Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 PM
I could care less who thinks what's glossy. No shit a film made in 2006 is gonna LOOK cleaner and better then a film made in 1976, or 1980, or 1990. You're not exactly Sherlock Holmes with that. I didn't think The Departed was a glossy film at all , but if you did, that's sort of unfortunate for you because I think you're missing out on a great film. I really only found The Aviator and Hugo to be "glossy", not that I consider that an insult for those films. They were beautifully shot and made, and if being a beautiful looking movie is suddenly a bad thing, then I think I missed something. Still, that being said, you're more then welcome to your opinion, and I sure as hell don't have a problem with you preferring 70's and 80's Scorsese to today's. I personally love all his work pretty evenly, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, and The Departed being my favorite of his films.

Anyways, I can't wait for this film, assuming it really is Scorsese's next project (you never can be too sure). Clearly him and DiCaprio have a great track record and this role just seems perfect for him. Really excited to see who they surround him with, all of his recent movies have had incredible casts.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy2024 View Post
I could care less who thinks what's glossy. No shit a film made in 2006 is gonna LOOK cleaner and better then a film made in 1976, or 1980, or 1990. You're not exactly Sherlock Holmes with that.
Actually, if you read my post you'll see that I referenced Bringing Out the Dead(from 1999) as an example of one of Marty's great gritty films. So grit has nothing to do with when a film is made, but thanks for being condescending, the Sherlock Holmes comment was a nice touch.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Started reading the book last night and so far it is fantastic. It's really obvious to see why Scorsese wants to direct it. Now that I have a feel for the style and tone of the book, I'm very happy this is his next project.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Started reading the book last night and so far it is fantastic. It's really obvious to see why Scorsese wants to direct it. Now that I have a feel for the style and tone of the book, I'm very happy this is his next project.
Does it remind you of Bringing Out the Dead at all?
Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Does it remind you of Bringing Out the Dead at all?
Hmm... I think it's too soon to tell and it has been a while since I have seen Bringing Out the Dead.

I'll just say that the prologue consists of the main character being a connecter (calling big businesses and connecting them to his bosses) at a brokerage firm and at lunch during his first day his boss takes him to a fancy restaurant where the boss proceeds to snort several lines of coke at their table.

The first chapter then jumps ahead six years later where he is now in charge of everyone that was in charge of him and he is high as a motherfucker on Quaaludes ("enough to sedate Guatemala") flying a helicopter.

That's about as far as I have gotten, but I like what I've read so far.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks for sharing, Bourne, that sounds interesting. I guess I saw some potential similarities in the biographies that might have attracted Scorsese to each project. A very stressful and chaotic career, substance abuse, New York City setting, and a potential God complex from the main characters. It'll be interesting to see how this project develops.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Don't know how close both of them were, but it's finally confirmed they're both in.

http://collider.com/wolf-of-wall-str...caprio/160341/
Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 AM
I'm too tired to see if anyone else mentioned this already but .... I wish Marty was doing The Silence instead of this

The Silence sounds so interesting and the potential of Daniel Day Lewis and Benicio Del Toro, together in a movie, directed by Scorsese ... I mean, I know the story sounds more Kundun than Goodfellas but, just thinking about it gets me excited..

And now it seems like it's never going to happen. Who knows if DDL and BDT are still attached, who knows if Marty still even wants to do it. There's that Sinatra (yawn) biopic he wants to do as well and now this wolf out of nowhere.

I'm excited to see Leo and Marty back together, I think their films together are excellent (Im a huge fan of Shutter Island too, but The Departed is clearly their best) and this project, especially after what Bourne says there, sounds super enticing. But, feels a bit ... been there done that? What with Margin Call, Too Big to Fail, Wall Street 2 .. the economy is a hot subject right now but, bah, anyway. I should sleep.

Oh and I heard some whispers that Michael Fassbender might be in this. That'd be cool.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:52 AM
Because "Wall Street" is in the title, it will understandably be mistaken for films like Wall Street 2 and Margin Call. This is MUCH different than that. It's not preachy about the economy or anything like that. It's more about the excess of that lifestyle, living completely on the edge, and absolute self-destruction. Imagine Henry Hill or Jake LaMotta running a stock broking company. I haven't finished it yet, but so far it is phenomenal. If you want to compare to Wall Street, this guy makes Gordon Gekko look like fucking Elmo. A "modest night" for this guy is five Quaaludes, two grams of coke and three milligrams of Xanax.

I have also read Silence and I found TWOWS to be a better book overall. I think Marty can make Silence a masterpiece, but I think the issue may be financing and scheduling. I imagine it will get made, but I'm honestly not disappointed that Wolf is coming first.

