Old 05-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Help with Session 9 ending??

Spoilers!!!!!

I watched Session 9 last night and was wondering if someone could clarify a few things. First of all, were all the workers Gordan's multiple personalities? I'm pretty sure the red headed guy was a personality but wasn't sure about the others. Also, what was the significance of the Session tapes? Were they just a way to help explain Gordan's problem as it turned out at the end? Thanks for any info.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Re: Help with Session 9 ending??

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrill Me
Spoilers!!!!!

I watched Session 9 last night and was wondering if someone could clarify a few things. First of all, were all the workers Gordan's multiple personalities? I'm pretty sure the red headed guy was a personality but wasn't sure about the others. Also, what was the significance of the Session tapes? Were they just a way to help explain Gordan's problem as it turned out at the end? Thanks for any info.
The ninth session is where you realize who "Simon" really is. He is an identity developed by someone who has been wounded or is weak. This is Gordon's case. He grew 'a Simon' and that made him kill the others.

My interpretation but I'm sure ther's more to the movie than that.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Re: Re: Help with Session 9 ending??

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
The ninth session is where you realize who "Simon" really is. He is an identity developed by someone who has been wounded or is weak. This is Gordon's case. He grew 'a Simon' and that made him kill the others.

My interpretation but I'm sure ther's more to the movie than that.
I agree with this interpretation except for one thing. I don't think Gordon "developed" Simon so to speak. Instead, I think Simon is already in all of us. You, me, and everyone else has Simon somewhere inside of them. We're just able to keep that part of us buried deep down. People who are weak, like Gordon, can't control that part of themselves.

I absolutely loved the story in this movie and the ending was perfect. The more I think about it, the more I like it.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Re: Re: Re: Help with Session 9 ending??

Quote:
Originally posted by RogueSpear
I agree with this interpretation except for one thing. I don't think Gordon "developed" Simon so to speak. Instead, I think Simon is already in all of us. You, me, and everyone else has Simon somewhere inside of them. We're just able to keep that part of us buried deep down. People who are weak, like Gordon, can't control that part of themselves.

I absolutely loved the story in this movie and the ending was perfect. The more I think about it, the more I like it.
I agree. And yes, this movie kicks mucho ass. I loved it.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:42 PM
spoiler Great movie.It's one of the few movies that actually freaked me out. I think that the last line of the session tapes," I live in the weak and wounded" could also mean something more supernatural. Maybe a demon.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:56 PM

but, I'm sure there's more to the story than that.

-Like that phone call why did it turn out the 'mean' guy had gone?
-What's with the "What are you doing here?" business?
-What's with the coin?
-What with that scene with Caruso's character meeeting two fellows and then denying it?

And that's the tip of the Iceberg. I'm sure there's more layers to the mindfuck than a simple "Split personality" gig.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
but, I'm sure there's more to the story than that.

-What with that scene with Caruso's character meeeting two fellows and then denying it?

And that's the tip of the Iceberg. I'm sure there's more layers to the mindfuck than a simple "Split personality" gig.
I think they two guys Caruso meet are the guys he buys the pot from that he smokes in the next couple of scenes. Not positive because I don't remebert if Gordon smokes with him.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:55 AM

Quote:
were all the workers Gordan's multiple personalities?
No, they were actually there, and Gordon killed them.

Just thought I'd mention that so you don't get confused, because it seems nobody else picked up on that.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Re: Re: Re: Help with Session 9 ending??

Quote:
Originally posted by RogueSpear

i agree with this, he couldnt control it so he killed the others

interesting film, although i didnt think much of it when i watched it, maybe ill appreciate it more a second time round
Old 05-05-2004, 09:44 AM
No I'm gonna have to go and say that Gordon was possesed by Simon. Whether Simon be a demon, ghost or whatever. Gordon being that he was weak and wounded allowed Simon to posses him from time to time. My basis for this is the scene where it shows Gordon aproaching the "coin guy" down that dark hallway in a flash back. He looked as if he was being controlled by something. Plus when Gordon walks into that one patients room (I'm assuming it's the girl's from the S9 tape's room) that is the first time he hears Simon calling to him.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by EVILxxx
No I'm gonna have to go and say that Gordon was possesed by Simon. Whether Simon be a demon, ghost or whatever. Gordon being that he was weak and wounded allowed Simon to posses him from time to time. My basis for this is the scene where it shows Gordon aproaching the "coin guy" down that dark hallway in a flash back. He looked as if he was being controlled by something. Plus when Gordon walks into that one patients room (I'm assuming it's the girl's from the S9 tape's room) that is the first time he hears Simon calling to him.
I disagree. Simon is just another personality weak and wounded people asume. This is more explored in the taped sessions.

