Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't think the number of nominations matters as much as it used to. I'd love it if Life of Pi won in the big categories, but I only seeing it winning in technical categories (like Hugo). The only thing that it really has going for it is that Lee got the BAFTA nomination over Spielberg, but given the circumstances, it doesn't really look like that matters anymore.

Spielberg has this shit wrapped up.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Bourne - I'm curious why you don't see Russell winning. I think he's a huge reason why the movie is as great as it is. That's actually a very difficult film to pull off. In the wrong hands, it could have been a disaster. It's such a delicate balancing act he pulls off brilliantly in the movie, in terms of the movie's tone. It's actually quite a feat he pulled off.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Kathryn Bigelow not getting nominated really makes no sense to me. ZDT is so far and away the best film of the year and the Academy gets on their high horse and says F U...get real.

12 nominations for boring ass Lincoln, Oscar Bait to the fullest. I loved Life of Pi when I saw it at the NYFF but 11 nominations, didn't think it would ever be that high.

I hope SLP shocks the world and steals director from Spielberg. I'm in full F U Lincoln mode. (also because Sasha Stone on twitter won't STFU about it)

Also very happy that The Master got nominations for Phoenix which I thought wouldn't happen even though he's my pick for best actor, Adams and Hoffman got noms too. Why didn't PTA get a director nom?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM
love the fact Skyfall got 5 nominations
Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Bourne - I'm curious why you don't see Russell winning. I think he's a huge reason why the movie is as great as it is. That's actually a very difficult film to pull off. In the wrong hands, it could have been a disaster. It's such a delicate balancing act he pulls off brilliantly in the movie, in terms of the movie's tone. It's actually quite a feat he pulled off.
I don't disagree that he did a great job (the film is in my top 10 of the year and I'd love to see him win), but it's tough to win without a DGA or BAFTA nomination.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I don't think the number of nominations matters as much as it used to. I'd love it if Life of Pi won in the big categories, but I only seeing it winning in technical categories (like Hugo). The only thing that it really has going for it is that Lee got the BAFTA nomination over Spielberg, but given the circumstances, it doesn't really look like that matters anymore.

Spielberg has this shit wrapped up.
You could be right, of course, but I don't see them giving Spielberg a third Oscar. It's possible, but I'm not convinced yet. The directing category is so unpredictable, I wouldn't be surprised if Russell, Haneke or even Lee won based on the amount of love all their movies got.

I don't think any of the four acting SLP nominees have a chance except Lawrence and maybe DeNiro, but I'm thinking Chastain will prevail with Actresses because of the ZD30 snub and DeNiro could upset over Jones if they decide that one acting Oscar for Lincoln is enough.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
I don't think any of the four acting SLP nominees have a chance except Lawrence and maybe DeNiro, but I'm thinking Chastain will prevail with Actresses because of the ZD30 snub and DeNiro could upset over Jones if they decide that one acting Oscar for Lincoln is enough.
SLP is nominated in so many categories that it's not gonna go home empty handed, so Lawrence has more momentum on her side. ZD30 getting snubbed for director means the film doesn't have the support it may have had. I never really thought it was the frontrunner, really. I tend to think it was always critics award friendly and left many in the Academy cold (even if they respected it). They like getting warm and fuzzy more than left at arms length.

Or, it would be a great thing if Lawrence and Chastain block each other with passion votes for both camps, and Riva sneaks through for the win. On her frickin' birthday, of all days. That would be something.

Last edited by Lazy Boy; 01-10-2013 at 11:20 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens at the Golden Globes. Not that it would be indicative of anything, but it would be hilarious if they awarded Argo or Zero Dark Thirty in the big categories.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Yeah, how awkward is it now for Affleck and Bigelow to have to attend ceremonies like the GG or DGA, knowing that it's kind of pointless in the end.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Quote:
You could be right, of course, but I don't see them giving Spielberg a third Oscar. It's possible, but I'm not convinced yet. The directing category is so unpredictable, I wouldn't be surprised if Russell, Haneke or even Lee won based on the amount of love all their movies got.
Some people have said the same thing DDL not winning because he's already won twice. But I don't see any of his competition winning. DDL will be a 3 time winner I believe. It's too amazing a performance for him not to win IMO.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Wow. Wow. Wow. Some shocking snubs here.

Even though it's getting hated quite a bit here, I'm pleased with The Beasts nominations.

Silver Linings Playbook is the first movie since Reds to get nominated for all four acting categories.