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-20-2012 at 07:59 AM..
Old 04-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
(Im a huge fan of Shutter Island too, but The Departed is clearly their best)
I would give that title to The Aviator, but we all know how I feel about The Departed.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Because "Wall Street" is in the title, it will understandably be mistaken for films like Wall Street 2 and Margin Call. This is MUCH different than that. It's not preachy about the economy or anything like that. It's more about the excess of that lifestyle, living completely on the edge, and absolute self-destruction. Imagine Henry Hill or Jake LaMotta running a stock broking company. I haven't finished it yet, but so far it is phenomenal. If you want to compare to Wall Street, this guy makes Gordon Gekko look like fucking Elmo. A "modest night" for this guy is five Quaaludes, two grams of coke and three milligrams of Xanax.
Ha great write up and my thoughts exactly. Hopefully Scorsese gives it a Goodfellas type of feel to it.
It's been quite some time since I read TWOWS but I'll probably have to pick it up at the library to re-read it.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:28 PM
BTW I'm officially sick of biopics.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Good to hear that it's not all about Wall Street sadism and this main character sounds like a perfect anti-hero. That's my type of hero.

I'm sure it will be great. It's Marty (and this time, in a movie NOT for children), so I'll be there on day one.

Have just been anticipating The Silence for way too long.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Hopefully Scorsese gives it a Goodfellas type of feel to it.
That's how I am envisioning it. The pacing, the characters, the drugs... many similarities to GoodFellas. Scorsese and Schoonmaker are going to have a field day in the editing room with this one.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 PM
At first I was a bit disappointed that this was confirmed to be Marty's next project (if only because Silence just sounds like such a personal project), but now I'm definitely relieved to hear that this'll be more along the lines of Mad Men/Goodfellas as oppose to the typical Wall Street spiel we're all so use to now. Looking forward to hearing more about this one, especially concerning who will be acting alongside DiCaprio (a rumored collaboration with Fassbender would be insanely awesome).
Old 04-30-2012, 12:23 AM
Read the book a few weeks ago. An entertaining story of excess, and if anyone can make it work, it's Scorsese; the man can do no wrong in my opinion.

I'm curious to see how they'll treat Jordan Belfort as a character though, since (imo) he comes off like a giant arrogant douchebag in the book.

If it has one flaw, it's that he spends the entire story making excuses and justifications for every single stupid shit he pulls. Rampant drug use, prostitutes, infidelity, obscene spending sprees, not to mention all the people this sack of shit managed to rip off for so long. Ending with him pushing his wife down the stairs. But if you read the book, Belfort really comes off as not giving a crap about any of this.

In fact, his exploits are what inspired Boiler Room from what I've heard. That made a lot of sense.

Still, it could make for a decent film.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 AM
I wonder if this is going to be in 3D.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:53 PM

Jonah Hill joins the cast! He'll be playing Danny Porush. He's totally gonna kill that role.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Hopefully Scorsese gives it a Goodfellas type of feel to it.
Well, Wall Street is a different form of organized crime, so I can certainly see why Scorsese was attracted to the material.

Also, I can't fucking stand Jonah Hill, but hopefully Scorsese knows what he's doing...
Old 05-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Hill's career has really taken off.

Saw Moneyball today and I thought he was great in it(playing the timid/geeky assistant). Not sure if he was Oscar worthy(but it was a pretty weak year).

Looking forward to seeing some of the other casting choices.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Jonah Hill....in a Scorsese movie. Jonah Hill in a Scorsese movie?? Never thought I'd see the day but I've said that a lot about Jonah the last few months....
Old 05-13-2012, 01:06 AM

http://www.avclub.com/articles/kyle-...intment,73848/

The awesome Kyle Chandler has just joined the cast. As a huge fan of his tremendous work on Friday Night Lights, my anticipation is through the roof now.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:57 AM
He mine as well throw De Niro and Pesci in the mix just for the hell of it.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmKing2000 View Post

The awesome Kyle Chandler has just joined the cast. As a huge fan of his tremendous work on Friday Night Lights, my anticipation is through the roof now.
Awesome news...he was incredible on FNL's.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:39 PM
just started reading the book
Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Jean Dujardin has joined the cast! What a great decision for him. Most actors in his position end up playing a villain in a shitty blockbuster or something.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Matthew McConaughey and Jon Favreau have joined the cast!

