Old 01-10-2013, 09:08 PM

Zing.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Hahahahhaha, that's a good one Bourne.

Waltz squeezing in, even though I wanted DiCaprio there more, was one of the best things about this morning's news. What a memorable performance. Even the haters walk away thinking Waltz was good (I think anyways. Haters?)

Also, got my Django soundtrack today and it features dialogue that's not in the film. Fucking tease.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canto View Post
My lone complaint as well, but still a 10/10 from me.
You know, I was so enthralled in the movie that I didn't even mind that part. Samuel L. Jackson stole the show in my opinion, though. He was so real, and I hated him. Profound acting on his part.

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." – Rick Blane, 1942

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
I can't wait for this thread to die. This movie is so goddamned overrated on here. You'd think some of the schmoes on here got some sort of payola. It's entertaining, somewhat and has its moments; but Tarantino is definitely losing his touch. Another reason I'm reluctant to give Cosmopolis a watch. Trusted sources have sworn me off it. Cronenberg and Tarantino are my favorite directors working today; and after this disappointment, that will leave nobody left whose works I care to anticipate.
Not to add to the thread's life but I didn't even find this thing to be entertaining at any moment. Just the opposite, really. It's the reason why I waited so long to see it and it's as bad as I feared.

4/10

The word that best describes this movie is “unpleasant.” I know Tarantino crafted the film to impart the horrible nature of the subject matter. It works in that regard. Still, it’s unpleasant from start to finish and in a drawn out and poor fashion.

Part of Tarantino’s charm is that his often juvenile sensibilities shine through in all his work no matter the subject matter. His work is usually entertaining and crisp first and foremost. Here, what’s delivered is neither. There’s his trademark bloody, cartoonish violence but none of it feels rewarding or is even captivating to be honest. The unpleasant message is hammered home time and again but with no charm. I certainly wasn’t expecting a feel good film or a Charles Bronson revenge flick but I was expecting to connect with a character or two and was expecting more of a thrill ride. I found nothing of the sort in this film. What I did find is an almost three hour film that feels like five. I guess that’s part of the creative decision but he seemed to sacrifice all entertainment value for a chance to drive home his white guy guilt angle. What results is a simplistic and poorly written plot with one dimensional stereotype characters drudging through as unpleasant of a story as possible. That’s a tough way to spend three hours at the cinema.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Wasn't really hyped for this film , but boy it fucking rocked. Loved every single moment , Dicaprio and Jackson are amazing in this. Way better than some overhyped super hero gathering.

9/10
Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Not to add to the thread's life but I didn't even find this thing to be entertaining at any moment. Just the opposite, really. It's the reason why I waited so long to see it and it's as bad as I feared.

4/10

The word that best describes this movie is “unpleasant.” I know Tarantino crafted the film to impart the horrible nature of the subject matter. It works in that regard. Still, it’s unpleasant from start to finish and in a drawn out and poor fashion.

Part of Tarantino’s charm is that his often juvenile sensibilities shine through in all his work no matter the subject matter. His work is usually entertaining and crisp first and foremost. Here, what’s delivered is neither. There’s his trademark bloody, cartoonish violence but none of it feels rewarding or is even captivating to be honest. The unpleasant message is hammered home time and again but with no charm. I certainly wasn’t expecting a feel good film or a Charles Bronson revenge flick but I was expecting to connect with a character or two and was expecting more of a thrill ride. I found nothing of the sort in this film. What I did find is an almost three hour film that feels like five. I guess that’s part of the creative decision but he seemed to sacrifice all entertainment value for a chance to drive home his white guy guilt angle. What results is a simplistic and poorly written plot with one dimensional stereotype characters drudging through as unpleasant of a story as possible. That’s a tough way to spend three hours at the cinema.
Finally someone with some sense.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:37 PM
The criticism this movie gets from a few people (luckily, it's only a few) is really baffling.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Incredibly heated interview with Tarantino and British newsreader Krishnan Guru-Murthy on the touchy subject of violence in film. Tarantino gets wound up and shrieks "I'm not your slave and you're not my master. You can't make me dance to your tune. I'm not your monkey!"

I think somebody ate all the blue smarties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jRiw...ature=youtu.be

Well worth the watch.

Last edited by viceus; 01-12-2013 at 11:31 AM..
Old 01-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
The criticism this movie gets from a few people (luckily, it's only a few) is really baffling.

I just look at their past reviews of other movies and just laugh.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
I just look at their past reviews of other movies and just laugh.
Are you kidding me with this elitism shit?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guiltless View Post
Are you kidding me with this elitism shit?

Why would I kid? It's just a parameter on how serious I take someone's opinion.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
Why would I kid? It's just a parameter on how serious I take someone's opinion.
Wow. Even a doctor's? You're on a whole 'nother level man. I gotta get there someday.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Thought about the film some more, here's what I came up with.