I don't have much else to say, except that with Bigelow and Affleck gone, Lincoln and Spielberg pretty much have this.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM
so just like Inception and Christopher Nolan, this years Best Director gets screwed out of that catagory but gets a Best Picture Nom (Ben Affleck for Argo)

The last 20 minutes of Argo alone mean Affleck should have WON the oscar let alone been nominated.

I have yet to see Zero Dark Thirty (going tomorrow), but i can already tell you Bigelow got fucked!

I enjoyed Lincoln a lot, but I truly dont think Spielberg did anything AMAZING the way Affleck did with Argo... very disappointed
Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Quote:
I agree. I'm pulling very much for Haneke.

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but have we ever really seen things shake out that way, with the love being spread around for different major films? It's not like the Academy gets to confer in a room and spread out the votes. I hope you're correct, but I think we could end up with goofy winners all around.

I still get none of the love for SLP... Chastain was horribly cast and the film is indie schmatlz, in my mind.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM
I hope Haneke wins if only for the tweets that his parody account would provide. He's not going to win though.

What looked like a tight race now looks like a cakewalk for Spielberg and co. now that the competition it looked like it had now doesn't exist.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm actually down with most of the nominations this year.

The Good: Recognition of Haneke and Zeitlin for Director, Phoenix getting a nomination, Skyfall in for cinematography and score (Deakins and Newman are both long overdue, and the former's chances are actually quite plausible), and just an all-around great list of nominees (I've seen everything but Les Mis and ZD30 and I think they're all worthy nominees).

The Disappointing: Alan Arkin getting nominated (I thought he was just so-so in Argo, nothing special or noteworthy at all), DiCaprio getting snubbed again, no surprises in screenplay categories (it would've been cool to see Looper or Perks get some love), and no nominations for The Master in cinematography or score.

Predictions: Considering that Lee and Spielberg are the only two directing nominees who are also DGA nominees this year, it will more than likely go to one of them. On the one hand Lee's work is the more remarkable achievement, but on the other hand Lincoln has all the hype at the moment. We'll see how things pan out...I think we may definitely have a split year on our hands.

Oh, and DiCaprio now has zero fucks left to give.

ZERO fucks.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM
REBELLE got nominated in the foreign category ... now i must watch it lol. Go Quebec Go !

Proof that canadian cinema doesn't much exist outside of Quebec. Out of the last 10 nominations , 7 came from Quebec ( just an estimate btw )

And i am not bragging , it is just sad. Canada got no bullets outside of Cronenberg , Egoyan and new comer Sarah Polley

I'd root for Canada if they had half a decent movie industry.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
I love Jackie Weaver (she owned Animal Kingdom one of the best movies of the last 10 yrs.) and so I am happy for her but when I walked out of Silver Linings Playbook I thought "Boy they didn't give Jackie Weaver much to do at all". Thinking about that movie now I can't even remember a single scene that she impressed in. I remember her standing in the background but nothing that even whispers Oscar.

Can someone remind me of a scene that warrented a nomination?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomer Pile View Post
I love Jackie Weaver (she owned Animal Kingdom one of the best movies of the last 10 yrs.) and so I am happy for her but when I walked out of Silver Linings Playbook I thought "Boy they didn't give Jackie Weaver much to do at all". Thinking about that movie now I can't even remember a single scene that she impressed in. I remember her standing in the background but nothing that even whispers Oscar.

Can someone remind me of a scene that warrented a nomination?
The scene where she asks if somebody wants a crabby snack? Oh, wait, those were most of her scenes. I love her, but if she got nominated for anything, it's for really, really subtle work that I missed.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM
I know its not likely but God I hope Phoenix wins...glad Hooper didn't get nominated.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
I know its not likely but God I hope Phoenix wins
Yeah, DDL has that sealed up. I'm just glad that he got the nom. Maybe Hoffman has a shot though? I feel like Jones will win, but you never know.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 PM
My opinion of the nominations below. Overall I think the Oscars got it more right than wrong this year, but the stuff they got wrong was REALLY wrong.

The Good.