And no, the others aren't other personalities.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:07 PM
In my opinion, RogueSpear said it correctly...."Simon" is an identity which exists in us all, personalising violence and hatred...which the weak and the wounded cannot control and unleash on others, effectively letting Simon take control.

Regarding your questions, X-Nightcrawler....the guy kept saying "What are you doing here?" as it was the last thing he said before he was lobotomised...you only realise this towards the end but the fact he keeps saying it before you know what's happened works wonderfully in the film's creepy favour.

If I remember correctly, Gordon says something to Caruso's character about the coin when he flips it? Like "Where did you find that!?" or something....as far as I can see here, he's worried that the other guy has discovered what he did to the guy in the basement, as he had the coin in his hand when Gordon got him.

I think Caruso's character was just buying the pot off the two guys when Gordon sees him, but again this works in the favour of the film as you begin to think that maybe he was paying them to fuck up the shitheel that stole his woman....
Old 05-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by EVILxxx
No I'm gonna have to go and say that Gordon was possesed by Simon. Plus when Gordon walks into that one patients room (I'm assuming it's the girl's from the S9 tape's room) that is the first time he hears Simon calling to him.

I have to agree with this. Simon didnt come to Gordon until he walked into that room. I always figured it was some kind of possesion/mental breakdown on Gordon's part.

Great movie.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Cool. It makes alot more sense now. I didn't pick up on the lobotomy thing till you said that Pestilence.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:13 PM
I have a better answer. It was badly done ending to an otherwise great movie. But thats just me
Old 05-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
I have a better answer. It was badly done ending to an otherwise great movie. But thats just me
I am amazed the little we agree on.

Pestilence, you just cleared this up for me big time, thanks.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:52 PM
Ill be here a while we'll agree one of these days
Old 05-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
Old 05-06-2004, 03:08 AM
Beware of Possible Spoilers

The first time I saw Session 9 I had just read a book on demons and hauntings, etc. My theory is that Simon was a demon because of the quote" I live in the weak and the wounded." I read that demons can inhabit such people. This is purely off of something I read, and doing a search on Ed and Lorraine Warren (from where I learned this fact) might yield some interesting results.

Last edited by Ginger; 05-06-2004 at 08:25 PM..
Old 05-06-2004, 09:53 PM

Quote:

First of all, were all the workers Gordan's multiple personalities?

No, I never got that impression at all.

And I think Simon was a spirit (or something similar), AND Gord was also 'losing it' at the same time.

"Hello......Gord."
Old 01-22-2012, 05:54 AM
'Simon' is a genius loci which resides within the compound. This sentient being would be described as a demon which possesses the minds of those who come into its tethered place of residence displaying vulnerable or weakened mental states. It preys on the emotional instability of its target and plants seeds into their minds that causes them to do the things they do. 'Simon' was never a split personality, rather a demonic spirit that manipulated people. The fact that it is a "guardian" of its domain within a psych ward is probably do to the fact that they harbored so many unstable minds there and festered the spirit like a predator hunting food. A story like Mary's or Gordon's is merely showing the past of what Simon has done and what it is still doing, and possibly what it will continue to always do when people come within its reach.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Session 9 is one of my favourite horror flicks ever. Fan-fucking-tastic movie, and an awesome performance by Peter Mullan who's an extremely under-rated actor. I loved the movie's setting at the Danvers Insane Asylum in Boston, MA, which has since been torn down and demolished with the exception of the front/shell part of the building. It's ashame - that place had a lot of fuckin' (creepy/crazy) history!
Old 01-30-2012, 02:48 PM
One of my favorite horror movies ever. Never stops creeping me out. As for my take on it, i felt that it was supernatural by the end, Gordon was weak, and a spirit infiltrated him and made him commit the atrocities. No one was a figment of anyone's imagination.

But the way the movie is laid out, it is so ingenious, different interpretations are entirely possible.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 PM
The last sentence in the movie is, "I live in the weak and wounded, doc." said by Simon. Simon is essentially a spirit and lives inside the mentally ill, like Gordon. The other workers are not Gordon's different personalities.

It is presumed the Gordon hits his wife, when he actually killed his dog, wife and child because he is mentally ill as also killing the other men.

For those who were wondering about the coin, Hank found valuable items in the tunnels and I believe Gordon knew about it so when the redheaded man flipped the coin, Gordon fell in a trance.