Tarantino is actually transcending himself these days as a director. We all knew he was talented as a director, but he's reached a whole new level of maturity with this and Inglorious Bastards. The only thing that slightly undermines the impact of these films for me is his reliance on cartoony violence. I mainly direct that complaint at the big shoot out scene at candy land toward the final 20 minutes of Django Unchained. That scene was just a little too over the top considering the amount of blood and slow-mo shots of bodies getting shot up that were present in the film. It only slightly irks me, but Tarantino crafted some powerfully dramatic moments in the film that really don't call for the type of over the top pulp violence we've seen in Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

Still, moving up my original rating of somewhere between 7-8/10 to somewhere between 8-9/10.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:12 PM
was reluctant to see Django because i'm not a fan of Leo or Jamie. i am a fan of QT though, so i finally got around to seeing it two days ago. the film was pretty much how i assumed it was going to be. nothing spectacular(had it's moments), but not awful. while watching, i kept trying to compare it(filmmaking-wise) to Inglorious Bastards(which i enjoyed more). however, i just gave up since they really are their own films.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy195 View Post
One thing I noticed is usually there are strong women in Tarantino films but in this one it's more damsel in distress http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNJT3...ture=youtu.be#

Which I think is kind of refreshing really for Tarantino
You bring up a good point. I didn't really notice Hildi was more of a damsel in distress when compared to other women in QT's films when I first watched the movie. Be that as it may, I think this movie's circumstances are among the few where QT would allow this theme to shine through, don't you think?

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." – Rick Blane, 1942

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 AM
I am obsessed with Quentin movies, and I liked this one. Didnt love it. I miss his dialogue. And Jamie fox was kinda boring. Didnt do anything for me. Leo was great! The parts he was in were awesome! He was so good! I was surprised he didn't get nominated.
But, the BEST thing in the whole movie was Christopher Waltz! He was awesome!! I was so happy he won best supporting actor! The parts he wasn't in, I didn't care for! I really like him and he is becoming one of my favorite actors! So good!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Seeing this on Friday when it's finally released in this country.

Just wanted to ask is there a post-credits scene or not? Didn't search in Google in order to avoid spoilers. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Seeing this on Friday when it's finally released in this country.

Just wanted to ask is there a post-credits scene or not? Didn't search in Google in order to avoid spoilers. Thanks.
There is. It's kinda funny, but not really necessary. If you're in a rush to leave or you gotta pee or something, I'd say it's not worth the wait.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
There is. It's kinda funny, but not really necessary. If you're in a rush to leave or you gotta pee or something, I'd say it's not worth the wait.
I didn't even think about there being a post-credit scene! Completely slipped my mind. Well, I'm just going to have to see it again and wait.

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy195 View Post
Didn't realise there was a post credits scene?!

Why don't they tell that in the reviews!
I have wondered the same thing! I have missed so many post-credit scenes. My friends are always the ones who tell me about them AFTER I have already seen the movie.

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 PM
QT is killing me. I have young kids and I can only see movies at the last show of the night. This movie is too fucking long. I would have to see it at around 930 or 10 and it ends after 1 am. With all I do in life and my age, 1 am is really late for me. lol I might fall asleep
Old 02-02-2013, 12:01 AM
4.5/5

the usual great job by QT. everyone steals the movie from everyone. the only thing just like in every QT movie He sometimes fall in love with his dialog little too much
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 PM
I just found out that..

Movie critic,Roger Ebert would have give 'Django Unchained' 4 stars.:

For the record: My star rating would be: Four stars.
Yes, had I not been prevented from seeing it sooner because of an injury, this would have been on my year's best films list

Roger's "review" of 'Django'
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2013...unchained.html
Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruly2 View Post
Movie critic,Roger Ebert would have give 'Django Unchained' 4 stars.:

For the record: My star rating would be: Four stars.
Yes, had I not been prevented from seeing it sooner because of an injury, this would have been on my year's best films list

Roger's "review" of 'Django'
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2013...unchained.html
Wow. That really surprises me. I'm glad, though. He and I usually don't see eye to eye with what constitutes a great film.

Ajay Mac - AKA A.J.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:30 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 05:11 PM..
Old 02-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
I would prefer a nice dose of realism to go with my violence.
It's funny that you mentioned this. I think someguy already discussed this, but the fact is that there is realistic violence (at times). Tarantino selectively chooses the style of violence depending on the situation. Scenes such as Schultz killing the two slave traders at the beginning or the huge gunfight near the end between Django and the racist scum working on the plantation are over-the-top and done with large squibs. However, scenes such as the Mandingo fight, the dog scene, whipping scenes, branding scenes, etc. are done with sheer realism. As someguy said, it's a high wire act and something very difficult to pull off. I personally think that the decisions he made in this film with regard to violence make the film more interesting, but clearly you feel otherwise (I certainly understand).
Old 03-25-2013, 10:54 AM
At first we heard it was because his people thought it would tarnish his "image" now Will Smith tells us why he really left Django to EW - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2MP
Old 03-28-2013, 05:26 PM
It's late but oh well.