Amour - best picture, best actress, best director. well deserved. I expected the BP and BA noms, but was still worried as the Academy has a tendency to ignore the obvious.
Naomi Watts - by far the best female lead performance this year
Best Picture List overall - pretty close to my own and most people's Top 10 lists. In terms of percentage, the hit more rights than wrongs.
Christoph Waltz - on the fast-track to a lifetime achievement. well deserved.
Joaquin Phoenix - I disliked The Master. I disliked it a lot. But despite that, i couldn't help but admire this guy's performance.
Jacki Weaver - pretty much the only person in SLP actually deserving of a nomination. Nice to see that she didn't get lost among the bigger names.
Quentin Tarantino - not nominated. rightfully so.

The Bad.

Jennifer Lawrence - gave an absolutely brilliant performance that made a mediocre film tolerable, lending grit and emotional charge to her characters every microexpression. She was fantastic and absolutely deserved the nomination...for the Hunger Games. So uhm.. yeah awkward.
Robert De Niro & Denzel Washington - just showing up gets nominations now?
Quvenzhané Wallis - talent? sure. but a cute kid with a funky haircut playing a cute kid with a funky haircut does not equal a brilliant performance.
Bradley Cooper - He gave an excellent performance in SLP. I just don't think he knew that he was supposed to be playing a history teacher.
Helen Hunt - Dear academy, how the frack was this a "supporting" performance?
Django Unchained - great entertainment? maybe. Best picture? Hell no.

The Ugly

David O. Russell - I quite enjoyed SLP. But it was basically a high-school reproduction of As Good As It Gets, with (good) younger actors, none of the weight and all the trappings of a formulaic romcom.
Flight - Original Screenplay - it's a 2hr AA advert.
Act of Killing - the most intense, difficult and unusual documentary in years. not nominated.
The Impossible (film), The Impossible (Visual Effects), JA Bayona (Direction), Tom Holland (Supporting Actor) - Easily the best film I saw this year, with only a single nomination.
Kathryn Bigelow (Director) - I'm pretty sure that if there was one "100% sure bet" on nominations this was it.
Dwight Henry (Best Supporting(?) Actor) - The overrated Beasts of the Southern Wild absolutely deserved ONE nomination. The one it did not get. I blame DeNiro!
Holy Motors (film, foreign language film), Leos Carax (Direction), Denis Lavant (Best Actor) - Not even best foreign? Nothing?
The Hunt (foreign language film), Thomas Vinterberg (director), Best Original Screenplay, Mads Mikkelsen (Actor) - another glaring omission
Tom Hooper (Direction) - there are enough serious flaws in Les Mis. to keep him from winning, but by gods, what ambitious approach!
Ben Affleck (Direction) - another shocker. the film is deceptively simple, but walking that tightrope between reality and entertainment was done masterfully.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 PM
If anyone pulls an upset for Best Supporting Actor, it's going to be Robert De Niro. The stunning showing for Silver Linings Playbook (which I'm sure has absolutely nothing to do with Harvey Weinstein) indicates broad support for the film. I frankly wouldn't be surprised to see him win. And if he does, we'll have two actors winning their third Oscars in the same year.

I still can't wrap my head around the snubs for Affleck and Bigelow. Just yesterday after the BAFTA nominations, I was thinking Argo was all but guaranteed to be the frontrunner, but...I mean, damn. What the hell.

The possibility that we're probably not giving enough thought to, however, is that Argo could become the first Best Picture winner since Driving Miss Daisy to win without a Director nomination. It got nominated everywhere else it was expected to, and it even got a surprise Sound Editing nomination. It probably won't happen, but I think it still has an excellent shot of winning the PGA, DGA, and BAFTA, which would at least make it a possibility. I mean, in a year like this, you never know.

That being said, Lincoln must be considered the frontrunner now. Life of Pi will probably sweep the technical categories like Hugo did last year, but I don't see it winning Picture, Director, or Adapted Screenplay.

That being said, is this 1998 all over again when it looks like Spielberg has it all wrapped up, but then Harvey Weinstein has his way with the Academy and they give Best Picture to a comedy that a lot of people found underwhelming? Man, would that be history repeating itself.

Also, while I don't think Haneke will win Best Director (that's totally Spielberg's to lose), I do think he has an excellent shot at winning Best Original Screenplay. If Zero Dark Thirty is pretty much out of the Best Picture race, I'm not sure they'll award its screenplay, especially since it's drawn a lot of controversy. I suppose Tarantino is a threat, but I doubt he'll win for this if he couldn't win for Basterds. I'm going with Haneke for Best Original Screenplay ala Pedro Almodovar for Talk to Her.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishop View Post
Christoph Waltz - on the fast-track to a lifetime achievement. well deserved.

