but I know I will be itching to see this the day I get back.
Just be grateful you don't have to wait until January 24th to see it, like me
Old 12-19-2012, 02:29 AM
In this movie we can see Leonardo DiCaprio in new different look. it could be a great movie.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
I'll be there XMas day
Same here..Just used Fandango and bought them for 11:30 AM.I never actually used Fandango until last weekend when I saw The Hobbit:An Unexpected Journey and realized that with the AMC Stubs card I didn't have to pay a fee
Old 12-20-2012, 07:04 PM
I saw this one last week and did not understand the motivation for the director to have Leonardo Dicaprio play the role he did. I found the film to be decent, a clear 7/10.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:11 AM
In my family, we've always celebrated Christmas on the Eve & opening presents at midnight.
So, I will have my alarm set to wake me up Christmas afternoon to watch the first showing of Django.
For me, that will be my real Christmas present.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentWakeVille View Post
I saw this one last week and did not understand the motivation for the director to have Leonardo Dicaprio play the role he did. I found the film to be decent, a clear 7/10.
The motivation is that Leonardo Dicaprio was one of the highlights in the film. He brings to life one of the most memorable Tarantino villains ever with hilarity, pizzaz and menace. Remarkable stuff from Leo Dicaps.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Just two more days.....
Old 12-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Tomorrow......
Old 12-25-2012, 05:55 AM
Today....
Old 12-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Well this has to be the most disappointing movie I've ever seen. Definitely QT's worst film.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:10 PM
good but slow

Overall, this was a very solid entry in the Tarantino filmography. Fresh, great performances, some awesome images, funny at times....but, the pacing was too slow. They just lingered a bit too much. There were also a few scenes they could have cut.

The best aspect of the film were the performances by Leonardo Dicaprio and Samuel Jackson. They were really great performances. I could definitely see how either could be considered the best supporting performance of the year. Of the two, I link Leo's performance was more important to the film...but Jackson really surprised me in this.

Several black people in my theater were talking, but not too much (surprisingly)...however, they couldn't stop looking at their cell phones. There were at least 4 blacks around me who wouldn't shut off their phones. Right before the film they have that message to silence the phone...but apparently the 4 blacks were just toooooo good for the rules. The rules apply to everyone else except them...

I hope Tarantino is done w revenge films for a while.

Last edited by markbot; 12-25-2012 at 05:40 PM..
Old 12-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Django Unchained is Tarantino having fun, my favorite QT film since Pulp Fiction. First half of the film is great; hilarious and sets the tone for a bloody trip through Mississippi. Starting around hour number two, the mood drastically shifts and turns Django from great film to good film. Review coming.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz68 View Post
Well this has to be the most disappointing movie I've ever seen. Definitely QT's worst film.
What made it worse than Jackie Brown and Death Proof? (i think those two are QTS worst)

Just asking what the movie didnt do for you? I thought it was his best since Pulp. The pace may be different but thats part of Schultz and Djangos adventure!

My ONLY GRIPE was the Rick Ross song on the soundtrack playing during the Candyland ride, awful. Other than that, for what kind of movie Tarantino was making it was almost flawless.

Its his funniest film hes ever made,and the most violent, and the most out of control. Django does have some ideas splitting at the seams, (the film is just gigantic in its scope) so that could be an issue I see others warranting. Theres almost too much in it, but IMO just ALMOST. I had an absolute blast in my theater, the audience was eating it up.

Just wondering what made it his absolute worst film for ya, IMO it wasnt even close to being his worst. The performances alone are better than the entirety of Death Proof and Jackie Brown.

ps who absolutely shit their pants during the BAG scene?
Old 12-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
Several black people in my theater were talking, but not too much (surprisingly)... at least 4 blacks around me who wouldn't shut off their phones.the 4 blacks were just toooooo good for the rules. The rules apply to everyone else except them...
Spoiler:
Old 12-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMan50 View Post
My ONLY GRIPE was the Rick Ross song on the soundtrack playing during the Candyland ride, awful
Nah, that worked perfectly for that scene. I Got a Name was also a perfect song choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMan50 View Post
who absolutely shit their pants during the BAG scene?
So damn funny. The audience lost it during that scene.

As for the film... now THAT is a film that lives up to expectations. It's the best I've seen this year. A truly epic, entertaining, beautifully shot, extremely well-acted, and often hilarious film. It's looking like Tommy Lee Jones will win Best Supporting Actor this year, but I would give it to any of Leonardo DiCaprio, Christoph Waltz or Samuel L. Jackson over him. Waltz is the great crowd pleasing character that people root for throughout the film and Tarantino's dialogue slips off his tongue better than pretty much any actor that has worked for him. DiCaprio is downright scary, and while he plays it big, I never felt he overstepped a boundary and went too over-the-top. There's a scene closer to the end where he smacks his hand on the table and breaks it on glass. During filming he actually smacked the glass and cut his hand up. It's one of those great cinematic moments where you buy everything that comes after that moment. Any time he is on screen, you could tell that the audience's stomachs were in knots. A classic villain. Then you have Samuel L. Jackson, who is pitch perfect casting. He plays the "love to hate him" Stephen perfectly. It's not just in his voice, but also in his mannerisms. With his character, one minute the audience is cracking up and the next minute you can hear a pin drop. He and DiCaprio work extremely well together.

I think the thing that gives it that edge though is that the characters always have goals or sub-goals. It's a very talky film, as expected, but I never felt that it dragged (and never sensed the audience getting restless) because there's always something that maintains the intensity. It's what makes Tarantino films so great and what makes Django one of his best films.

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-26-2012 at 12:13 AM..
Old 12-25-2012, 08:25 PM
I was truly floored by the film. After a year of disappointments, it was nice to see something else live up to the hype. Tarantino is a master of making a terrible situation into a laughable one and themes that show the ugly side of human beings while also making you somewhat understand the villainous motives. It was also nice to see a full theater with not an empty seat that was populated by movie goers of all ages and nationalities because with this type of film, it's natural to divide your audience. Nonetheless, I wouldn't call it Tarantino's best, I will say it's his funniest and most thematic. I look forward to the handful of films he's willing to make before formally retiring.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Review - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2vr
Old 12-26-2012, 12:39 AM

Just got back from this and pretty much loved it.

There was only one thing I didnt like
Spoiler:
QT's cameo. ALmost took me out of the movie.

Other than that minor complaint, I loved everything

Esp Samuel L Jackson. I hope he gets Oscar recognition

I'll add more thoughts later

9/10
Old 12-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Haha yeah. I just wish that if he had to have a cameo it wasn't in a crucial scene in the film. It was funny when he literally got blown up though.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Another QT feature I can't complain about. My favorite part was was
Spoiler:
Waltz killing the sheriff in the beginning.
Splendid acting all around & Samuel L. Jackson far exceeded my expectation.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Spoiler:
My lone complaint as well, but still a 10/10 from me.