I thought Inglorious Bastards was QT's best film since Pulp Fiction and had low expectations for Django as I'm really not a fan of "westerns". However, after seeing Django, I believe it is QT's best movie ever. The story was fantastic, the acting was incredible, and the violence was just right. I can't believe I read all of the ill-will this movie received months ago because it is nothing short of brilliant!

On a scale from 1 to 10, I give it a 9.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:34 AM
Finally saw this one and typical QT. Well done and as usual a bit too long, but I love it. Pure joy for each of the nine hours. Somehow I think the realism of how slaves were treated was tame for the most part. I am not kidding. You get a good sense of the violence these poor people had to go through, but it was tame compared to their reality. I like the shooting blood better than the sword blood from Kill Bill. I think I laughed more than I should have. How Leo did not get an award is beyond me. The man can just plain act. I suspect three QT movies from now, he will be working with an Ocean's Eleven type cast. WOW! He is getting good or used to be good actors. Sam Jackson was just plain awesome as was of course Waltz. Chris Elliot would have made a great redneck.

9/10
Old 04-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
It was too long, and too silly. I would prefer a nice dose of realism to go with my violence.
yeah um you're not gonna get that with QT. At least not with the new QT.

I bought this when it first came out and gave it a rewatch. Fuckin still love it. My fourth favorite film of 2012.

QT gets so much praise for his cool dialogue, music choices and style but the thing I think that goes unnoticed with QT is his ability to build tension. The dinner table scene with Leo, Waltz and Foxx was one of the most intense scenes I've ever seen.
Ditto on the opening scene in Inglorious Basterds and the bar scene in that film as well. QT is just a master at building tension. Major kudos to him.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:06 PM
I think there's a difference between 'realism' and 'unique'. I don't think 'realism' is or should be a general requirement but uniqueness is. Of course depending on if you mean the action choreography and camera work was sloppy then I suppose I can share that criticism to an extent. But if you're negatively criticizing a film for being too stylistic then that may be your personal taste but a lot of people love that stuff including myself.

I think sometimes when a film strives to be "realistic" they sometimes forget to mix in some unique or provocative ideas and/or characters. I feel that screenwriters at times get wrapped up too much into their plots so much they forget there's outer layers and dimensions to film that can encourage aesthetic thinking from the viewer. I like films that look at life from a different perspective visually and/or through the story.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:06 PM
A reg normal shot is boring. I praise QT for his style. I laugh at the shooting blood into the air. Of course that does not happen. But it would be so boring and like everyone else to just show blood not squirting out like that. Have fun people
Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 AM
What other Tarantino movie would you compare this one too?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:17 AM
this movie was way better than I expected and it was more like Quentin Tarantino's earlier work. it's a smart movie

he did change it a lot from the screenplay draft I read. Mainly, he took out the rape scene and it didn't show Broomhilda actually getting sold at the auction.

I enjoyed a lot of the characters. I thought leonardo dicaprio's character would come across as annoying but he's actually one of the most memorable characters in the movie and he steals all the scenes he's in. Samuel L jackson's character was annoying, but still a good character.

I know it was almost three hours, but it would have been neat to see more of how Dr. Schultz trained Django to be a bounty hunter
Old 05-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentasylum View Post
Samuel L jackson's character was annoying, but still a good character.
Spike Lee's Malcolm X does a great job explaining the "house nigger" and Sam does a great job playing that part.

I don't know about you people, but after seeing this movie, I have less respect for all people who use the word nigger than usual. I honestly don't know why black people would ever say it
Old 05-03-2013, 03:04 PM
I found Django Unchained to be less exciting than Inglourious Basterds. The dialogue, except for the phrenology speech, was decent but not quite living up to Tarantino standards. The direction and cinematography seemed remarkably bland especially considering Tarantino had all the opportunity to explore his Sergio Leone fandom.
But perhaps one of the biggest disappointments was Ennio Morricone's contribution. I was expecting the collaboration to be mind blowing and one of the highlights of the film.
'The Man with the Harmonica' is one of my favorite movie themes of all time and perfectly captures the energy of the revenge duel towards the end of the 'Once Upon a Time in the West'.
However, Morricone's contribution didn't deliver. The whole of the soundtrack fell through for me. The awkward inclusion of Rick Ross, and Tupac didn't work for me. And the few western songs here and there I had heard before a million times.
Overall, I enjoyed the film. I just can't help but not feel excited for his next film.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:07 PM
I thought the opposite. this movie felt like a return to his first films. the type that when you finish watching you feel like quoting. I don't remember any lines or bits of dialogue from inglourious basterds