The Impossible (Visual Effects)
Holy Motors (...foreign language film)
The Hunt (foreign language film)
The Impossible didn't make the long list of Visual Effects contenders and was thus not eligible for a nomination this morning.

In order to be nominated for Best Foreign Language Film, the film's country has to submit it, and each country is only allowed to submit one film. Neither Holy Motors nor The Hunt were submitted by their respective countries. Denmark submitted A Royal Affair (which got nominated), and France submitted The Intouchables (which, shockingly, did not).

Also, in regards to your first comment that I quoted, I agree that he's an excellent actor, but do you really think Christoph Waltz is lifetime achievement worthy just based on two performances (I know he's done other things, but he's really only received a lot of acclaim for his two Tarantino performances)?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeyjw View Post
Also, in regards to your first comment that I quoted, I agree that he's an excellent actor, but do you really think Christoph Waltz is lifetime achievement worthy just based on two performances (I know he's done other things, but he's really only received a lot of acclaim for his two Tarantino performances)?
I was exaggerating. Just referring to the fact that he's had so much sudden success in such a short time. (and he's VERY good).

And i don't actually review the long lists of nominations. (i didn't even know they were publically available). My commentary was based on what I thought was deserving versus what got nominated. Countries not submitting films is as disappointing as submitted films not being chosen.

Last edited by abishop; 01-10-2013 at 04:24 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Yeah, DDL has that sealed up. I'm just glad that he got the nom. Maybe Hoffman has a shot though? I feel like Jones will win, but you never know.
What's YOUR twitter handle?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishop View Post
Countries not submitting films is as disappointing as submitted films not being chosen.
I completely agree, which is why I really wish the Academy would give their foreign film category an overhaul.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Oddly enough, my least favorite category (Best Song) ended up being one of the biggest disappointments for me. I was really hoping Breath of Life from Snow White and the Huntsman would have got the nod. Oh well, just give it to Skyfall.

Speaking of which, I was not impressed by Skyfall's score at all. I can't believe it got a nod.

But Affleck has to be the biggest snub, as well as Bigelow.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post

Speaking of which, I was not impressed by Skyfall's score at all. I can't believe it got a nod.

Yeah, I didn't care for Skyfall's score either.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM
You guys remember when Harvey Weinstein said this.

“Trust me. Leave DiCaprio to me.”

Dicaprio not being nominated is Weinstein's own fault.

This category mess with Waltz really hurt him.

He also screwed The Master up pretty badly with the release. It was too early.

But still, he's having a great day since Silver Linings overperformed.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 01-10-2013 at 07:00 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Well I'm personally pleased that Waltz got in over Leo. Yes, Leo went beyond his "comfort zone". It was different from him and it is a fun performance. But I still say Waltz blew him away and everyone else in that movie.

I'm happy that The Master was snubbed in the screenplay category. I'm fine with Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman getting in, but I don't really get Amy Adams' inclusion. I love Amy Adams in general, but I didn't think her performance in The Master was anything special. I mean, like Leo Dicaprio in Django, it's something different from her. But still not really anything special.

Very happy for all of the acting nominations for Silver Linings Playbook and that David O. Russell got in though not happy that it was at Affleck's expense. I'm rooting for a best supporting actor upset. Instead of Tommy Lee Jones, I hope it goes to De Niro, though I'd love it to go to Waltz as well.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 PM
So the Critics Choice Awards ceremony is going down right now, and Affleck just won Best Director. Happy for the guy after what must have been a pretty shitty day. Started his speech with a sarcastic "I'd like to thank the Academy".

Tarantino also beat Boal for screenplay and Hoffman beat Jones for supporting.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Critics Choice Awards:

Best Editing: Zero Dark Thirty
Best Art Direction: Anna Karenina
Best Costume Design: Anna Karenina
Best Cinematography: Life of Pi
Best Visual Effects: Life of Pi
Best Makeup: Cloud Atlas
Best Score: Lincoln
Best Original Song: "Skyfall" from Skyfall
Best Original Screenplay: Django Unchained
Best Adapted Screeplay: Lincoln
Best Documentary Feature: Searching for Sugar Man
Best Animated Feature: Wreck it Ralph
Best Ensemble: Silver Linings Playbook
Best Young Actor (under 18): Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Best Actor in an Action Movie: Daniel Craig, Skyfall
Best Actress in an Action Movie: Jennifer Lawrence, The Hunger Games
Best Action Movie: Skyfall
Best Foreign Language Film: Amour
Best Sci-Fi/horror Movie: Looper
Best Actor in a Comedy: Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Best Actress in a Comedy: Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Best Comedy Movie: Silver Linings Playbook
Best Supporting Actor: Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Mast
Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Best Director: Ben Affleck, Argo
Best Actress: Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis, Lincoln
Best Picture: Argo

