Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Requiem for a Dream

I don't think I've ever met someone who's seen this movie and said they didn't like it, or love it. They tell others that if they haven't seen it they should, it's so great.

My belief is that many, not all, so called fans of the movie are only so because of popular opinion. When my friends look through my movie collection and they see Requiem it's, oh this movie is awesome! Then I'm like, you want to watch it, and the answer is always no. My gut tells me they have no desire to watch the film again, and I don't blame them. It's often like an R rated after school special with a good soundtrack.

Seriously though, how can you recommend a movie, profess your love for it, but would probably pay money out of your wallet to not have to watch it again? So then why are you recommending it? I'm going to have to call out many supposed Requiem fans as posers.

Last edited by Preston_79; 01-03-2013 at 03:03 PM..
Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 PM
I own all of Aronofsky's films--Requiem of a Dream is easily my favorite--and I wouldn't consider myself a 'poser'. I enjoy watching the film when I'm in the mood to go on an emotional roller coaster. Otherwise, the film isn't really meant for a group of friends hanging out, eating some pizza and having a good time. However, I do understand what you mean when people call themselves fans of something but when offered the chance to watch it, they prefer not to as if a one time viewing is all they need to be considered a fan.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
I own all of Aronofsky's films--Requiem of a Dream is easily my favorite--and I wouldn't consider myself a 'poser'. I enjoy watching the film when I'm in the mood to go on an emotional roller coaster. Otherwise, the film isn't really meant for a group of friends hanging out, eating some pizza and having a good time.
This. I watch it probably once or twice a year and while entertaining isn't exactly the right word for it, it's a very emotionally engaging film that is easy to watch even if it's not "easy to watch", if you catch my drift. It's extremely well-paced, emotional, and energetic. However, if you're getting together with your friends for a good time, something upbeat and fun will probably take preference over something like Requiem for a Dream (although watching it high is always an interesting experience).

For some people though, I can see the movie being too emotionally overwhelming to have the desire to watch it again. In that case, they may say that it is a great film that they would recommend, but it's not something they would re-watch like they would something like Pulp Fiction.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Requiem for a Dream is a great film but it is so fucking depressing that no one should willingly want to re-watch it.

I bought the dvd after i saw the movie in theater and only really watched it once in like 10 years. This movie is so powerful that one viewing is enough.

Just watching the GMS - Juice video gives me shivers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKzPH-9G-7Q
Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Rewatchability is not the only factor you go about measuring how much you like a film.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Rewatchability is not the only factor you go about measuring how much you like a film.
i thought that was my point
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 PM
I pretty much agree with what's already been said. It's an excellent film, as are the rest of Aronofsky's films, but it's so emotionally draining that it doesn't really beg for a watch when you're hanging out with friends.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Don't people just like it for the ass-to-ass scene?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
i thought that was my point
Who me?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:55 PM
i guess so .. because it's a reply to your post
Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Oh ok mine was a reply to the OP.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Schindler's List is my favorite film of the 90's but its far from my most watched film.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald View Post
Don't people just like it for the ass-to-ass scene?
So HAWT!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:28 PM
the last 15 minutes of this film is flat out insane.

Love this film and I try to watch it at least once a year. Its one of my favorites from the 2000s and the best film(imo) of 2000 . That said, I wouldn't recommend this to an avg movie goer(way too hardcore). But to a serious film buff? Oh hell yes.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Maybe I'm a bit weird, but I don't really think this movie is as dark and difficult to watch as everyone makes it out to be. I can easily look past the heavy subject matter and all I see are virtuoso acting performances all around. Ellen Burstyn got so fucking robbed on an Oscar for this.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Ellen Burstyn got so fucking robbed on an Oscar for this.
Agreed. Who the hell won it that year anyways? Julia Roberts for Erin Brockovich? Such bullshit
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Amazing film. I recently upgraded my copy to Blu last month. It's a film that I can only watch around once a year, as its very depressing.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Agreed. Who the hell won it that year anyways? Julia Roberts for Erin Brockovich? Such bullshit
true dat ! and yes i checked ... Juila Roberts did win.

The main problem i think was screentime ... while Julia is that Erin movie , Ellen is just another character in the bunch. She does nail the speed-induced paranoia like a champ. Would have won easily if nominated in a supporting role.