Quote:
at lunch during his first day his boss takes him to a fancy restaurant where the boss proceeds to snort several lines of coke at their table.
McConaughey will be playing the boss, Mark Hanna.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Damn, this cast is shaping up very nicely. Can't wait to see some footage.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankpage View Post
Damn, this cast is shaping up very nicely. Can't wait to see some footage.
Agreed, and what I like is that, besides Leo, it's all people who haven't worked with Marty before. Although I'm a fan of directors building their own ensemble of actors to call on (Marty and Nolan have been the best at this), I'm also intrigued when unlikely casting choices are made.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 PM
First set pic of Matthew McConaughey in character as Leo's coked-out mentor:

Wow. He's definitely an actor who's continuing to impress and with the physical transformation he's undergone for this role and under Scorsese's direction, I have no doubt we're going to be seeing something special from McConaughey.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
First set pic of Matthew McConaughey in character as Leo's coked-out mentor:

Wow. He's definitely an actor who's continuing to impress and with the physical transformation he's undergone for this role and under Scorsese's direction, I have no doubt we're going to be seeing something special from McConaughey.
Wow indeed. And I completely agree with everything you said.

Matt's had a great year so far with Killer Joe, Mud and Bernie ( and last year's Lincoln Lawyer).

Can't wait for this.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:39 AM
It's Scorsese so I'll be there but didn't we already see this movie with Ribisi and Diesel back in 2000?

I worked at one of these boiler rooms for a very short time back in the mid to late 90's (quit after a little over 2 months when I realized what was going on). The stories of Jordan Belfort, Danny Porush, and Mark Hanna were the stuff of legend embellished and aggrandized over time as they were already out of the racket. I remember the stories and rumors that were told and passed around and all the young "brokers" were in awe of the legends. I can see it would make for an easy story. The thing is, it didn't take me long to realize this "firm" I was working for was straight stealing from people. Anyone with half an intellect could detect the complete lack of ethics within a few weeks of walking in the door. So the only ones who remained beyond that point were either complete morons (a few) or thieves (most). Seriously, these guys make the local used car salesman look like honest Abe. At least the used car guy has to look you in the eye when he lies to you.

I dug Boiler Room. It was a slick little flick, an accurate portrayal, and more than enough of a history lesson on the subject. Plus it was told from the point of view of the little guy which seems more sympathetic. Not that the "brokers" involved are any less guilty than the owners like Belfort and his gang, like I said anyone with half a brain knew what was going on. It just doesn't seem necessary to visit this subject this again.

I think a more timely and appropriate look at the greed and corruption would be a more in depth film on the recent financial crisis. Something similar to Margin Call and Too Big To Fail. But go deeper and more in depth into the connection of Wall St and DC and the corruption there. I really wish a good producer/writer/director team would do this.

Seriously, at this point, the boiler room brokers are petty thieves compared to what is going on now.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Quote:

Don't forget Early Edition!

By the way, I'm surprised no one else has mentioned the other key player in this movie: writer Terrence Winter, the creator/writer for both The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire. The idea of Terry and Marty collaborating on a feature film is something that's way overdue.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Jonah's look in the film...

Old 09-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Hahaha awesomeness! Jonah's gotta feel on top of the world these days..
Old 11-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Here's a really cool video of a scene the recently shot with Hill and Bernthal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8RUfDAB38

"The emperor of Fuckville has come down to give me a pass!"

Not all of the dialogue was completely decipherable, but I can already tell that Hill is gonna own it. Really, really excited for this one.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Here's a really cool video of a scene the recently shot with Hill and Bernthal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8RUfDAB38

"The emperor of Fuckville has come down to give me a pass!"

Not all of the dialogue was completely decipherable, but I can already tell that Hill is gonna own it. Really, really excited for this one.

Shane is going to shoot his ass.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Reading the script for this I can't wait this is gonna be crazy.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
Well, Wall Street is a different form of organized crime, so I can certainly see why Scorsese was attracted to the material.

Also, I can't fucking stand Jonah Hill, but hopefully Scorsese knows what he's doing...
"Wall Street" isn't organized crime. The financial markets are the method by which capital is moved optimally to the best investments. Investing in the economy generates new products and services that require employment of individuals such as yourself. The alternative method is communism...which didn't work out so well....did it?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
"Wall Street" isn't organized crime. The financial markets are the method by which capital is moved optimally to the best investments. Investing in the economy generates new products and services that require employment of individuals such as yourself. The alternative method is communism...which didn't work out so well....did it?
That's naive, to speak so complimentary about the financial markets as if outrageous corruption isn't endemic in that sphere. Look up the LIBOR scandal, the HSBC's drug money laundering, nobody of consequence being criminally prosecuted for fraud of enormous magnitudes, Matt Taibbi's exposures of the bailout, etc.