Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Promised Land

Synopsis: Corporate salesperson Steve Butler and his sales partner Sue Thomason visit a rural town to buy drilling rights from local residents who seek relief after the recent economic decline. They encounter resistance from a schoolteacher, who is supported by a grassroots campaign organized by another man who seeks to rival Butler.

Starring: Matt Damon, John Krasinski, Frances McDormand, Rosemary Dewitt, Scoot McNairy, Titus Welliver, Terry Kinney, Hal Holbrook

Running Time: 106 minutes

Directed by Gus Van Sant

Anyone seen this yet? I'm planning on checking it out soon, looks pretty interesting.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 AM
Wha??

This is Promised Land!? I thought all this time Promised Land was the new Matt Damon movie which takes place in a science fiction setting, where Matt's character has to challenge and take down the powers that be. He plays a vigilante from the future, bent on changing things.

The movie was supposed to have a very urban, cybernetic futuristic feel to it and star all the big hits like Morgan Freeman and Frances Mcdormand. This film looks absolutely nothing like it at all, looks to take place in a rural country town and Matt Damon's rival isn't here either.

Did I get these movies confused somehow? I thought it was called Promised Land, but now I wonder if it is a movie beginning with the letter "E" for Elysium/phraim or something. It definitely has Matt Damon as the lead actor, as he chose to shoot the movie instead of a new Bourne film.

Does anyone know what I'm speaking of here who can clarify? Appreciate it.

Last edited by ResidentWakeVille; 01-07-2013 at 03:54 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentWakeVille View Post
This is Promised Land!? I thought all this time Promised Land was the new Matt Damon movie which takes place in a science fiction setting, where Matt's character has to challenge and take down the powers that be. He plays a vigilante from the future, bent on changing things.

The movie was supposed to have a very urban, cybernetic futuristic feel to it and star all the big hits like Morgan Freeman and Frances Mcdormand. This film looks absolutely nothing like it at all, looks to take place in a rural country town and Matt Damon's rival isn't here either.

Did I get these movies confused somehow? I thought it was called Promised Land, but now I wonder if it is a movie beginning with the letter "E" for Elysium/phraim or something. It definitely has Matt Damon as the lead actor, as he chose to shoot the movie instead of a new Bourne film.

Does anyone know what I'm speaking of here who can clarify? Appreciate it.
Yes, you confused it with Elysium
Old 01-08-2013, 12:16 AM
This movie has some of the worst TV spots I've ever seen.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 AM
I plan to see it sometime this week. Can't wait. I think it looks terrific and I love the cast and the director. Plus, this being Damon's second stab at writing, it'll be interesting to see how this compares to Good Will Hunting, especially since it reteams him with that movie's director.