Last edited by ilovemovies; 01-10-2013 at 09:59 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Argo takes it!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Great. But if we've learned anything from this morning it's that no matter how much critics love a movie or its director, the Academy can piss all over it. It's funny how, even in a year where it was so hard for them to get some basic things wrong, they manage to disappoint. As if the voters all had a Skype conference call and went "OK, how can we fuck it up this year? It's pretty tough because everyone's talking about really good and deserving directors. I know, Zeitlin! O'Russell!"

Just re-watched Beasts of the Southern Wild and a wave of frustration swept over me when it finished. Two factors that make the film above average, and really invest you into it emotionally (that warm and fuzzy feeling Lazy Boy is talking about) are Dwight Henry and the score. So, snub them both and instead have first-time director Zeitlin nominated over Affleck and Bigelow, and a 5 year old playing a 5 year old over Cotillard. Hahahahahah. It's like Seth MacFarlane tried to pull a prank but made it public before it was too late to tell people what a fucking joke it was.

Insane.

As for Weaver getting a nomination? I think she has four lines in the whole film.

I don't know who's going to be winning what but I hope Affleck and Bigelow split all the awards between themselves now.

I get that Zero Dark Thirty doesn't have much support but considering that the actors are the biggest branch of voters, and that Jessica Chastain is very much loved, I see her still being a major threat to Lawrence. I hope so damnit.

Megan Ellison's reaction to Bigelow's snub is spot on: "Fucked up."

Honestly though, for those who have seen all three films here, does anyone think that Zeitlin deserves to be nominated over Affleck or Bigelow?

Last edited by DaMovieMan; 01-10-2013 at 10:49 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 PM
All of this talk is fun but I think I should remind u all that the Oscars don't meet crap. They are a complete load of garbage and don't meet squat. What matters is what u think about the film, not what they tell u what matters.

It's just the media doing its thing to brain wash u. Don't be the sheep.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
All of this talk is fun but I think I should remind u all that the Oscars don't meet crap. They are a complete load of garbage and don't meet squat. What matters is what u think about the film, not what they tell u what matters.

It's just the media doing its thing to brain wash u. Don't be the sheep.

I think we all know that, mark. bot. Still fun to discuss them. But thanks for your input.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 PM
It just seems weird. Critics' Choice BP basically always lines up with the Academy winner, and when it doesn't it's still (save for the first year) always been nominated for Best Director as the Oscars. It's not like Argo is this absolute critics darling like The Social Network was either. That's more the Zero Dark Thirty role.

It will be interesting to see how the DGA votes. I feel like the Oscar nominations will ultimately influence their vote and they will go with Spielberg. Had Affleck and/or Bigelow received an Oscar nom, it might have been a different story.

Last edited by Bourne101; 01-10-2013 at 11:07 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Quote:
I get that Zero Dark Thirty doesn't have much support but considering that the actors are the biggest branch of voters, and that Jessica Chastain is very much loved, I see her still being a major threat to Lawrence. I hope so damnit.
That's gonna be a close one. Even a SAG win won't be the deal sealer that it usually is.

Quote:
Honestly though, for those who have seen all three films here, does anyone think that Zeitlin deserves to be nominated over Affleck or Bigelow?
Can't speak for Bigelow, but while I enjoyed Beasts quite a bit, I don't think its direction was its strongest component. I'd take Affleck, easy.

Last edited by Bourne101; 01-10-2013 at 11:10 PM..
Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Something got changed with the voting system this year. Well, two things got changed but I still don't get how it's possible for them to come up with that Directors category.

1. Voting was done and sent electronically for the first time in the Academy's history.
2. The ballots were sent earlier than in previous years because nomination announcement was pushed back ( a week I think?).

Still, I'm sure they had plenty of time to watch the screeners for both ZD30 and Argo.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Yeah, screeners weren't an issue (especially for Argo). Generally they vote after the DGA nominations are released though, which gives them a template of what to vote for, especially those who just don't bother watching any of the movies. That's not a good thing, I suppose, but you see the alternative...