#1  
Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 PM
S I N I S T E R

SINISTER (2O12) Gripping, intelligent, unbearably suspenseful fright flick directed by Scott Derrickson, who helmed the underrated EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE from a few years back. Ethan Hawke, who’s been on a career upswing since his Oscar-nominated turn in TRAINING DAY and equally excellent performance in BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU’RE DEAD stars in one of his best roles ever as Ellison Oswalt, a famous true crime novelist and borderline alcoholic (the two usually go together, take it from me!) who becomes embroiled in the mystery of a series of brutal killings in which entire families are murdered by a devilish ghoul, who escapes with one missing child per home hoping to steal their souls in the midst of all the murder and mayhem. The diabolical figure’s modus operandi changes with each series of slayings (which include hangings, burnings, drownings and the usual stabbings & slashings). Lending terrific support are Juliet Rylance as Hawke’s confused, suspicious wife Tracy and James Ransone as innocent starstruck sheriff "Deputy So-and-So", who helps Hawke’s increasingly paranoid character during his obsessive research into a mysterious projector & Super 8 reels featuring footage of the murders found in the attic of the home where he recently relocated his family…and where the last gruesome incident occurred as the malevolent entity simply known as "Mr. Boogie" now targets Hawke's troubled children Trevor (Michael Hall D'Addario), who suffers from horrific night terrors, and aspiring artist Ashley (Clare Foley), who makes contact with the spirits of the deceased children. This old school throwback to 70's-style horror filmmaking relies heavily on the dark, dreadful, brooding atmosphere that pervades the entire film like a blackout during a tour of the Amityville house, Hawke’s virtual one-man show is an acting tour-de-force rarely seen in this type of film (as patriarchs in other similar-themed movies like Jack Nicholson in THE SHINING & Ryan Reynolds in the afore-mentioned AMITYVILLE HORROR remake went way over the top!), the finale twists will hit you like a sledgehammer even if you see it coming from a mile away, and the imagery from the creepy-as-hell old school movie reels will send shivers up your spine & make you want to sleep with the lights on! Recommended to all fans of the genre, this genuinely frightening psychological freakshow is the best horror movie of 2O12 and definitely the scariest movie I’ve seen in years! I'm with the Arrow on this one! An instant classic! My grade: A
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 PM
It was certainly the best horror film of this year i think.
Very creepy with haunting and memorable images.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 AM
I thought it was well-made and intense, but I had two significant problems with it:

1) The story just kind of plodded along and never really went anywhere. Most of the mystery is laid out for us early in the film, and then we just have scene after scene of Ethan Hawke wandering around the house with a baseball bat for an hour.

2) It's dark and morbid to the point where it just leaves a completely bad taste in your mouth when its over. That seems to be recurring thing with modern horror screenwriters - they seem to confuse grim with good. I don't think The Shining or The Amityville Horror would have been considered classics if
Spoiler:
the protagonists all died at the end
.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 AM
It's still in theaters, so I may go check it out before it gets booted out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio141 View Post
SINISTER (2O12) Gripping, intelligent, unbearably suspenseful fright flick directed by Scott Derrickson, who helmed the underrated EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE from a few years back. Ethan Hawke, who’s been on a career upswing since his Oscar-nominated turn in TRAINING DAY and equally excellent performance in BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU’RE DEAD stars in one of his best roles ever as Ellison Oswalt, a famous true crime novelist and borderline alcoholic (the two usually go together, take it from me!) who becomes embroiled in the mystery of a series of brutal killings in which entire families are murdered by a devilish ghoul, who escapes with one missing child per home hoping to steal their souls in the midst of all the murder and mayhem. The diabolical figure’s modus operandi changes with each series of slayings (which include hangings, burnings, drownings and the usual stabbings & slashings). Lending terrific support are Juliet Rylance as Hawke’s confused, suspicious wife Tracy and James Ransone as innocent starstruck sheriff "Deputy So-and-So", who helps Hawke’s increasingly paranoid character during his obsessive research into a mysterious projector & Super 8 reels featuring footage of the murders found in the attic of the home where he recently relocated his family…and where the last gruesome incident occurred as the malevolent entity simply known as "Mr. Boogie" now targets Hawke's troubled children Trevor (Michael Hall D'Addario), who suffers from horrific night terrors, and aspiring artist Ashley (Clare Foley), who makes contact with the spirits of the deceased children. This old school throwback to 70's-style horror filmmaking relies heavily on the dark, dreadful, brooding atmosphere that pervades the entire film like a blackout during a tour of the Amityville house, Hawke’s virtual one-man show is an acting tour-de-force rarely seen in this type of film (as patriarchs in other similar-themed movies like Jack Nicholson in THE SHINING & Ryan Reynolds in the afore-mentioned AMITYVILLE HORROR remake went way over the top!), the finale twists will hit you like a sledgehammer even if you see it coming from a mile away, and the imagery from the creepy-as-hell old school movie reels will send shivers up your spine & make you want to sleep with the lights on! Recommended to all fans of the genre, this genuinely frightening psychological freakshow is the best horror movie of 2O12 and definitely the scariest movie I’ve seen in years! I'm with the Arrow on this one! An instant classic! My grade: A
Great review
I saw Sinister on Saturday and loved the hell out of it..A total old school "slow burn" horror film
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-01-2012, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard_of_Meat View Post
Great review
I saw Sinister on Saturday and loved the hell out of it..A total old school "slow burn" horror film
Thanks! I'm no Arrow but I try! HaHaHa!
And great minds think alike all the way around!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2012, 01:11 PM
I saw a Sinister today in the theaters. It bears a lot of similarities with the Sinister described in the OP, but it wasn't as good as that one.The version I saw didn't have the Oscar winning roles and kinda fell flat at the end. The twist was seen a mile away and if you think two seconds about the modus operandi you'll realize it doesn't make any sense.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-18-2012, 12:44 PM
The first half hour is good, the rest sucks. I like where it was going and was fascinated with the mystery, but it goes nowhere, we learn nothing about the demon other than it's just a demon who eats children for some reason. The protagonist doesn't overcome any obstacles and the movie just ends. Pretty bad, if you ask me. 4/10
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post
The first half hour is good, the rest sucks. I like where it was going and was fascinated with the mystery, but it goes nowhere, we learn nothing about the demon other than it's just a demon who eats children for some reason. The protagonist doesn't overcome any obstacles and the movie just ends. Pretty bad, if you ask me. 4/10
That's precisely how I felt about this film too. The first 30 mins hooked me right in, but in all reality nothing happened between min 30 and everything up to the last five minutes.

I saw the ending coming a MILE away as well, after all, with so few characters what other conclusion could possibly be reached ? And the last "jump scare" seemed kinda cheap to me too..

I'd give it a solid 6/10

1000
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Hated this movie. Unoriginal, same cliches over and over, plots that went nowhere (the son), obvious stupid twist, underused villain, non-shocking scares that were played up with music. Seriously, the greatest MUSICAL CUE SCARE OF ALL TIME is in this movie. What a piece of crap this was.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Hated this movie. Unoriginal, same cliches over and over, plots that went nowhere (the son), obvious stupid twist, underused villain, non-shocking scares that were played up with music. Seriously, the greatest MUSICAL CUE SCARE OF ALL TIME is in this movie. What a piece of crap this was.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-01-2013, 07:51 AM
LOVED Sinister. Awesome atmosphere and really creepy, doesn't need to have an original story.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump